Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE FRENCH HENS  (Read 20707 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THREE FRENCH HENS
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2003, 04:36:12 PM »

Oh my....bad writing, bad acting, and the worst art direction I have EVER seen in a major motion picture....ALL THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS....MGM 1960!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2003, 04:55:34 PM »

To our new registered user, i saw aproduction of "Rudolph..." at the Bailiwick a couple of years ago.  Could it have been the year it premiered?
I like boat races.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2003, 04:57:40 PM »

TCB, nothing to apologize about...it's just that a work-in-progress can always derail.  In fact, I can do my part of the job exquisitely and the thing can still derail.  Even, as BK, says once it's started filming or rehearsals, it can still go so very wrong.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2003, 05:09:31 PM »

Man, I'm weary.  If I go to this partay, I'm only staying for a little while.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2003, 05:23:55 PM »

Hardly weird.  I don't know from MAME, but I'm pretty sure I prefer it to HELLO DOLLY. :D

Be forewarned, Jed, I am going to chain you to a chair and force you to watch the DVD of my production of HELLO DOLLY.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2003, 05:29:06 PM »

Well, I'm about to head off to a sleepover, but I wanted to post first.

LOL, Jed and TCB.  TCB, even though I am not the biggest Hello Dolly person, I know I would have liked the production you were in!

Have fun at your partay, BK!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2003, 05:29:42 PM »

Well, Maya, welcome to the Washington State chapter of HHW.  Apparently, we are starting our meeting a little early tonight.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2003, 05:32:25 PM »

LOL, Jed and TCB.  TCB, even though I am not the biggest Hello Dolly person, I know I would have liked the production you were in!

Thank you, Maya.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2003, 05:35:16 PM »

No LULLS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2003, 06:21:31 PM »

I'll talk about it after I take my niece shopping for her mother's Christmas present, but at my work today we had our annual "Holiday" (formerly known as "Christmas") Potluck and Gift Exchange!  It's a real to-do!

I've never seen a stage production of Mame or Auntie Mame but I have seen a local stage production of Hello Dolly.  I'll check in with that later, also.  Until then!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 06:21:54 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Andrea

« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2003, 06:22:17 PM »

Well, I would just like to say that when I take DR Emily on her shopping makeover, I intend to sing "Popular" from Wicked the whole time!

Michael

« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2003, 06:41:15 PM »

Will be back soon..............
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2003, 06:52:28 PM »

I just came back from a long day of story meetings, shopping (for my daughter's presents) and doing errands... And may I ask a question?... What the HELL are all these people doing out there? I have to out bah-humbug DR Pogue because this time of year is nuts. And I for one don't like it. Not one bit. Bah-hum-bug twice over with fries. So there. And I've just now discovered that the huge bargain I got on a certain DVD for said daughter was not a huge bargain because it's not a DVD! Now I have to go out into the madness (not until tomorrow, though, no way) and exchange it or return it. B-H-Bug!
And I totally agree with DR Pogue in that I NEVER talk about things that haven't actually happened. Even when shooting starts, I always preface my remarks with "We'll see how it turns out..." 'cause you never know. As, again, Pogue, bk and any other writer making a living in this crazy field will tell you.

And before I forget, DR Jrand53, I most definitely do not remember the Edsel. I'm too young. Hear that? Young, young, young! That's not to say I wasn't alive at the time, but what did I know from Edsels? I'd just arrived in Canada from Hungary via Austria and Britain and my only form of transportation was a wonderful huge tricycle that my mother bought for me at the Salvation Army. I have to say, that was the best vehicle I ever had. I even talked to it. I don't talk to my Toyota Camry. If I did, it would probably answer in Japanese and I'd get confused and have an accident. and how would I explain THAT to the police, I ask you?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 06:54:00 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2003, 06:59:51 PM »

It's deader than a doornail around these here parts.  Let's get a rally going so that when I return from my partay I'll have some good readin'.  Let's not succumb to a new low.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2003, 07:13:13 PM »

I've got a nice chunk of beef roasting in the oven.  I'm in the mood for beef (close to a Jimmy McHugh reference).

We're having dinner so late because we had to drop off a rideable four-wheeler for one of the grandlads at Daughter and Son-in-Law's.  They couldn't shop for it themselves, so they got Daddy to get it instead.  Where was Daughter all day instead?  Shopping with one of her girlfriends for shoes.  Where was Son-in-Law?  Picking up the kids from day care after work.  She was too busy shopping to work her schedule to include that.

We got to see the fiber-optic snowman she also insisted we buy for her. set up and lighted.  It is very not Christmas.  It's more Halloween, with beady, glowing eyes and a carrot nose that looks like a pointer to hell.

Daughter and Son-in-Law don't laugh together.  At, not with each other, if that.  We'll be spending Christmas Day with them.  They suggested we come up Christmas Eve and spend the night, but der Brucer demurred.

