Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: INEXORABLY  (Read 25331 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:INEXORABLY
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2006, 02:13:21 PM »

My aunt and uncle are coming over for lunch in a few minutes.  More turkey, dressing, asparagus souffle, etc., etc.,

I've packed my bag and weighed it, and I am JUST at 50 lbs.

Well... Just be sure to find the "sweet spot" on the scale to make sure the airline knows your bag weighs just 50 lbs.  I've had bags weigh up to five to seven pounds more - or less - depending where you/they place the bag.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »

OOOHH!!!

And I started Page Five!

Everybody Dance... Dance... Dance... Dance...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2006, 02:15:44 PM »

DR Ginny - Installing memory on a Mac is actually quite easy, so...  However, as long as you have a Genius Bar appointment, having the store do it is not a bad deal.  -And you can look for more goodies while you're waiting at the Apple Store.  ;)

Alas, I will not be there because I have to work tomorrow, Thursday, and Friday.  We thought about going today, but decided that going to Kenwood Towne Center on Dec. 26 would not be a good idea.  DH Richard has to get Rob to UC by 9:30 tomorrow morning to meet a group going to a conference in Louisville, so he'll just go to the Apple Store on the way home.  The computer should be home and all revved up by the time I get home from work  ;D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »

DR Jose - while you were MIA here at HHW we learned that the greater Cincinnati area will be getting IKEA, Nordstrom's, and Crate & Barrel.  I'm pretty excited!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2006, 02:38:21 PM »

Here is the story of the day.  I had an order and the guy wrote me an e-mail telling me that he's on vacation and if it was possible to get him the CD by January 4th I could send it to where he's vacationing but only via UPS.  I wrote him back and said no problem.  So, off I go to the UPS Store to send it.  To North Carolina.  A package that weighs less than one ounce - and is ensconced in a 6x8 CD padded envelope.  Price for Groud shipping that would get the package there on January 3rd?  $12.68.  I hope UPS goes out of business.  Are they insane?  The same package via first class mail (usually arrives in three days) is $1.71 WITH delivery confirmation.  Sticking it in a Priority flat rate envelope would cost around $4.60 with delivery confirmation and it would most likely arrive in two days.  Sticking it a USPS overnight envelope would cost $14.00 and get it there the next morning.  But not UPS - twelve bucks for ground shipping for a tiny little weighs-nothing package.  Brilliant.  I called UPS and railed at some poor fellow and he totally said he gets calls daily and he just doesn't understand how the company he works for can survive being totally and completely non-competitive.

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2006, 02:40:50 PM »

MusicGuy - It may interest you to know (if you didn't know already) that Studio 54 is no longer the exclusive place it once was.  It's now a legit theater run by the Roundabout Theatre Company, all you need to get in is the $40 for one of the cheap seats; no getting past bouncers, no dress codes.    They still call it Studio 54, though.

Yes, I waited in line when I was a nerdy high school student in the 70s but, alas, didn't get in, now they gladly take my money and I get a ticket. No sweat.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2006, 02:44:46 PM »

DR Tomovoz, how are the fires today?

No news of them today Dear Reader Laura. We have had lots of rain - great news for usa ll here.  We had a White Christmas!  The ground was covered with hail stones on Christmas morning and there was snow in some of the "fire" areas!  coldest Christmas day here since 1939.  WONDERFUL
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2006, 02:49:14 PM »

I need some advice.  This afternoon my mother and I went  through their old 78s and other great stuff (I have some really cool ones) anyway, we also found a number of records my dad made with his Dixieland bands in the 40s and 50s. They are self made albums. I'm not sure if they are acetate or what they are. Some are light orange and appear to have a cardboard center and some appear to me be a much harder substance. They are the same color as vinyl but much thicker

The are in ok shape, but some appear to be dirty or need some sort of restoration.  My question is what can I clean them with that won't ruin them?  Should I even try or leave it to someone who does that sort of thing professionally?

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2006, 02:50:41 PM »

I know what you mean BK regarding UPS....I mailed a manila envelope that would have cost less then a dollar to mail by 1st class mail, but UPS charged me $15.00! Something about the zone it was going to or something...it was only going to southern California not the Antarctic!

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »

That sounds very much like a DR Rodzinski question Cillaliz!

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2006, 02:53:32 PM »

That sounds very much like a DR Rodzinski question Cillaliz!

I was thinking either BK or DR Rodzinski

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2006, 02:55:20 PM »

I have some really cool stuff. I'll have to list it later it's packed up. I also got about 15 OCRs from the 60s and 70s

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2006, 02:56:20 PM »

Well, since neither of them are here, I'll check back later. This is my last evening at my parents' house. I'll be back home tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2006, 03:18:06 PM »

Today, I went out at lunch time and bought the 2-CD "Dreamgirls" soundtrack.  I had a coupon from the Borders Rewards program, so it was only $16.99 (plus tax)!  I'm happy!  I'm going to listen to it right now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2006, 03:23:57 PM »

Edi - Yes, Studio 54 is where the CABARET revival played for several years.  But at some point since then, they've taken out the table seating and put in regular theater seating.  

