Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE  (Read 50059 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2006, 01:29:10 PM »

HOUSE had an outstanding episode last night as well featuring a 650 pound man waking up from a coma but not suffering from any of the usual ailments associated with obesity. Fascinating case and a surprising revelation.

Also, the ongoing story arc with House against the cop played by the always wonderful David Morse is adding a terrific extra level of interest to the episodes now.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »

Are you afraid a house will fall on you?

Well, you did hear what happened to his twin...?  Lost a very valuable pair of shoes, too!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:33:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »

Page Four "The Wind in the Willows" Dance!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2006, 01:32:02 PM »

Exactly my feelings, DR JRand. Hiro comes third and the cheerleader fourth on the favorites list.

My favorite is politician's brother -- Peter Petrelli.  After him is Hiro, then the policeman and the cheerleader...all three fairly close together.  My least favorite is the politician (don't like bad guys and he's a bad'un!).  I'm still on the fence about Niki.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 01:32:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2006, 01:34:33 PM »

On the INHD channel, they were showing a program called "Olympic Memories Cortino 1956," so I watched until the figure skating came up. I was hoping they'd have Tenley Albright's entire gold medal winning free skate and/or Carol Heiss' silver medal-winning free skate.

Instead, they showed mere seconds of each much to my disappointment. Did look nice in high definition and color (have only seen grainy black and white excerpts from their programs before), but I sure would like to have seen the entire programs. Drat!

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2006, 01:35:27 PM »

My favorite is politician's brother -- Peter Petrelli.  After him is Hiro, then the policeman and the cheerleader...all three fairly close together.  My least favorite is the politician (don't like bad guys and he's a bad'un!).  I'm still on the fence about Niki.

Niki is my least favorite unquestionably.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2006, 01:38:44 PM »

I finished my afternoon viewing with my favorite CSI: NY episode from season 2. The two cases were both very unique. One was called "Watergun Wars," folks on game "missions" to shoot their opponents with waterguns until only one is left standing. Of course, one person ends up dead and not from water.

The other story involved an Exotic Edibles convention with fried tarantulas and eating live octopus. Gross but very intriguing.

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2006, 01:40:11 PM »

And on next week's DVD release agenda are the final two seasons of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. After I have the discs in hand, that's another three videotapes I can discard with the episodes taped long, long ago in EP speed and barely watchable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2006, 01:44:45 PM »

Back for but a moment.  Picked up the CDs, overnighted Em's to her, and then rushed to a meeting with the kid show producer - Alice dropped by and I gave her her set of CDs.  I'm trying to get everything the designer needs for the booklet by the end of this evening.  The Town Hall guy, who reeks with attitude, thinks he has some sort of control over what we do and don't put in the booklet - it is to laugh.  At the show, he asked if he could have a look at it before we put it to bed and I, as a courtesy, said fine.  We asked him for the Town Hall logo today, and he apparently started in with the attitude with Jonathan - "when am I going to see something"  "what names are included for Town Hall" blah blah blah.  I had Jonathan enlighten him - why would he see anything until we have all the info - does he think I'm going to do a mockup with no Town Hall info, then do another when he gives us the info?  So, I had Jonathan tell him that I need the logo and any people he'd like acknowledged by end of today - I'd already put his name in the booklet.  If I agree with his other names, then I'll put them in - if it's some endless litany of people I don't know or who weren't helpful, well, buh bye.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2006, 02:14:43 PM »

Don't say you weren't WARNED!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2006, 02:15:21 PM »

Of course, the above only applies if you observe.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2006, 02:16:11 PM »

"Grainy black-and-white" -- that will the subject of my next poem.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2006, 02:17:40 PM »

Dr. Frankenstein to his monster:

"I VIVIFY you!"

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2006, 02:45:25 PM »

Off to clean the den now and then probably finish off disc 4 in the CSI: NY set before prime time TV sets in.

Reminder: LOST's fall season finale is tonight. According to the USA TODAY TV critic, tonight's THE NINE is the best episode since the pilot. Looking forward to both of these shows and also BONES.

WBBL.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 02:45:51 PM by Matt H. »

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »

Don't say you weren't WARNED!

LOL, when I clicked on the WARNED a Christmas commercial was playing on the TV

Cillaliz

« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2006, 03:59:48 PM »

I am most pleased with how things turned out in the election....I feel like I can exhale for the first time in years

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »

DR derBrucer, that previous KING AND I was not an anamorphic transfer, and since I know you have a widescreen display, the new KING & I will have much better resolution than the previous DVD on your TV.

