Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS IS THE WEEK  (Read 21496 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THIS IS THE WEEK
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »

If you're asking are they right for a 9 year old, I'd put them at a little older - perhaps 11 or 12 unless the grandlad is an advanced reader.

He tested at 10th Grade level.

He seems able to read just about anything - the trick is to get him started; once he gets to page three, he won't set a book down 'till he's done. He generally prefers non-fiction, but likes mystery/fantasy and seems to like history.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2006, 03:57:41 PM »

Ah, that is right MattH, I forgot about Dorothy Provine's records...in fact I even have one of them...duh.

Interesting tidbit...of the many actors and actresses I have interviewed, Ms. Provine was named by the majority as one of the least liked performers...right up there with Ray Danton, Pernell Roberts, and Vince Edwards.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

Lovely pictures DR Tom and DR Laura!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2006, 04:12:54 PM »

Associated Press

Police Kill North Carolina College Student Accused of Stealing PlayStation 3 Consoles

WILMINGTON, N.C. — A teenager accused of robbing a student of two new Playstation 3s on the day the popular game consoles were introduced was killed by police who had been sent to arrest him.

Roommate Mike Rhoton said Strickland was unarmed, but may have been holding a video game controller when he went to the door as it was bashed in by officers.

Arrest warrants alleged that Strickland, a student at Cape Fear Community College, and a University of North Carolina at Wilmington student stole two PlayStation units from another UNC Wilmington student that day.
The sheriff said the robbery victim had waited three days in line to buy two Playstation 3 units for $641 each at a Wal-Mart. He was unloading the units at his campus apartment when one man beat him to the ground while another took the PlayStations, Causey said.

The sheriff said Strickland was shot by members of a a special police unit who went to help university officers serve warrants.

Strickland's dog, a German shepherd, also was shot to death.

Dead thug; dead dog.

My sympathies are more toward the poor dog.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2006, 05:22:54 PM »

We're good at that here, aren't we?

LOL My thoughts exactly!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2006, 06:18:34 PM »

Let's see in the last couple weeks cops have killed a 94 year old woman, an unarmed bridegroom to be leaving his bachelor party, a 13 year old boy with a toy gun and now a college kid and his dog who stole a playstation.  Sounds like no one is safe from the cops.  

In today's society, would you rather take your chances without them than with them?

Given the overwhelming increase in crime and the diminishing ratio of police officers- to-populace, I find it extraordinary that many more such events haven't happened.

I'm in favor of harsher punishments for so-called soft crimes.

I think it's harsh that the student was killed.  Somehow, though, I simply cannot muster any sympathy for him.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2006, 06:21:56 PM »

Associated PressDead thug; dead dog.

My sympathies are more toward the poor dog.

der Brucer

I agree.  The dog was probably doing what it felt it needed to do to survive/protect its master.

Also to be avoided is being killed because you're in the car or walking along with someone who has pissed someone else off.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2006, 06:25:55 PM »

I deleted my post because I decided it was probably best not to get off on this subject. There is a lot I could say, but I think it's probably better not to go there.  Honestly, I have never met a cop I trust. I guess 20 years of criminal defense does that to you.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2006, 06:27:48 PM »

Ah, that is right MattH, I forgot about Dorothy Provine's records...in fact I even have one of them...duh.

Interesting tidbit...of the many actors and actresses I have interviewed, Ms. Provine was named by the majority as one of the least liked performers...right up there with Ray Danton, Pernell Roberts, and Vince Edwards.

How does this come up in your interviews?  Is it along the lines of "which actor/actress have you enjoyed working with the most?"  and "which actor/actress have you enjoyed working with the least?"

If so, I'm surprised that so many people ever worked with Provine for her to be so highly despised!  LOL.

Did anyone give any reasons?

Curious!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »

I deleted my post because I decided it was probably best not to get off on this subject. There is a lot I could say, but I think it's probably better not to go there.  Honestly, I have never met a cop I trust. I guess 20 years of criminal defense does that to you.  

Ah-HAH!   So the TV shows are getting this right, after all!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »

I had a semi-nice nap this afternoon after watching an episode of "Perry Mason" (with an impossibly young Anne Francis), "Touched By An Angel" and an episode of "Matlock".

Oh, well.  Nothing major accomplished beyond the things I absolutely needed to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »

Here's a dilemma I wonder if anyone else has encountered:

Over the past couple of years, I've found some wonderful night lights with holiday themes that I've ordered to send early as gifts.

When receiving them, however, it turns out that these nightlights -- all made in China -- feature the grounding plug on the wrong side.

U.S. standard is to have the wide plug on the right side, while the night lights have the wide plug on the left side.

I've had night lights that were versatile...you could twist the plug around to adapt to whatever outlet type you have.

But that's not the case with some rather expensive ones I found and ordered as gifts for this year.

I plan on sending them back when I can find my receipt -- they were ordered last summer.

