Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: YES  (Read 42644 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:YES
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2006, 02:18:53 PM »

DR MattH - I do  so adore how your mind works; I'm at this very moment taking a break from THE DA VINCI CODE (the transfer is top notch, btw) to feed & walk the dog and planned on SOUTH PACIFIC for later this evening!
A few nights ago, I watched and tremendously enjoyed REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE.

I'm sure you're familiar with that quotation about "great minds," but I'm not quite sure where I fit in!   ;)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Four Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2006, 02:20:22 PM »

If I'm going out tonight, I need to go clean up a bit.

Then, back to finish SOUTH PACIFIC and then on to other goodies.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2006, 02:45:07 PM »

Back from a cleanup rehearsal, which went very well considering we were still missing five players.  Monday, we're back with everyone and the people who were errant and truant for three days had better know their stuff or they will not be happy campers.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »

THe first Paul Newman movie I saw was Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Other Paul Newman movies I have seen are Judge Roy Bean, The Hustler, The Sting, and The Color of Money.

My favorite is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2006, 02:54:05 PM »

Skip just got back from seeing ALL THE WAY HOME at the Transport Group, which featured Dear Friend (and BK's Last Starfighter reading co-star) Joseph Kolinski.  He said it was fabulous.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2006, 02:58:35 PM »

Merrill looks like she is having a grand time on her birthday and all the best broken leg vibes to her!!

Broken leg vibes to Merrill!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2006, 02:59:01 PM »

Jane, Sherlock looks adoreable....

FJL

« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2006, 03:00:10 PM »

How lovely that just about every MARY POPPINS review that I've seen and heard (even the ones that were decidedly mixed on down) had excellent things to say about Rebecca Luker's performance as Mrs. Banks.  

Skip and Larry are seeing MARY POPPINS this very evening, to make up for the show we were all at where the set had broken down during Act II.  

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »

Actually RLP I have many times planned to watch THE YOUNG PHIL'S but always seemed to miss it when it was on...and it just seemed that whenever I came across Paul Newman on the television there was Joanne...not that that is a bad thing mind. I am just saying.

Actually, according to some of my interviewees, even when she and he were not in a movie together she was very often there on the set.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2006, 03:15:40 PM »

DerBrucer I have a question or perhaps you can give insight.....

It is something that has been pestering Matt Ashford fans for awhile. It has to do with a scene he filmed back in 1990 on a firetruck.

We are suspecting that the dog was either drugged, deaf or Extremely well trained.

It is a full grown dalmation and he standing on the back of the truck calm as a cucumber. As the truck takes off he is held by Jack as Jennifer is screaming at the top of her lungs and pounding on Jack. The dog just sits there unusually calm.

here are some screencaps... It isa VERY calm dog...

http://www.geocities.com/jackjenncaps/firetruck.html

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2006, 03:52:33 PM »

How lovely that just about every MARY POPPINS review that I've seen and heard (even the ones that were decidedly mixed on down) had excellent things to say about Rebecca Luker's performance as Mrs. Banks.  

Skip and Larry are seeing MARY POPPINS this very evening, to make up for the show we were all at where the set had broken down during Act II.  

I haven't had a chance to read them, that is very nice to hear.  I'm looking forward to Skip and Larry's opinion...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2006, 04:38:18 PM »

DerBrucer I have a question or perhaps you can give insight.....

The dog might well be deaf (10-12% of them are born deaf).

The Story of the Fire Station Dalmatian

One of the most recognized symbols of the fire service is the Dalmatian dog. The origins of the breed are unknown. No one knows really how old the breed is. They were thought to have come from Dalmatia, but recent evidence shows them clearly painted in Egyptian tombs. It is known that the Dalmatian, because of its poor hunting abilities, was relegated to the stable area of fine manor homes. It was in these stables that the Dalmatian became acquainted with the horses. It is quite common to keep dogs and other small animals, such as goats, around stables to keep high-strung horses company to calm them.

Dalmatians were used by the fire service in the days of the horse drawn fire engines because they were not afraid of the horses and they would guard the fire wagons. Since in the early days of fire fighting all departments were volunteer, and insurance companies would pay only the department that was hooked up to a hydrant. This lead to competition and some sabotage between rival fire companies which led to the natural use of guard dogs to protect the equipment. The Dalmatian, with its superior agility and endurance could also run out in front of the horses and clear the streets for the approaching fire engine.

In this way, the fire engine did not have to slow down for traffic and make the horses tire early. When the horses were replaced by gasoline driven fire engines, many fire departments kept their Dalmatians. In many areas you can still see the Dalmatian standing proudly, on top of the fire engine as it races to another emergency.

Unfortunately, the Dalmatian Club of America has a very negative attitude toward deaf dogs:

With the rising popularity of the Dalmatian breed, there has been a rapid increase in the number of deaf Dalmatian pups showing up in homes, pet shops and Humane Societies across the country. THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM.

Deafness is NOT uncommon in Dalmatians. It has been estimated that from 10% to 12% of the breed is deaf

Responsible breeders NEVER knowingly sell, place or give away deaf pups to pet homes. Deaf pups should ALWAYS be humanely destroyed by a veterinarian.

