Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONTH OF THURSDAYS  (Read 13541 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:A MONTH OF THURSDAYS
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »

Time for me to leave for the Hospital visits of the day.
I'm beginning to think I'll look good in white. I've been visiting a friend with suspected TB. He's been cleared of that now so at least today I shall not to be masked! (Which may be even scarier).

Didn't ALW write a musical about you?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2006, 05:27:35 PM »

Any Jeopardy fans among the group who'll be in NYC the first week of October?  DH Richard and I don't think any of these times will fit into our schedule - darn!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »

I don't remember if this has been posted yet (if anyone cares, anyway ;)), but PLUTO GETS THE BOOT!  The International Astronomical Union decided Thursday to demote Pluto so that the solar system now (actually, again) has only eight "planets."  It's been downgraded to what is being called a "dwarf planet."  Very interesting.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:38:44 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2006, 05:41:06 PM »

And in THIS article, the widow of the astronomer who discovered Pluto in 1930 said that her husband would have understood the demotion.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 05:41:52 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2006, 05:41:34 PM »

WWII films:

Concur with PennyO on THE PIANIST. A nice film came out about 2 yrs ago called ROSENSTRASSE, which was a different take, but nicely done. Anyone see it?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »

What network, Maria?

Disney Channel, TCB. As I said earlier, it's the 1940's movie I've always wanted to write. It even features a mini tap dance extravagnaza. And there are several mentions of Mickey and Judy (the lead little girl admires their dancing and wants to emulate them). Sooo, I visited bk at the Collectors Showcase last month... and Mr. Rooney was there! (And didn't seem too thrilled by the fact). I told him that it was an honor to meet him and informed him that he's held in great regard in this new film. He perked up for a moment -- until he realized it was merely television. His wife was very gracious.

George

« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2006, 05:50:11 PM »

I'm off now.  I'm going to my parents' house for dinner...lasagna! ;D

Later!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2006, 05:51:31 PM »

FATELESS makes THE PIANIST look like a Disney film. Very Hungarian.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »

FATELESS makes THE PIANIST look like a Disney film. Very Hungarian.

glad I missed it! PIANIST as Disney film... all those shiny bullets whizzing magically through the happy Spring air, thunking humorously into those squishy Jews! And the pretty fountains of bright shiny red blood splashing merrily into the cobbled streets!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2006, 06:29:07 PM »

Could the Hungarian film be funnier than that???
PennyO

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »

Good evening, fellow Dear Readers. Early this morning, my DH and I took off on a day trip. There's a road that he thinks runs along the prettiest spot in Arizona. So off we went. And ran into a major storm. 25 miles on a dirt road along the Mogollon Rim (which DR Cillaliz will remember) with pounding rain and hail. Before we ran out of cell phone range, I called home and left a message telling the kids where we were, in case we didn't make it home.

They were pounded with rain here, too, with several folks needing rescue from the flooded streets. I'll never understand why people drive into flooded washes. That is pounded into our heads: Don't drive into a flooded street.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2006, 06:41:05 PM »

Next, I put in DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Oh, boy, what a difference in this now from the last hideous DVD issue! This has been cleaned and looks simply fantastic.

Due to a succession of phone calls, I wasn't quite able to finish it nor was I able to watch the documentary or hear any of the commentaries. Soon. . . .

That reminds me, I need to get to the store and by the movie....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #132 on: August 24, 2006, 06:53:54 PM »

Come on guys!  Glen Close has almost as many dalmations, as we have posts!!!

Woof!! Woof!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »

Good evening, fellow Dear Readers. Early this morning, my DH and I took off on a day trip. There's a road that he thinks runs along the prettiest spot in Arizona. So off we went. And ran into a major storm. 25 miles on a dirt road along the Mogollon Rim (which DR Cillaliz will remember) with pounding rain and hail. Before we ran out of cell phone range, I called home and left a message telling the kids where we were, in case we didn't make it home.

They were pounded with rain here, too, with several folks needing rescue from the flooded streets. I'll never understand why people drive into flooded washes. That is pounded into our heads: Don't drive into a flooded street.

I was just wondering about you.  Glad to hear you made it home.  I used to take visitors on that road. I would NOT want to be on it in a storm

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »

I completely forgot to mention this afternoon that the other thing I watched earlier today was TWO GIRLS AND A SAILOR. I recorded this yesterday on the DVR and just got to it today.