Der Brucer and I talk and laugh together.  I'm counting my blessings.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Andrea

« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2003, 07:58:28 PM »

It's deader than a doornail around these here parts.  Let's get a rally going so that when I return from my partay I'll have some good readin'.  Let's not succumb to a new low.

Fine BK,

For you're reading pleasure:

Captive Beauties and Virgin Lovers:
The Literary Idealization of Women in  “The Lady of Shalott” and the “Blessed Damozel”

The Lady of Shalott and the Blessed Damozel are proper, pretty and pure.  Just like the ideal of womanhood they reflect, they are the very model of chastity and good taste, devoted to God and the cult of domesticity.  They are plucked right out of Coventry Patmore’s poem, The Angel in the House, where chaste and selfless women create a sanctuary of peace for hard-working men (Abrams 1057).  This “angel” is the dream Victorian woman, who caters to the needs of her society by being graceful, gracious and good mannered.  However, she does not actually exist.  She has no real foundation in reality.  In “The Lady of Shalott” and “The Blessed Damozel”, Tennyson and Rossetti are espousing idealistic, traditional Victorian values about the place and conduct of women, not as a reflection of the realities of society, but rather as a reaction against the current role of women during the nineteenth century. The women in these poems represent male fantasies as paragons of otherworldly beauty.  Captive and unable to escape, even in death, they embody the Victorian ideal of purity and joy of domesticity.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2003, 08:13:09 PM »

PLEASE get your mind out of the gutter, DR Jose.  :)There were two dogs down there we were trying to get to face the camera, but they wouldn't cooperate, so I cropped them out of the picture.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2003, 08:15:50 PM »

DR JRand, I saw ALL THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS many, many years ago on the CBS Late Night Movie, and it was dreary then, too. I guess age hasn't improved it any. I remember kind of liking Pearl Bailey in it, but that's about all.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2003, 08:35:55 PM »

I've never seen a stage production of Mame or Auntie Mame but I have seen a local stage production of Hello Dolly.  I'll check in with that later, also.  Until then!

God, George, the way you said that, I hope it wasn't my production of Dolly that you saw.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2003, 08:38:09 PM »

I would have thought MAME would be done all the time, but I guess it is an expensive musical to do with all those different sets and costumes plus a large cast.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2003, 08:44:06 PM »

Now what could be happening with DR Michael Shayne? I hope nothing is wrong with him personally. DR td or anyone else in contact with him, please let us know what's happening and if we can be of any service to him. Thanks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2003, 08:45:36 PM »

I would have thought MAME would be done all the time, but I guess it is an expensive musical to do with all those different sets and costumes plus a large cast.

It seems that most people I know in theater prefer the play, Auntie Mame, over the musical, Mame.   The same does not seem to hold true for the play The Matchmaker.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2003, 08:46:11 PM »

This post will get me to #900. Slowly but surely inching toward that 1,000 number, but it'll more than likely take another week or so to get there.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening. I'm headed off to slumberland myself. Good night.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2003, 08:48:36 PM »

DR TCB, the rights are certainly cheaper for just the play version. Jerry Herman musicals are very expensive to license, I'm sure.

I really like the musical better, not only for the score, but also some of the extra characters either get cut or combined with others to no real loss.

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2003, 09:32:16 PM »

Now what could be happening with DR Michael Shayne? I hope nothing is wrong with him personally. DR td or anyone else in contact with him, please let us know what's happening and if we can be of any service to him. Thanks.

I haven't heard from Michael for a few days. . .but, I'm not using AOL instant Messenger, either, which is where I would normally see him most nights. . .

I shall give him a quick buzz tomorrow.

For all you dear readers, and hosts and gods and yes, Mr. Mark Bakalor. . . I have uploaded a holiday greeting (in the files section) of our HHW911 Yahoo Group, please go and peruse it. . .though you must have Macromedia playing abilities. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2003, 09:44:50 PM »

Home from the partay which was okay.  Dismayed that we will undoubtedly be reaching a new low for this board, but what can you do?  If folks are determined not to post so be it.  That said, what is here is cherce and that's all I care about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2003, 09:45:13 PM »

Perhaps those who are still here can start up a posting frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2003, 09:46:33 PM »

For example, I've got us to the "fr" now all we need is the "enzy".

A director friend who was at this partay asked if I would consider acting in something he's doing - a reading of a new play, and I said yes, that I'd do the reading.  I'd be playing Harpo Marx - sounds like it could be fun.

td

• td
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2003, 09:55:04 PM »

How about Alfred Hitchcock's FRENZY?

td

• td
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2003, 09:59:44 PM »

Hmmm. . .Ionesco's FRENZY FOR TWO (OR MORE) ? ? ?

I know, I know, that's quite absurd!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up