Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEIRD DAY  (Read 30295 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE WEIRD DAY
« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2006, 07:41:57 PM »

There was one interesting group in my lane at the store today.  They consisted of five oriental men and women, all of whom were deaf.  They had no problem communicating with each other, of course, but I have no knowledge of sign language, and there was a question on the price of one of the items being bought.

The "leader" of the group finally suggested that he and I communicate in writing.  I felt like such a dork, not thinking of this myself, since I always have a pen and notepad with me.

All ended happily, of course.  It's amazing how much can be conveyed with body language and a positive attitude.  And these guys (and gals) were good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2006, 07:43:51 PM »

Page seven dance.

But I have no idea what steps I want to take.

:-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2006, 08:07:12 PM »

"actors have their processes and I sometimes wish they didn’t"

Great quote from today's notes.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #183 on: November 22, 2006, 08:08:49 PM »

Cool story, SWoody, about the way everyone worked together at the store today.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #184 on: November 22, 2006, 08:10:03 PM »

Tomovoz, we'll roast a wallaby tomorrow to give thanks for our friends Down Under.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #185 on: November 22, 2006, 08:10:46 PM »

Of course it will be a comedy roast.

Lots of jokes at the wallaby's expense.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #186 on: November 22, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »

COPS SHOOT, KILL 92-YEAR-OLD WOMAN AFTER SHE OPENS FIRE ON THEMApology, my ass >:(  She opened fire, and reaped the expected result. I hope the cops sue her estate for damages! Does the good Rev think the police should check birth certificates before returning fire? Does Granny get a free shot for every decade over age 60

This is no excuse, of course, but just some context: The plumber who was working at our house today is based near where this happened. It's a very high crime area---big drug business there---and it was apparenly pretty common for drug dealers/criminals to pound on someone's door and yell "police", and then force their way in when the door was open. This woman had apparently had this happen several times and had been robbed and so she took the law into her own hands. No excuse, and this could all be heresay, but it's another perspective on the case, which is a very sad one.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

This afternoon we went for a drive, and this is what we saw:

Dam, that's a nice picture!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #188 on: November 22, 2006, 08:22:25 PM »

Tonight I started the movie of OLIVER! with the introduction of Fagin and watched the rest of it.

Yes, once again I'm going to be auditioning for Fagin, this time at the theater where I did LA CAGE last year and for the director who cast me  as Father Virgil in NUNCRACKERS a couple of years ago.

I have to say, however, that whether I get the role or not, this is my last time auditioning for it. I've tried at two different theaters over the last six or seven years, and I consider this my third swing at bat. Three strikes and I'm out as far as this role is concerned.

I've only once before auditioned for the same role and lost it three times at three different theaters: Herbie in GYPSY. I'll never try for that one again, and this is my last attempt with Fagin.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: November 22, 2006, 08:24:17 PM »

After OLIVER! finished, I watched about half an hour of HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE on HBO-HD. Looked nice, but as HBO often does, the widescreen image has been cropped on the sides to fit the screen, even in HD. So stupid of them to do this.

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: November 22, 2006, 08:27:46 PM »

I think the Wallabys are a Rugby team here.  Please go ahead and roast.  This is a non Rugby State.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2006, 08:28:01 PM »

I watched last night's 3 LBS. a little after 8 p.m. tonight. Last week, I thought the pilot was OK but sort of a straw hat theater version of HOUSE.

This week, it seems they've softened Stanley Tucci's character somewhat, and how the show is a straw hat version of GREY'S ANATOMY except with somewhat older leading characters.

The show was OK, but not memorable enough to be a must-see for me. I'll give it one more episode to impress me, and then I drop it from the watch-list.

BTW, it once again finished third in the time slot last night, not suggesting that word of mouth drew many folks to it for a return visit.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2006, 08:29:53 PM »

DAY BREAK took Tye Diggs through his day twice more, each time seeing different people getting killed (depending on what he did) but also learning some valuable connections so he can start to puzzle out who's setting him up to take the fall for a murder he didn't commit.

