Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 22975 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you took the notes' lead and you beat a hasty retreat, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're on a hasty retreat and won't be back until Monday at the earlierst.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 12:22:38 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 12:22:16 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBSTRUENT!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:33:39 AM »

AT least it is not hasty pudding being slapped, that would be a nasty mess...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 12:35:21 AM »

Would love to be in CA next week, Matt's play premiere's.... URinetown...

I just got done reading though the musical. It sounds interesting.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ben

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 04:40:15 AM »

It's 7:30AM in NYC. I'm here all alone at the office. I will leave now to begin work.

Later, gaters.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:41:45 AM »

If you beat a hasty retreat, is there an awards ceremony afterwards?  And who wins the bronze?

I want pics, by the way.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 04:52:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBSTRUENT!
NO BUTTERS could lubricate little Orville's nasal pasages enough to loosen the OBSTRUENT pieces of candy corn he had stuck up there.  It was as if he had developed a gigantic SNOT TUBER, and would have to breathe through his mouth for the rest of his life.

::)   :P   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 05:00:43 AM »

TOD - Since I so often get morning shifts at work, I'm up fairly early in the morning, but I also get home in the early afternoon.  I generally like to lay myself down, take the weight off my feet, and take a nap.  Buster and Bonnie are usually there, even before I horizontalize, waiting to shower me with affection and saliva.  Pretty soon, Fletcher the overweight Dalmatian will also lumber in, climb up onto the bed and over me, and he will lie down next to me.  The problem is, once he lays down, his weight will settle, and he's big enough that his flab (there's no other word for it) will roll on top of me.  If I try to move out of the way, he simply rolls a little closer, and gravity does it's thing so I end up with a ton of spots atop me once more.

It should be nice during the winter, of course, having this loving hot water bottle to keep me warm, but right now the temperature is still temperate.  Such is life here in Rehoboth.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 05:36:13 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm off to Toyland and then to the NYPL Theatre Collection.  I hope to have a rewarding day of research.

DR DerBrucer, I sneaked a peek at the site around 2 AM this morning and you caught me.  I had been awakened around 1:15 AM by the sound of someone ringing the front doorbell.  Could be pranksters, could be criminals, I don't care; I called 911, reported it, and went back to bed.  At 1:50 the police rang my bell to check on the status of my 911 call.  They were very kind and advised me to call the next time it happens,  I checked my emails, looked in on the site for a moment andf went back to bed.

DR MBarnum, I'm elated to learn you've taken up reading.  You never asked me to return the copy of THE BOBBSEY TWINS AT THE FARM that you left here and I just assumed that 3-4 syllable words were something that would always prove difficult.  Whatever happened to the underwear you left behind?  Didn't I auction it?  :-*

DR JRand56, how did your show go last night?DR Tomovoz,did someone else besides the Andrews Sisters record "Carmen's Boogie?"

TOD:  Thank God for the VCR!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 05:50:30 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I'm at work, too, with a full day of information waitressing ahead.

DR Elmore - could we plan a trip to the NYPL theater collection October 2 (afternoon, maybe before an Artie's dinner?), 3, or 4?  And is your recording office anywhere near the area bounded by Ninth and Tenth Avenues and 21st and 14th Streets?  Richard and I want to spend a day in that vicinity visiting Chelsea Market and General Theological Seminary.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 05:52:33 AM »

DR Elmore.. your copy of "The Carmen Boogie" by "The Crewcuts" (of Earth Angel fame) is packed and ready for you to be presented personally to you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 05:54:19 AM »

Favorite way to relax:  Working on figuring out an Unseemly Trivia contest on a Saturday morning.  :)  :)  :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 06:00:37 AM »

TOTD:  MMMM  possibly related to DR Elmore's answer.

Don't do it often but a Spa and Sauna at the local leisure/sports centre is good.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 06:02:31 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I'm at work, too, with a full day of information waitressing ahead.

DR Elmore - could we plan a trip to the NYPL theater collection October 2 (afternoon, maybe before an Artie's dinner?), 3, or 4?  And is your recording office anywhere near the area bounded by Ninth and Tenth Avenues and 21st and 14th Streets?  Richard and I want to spend a day in that vicinity visiting Chelsea Market and General Theological Seminary.

