Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1962  (Read 27685 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:1962
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2006, 06:33:57 PM »

Edisaurus, do you use the Joan Baez "Ballad of" on the SACCO AAND VANZETTI film?  It is my favorite Joan Baez.  I wore out, at least, one LP.

DR TCB, it's interesting that you mention that. No, we don't use the song--it's a bit out of character with our score, but we do use clips from the film, as well as other dramatic interpretations of the case. We even have Henry Fonda talking about Vanzetti in a clip from "The Male Animal". We also went to Italy to interview Montaldo, who directed that film, and filmed Sacco's niece in Sacco's hometown of Puglia.

I have put together a mix of S&V related songs for a future program on WFMU in NY when we have our theatrical release. We did this with our last film, and played 2 hours of different versions of "The Internationale". (I think that show is still archived on their website.) So we will certainly use the song then. I also include it on a mix CD I made for walk-in music before screenings. I may have an extra copy which I could give you since yours is worn out!

One thing I learned about shooting in Italy (it was my first time there but I hope not my last!) is that you have to allow a lot more time to move your gear, because the elevators are the size of tiny closets and it takes at least 10 trips every time you have to relocate equipment!

I will definitely check out the new Guy Haines CD, too. So much to explore in your world!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »

DR TCB, it's interesting that you mention that. No, we don't use the song--it's a bit out of character with our score, but we do use clips from the film, as well as other dramatic interpretations of the case. We even have Henry Fonda talking about Vanzetti in a clip from "The Male Animal". We also went to Italy to interview Montaldo, who directed that film, and filmed Sacco's niece in Sacco's hometown of Puglia.

I have put together a mix of S&V related songs for a future program on WFMU in NY when we have our theatrical release. We did this with our last film, and played 2 hours of different versions of "The Internationale". (I think that show is still archived on their website.) So we will certainly use the song then. I also include it on a mix CD I made for walk-in music before screenings. I may have an extra copy which I could give you since yours is worn out!

I would be thrilled!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2006, 06:57:59 PM »

Good Evening! once again...

Cabaret sounded good - at least the opening and closing numbers of the first act...

Now I'm just waiting for "Project Runway" to start.  ;)

*And watching "The Biggest Loser" in the meantime...  Just what I needed to see right now.  A good source of inspiration so to speak.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2006, 07:00:55 PM »

I would be thrilled!

PM me with your snail mail address and I'll hook you up!

Thanks!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2006, 07:01:19 PM »

Jose - love that NewYorkology site!

It really is a wonderful site.  I just came across it recently while trying to look up some museum info.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2006, 07:02:21 PM »

I'm watching American Masters on Andy Warhol

Cillaliz

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2006, 07:03:04 PM »

I'm glad I'm recording it, the cats are in a fighting mood tonight.

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2006, 07:06:34 PM »

Ok, how dumb is this, I had a Nestle's Crunch bar tonight. It says inside the wrapper that I won a free candy bar. Then it says I have to mail the wrapper in. So I'm spending the money on an envelope and stamp to get a candy bar that was on sale 3 for 99 cents!  It would cost me more to get the free candy bar than it would be to go to the store and buy another one

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2006, 07:08:16 PM »

OH!  I did go to Top of the Rock on Monday night.  -With DR Jason as a matter of fact.  What an amazing view of the city!  I had done Top of the Rock(efeller Center) about a month ago with my friend, Andy, during the day, and the view of the city at night is just as spectacular.

*And with the current Season of Savings discount, we saved a few bucks too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2006, 07:09:02 PM »

I whipped up a batch of one of my favorite fall treats - candy corn and dry roasted peanuts.  It's best when the candy corn begins to get a little stale.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2006, 07:09:32 PM »

OH!  And that Sky Mirror is pretty cool!

Sky Mirror
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2006, 07:11:38 PM »

OH! And, Yes, it is that time of the year for the Fall Season of Savings in NYC.  For those HHWers still planning some activities for the trip to NYC, maybe some of the discounts offered this year will help finalize your plans, theatrical and otherwise.

Season of Savings
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2006, 07:13:13 PM »

Hate to be a wussburger, but I'm exhausted.  At least I have a day off tomorrow, so maybe I can sleep in a bit.

'night.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:35 PM »

Tonight's episode of PROJECT RUNWAY is supposed to be ON THIN ICE.

