Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAIDS  (Read 20907 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE MAIDS
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2003, 04:29:05 PM »

I know that there are many Connie Francis fans on this here site.  Footlight Records has a new Connie Francis CD of a European concert listed on their site as a Footlights exclusive.  Check it out if you are interested: www.footlights.com - it's currently the first listing in the New Releases section.

Shouldn't that be www.footlight.com with no "s" before the .com?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2003, 04:31:20 PM »

Yes, DRGEORGE you are correct - although it was nice to read all about what was happening in theatre is Missouri!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2003, 04:54:15 PM »

I'm going to try my hardest to be out of here by six tonight.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2003, 05:05:25 PM »

At Christmastime, it is always nice to reflect on the "presents" that come to us, even when they do not look like wrapped packages with bows and ribbons.

I have the wonderful gift of hearing Kerry laugh when something tickles him........ and, we have been blessed with a wonderful, loving present that weighs 50 pounds, has 4 legs, and eyes that could melt the heart of a gorgon.

We have the priceless gift of waking up each day with our health, and the ability to enjoy all of the wonders that each day sets forth.

We have been given the gifts of getting to know so many of the terrific contributors to this site, and even the fun of meeting some in person.

And all of the shared daily joy, fun, laughs, touching moments, shared stories, supportive thoughts and prayers, .... none of these would be possible if not for the caring, the hard work, and the loving joy-filled heart of Bruce Kimmel and his willingness to "open the Living Room" to all of us.

I really don't need another shirt, or a box of candy when I have all of the above;  I just know each day how lucky I am.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2003, 05:05:34 PM »

Sad news....three people are feared lost in San Luis Obispo.

Well said, DRMG.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 05:06:15 PM by JRand53 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2003, 05:22:35 PM »

It is now official, DR Jon: the pics you posted earlier today are two of the best newborn pics ever taken.  This comes from no less an authority than der Brucer, who has seen more than his fair share of baby pics and is curmudgeonly to boot, so praise from him must be taken as high, indeed!

(Of course, if I hadn't thought they were some of the best pics I've seen in a long time, I wouldn't have made sure he saw them too!   :D :D :D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2003, 05:38:22 PM »

Keith Michell is also known for his recurring role as Dennis Stanton, the "rogueish" former thief and insurance investigator, on Murder, She Wrote.  It was sort of a mini-series within the main series, separate from the Jessica Fletcher stories, with Hallie Todd as his secretary, Rhoda Markowitz.  They made a total of nine Stanton stories, and he probably could have carried the character on a series of his own.

Somewhere, I've the scripts for Six Wives of Henry VIII, and for the Glenda Jackson follow-up series, Elizabeth R.  They were issued in paperback at the time the shows were broadcast on PBS.  But they're probably in the boxes that haven't arrived yet.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2003, 05:53:30 PM »

Good evening all.  I've been trying to get caught up but it's to hard.  To many things I'd missed the chance to make a comment about or this post would be four pages long!

Would like to say I enjoyed the baby pictures--Congrats to the new Dad!

Jay, I hope your doggie is doing fine now.

Thank you Jrand and JoseSPiano, Yes it was a special moment for me yesterday.  I don't think I shall ever forget it.

Favoriite Christmas song--many but Michael Crawford singing "O Holy Night" always gets me along with Bing Crosby and "White Christmas".

I should also point out that I like "The Twelve Pains Of Christmas", the ever popular "The Chimmey Song" and who could forget, "I'm Dressin' Up Like Santa (When I Get Out On Parole), "The Restroom Door Said, "Gentlemen" and last but never least, " A Message From The King".  True classics.

Danise

« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 05:54:12 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2003, 05:59:02 PM »

Chat is open - I'll join in when I get home.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2003, 06:02:16 PM »

Don't have time for Chat right now, nor to read the earlier posts. Will catch up later tonight.
DR Jay - Glad Roller is doing better.
Didn't feel the earthquake at my house.

George

« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2003, 06:35:42 PM »

I could only chat for a few minutes but now must go to my parents' house for dinner...love free food!

My favorite Christmas songs?  Too darn many to name.  I'll go through my CDs later (after dinner) and see what I can come up with.