DR Ginny, the Lincoln Center library is closed on Mondays, so Oct. 2 is out (funding, ya know); most museums and libraries are dark on Mondays.  Want to think of another number between 2 and 7?

Yes, the office is not far from 21st Street:  124th and Seventh Avenue
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 06:04:52 AM »

DR Elmore.. your copy of "The Carmen Boogie" by "The Crewcuts" (of Earth Angel fame) is packed and ready for you to be presented personally to you.

Hate the opera, it's too highbrow
But there's one number I can dig right now
Just like driving without a clutch
I ride the boogie with the Carmen touch!
It rips up floors and tears down walls
And it's the reason that Niagra Falls . . .

That one?

I thought Patty, Maxine and Laverne were the only ones to record it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2006, 06:06:41 AM »

Silly Larry, I read it wrong!  We could visit the NYPL Performing Arts Library on Oct 3 or 4, pick your date and establish your schedule.

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 06:08:54 AM »

I think so Larry. It was a top 10 hit here in late 1955.  The Crew-cuts were Canadian.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2006, 06:14:21 AM »

Time to get to work.  And I'd love to know why der B is up so late these days.

And, if he takes grandladdie Alex away from his parents for the day, could he stop by the store, just so Alex can see his spare Grampa at work?

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2006, 06:21:09 AM »

Goodnight all.  Have an enjoyable Saturday. Ours is neally all used up.
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2006, 07:36:57 AM »

Dear Esteemed, productive, hasty beating, efficient, and diaphanous BK --

Fie on the cad who keeps ringing your phone just one ring!!  That kind of stuff, like DR Larry's doorbell being rung, is a real pain.  Especially if you happen to be a lighter sleeper like I am  sometimes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2006, 07:51:10 AM »

Welcome to new DR ASPARA.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2006, 07:56:22 AM »

Show went well last night, DR ELMORE, thanks for asking.  And thanks for all the fine vibes from friends here at HHW!

BLURBS!  We have blurbs!  I like them all - the the promise that the book is "complete & unexpurgated" is the icing on the cupcake.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2006, 07:56:46 AM »

SIMPLY SONDHEIM is winging its way across the USA!  Hurray!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2006, 07:57:31 AM »

DR ELMORE - perhaps it was Tiffany....n'est pas?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2006, 08:01:20 AM »

Well, I must say that this looks interesting, if nothing else.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ESST6U/ref=pe_5390_2999770_pe_snp_B000ESS

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2006, 08:04:30 AM »

Music is my favorite way to relax.....a nice soundtrack....or an opera....

Which reminds me of George Axelrod's axim for The Girl in "The Seven Year Itch."

"This is classical music, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"I can always tell.  There's no vocal."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2006, 08:07:11 AM »

Kayne.....

I like Laura a lot....but I agree she won't make it to the end.  The previews seem to indicate some kind of drama concerning her this week on Pwoject Wunway.

I think Mr BK's life would make an interesting reality TV show....certainly MORE interesting than BLOWOUT or THE OSBORNES.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 08:35:33 AM »

Good morning!

Another cool night and another hot day with the high supposed to go to 85 (tomorrow as well). I'm not complaining. I'm sleeping very well with the cool nights we're being given. I can stay inside to escape the heat and humidity that the South seems to have in excess in the late summer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »

Unless I'm not feeling up to par, I try not to take naps during the day because they invariably affect my sleep at night.

I do like to lie back on the sofa with a book I'm thoroughly familiar with and simply skim the contents. Occasionally I'll pick up things I've forgotten or facts I wasn't aware of by doing this.

If I had a hot tub or jacauzzi, I'm sure I'd use it often.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2006, 08:39:56 AM »

I have one more WILL & GRACE episode to be able to finish up the Season 5 boxed set. After that, I have a long film - SAN FRANCISCO -  and a short film - ON DANGEROUS GROUND ready for viewing.

I also have that Marlene Dietrich 1973 London concert on DVD that I found used and will watch while I prepare and eat lunch today.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up