A good idea for most of their presentations (ASSASSINS and PACIFIC OVERTURES felt weird with the table seating), but I do think their disappointingly-received revival/rewriting of THREEPENNY OPERA with Alan Cumming, Cyndi Lauper, Nellie McKay et al would have gone over much better if it had been in the table-seating environment with drinks at tables.  Not just because the critics would have been drinking :) but the looser atmosphere might have accomodated the loose style of that production.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: December 26, 2006, 03:26:26 PM »

Lunch is long over.  My mom, aunt and I played four games of Scrabble (regular).  I was lucky in my tile draws for three of the games!

And, of course, I made the best of bad draws.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: December 26, 2006, 03:26:41 PM »

I've no idea what dinner may be.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2006, 03:27:21 PM »

I know it's very chilly here, and cloudy and looks like rain.

And "Storm of the Century" is airing on SciFi Channel and makes it seem infinitely colder than F 48 degrees.

FJL

« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »

Speaking of scales and "sweet spots" (and Jose was speaking of those), did I mention that i got the limited edition "G" collection of Godiva candies as one of my Christmas presents?  And that i'm not even close to finishing them close to two days later.

Jennifer

« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2006, 03:28:14 PM »

Back home from shopping. Actually I was done by 2pm (stores opened at 1pm).

It is hard to explain the phenomena of Boxing Day here.

The stores are only allowed to open at 1pm. Yet the mall parking lot is fully packed by noon.

Basically everyone goes at noon even though the stores are closed. The eating places are open. ANd select stores open early.

It's always neat to see which stores open early.

Today it seemed like Old Navy, The Children's place, various shoe stores, the pharmacy and the dollar store.

Anyhow first stop at 1pm was the calendar store (all calendars go to 50% off the day after xmas).

I got a small day by day calendar. They didn't have any left of the big calendar i wanted.

Then we went to Hallmark and Carlton (card stores) to check out their 50% reduced selections. My mom got some bags (xmas and chanukah) and some wrapping paper. And we got some calendars (also 50% off).

By 2pm we were done.

My dad and brother-in-law went to the electronics stores. They are so packed on Boxing Day it is not even funny. Glad i did not go there.

Then we brought our stash to my sister's house (she stayed home with my niece who had a fever).

Then we watched some home movies of my niece from xmas day.  So cute. She is 15 months and she is so cute.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2006, 03:28:18 PM »

Speaking of scales and "sweet spots" (and Jose was speaking of those), did I mention that i got the limited edition "G" collection of Godiva candies as one of my Christmas presents?  And that i'm not even close to finishing them close to two days later.

I believe you DID mention them.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »

And I am envious.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2006, 03:32:03 PM »

Allow me to put in a plug here for "Airborne", the mega-vitamin boost that has kept me from devleoping a cold this holiday season.

A cold was coming on.  Yes, it was.  I felt it.  I sniffled.  I ached a bit.  I just KNEW I was going to be all kinds of sick.

But I'd just take another "Airborne" in a small glass of water.  And the symptoms would go away.

I'm convinced.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »

When I arrive home tomorrow afternoon, I will have a bed fully made with fresh, clean linens (and the mattress was turned, etc.); I will have a clean refrigerator!  And I will have a freezer full of yummy things to eat.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2006, 03:34:03 PM »

I was sitting here wondering whether to suggest we have spaghetti for supper...and I smell chicken frying.

Oh, MY!

FJL

« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2006, 03:34:06 PM »

Has anyone here tried Zicam?  It's apparently very effective for minimizing cold symptoms, but it affects your taste buds by rendering them wihtout taste.  (There's an opening for a joke there, but you know what i mean.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: December 26, 2006, 03:35:29 PM »

Well... Just be sure to find the "sweet spot" on the scale to make sure the airline knows your bag weighs just 50 lbs.  I've had bags weigh up to five to seven pounds more - or less - depending where you/they place the bag.

I've figured this out already.  If I'm over, I open the bag and hand my mom an item that weighs about four pounds.  That should do it.  And she will mail it to me.

Hope I'm not over by much if I'm over.  I could give her a pair of shoes to mail if that would be the difference.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »

Has anyone here tried Zicam?  It's apparently very effective for minimizing cold symptoms, but it affects your taste buds by rendering them wihtout taste.  (There's an opening for a joke there, but you know what i mean.)

I've done Zicam before, without much result.  However, to be fair, my respiratory issues have cleared up significantly since the last time I tried Zicam.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »

My flight out tomorrow morning is at 7.

To get to the airport with enough time to check baggage and get through security, we must leave for the airport at 4:45 a.m. EST.

Joy!

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: December 26, 2006, 03:38:53 PM »

Someone has to!  So you've been using Zicam for quite a few years then FJL? (Thank you for that too!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up