Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN BUSINESS  (Read 28280 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BACK IN BUSINESS
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »

DR Ginny - Hope you're feeling better too.  -Now, if you had just bought that iPod this past weekend, you could have spent today listening to all your favorites tunes.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »

And that brings us to Page 8!!!

Well, since I heard de Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain" on the radio while crossing the GW Bridge...

Let's do the JOTA!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »

DR TPunk - Good to see that you're back (too)!  Hope to see you and Rodzinski sometime in 2007!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2007, 08:37:48 PM »

bk - I know my timing is off...  But...  As for pictures vs. lyrics...  You could also do an "e-booklet", "digital booklet" like  they do for some of the albums on iTunes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

As for now mail for three days...

Well, if packages were expected... Just look at today as an opportunity to catch up those unopened, unviewed CDs and DVDs.

And as other DRs have expressed... Just another day without bills!  *Alas, the bill for my ER visit came in sometime last week... And, alas, my insurance has "refused payment" for the services, so... :-\  Guess I have some phone calls to make tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2007, 08:53:11 PM »

Yes, we went to the World's Fair, too, and saw the Unisphere along with "It's a Small World" at the Coca-Cola Pavillion and other notable sites. I remember Ford's site having the longest line. IBM was a very interesting site, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »

I'm off to bed now.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2007, 09:06:15 PM »

Normally, I take a few breaks watching DVDs, but I must say I'm finding Voyage Of The Damned, a film I've never seen, quite compelling, albeit a tiny bit over the top at times.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2007, 09:06:45 PM »

Now I shall finish it - only about forty minutes left (it's a two-and-a-half hour movie).

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2007, 09:23:36 PM »

Yes, we went to the World's Fair, too, and saw the Unisphere along with "It's a Small World" at the Coca-Cola Pavillion and other notable sites. I remember Ford's site having the longest line. IBM was a very interesting site, too.

Do you remember the Show-Go-Round at the Chrysler Pavillion? I only heard the theme to that show once and it stuck in my head. (And not in a good way, but more in a "It's a Small World" way.)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »

I looked up the Show-Go-Round, which featured Bil Baird's puppets, and ran across a Broadway musical he worked on with Yip Harburg, who wrote the book and lyrics, called "Flahooley, a fantasy about a mass-produced laughing doll who unintentionally threatens the American industrial system." according Wikipedia. Anybody know anything about this?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »

Of course...since I am talking to myself, I really don't expect and answer...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2007, 09:55:13 PM »

Voyage of the Damned is done, and I am done with motion pictures for this evening, even though I really have time for one more - maybe I'll finish the Hammer Noir I've been watching in the bedroom environment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »

Or maybe I'll start a posting frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2007, 09:56:50 PM »

Or maybe I'll have another Diet Coke.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2007, 09:57:05 PM »

Certainly I will not be eating any foodstuffs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2007, 09:59:24 PM »

I looked up the Show-Go-Round, which featured Bil Baird's puppets, and ran across a Broadway musical he worked on with Yip Harburg, who wrote the book and lyrics, called "Flahooley, a fantasy about a mass-produced laughing doll who unintentionally threatens the American industrial system." according Wikipedia. Anybody know anything about this?
Only what I've read.  Basically, the plot was all over the place, and one of the leads was a very young and very slender Barbara Cook.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2007, 10:01:19 PM »

I've never seen the show itself, but I do have the recording - see below - and I've played some of the songs from the show from time to time at auditions and such.

FLAHOOLEY

And I believe the show "provided" the Broadway debut of the always and still wonderful Barbara Cook.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2007, 10:02:14 PM »

Only what I've read.  Basically, the plot was all over the place, and one of the leads was a very young and very slender Barbara Cook.

Weren't we all "very young and very slender" at one time?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »

Hmm...  To paraphrase another show that Barbara Cook was in...

"Young and slender..."

DR FJL - I'll leave it up to you to finish the stanza.  ;)

*Do you think a proper Amish rhyming scheme would resemble the one in Spring Awakening?  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2007, 10:04:18 PM »

Der Grampa and I had a very good time with the grandlads today.

First, we picked them up at school as it let out, and then drove north to Christina, DE, where there is a Border's Bookstore.  There, Alex (who "hates" to read) found one book that he read right there in the store, and then found another for reading later and a third that he was fairly well through by the time we left.  William found a handful of books, not bad for a first-grader.  Add a DVD for each of them, they scored pretty well.

Me, I found three food books (including an actual cook book), and der Grampa found some DVDs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2007, 10:06:08 PM »

OHH!!! And Yma Sumac too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »

Der Grampa and I had a very good time with the grandlads today.

Me, I found three food books (including an actual cook book), and der Grampa found some DVDs.

What did you get?

*I'm awaiting my order from The Good Cook (BOMC) End of the Year Clearance Sale.  I just could not resist at $9.99 a book.  And NO shipping and handling!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: January 02, 2007, 10:09:50 PM »

...I mean... Yma Sumac was also in Flahooley.

*Oh, and I have the previous CD reissue of the OCR that was released on by EMI as part of their Broadway Angel series.  The current version is pressed by DRG.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2007, 10:12:56 PM »

Well, upon closer inspection, there's a bit more dust in my room, on my desk, on the shelves, etc., than I would like right now.  I guess that would happen after being away for four and a half months as well as having some new floor tiles put in.  So, I think I'm going to camp out tonight on the couch in the living room, and spend a good chunk of time getting things "un-dusted" - un-dusty ??? - tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2007, 10:13:28 PM »

We then all went to see a cinematic experience named Night at the Museum.  It is not a high drama.  Rather, it is a fun piece of fluff starring Ben Stiller as the new night watchman at the Museum of Natural History in NYC.  Nothing grand, just a lot of slapstick and a number of nice cameos by Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney, Ricky Gervais, a restrained Robin Williams, and (in a bit of stunt casting that der Grampa and I were probably the only ones in the theater to "get") Anne Meara.  We all had a good time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #236 on: January 02, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »

We then went to dinner at a nice steakhouse in the area, where der Grampa tried to make sure the lads had their homework completed before we took them home.

We then took them home, and Magic Mommy still yelled at them regarding their homework.

Some people know how to spoil any day.

And now we're home again.

Edisaurus

« Reply #237 on: January 02, 2007, 10:16:29 PM »

OHH!!! And Yma Sumac too!

Yma is my name, in Kritzerland...

Edisaurus

« Reply #238 on: January 02, 2007, 10:17:49 PM »

We all had a good time.

I never had grandpas as cool as that!

Edisaurus

« Reply #239 on: January 02, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »

*Oh, and I have the previous CD reissue of the OCR that was released on by EMI as part of their Broadway Angel series.  The current version is pressed by DRG.

I saw it for 10 bucks...being a Harburg fan, I may get it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up