The Dalmatian Club of America Board of Governors feels very strongly that deaf pups should NEVER be sold, placed or given away, and most certainly should not be bred from. Deaf Dalmatians are hard to raise, difficult to control ( they are often hit by cars when they "escape") and often become snappish or overly aggressive, especially when startled.

IF YOU ARE AFFILIATED WITH AN ANIMAL SHELTER, HUMANE SOCIETY OR DOG RESCUE SERVICE, PLEASE do not attempt to place the deaf Dalmatian puppies and adults that come in, and do not advertise for a "special home" for the"poor little deaf Dalmatian." The HUMANE approach is to put down the deaf Dals and concentrate on finding good homes for the healthy, hearing dogs.  

These folks are so intent on keeping the breed pure that they actively boycott any Animal Rescue group that is willing to place a deaf dog in foster care.

Fletcher was pulled from an SPCA in NYC by our Delaware Dalmatian rescue where we found him.

(On those occasions when the tribe escapes, Bonnie usually stays with Fletcher; she'll come when called, and then run back and get Fletcher - we think she knows he's deaf.)

He is a very gregarious dog - loves strangers, particularly children and puppies. When we first got him, he was on a daily dose of barbituates to control the epilepsy. We decided to try him "off meds" and his seizure rate actually seemed to decrease. The other night was the first in a year.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2006, 04:39:45 PM »

Edisauris-That doll is going to give me nightmares, granted it doesn’t take much to give me nightmares. :o

She's a life-sized mannequin, which somehow makes it even scarier, in a "Tourist Trap" sort of way...

//www.imdb.com/title/tt0080040/maindetails
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2006, 04:46:25 PM »

Note to Edi-"your in box is full"-saurus:

All of Fletcher's seizures have started when he was sleeping, usually in the AM. There seems no correlation with the event and any external stimuli.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2006, 04:48:41 PM »

I have not been taking notes.

What exactly is the special deal at DeepDiscount DVD (and should I pay attention before I order Woody's Dr. Who stuff from Amazon).

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »

Double your pleasure:
She of the Evil Eye and her "normal" little sister.

Sweet dreams, DR Jane! ;D
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2006, 04:54:37 PM »

Note to Edi-"your in box is full"-saurus:

All of Fletcher's seizures have started when he was sleeping, usually in the AM. There seems no correlation with the event and any external stimuli.

Good...at least you don't have to live as quietly as we did!
"Lives of quiet desperation..."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2006, 05:05:32 PM »

THE BIG NEWS ON FNC:

Fairy-tale Wedding
Fog shrouds Odescalchi Castle in Italy, where Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes exchanged wedding vows.

And, oh, by the way:

U.N. SAYS SUDAN COMMITTING ACTS OF 'INEXPLICABLE TERROR' AGAINST CIVILIANS IN DARFUR
Top Shiite Official Killed in Baghdad
Member of Shiite political group attacked in western Baghdad; forces continue search for 4 Americans, dozens of Iraqi hostages

It's all about priorities!

der Brucer

« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 05:06:53 PM by DERBRUCER »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2006, 05:06:53 PM »

Thanks Dakota-Sherlock is a sweetie, except when he is being a typical puppy-lol.  Really, for a puppy he is very calm.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »

Really, for a puppy he is very calm.
And for a Great Ape, Kong was very gentle 8)

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2006, 05:09:20 PM »

I've been living in my new place for about a month now, but without a working garage door opener remote.  It came with one and I changed the battery, but it still didn't work (it's a Craftsman from Sears).

When we put up Katrina evacuees at our new house, I gave them the ancient Sears remote and explained that it was a very old opener and would probably be hard to replace, so the only thing I would ask of them is not to lose it. When they left town a few months later, they took it with them and swore they'd mailed it back but I never got it. Argh. The one thing I asked!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2006, 05:34:39 PM »

Paul Newman faves:
SLAPSHOT
WHAT A WAY TO GO
BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS

First: Probably THE TOWERING INFERNO

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2006, 05:36:43 PM »

I just saw a fun production of DREAMGIRLS in Brooklyn last night. The Effie role was amazing and we came to find out after the show that she was the understudy and only found out she would be in the show like 10 minutes before curtain, AND had never run the full show before.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2006, 05:37:17 PM »

Sorry about today, Ginny. Doggone red team. I hate them.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »

Been watching a good portion of the Spike Lee Katrina Documentary on the HBO.
Powerful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2006, 05:58:53 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?  Most unseemly, and there will be major league bitch-slapping if I return from the show I'm seeing and don't have a plethora of postings to peruse.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2006, 06:11:14 PM »

I'm afraid I have nothing to add to today's discussion.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2006, 06:18:48 PM »

RE TOTD: I saw "Someboy Up there Likes Me" at a screening in a public hall in the small seaside village of Wagstaff. It was near to my Grandparents' house at Kilcare on "Brisbane Water" north of Sydney. The best known village in the area is "Woy Woy" which may be known to Spike Milligan fans.

The night at the movies was a holiday treat. We all thought we going to see "Somebody Loves Me".

A similar error was made in  the nearby town of "Gosford where we travelled by Ferry to see "The Wizard Of OZ". It had finished screening the day before.  We saw "Marty.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »

Isn't the bookwriter of Mary poppins also the screenwriter of Gosford Park?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up