The "delay" has to do with the timing of the Fall Fashion Week showings last week of the finalists.  -The New York Times and The Washington Post actually had lengthy reviews of the shows - they should have posted a "Spoiler Alert" before them.  ;)

I'm guessing Bravo will have a "PR" Marathon sometime in the next week or two, along with the reunion show, and then the Finale.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2006, 07:28:26 PM »

Ok, how dumb is this, I had a Nestle's Crunch bar tonight. It says inside the wrapper that I won a free candy bar. Then it says I have to mail the wrapper in. So I'm spending the money on an envelope and stamp to get a candy bar that was on sale 3 for 99 cents!  It would cost me more to get the free candy bar than it would be to go to the store and buy another one

But if you win another free candy bar with your "win", well...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2006, 07:41:50 PM »

LOL, then I can spend another 39 cents to get a 33 cent candybar.

I talked to jhvw tonight. He's up for a Thursday Jose tour, too. What fun!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2006, 07:44:20 PM »

LOL, then I can spend another 39 cents to get a 33 cent candybar.

I talked to jhvw tonight. He's up for a Thursday Jose tour, too. What fun!

...And then after The Drowsy Chaperone, I guess I could take DR jhvw down to Splash for "College Night"... And I think it's "amateur night" on Thursdays too.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2006, 07:45:39 PM »

Hello peoples!!!

Early this evening the sky became a bit more blue, the air smell sweeter, the birds sang a bit more brightly and I suddenly realized.....Tomovoz is in Town!!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2006, 07:47:52 PM »

This past Saturday William F. Orr and I and I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful "The Horrible and Tragic Life of the Singing Nun"   featuring orchestrations by the lovely and talented Mr. Larry Moore.

It really is a wonderful show and I urge anyone who has not yet seen it to go forthwith!!

vixmom

« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

After the show I enjoyed a lovely meal of saurbraten a German restaurant on 10th Avenue inthe company of two of my favorite people -  DR's WFO & elmore.

vixmom

« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2006, 07:50:59 PM »

Hello to newbie DR Edisaurus!!! Welcome aboard!!

vixmom

« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »

I may take the day off on October 5 and come in for part of the day... it is "meet the teachers " night at the Vixter's school that eveing so I must be home rather early.

vixmom

« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

Are any of our locals going to be around for "Meet the Oz cointingent" on Saturday  9/23?

MBarnum

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »

What a nice day seeing both DR Jose and Vixmom!

I am so sad I won't be in NY this October...I miss you guys!  :'(

And Jose, it would seem there is still lots of NY I have not yet to see!

MBarnum

« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2006, 08:01:43 PM »

I heard from Rodzinski today. He is alive and well..but had been sick and feeling yucky. He is back at work and busy as a bee...I am sure he will show up on these boards again soon.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2006, 08:20:22 PM »

The temperature has plummeted just as the weather forecasters predicted. Sheer heaven to feel such cool air!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2006, 08:25:43 PM »

I got in the mail today the DVD of FABULOUS! The History of Queer Cinema. It's kind of a companion piece to THE CELLULOID CLOSET starting with Kenneth Angar's FIREWORKS in 1947 and continuing through BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. The emphasis is more on lesbian cinema this time though certainly gay male cinema is also covered. The talking heads aren't quite the starry caliber of Susan Sarandon or Tom Hanks, but it's nice to see some behind the scenes folks like writers and producers and directors as well as actors narrate this history.

Enjoyable but I liked THE CELLULOID CLOSET better.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2006, 08:27:34 PM »

What a nice day seeing both DR Jose and Vixmom!

I am so sad I won't be in NY this October...I miss you guys!  :'(

And Jose, it would seem there is still lots of NY I have not yet to see!

Lots still left to see, DR MBARNUM.  LOTS!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2006, 08:28:45 PM »

Hiya, gang.

Just got back from the reading Chez Kimmel. I am so happy to have heard it once again with real. live, actors and with the new songs melded into the play. We got nice laughs, good scene transisitons, everyone liked the songs.

Bruce's friend Jennifer was good enough to read the stage directions, in a clear, musical, mellifluous (LOVE that word.) voice. Sandey Grinn (who was nominated for an Emmy for his puppetry on DC Follies. Twice. And had a recurring role on Babylon 5 and Zoobilee Zoo.) read the Older Men. Cason of BRAIN fame read the Younger Men. I read the Older Women and Jolie Summers read Young Miriam.

If we can effect the few necessary changes (which BK and i will discuss tomorro at some point) and get a good demo of the songs, I have every confidence we'd be picked up for a subsidized staged reading at any of a number of venues that have readings of new works as part of their season. I love the workshop process - in which you get to try things out, maybe scrap some, maybe use some - with good actors being paid to work on your material. So, I'm really up for the 18 months or so ahead of us, getting ready for a full production, on somebody else's nickel!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »

Then, I enjoyed BONES. Nice to see Temperance not fighting with Cam; they seem to have smoked a peace pipe last week, and I'm glad that it seems to be working.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up