Thank you - will order same.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

Two good news items:

Donald Rumsfeld has announced he will resign.

The Democrats have taken the Senate seat in Montana  leaving only the Virgnia Senate seat in doubt (with a Democrat leading)...and "control" of the Senate with it.

My heart is filled with hope again!

A wave of happiness washed over my office today when these news items broke.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2006, 04:48:31 PM »

Ditto.  My faves are in the same order and I'm totally on the fence about Niki.  Although that whole family intrigues me- especially after the last episode.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2006, 04:49:35 PM »

Mr. Barnum, have you ever considered interviewing Eddie Hodges?  I know he is still pretty young for you, but I would love to read a good interview with him.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:18 PM »

Do you mean that the voices of Laura Bush and Bill Clinton won't be on my answering machine when I get home?  They were yesterday!

Laura and Bill?  I didn't know they were an item.
“One thing’s universal,

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:20 PM »

Today was a long and hectic day at work.  Lots of meetings with case planners and parents but no time for sessions with kids!  And it was parent teacher conference night so there was just a hectic atmosphere about.  So tomorrow I'm going to allow myself to sleep in a little and treat myself to some Dunkin Donuts coffee before rushing into the office.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2006, 04:52:59 PM »

Really? I had a call from John Edwards  ;)

Now, I would have returned that call.
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »

Watch Flower Drum Song.

I think the transfer is wonderful. The beautiful colors of the production design and costume exude the beautiful color designs.

The 5.1 mix is also enjoyable to listen to.

Now I am sure the armchair critics on the other sights are going to find things to bitch about but I had no complaints.

(I did see "grainy" moments during I Enjoy Being A Girl, but I think it had to do with the opticals that were used during the song. But it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the song."

A couple of quibbles.

The chapter stops are called by the various songs, but they do not take you right to it. Like the 20th century fox releases.

Why do they break up the "documentaries" the way they do. They are often repative and show the same photos and clips many times.

They also do what BK has mentioned. They talk and then a have a clip that shows what they are talking about even if the clip has no relation to what they are talking about.

I was a little disappointed with the Nick Redman commentary. I enjoyed the ones he did with Shirley Jones, but this one I felt was off the mark. I sort of wished they talk more about the filming and the changes they made for the film. Example: Wang Ta song Like a God was sort of dropped from the film. It is briefly heard spoken in beatnick hangout when Sammy take Mei Li on a tour of his haunts. They talk right through the scene.
Too much about what Nancy Kwan did after the film.
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2006, 05:34:34 PM »

DRJANE did you find your card?

No, and since I haven’t gone anywhere without Sherlock my friend will have to settle for an email card and a phone call & an apology.  I, we, haven’t missed his birthday in 41 years.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »

Exactly my feelings, DR JRand. Hiro comes third and the cheerleader fourth on the favorites list.

I like the policeman best & then the politician’s brother.  I wasn’t too keen on Hiro at first, each week I enjoy him more, moving him into third place.  

Michael

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2006, 05:39:56 PM »

I plan to watch South Pacific the general release version to listen to what they have to say on the commentary.

Carousel's documentaries have some worthwhile things in it. One strange thing. The recreation of You're a Queer One Julie Jordan abruptly stops about halfway through. Did they run out of photos.

Also The King and I:
Rita Moreno is very noticably absent from the documentaries. As is Marni Nixon who in an early documentary talked about the dubbing process in Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You. I probably understand why Deborah Kerr is not part of it. Also why didn't they "recreate" My Lord and Master and I Have Dreamed? The songs were recorded but deleted from the film. Is it the same reason why Rita Moreno was not in the documentaries?

Other people not show Patrick Adiarte (Shown in the FLower Drum Song "documentaries" and some of the other cast seems to still be around.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 05:42:35 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2006, 05:56:28 PM »

Half the time  ;) I’m on the fence regarding Niki.  Otherwise I don’t like her.  From the beginning her storyline just doesn’t “fit” with the rest of the show.  I expect that will change, unless it has & I missed it.  We still have this weeks episode to watch.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2006, 06:00:36 PM »

Knowing my question would be met with laughter I asked Keith who his favorites are.  Yup, he laughed since he only watches the show for me.  ;D

Michael

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2006, 06:08:09 PM »

ASK BK ?

I see that the York Theater is doing the revival of Busker Alley directed by your pal Tony Walton and starring Jim Dale. Any chance you might record it? (You've already  recorded the title song elsewhere.)
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up