There's nothing else on in the 9 p.m. hour, so for right now, I'm content to keep watching. We also get a brief scene from LOST which returns in February.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: November 22, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »

MEDIUM had a fabulous episode tonight, as Allison (like Taye Diggs in his show) relived the same day with different (often horrifying) changes from day to day.

But I love how it all fell together. A great payoff for the viewer at the end.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't Patricia Arquette's Emmy submission episode, especially that jaw dropping monologue she delivers to Ariel about changing her attitude. What an eye-opener!

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2006, 08:32:47 PM »

Tomorrow I'll have CSI: NY and THE NINE from tonight's recordings to watch.

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2006, 08:39:10 PM »

well gang, I'm about to head off to dreamland. Not the same dreamland from tonight's MEDIUM. This isn't a spoiler. I just watched it for the first time in a very long time and it reinforced why I don't like cops and robbers shows. I can explain more later if anyone is interested.

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2006, 08:40:50 PM »

I have decided not to take my laptop to Thanksgiving.  I'm only staying until Saturday and my mother has informed me she has a big list of work that I need to do for her while I'm there. So, if I get my chores done, I'm going to read a book...what a concept. I haven't read much for fun in a while.

Cillaliz

« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2006, 08:41:27 PM »

So, in case I don't post in the morning....Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:08 PM »

NOT REALLY A MEDIUM SPOILER>>

Matt I just saw your MEDIUM post.  I understand why you like it, but the legal basis of what pulls it all together is flawed. So, it left me feeling cheated rather than a good payoff. That's why I don't watch those shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2006, 08:47:21 PM »

NOT REALLY A MEDIUM SPOILER>>

Matt I just saw your MEDIUM post.  I understand why you like it, but the legal basis of what pulls it all together is flawed. So, it left me feeling cheated rather than a good payoff. That's why I don't watch those shows.

You understand that most of us who don't have such inside information about how the legal system works can find much enjoyment in a show like this or the various LAW & ORDERs.

Sorry it bothers you enough to make the viewing unpleasant.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »

Wow! Cilla! In the blink of an eye, your avatar changed! Looks very summery where you are!

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2006, 08:49:06 PM »

And now, since I had to get up much earlier than I wanted this morning, I'm tired now and am going to bed.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2006, 08:57:49 PM »

You understand that most of us who don't have such inside information about how the legal system works can find much enjoyment in a show like this or the various LAW & ORDERs.

Sorry it bothers you enough to make the viewing unpleasant.

Yes, I understand completely, but with a little tweak - and I'm talking changing a couple lines,  the story would have held up and that's what bugs me.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2006, 08:58:28 PM »

Wow! Cilla! In the blink of an eye, your avatar changed! Looks very summery where you are!

This was at the Top of the Rock in New York during our October visit.

FJL

« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2006, 09:01:20 PM »

Great new avatar, Cilla.

FJL

« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2006, 09:03:59 PM »

Re MEDIUM - Maybe she just dreamed the final version where the theory of law was faulty. :) :) :)

Michael

« Reply #206 on: November 22, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »

I have another ask BK question.

I was listening to your King and I recording tonight and was wondering  why you elected not to record The Small House of Uncle Thomas. (I think you explained it once, but I forgot.)

Also were the other numbers like: The Royal Bangkok Academy, Priest Chant/Children Sing, A Puzzlement (Reprise with Louis & Chulalonglork) and Western People Funny omitted from the recording because they were dropped from this production?

Thanks
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #207 on: November 22, 2006, 09:06:20 PM »

I understand you can't copyright ideas, only expressions of ideas.  But isn't the idea of waking up over and over and things changing over and over so closely associated with GROUNDHOG DAY that when others do it it's sort of a steal?  Or was the idea not original to GROUNDHOG DAY in the first place?

Michael

« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2006, 09:07:53 PM »

One more:

Is contracted to have the cast and production credits on the back cover instead of the song listings?
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2006, 09:09:04 PM »

I mean, theoretically, someone could do a musical with the overall premise of GROUNDHOG DAY without getting the rights to GROUNDHOG DAY, as long as they invented their own procession of events, if these shows can do it on TV - or am i missing something?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up