Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHTUPPING GEESE  (Read 20703 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SHTUPPING GEESE
« on: December 20, 2003, 12:02:51 AM »

Well, you've read the notes so what in tarnation are you waiting for?  Let's have Christmasy posts the entire livelong weekend, shall we?

« Last Edit: December 21, 2003, 12:15:28 AM by bk »

Michael

Re:THE SHTUPPING GEESE
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 03:53:17 AM »

My favorite childrens' book of all time are:

My parents bought me a complete audion recording on LP with the book and it was one of my favorites to listen to. At one time I was able to recite the first three chapters or so from memory.

I still own my copy complete with grape juice stain on it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 04:02:00 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2003, 04:37:08 AM »

DR MICHAEL SHAYNE - who is in your new picture?  

Lovely notes, MR BK, those damn geese.

And I have to say my favorite children's books are the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder.....I read and re-read them when I was a child.  Of course I read MANY books, but these are ones I came back to many times.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2003, 05:39:59 AM »

"The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2003, 05:58:28 AM »

DR MICHAEL SHAYNE - who is in your new picture?  .

Someone very famous and associate with Haines His Way and one of BK's good friends.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2003, 06:25:11 AM »

I have to say bk's birds on the telephone makes me burst out laughing every single morning. It's so surreally hilarious.

When I was a kid, I got a book through the Weekly Reader Children's Book Club that I just loved and would read and reread all the time. Not a classic, but just so much fun: DANNY DUNN AND THE HOMEWORK MACHINE.

As I prepared to be a teacher, I had to take Children's Literature and Adolescent Literature as classes for middle school teacher certification. It was there that I became aware of the REAL quality out there in children's literature. Funny but I never read any of these classics growing up, only later as an adult, and I loved them: A WRINKLE IN TIME, FROM THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER, GOODBYE, MY LADY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 06:30:49 AM »

DR Michael Shayne, why did your name revert to MDS a day or so ago, and now it's Michael Shayne again? Sorry to be so nosy (see my picture for proof of that), but I was concerned something serious was going on, and I'm relieved you're OK and back with us.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 07:11:00 AM »

The FREDDY THE PIG  series of books by Walter R. Brooks. Loved them. Still do.

Matt H.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 07:17:31 AM »

Aren't there any STUART LITTLE or CHARLOTTE'S WEB fans out there?   :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 07:21:15 AM »

BK, I think those wacky birds are great gifts! But then, I like birds. I wonder what you'll get next? Have you considered building a backyard pond?

My favorite books as a child were Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books. Once several years ago while on a tour of the country (ok, we were traveling in our camper) we stopped at the locations where the books were set and written: Kansas, DeSmet, Missouri.

DR Sandra is still sleeping, so I'll answer for her: Wizard of Oz (my sister sent her the whole set over several years) and if you still consider her a kid, Harry Potter and The Scarlet Pimpernel set.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 07:27:27 AM »

Go here for a fun little holiday site. And you can send it on to others on your e-mail list, too.

http://www.myshutter.com/flash/Snowball_Fight_mb.swf

Jason

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 08:10:26 AM »

I was obsessed with Enid Blyton books when I was growing up in England. I particularly enjoyed the Magic Faraway Tree series. I also enjoyed Nancy Drew, but not so much the Hardy Boys. In seventh grade I ordered new books every month from the Scholastic Book Company--particularly the classic titles--and then never read them. I still do that. :-\ It's a waste of money if I'm not going to read them, but I keep thinking I'll get around to it someday...

Now I'm off to the Met for BENVENUTO CELLINI (to be broadcast on the radio) and IL BARBIERE DI SIVIGLIA. Oh, joy, oh rapture unforeseen, for now the skies are all serene...

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2003, 09:04:41 AM »

Well, I was supposed to see LOTR:ROTK last night with my friends, but the tickets were sold out.   :'(  Even though my friend who has already seen it saw fit to inform me of a lot of what happens in the movie.

I AM going to be seeing tomorrow's matineé of Camelot with my mom and my best friend Isis!  Yay!  Gorgeous songs, lavish costumes, hottie Matt Bogart and the chance to say hi to Jose again--it should be very cool!

Favorite children's books:

Where the Wild Things Are
Strega Nona
Hop on Pop
Green Eggs and Ham
the Mercer Mayer books

I'm sure I liked others, but those are the major ones I can think of right now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2003, 09:10:03 AM »

Good morning!

Well, I slept in, and now I have about half an hour to get ready before heading into the matinee, so....

Favorite children's books:

Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" series
C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia"
Paul Zindel's "Pigman" books

*Of course, the above are more adult than children, actually, just so many layers.

I was also Judy Blume fan, "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing,"  "Superfudge", etc...  Other titles that come to mind, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "James and the Giant Peach," "Bridge to Terabithia," "The Summer of the Swans," "The Great Gilly Hopkins,"...

