Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NECESSARY TIDBITS  (Read 66360 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE NECESSARY TIDBITS
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »

You will not believe what I was just told.  The DWP says they are at a loss to explain why this would happen - the lady I talked to is forty-two years old and she, like me, has lived here all her life and never heard of such a thing happening in LA.  They have no ETA, there is nothing they can do, nor is there anything they WILL do - apparently, homeowners are responsible, not the DWP - their responsibility is only at what they call the "mains" and the water at the "mains" is fine - it's the pipes on the homeowners property that are frozen.  I mean, COME ON.  I aksed her what if it's all day and night.  She said nothing they can do.  I asked her what if it's a week?  Nothing they can do.  I am not a happy camper at this time.  The sky is blue and the sun is out, so maybe that will help.  

She'd been to work for fifteen minutes and has already had nine calls and there were seventy calls waiting after me.  REVOLT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2007, 09:02:56 AM »

I guess I'll bring my toothpaste and toothbrush to the rehearsal studio and hope THEY have some water.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:21 AM »

I've just heard some unearthly noises coming from the bathroom, so maybe the water is starting to melt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05:46 AM »

This city - I tell ya.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »

The DWP - I tell ya.  If you saw what the DWP bills are like here, you would be amazed at the fact that they are saying they have no responsibility.  I will be having a conversation with a supervisor about that very thing this week.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2007, 09:31:13 AM »

BK, could you make the book of world records to be the first to bathe in Diet Coke?  There's always bottled water for minor crises.

DR Ginny, what was the outcome of the Ohio water pollution?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2007, 09:35:42 AM »

DR Edisaurus, oh, yes, she's seen it!  Here's the website she maintains, to give you an idea of how fond she is of AR:
The AR Fan's Lifetime Reading Plan

Wow! Now tHAT is a serious fan!

I saw AR in Les Liaisons Dangereuses on Broadway back in the late '80's, before he became well-known in "Die Hard". He was great!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »

The DWP - I tell ya.  If you saw what the DWP bills are like here, you would be amazed at the fact that they are saying they have no responsibility.  I will be having a conversation with a supervisor about that very thing this week.

Let us know how that turns out.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:22 AM »

Was it really cold enough in LA to freeze pipes? We didn't even turn the heater on last night!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 09:38:36 AM »

The water in the pipes has frozen because of the cold weather we've been having.  When it heats up, then we'll have water.  What kind of idiots are these?  

"We" is not all of LA, just the area away from the coast (like Burbank/Thousand Oaks, etc). LAX never got down to freezing.

Just what is it you think those "idiots" should have done - twirled their prayer wheels faster 8)

And have you done your due dilligence?

Have you freeze-protected outside water bibbs?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »

I took a shower with water running off the shed roof one time when we were out of water. Brrrr...that was cold! I'm glad it didn't stop raining while I had a head full of shampoo!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 09:40:17 AM »

I took a shower with water running off the shed roof one time when we were out of water. Brrrr...that was cold! I'm glad it didn't stop raining while I had a head full of shampoo!

Good thing you weren't in Australia.  You might have been charged a shampoo tax for using rainwater.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 09:43:39 AM »

It is, allegedly, Fahrenheit 28 degrees here in Oakland "right now."

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I, of course, knew naught of this as I have a mattress warmer that allowed me toasty comfort all through the night.

I do have my thermostats set on 70...and the house feels much as it does on winter days when I have it set on 60.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »

If I'm talking as though I've just gotten up.  Well...15 minutes ago....
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:47:51 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »

I mouth-breathed all night.  Woke up with the sensation of having been eating cotton bolls.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2007, 09:44:53 AM »

Was it really cold enough in LA to freeze pipes? We didn't even turn the heater on last night!

Outlying areas dipped into the twenties (Van Nuys airport was below freeezing for six solid hours this morning).

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2007, 09:45:09 AM »

The water is unfrozen.  I have shaved and brushed my teeth but will have to shower later or I will be late for rehearsal.  It's okay, as I showered last night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2007, 09:45:21 AM »

A sad truth:  When those cotton bolls get rotten, you can't eat very much cotton.

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2007, 09:47:17 AM »

Another sad truth:  These weather patterns surely seem to suggest that environmental things are going wacko.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2007, 09:49:09 AM »

It's time I gave my mom a jingle-jangle to see how her weekend is going.

Ciao-ders.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2007, 09:50:23 AM »

They have no ETA, there is nothing they can do, nor is there anything they WILL do - apparently, homeowners are responsible, not the DWP - their responsibility is only at what they call the "mains" and the water at the "mains" is fine - it's the pipes on the homeowners property that are frozen.  I mean, COME ON.  I aksed her what if it's all day and night.  She said nothing they can do.  I asked her what if it's a week?  Nothing they can do.  

But there are things you can do! When anticipating a freeze, leave one faucet on in a tiny, slow stream - that will keep your pipes from freezing (does jump the water bill a bit :(

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2007, 09:50:33 AM »

DR Edisaurus, oh, yes, she's seen it!  Here's the website she maintains, to give you an idea of how fond she is of AR:

The AR Fan's Lifetime Reading Plan

I absolutely love Truly Madly Deeply.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2007, 09:51:24 AM »

Another sad truth:  These weather patterns surely seem to suggest that environmental things are going wacko.

You think the record cold is Global Warming?

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2007, 09:52:45 AM »

You will not believe what I was just told.  The DWP says they are at a loss to explain why this would happen - the lady I talked to is forty-two years old and she, like me, has lived here all her life and never heard of such a thing happening in LA.  They have no ETA, there is nothing they can do, nor is there anything they WILL do - apparently, homeowners are responsible, not the DWP - their responsibility is only at what they call the "mains" and the water at the "mains" is fine - it's the pipes on the homeowners property that are frozen.  I mean, COME ON.  I aksed her what if it's all day and night.  She said nothing they can do.  I asked her what if it's a week?  Nothing they can do.  I am not a happy camper at this time.  The sky is blue and the sun is out, so maybe that will help.  

She'd been to work for fifteen minutes and has already had nine calls and there were seventy calls waiting after me.  REVOLT!

Well, don't count on FEMA

Cillaliz

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 09:55:05 AM »

Yes, the polar bears would agree with you on that one

Cillaliz

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »

You think the record cold is Global Warming?

der Brucer

Yes, global warming leads to extreme weather patterns, not just warmer weather

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »

Oh, guess I should say good morning. It's snowing out. Wasn't supposed to start until late today, so I'm hoping this means we get a lot more than predicted

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »

I, of course, knew naught of this as I have a mattress warmer that allowed me toasty comfort all through the night.

I do have my thermostats set on 70...and the house feels much as it does on winter days when I have it set on 60.

Well snuggle up - Oakland is predicted to fall below freezing from 4AM to 8AM tomorrow.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2007, 10:05:45 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... Hmm... What to make for brunch? Hmm... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2007, 10:15:01 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up