My LEAST favorite Christmas songs?  Easy.  I don't know why, but I really don't like "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" (even The Manhattan Transfer's version...although I like the arrangement that they do...the close harmonies and all...just not the song itself) and "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear."

Weird, huh?  :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2003, 06:43:07 PM »

Thanks, Dear Reader Panni.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Michael

« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2003, 06:45:45 PM »

Isn't Keith Michell in Irma La Douce?

What he did in private with Irma should be no concern of ours. They are consenting adults.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2003, 07:03:02 PM »

GO TO CHAT YOU MUST GO TO CHAT

What a fun time is being had by all!  

Jason, Craig, Maya, Emily......later comrades!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2003, 07:21:58 PM »

George---
You may be right.  I have it bookmarked so I never have to type it in.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2003, 07:23:56 PM »

I went to chat. . .there was no one stirring, not even a mouse!

Oh, Tomovoz:  Thanks for the tip on the Paul Kelly song; I found it earlier tonight, and now I know "How to Make Gravy."
Now, you should all listen to David Phelps hitting his high C's in "O Holy Night."
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2003, 08:02:40 PM »

DR: Ladodgerjon. I am not a "goo goo" wonderful baby person at all but those photos are wonderful and indeed the "holding on" is wonderful. I am still so fond of my nephew and niece and they are now in their thirties - the early bonding I guess. The only feeling that comes close was after my Mother had a stroke some years back and then was at last able to hold my hand. This will be my second Christmas without my mother and I feel it more this year.
I probably don't need to write this to the special readers of HHW but there is no substitute for a hug. Europeans find it such a natural way to express love. So many people would be so much happier if they could reach out and hug the people for whom they care.  
DR td: So pleased to know you found the gravy recipe. Mr Paul Kelly had had a very successful career in OZ.
Not a commmonality of taste  here at HHW but I love Linda Eder singing "O Holy Night"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2003, 08:04:35 PM »

Just notice Dan is on the board. Special thoughts to you Dan at this time. Memories will make it easier but nothing really can ever fill that gap.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2003, 08:14:11 PM »

Is chat le mort already?  I'll have to check.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2003, 08:24:15 PM »

Dear reader Emily just called me a "guilt-tripping self-marketer" and then she BOLTED from the chat room.  BOLTED, do you hear me?  And why?  All because I relentlessly tell her she should read Benjamin Kritzer.  But, and it's a big BUTT: What care I if she reads it?  I care not.  Those who have read it are enough for they have enjoyed it.

So, no more "guilt-tripping self-marketing" dear Emily.  What care I?  I care not.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2003, 08:26:55 PM »

I'm majorly entranced watching Mr. Jacques Demy's Peau d'Ane, a very strange magical whimsical musical fairy tale that has rarely been seen in this country.  It's a French region 2 DVD that was just released.  I took a chance on it - even though amazon.fr and the site I bought it from both said it was in French with only French subtitles.  But, since I'd already gotten the French special editions of Umbrellas and Young Girls, and because they both had English subs, I took a flyer and it paid off.  English subs indeed.  What a stunningly beautiful film and what a Legrand score and songs.  Most of it is totally unfamiliar to me.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2003, 08:27:12 PM »

Yes, DR's, I was present at Chat right before it died.  I will make a holiday vow to not be E&T here on the board anymore, even if the subject is movies, in which I know close to nothing.  Anyhow, it's wonderful to be back (that was totally envoking Norma D)  Cheers!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2003, 08:38:21 PM »

Keith Michell is also known for his recurring role as Dennis Stanton, the "rogueish" former thief and insurance investigator, on Murder, She Wrote.  It was sort of a mini-series within the main series, separate from the Jessica Fletcher stories, with Hallie Todd as his secretary, Rhoda Markowitz.  They made a total of nine Stanton stories, and he probably could have carried the character on a series of his own.

Somewhere, I've the scripts for Six Wives of Henry VIII, and for the Glenda Jackson follow-up series, Elizabeth R.  They were issued in paperback at the time the shows were broadcast on PBS.  But they're probably in the boxes that haven't arrived yet.   :-\

Yes, I mentioned his recurring role on MURDER SHE WROTE in an earlier message. He had an adventure or two with Jessica before he had those stories of his own. He was marvelous in them, though they were not the tightly written mysteries than many of the early Fletcher stories were.