It was over two hours long - ricidulous for a cream puff confection of song and story. But it was so loaded with talent each getting one or more numbers that a twenty minute plot was extended past the point of irritation. I mean, they had TWO big bands: Harry James and Xavier Cugat, each of whom performed two or three times plus solo artists appearing with the bands, too. You additionally had Jose Iturbi, Jimmy Durante, Ben Blue, Virginia O'Brien, Helen Forrest, and Lena Horne with one or two numbers each in addition to June Allyson and Gloria DeHaven sharing several duets and each having a solo. WAY overstuffed.

Come to think of it, ANCHORS AWEIGH made the next year was also over two hours. I guess during the war years, they crammed as much music, song, and dance into these romantic musicals.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2006, 08:11:48 PM »

Tonight, I first finished DOUBLE INDEMNITY. Just as magnificent as I remembered it to be.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: August 24, 2006, 08:14:06 PM »

There is also a featurette on the first disc on the making of the film. Interesting facts about the uneasy working relationship between Raymond Chandler and Billy Wilder that I didn't realize. Much of the documentary is a puff piece on what a masterpiece the film is (like we didn't know that!), but I did appreciate the background on Chandler, and that Billy Wilder's next film was more than a little nod in the direction of Chandler - THE LOST WEEKEND.

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2006, 08:16:31 PM »

The two GREY'S ANATOMY episodes shown tonight were way out of sync with each other. I don't quite understand why ABC is skipping backwards and forwards in time in showing these episodes. They're great, wonderful, and I'm familiar enough with the series now to be able to follow the ongoing story strands even as chopped up as they are.

However, I'll be glad to get the reruns over with a settle in with the new season and thus episodes in order.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2006, 08:18:30 PM »

CSI repeated a very interesting episode with a virgin birth and also Gil having to disprove the scientific evidence of a fellow forensic scientist that seemed irrefutible.

The only negative: no George Eads tonight. However, since he had the majority to do on last week's episode, I guess it's only fair that other players be given their chances in the spotlight.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »

Off to bed now.

Good night!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »

Congrats to DR RP on the Pirate score!

I am watching NANCY GOES TO RIO....MGM 1950...and the backdrop behind Ann Southern looks suspiciously like the one re-used that same year behind Judy for "Get Happy".....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2006, 09:09:03 PM »

Design the Book Proper

That is the title of my new university class.

Yes DR MICHAEL S....I watch EAGLES every six weeks or so just because it is still so much fun.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: August 24, 2006, 09:10:48 PM »

It's midnight

Quoth the raven nevermore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2006, 09:11:28 PM »

Back from a really yummilicious dinner, and dismayed to find a dearth of postings - of course, what postings there are are cherce, but the errant and truant MIAs are really going to get a bitch-slapping to remember.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: August 24, 2006, 09:18:53 PM »

Ann Southern is playing Jane Powell's mother....not sure which way the insult falls.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: August 24, 2006, 09:19:23 PM »

ouch!  I got here JIT!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: August 24, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »

Ordered a Mifune DVD a couple of weeks ago....still waiting....grrrrrrrrrr

But did get a copy of COUNTERPLOT starring Miss Allison Hayes and Mr Forrest Tucker.  NOT a high point of film history....but pleasant enough.  And Mr Tucker and Ms Hayes stayed at the newly built Caribe Hilton (the first Hilton Hotel outside the 48 states) while lesser cast members stayed at a smaller hotel down the San Juan beach.....Tucker and Hayes often invited the others to dinner at the SWANK HOSTEL....and made sure Jackie Wayne could use the pool and beach at the Caribe....when Allison and photographer Bill Crispel were NOT snapping those GENT magazine photos.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2006, 09:23:49 PM »

Enduring NANCY GOES TO RIO just to watch LADY BE GOOD is almost too much to bear.....almost.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2006, 09:24:49 PM »

I always thought the title THIS ISLAND EARTH was one of the most poetic in all SciFiDom......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2006, 09:28:26 PM »

Zoom Buzz

I really HATE acting games and exercises and pushing the power ball and imagining yourself swimming.....I always think I am in a play with Mr Karp...and I am Morales......
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up