Still...has anyone encountered this and found an "easy" solution (that doesn't involve hiring an electrician)?

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2006, 06:36:24 PM »

Mmmm, our house smells good - I just baked some brownies for a bake sale tomorrow evening.  As soon as they're cool enough, I'll cut them into individual servings, put a candy Santa face on each, and wrap each one.  Might be a late night...

On another matter, even though the weather forecast looks OK, I think I'm still going to drive to Columbus tomorrow.  I'll be more rested for the Wednesday workshop.  That means I have a bag to pack while the brownies are cooling.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2006, 07:23:39 PM »

I know Dorothy Provine recorded a couple of albums for Warner Bros. label. And, of course, she sang that delightful song in THE GREAT RACE saloon sequence.
"He Shouldn't-a, Hadn't-a, Oughtn't-a Swang on Me!"

I remember that. Great song!

"The message on his tombstone is as simple as can be:
He Shouldn't-a, Hadn't-a, Oughtn't-a Swang on Me!"
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2006, 08:40:17 PM »

I'm leaving now.  I'm off to Costco because my niece said that my sister hinted (and not too subtly) that she (my sister) would like the Marx Brothers DVD set for Christmas!  I never knew that she liked the Marx Brothers.  So, that's what I'll get her.  My niece already got her something.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2006, 08:42:40 PM »

As for the HHW time clock being off an hour, I went to "Edit Profile" and under Time Offset, I changed the displayed time to "-1" so that it looks right.  Seeing 8:40 when it's only 7:40 was getting a little weird for me. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2006, 08:43:29 PM »

Each person would have to do this for him or herself.

George

« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2006, 08:43:43 PM »

Until later. :)

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »

The Noteman Always Writes twice?
Gah!  ;D
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2006, 09:08:37 PM »

What a revoltin' predicament this is - part one of the notes twice - that's a first (or, in reality, a twice).  It has been fixed so go read part two now and you'll know the topic.  Something must have happened when I cut and pasted part two - apparently part one didn't want to be gotten rid of so easily.  Oh, well, it's been rectified, oh, yes, it's been rectified.
That's odd...I was up when they were posted & never saw a problem.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2006, 09:13:26 PM »

I hope this doesn't prompt a bunch of "Do you smoke after sex" jokes ::)
der Brucer
He was even Moses in Prince of Egypt, so he must be.

Also, Helen Mirren is the Queen of the World.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2006, 09:15:58 PM »

I'm leaving now.  I'm off to Costco because my niece said that my sister hinted (and not too subtly) that she (my sister) would like the Marx Brothers DVD set for Christmas!  I never knew that she liked the Marx Brothers.  So, that's what I'll get her.  My niece already got her something.  

There are actually two Marx sets. The Universal set contains the five Paramount classics they filmed in the first half of their movie career. These films are almost all Marx (almost no subplots not involving them) and are usually the ones most folks remember (ANIMAL CRACKERS, COCOANUTS, DUCK SOUP, HORSE FEATHERS, MONKEY BUSINESS).

The other is a Warner set of their MGM movies (plus the independent NIGHT IN CASABLANCA) which had some inspired Marx sequences but also contained sappy love stories not involving them. The MGM movies were bigger hits because of the Marxes' being a bit diluted by MGM gloss (and they were getting older, too) and propped up by MGM second tier talent. Of course, A NIGHT AT THE OPERA and A DAY AT THE RACES are contained in this box, and all of the movies have something to recommend them. These look to be in far better shape than the Universals.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2006, 09:17:48 PM »

I LOVED A Wrinkle In Time & it's whole series. There's a sister series to it & I'd read it even now, if I could.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2006, 09:18:34 PM »

I began my evening of viewing with last night's WITHOUT A TRACE. It was a somber story of a critically ill woman going missing. At one point, the team interviewed a woman who was a con artist selling phony cures to these desperate people. It honestly sickened me to know that such people actually do exist (even though this is a fictional series).

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2006, 09:19:44 PM »

I LOVED A Wrinkle In Time & it's whole series. There's a sister series to it & I'd read it even now, if I could.

I certainly preferred WRINKLE to JOHNNY TREMAIN which I found a bit dry for kids. WRINKLE is a wonderful sci/fi time travel adventure.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2006, 09:21:16 PM »

Next, I watched last Thursday night's 30 ROCK. It made me laugh several times, the most ever since I started watching this series. I could still do completely without Tracy Morgan whose comedy is simply lost on me. But Alec Baldwin steals every scene he's in, and Jane Krakowski was very funny this week, really for the first time since the show started.

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2006, 09:22:46 PM »

Liked the "Dark is Rising" myself.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2006, 09:23:09 PM »

THE CLOSER was every bit as wonderful as I was expecting it to be, and I'm pleased to say I guessed the identity of the mole.

spoiler

BTW, I really enjoy Paul Schulze in every role he plays. Have always thought he was a quietly excellent actor. Always solid but nothing showy about him.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up