I have both those paperback volumes of HENRY VIII and ELIZABETH R you mentioned, and I've often wondered why somoeone didn't produce those as plays. They're marvelous dramas and I think could be adapted to the stage rather easily in some cases.

I think ELIZABETH R is probably the best mini-series ever produced with I CLAUDIUS, HENRY VIII, and ROOTS also in the running.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #173 on: December 22, 2003, 08:41:02 PM »

Thanks, Tom,

I thought I'd drop in before heading to bed, and I'm glad I did. Your kind words - and everyone else's at HHW - mean so much.

My mom was about the only one who could tolerate my singing voice, and I miss my audience of one. Among her favorites: Love Makes the World Go Round, A Person Can Develop a Cold, and Ice Cream.

Jed

« Reply #174 on: December 22, 2003, 08:56:57 PM »

My goodness, I can't believe it, and yet it is undoubtedly true, so I must believe it.  I had every intention of joining the lively and sparkling HHW chat tonight at 6, and was rather looking forward to it.  Imagine my surprise when I should awaken on my couch and find it to be 8:30!!!  An unintentional 3-1/2 hours of hibernation.  But, I must say, I'm feeling quite refreshed and wide-eyed and bushy-tailed and various other things that one would feel after a nice bit of sleep.

Hope chat was lovely as ever, and I hope I don't sleep through the next one!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2003, 09:03:47 PM »

Well, another long day today, and tomorrow I venture out to see the third installment of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Hope everyone has a pleasant evening. Good night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2003, 09:17:44 PM »

Some of my favorite Christmas songs/carols (and the recordings from whence they come):

from "A BROADWAY CHRISTMAS" (produced by BK):
Pine Cones and Holly Berries/It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
by Glory Crampton and the Talisman Quartet from Here's Love and
Lovers On Christmas Eve
from I Love My Wife Liz Larsen and Sal Viviano (originally recorded by James Naughton and Joanna Gleason)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas from Meet Me In St. Louis sung by Judy (with the original movie lyrics)

just about everything from "CABARET NOËL: A Broadway Cares Christmas" but especially:
One Family by Richard and Dierdre Kiley and Sheldon and Margery Harnick
Surabaya Santa by Kristine Zbornik
The Perfect Christmas Eve by Roslyn Kind
one of my absolute, all-time favorites:  All Those Christmas Clichés as can only be sung by the fabulous Lainie Kazan
and especially Wishing You a Drag Queen Christmas by B. D. Wong

I love the arrangement of Christmas Carol from The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby (the nine-hour play with Roger Rees) arranged by Stephen Oliver.  In the published songbook, it's (correctly punctuated) title is called God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen

and finally from "SAVE THE CHILDREN:  Christmas Carols and Festive Songs":
When a Child Is Born by Michael Ball and Claire Moore (I love her voice!)
I love the arrangement of Ding Dong Merrily on High/O Come All Ye Faithful and
I Watch You Sleeping by Frances Ruffelle
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 09:19:14 PM by George »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2003, 09:17:47 PM »

Good evening all.........I just thought I would pop in for a quick minute before listening to the news in bed, and having Sugar chase the monster ogre that is under the covers.  Of course, the monster ogre is my foot, which she certainly knows, but she makes quite the game out of it, as if it is brand new every evening!

Dear TCB -- Thank you so much for your very thoughtful email.  I'm so glad that you enjoyed the surprise.

I am pooped (not the musical Jason  :o ) so I must go get what can't even laughlingly be called "my beauty sleep!"

Ta ta H/Ks........sleep well.     'Night BK

td

• td
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2003, 09:23:18 PM »

one of my absolute, all-time favorites:  All Those Christmas Clichés as can only be sung by the fabulous Lainie Kazan

Methinks that DR George may not have heard Nancy LaMott sing this one. . .

And:  Once again I express my thanks for yesterday's good vibes; I received the first phone call for the the CALLBACKS on January 8th for SYMPATHETIC MAGIC.   ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jed

« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2003, 09:28:04 PM »

Good evening all.........I just thought I would pop in for a quick minute before listening to the news in bed, and having Sugar chase the monster ogre that is under the covers.

And here I thought that was Kerry's job!

Forgive me, I'm channeling my inner TCB :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up