And almost any Maurice Sendak book... oh and Shel Silverstein too!

That's all my still-sleepy-but-have-to-rush head can think of right now.

Enjoy your day!  Va-va-va-VRROOOM!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2003, 09:19:01 AM »

Oh, yes, SUMMER OF THE SWANS, Jose! I made many of my seventh and/or eighth graders read that and CALL IT COURAGE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2003, 09:35:38 AM »

Going to get a haircut, put stuff in storage and a few other things.  Of course, what care I if we're on our way to a new low, what care I if certain folks are two weeks behind in their notes and posting reading, what care I for tinsel and glamour?  Nada, that's what care I?  Hopefully, there'll be some more excellent posts upon my return in a few hours, oh, yes, hopefully there'll be some excellent posts for my mental delectation.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2003, 10:00:50 AM »

I was obsessed with Enid Blyton books

I remember her books. The Noddy series. but I think they are not longer PC because of the Golliwog character (sp?)
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2003, 10:17:30 AM »

DR MICHAELSHAYNE - is that Brent Barrett?

DRPANNI - your airport name was the BEST!  I hope everyone saw it!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2003, 10:36:18 AM »

Funnily enough for a guy with a library of 6,000 books...very few of them are children's lit.  Growing up, I devoured Seuss, of course, but early Seuss, the tales of Bartholomew Cubbins and Horton the Elephant and magical Mulberry Street, I did a short stint on the Hardy boys before graduating to Tarzan (I guess some might consider these boy's books...but adults read them just as avidly too).  I'm quite fond of William Joyce's wonderful illustrated stories.  I've recently started collecting the novels that Henry Treece wrote for young readers, simply because I loved his dark, brooding historical fiction that he wrote for adults.  Oddly enough, his children's stories are just as dark and brooding.  He doesn't write down to kids.

I've always loved the adventures of Scrooge Mcduck...comics, true, but almost novelistic in their epic yarns.  And I'm a great, great fan of Asterix and Obelix...two French (British translated) comic characters...Gauls and their fight against Julius Caesar's Rome...Hodder and Stoughton in Britain has printed some thirty books of their adventures which are full of puns and hysterical adventures.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 10:38:50 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2003, 11:08:51 AM »

Everyone must be shopping today.  Well I completed MY shopping at WalMart this morning at 4 a.m. and could barely get through the crowds.  There must have been 15 people in that damn store!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2003, 11:30:16 AM »

Here I sit in our friend's home in Nottingham after a wonderful day at the home of a Duke and Duchess. The Duke and Duchess weren't in but the staff did allow us to tour their abode. Quite wonderful.

We're having a wonderful time on our holiday (I feel and sound so British). We go back to London tomorrow and spend the rest of our time there.

Merry and Happy to all in case I don't get back on between now and January 1st.

Ben

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2003, 11:30:57 AM »

I must do a vanity post to get me to 460 so here it is.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2003, 11:52:44 AM »

I read the "The Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy when I was in middle school.  I read the "Chronicles of Narnia" books in high school.  But when I was younger than that, I had a book (recently found) called "Hilda Boswell's Treasury of Children's Stories."  It is a collection of stories illustrated by Hilda.  It includes a small section of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," and several other fairy tales.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2003, 11:53:14 AM »

I'm now off for most of the day.  Enjoy the weekend all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2003, 12:08:25 PM »

My childhood was very much a book reading one. I was not a toy person at all. Birthday and Christmas presents were Enid Blyton books usually. I love the Faraway Tree series, the Wishing chair series, Famous Five, Mystery series (the Five Findouters) etc. I also had a large collection  of Bobbsy Twins books. My niece (now 33) has all my books. Now that she has a daughter who will most certainly be encouraged to read, my books will have yet another life.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2003, 12:15:09 PM »

I watched "Moulin Rouge" last night. The 1952 version. The dialogue is so stilted but the sets, lighting and costumes are wonderful. I still prefer it to the BAZ L version. I prefer the storyline as well - emphasis on the artist and not the singer.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2003, 12:23:28 PM »

I am also fond of "The Little Prince" (Antione de St Exupery) but did not know of it until I was an adult. One of my colleagues used it as a class text in the 1970s.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2003, 12:26:10 PM »

Does anyone out there remember Betty MacDonald's stories about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2003, 12:43:59 PM »

DR MICHAELSHAYNE - is that Brent Barrett?

DRPANNI - your airport name was the BEST!  I hope everyone saw it!

NOPE!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2003, 12:44:45 PM »

Does anyone out there remember Betty MacDonald's stories about Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle?

No, but I once shopped at her husband's store though
« Last Edit: December 20, 2003, 12:44:56 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up