Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FROZEN PIPES  (Read 77657 times)

Miss Karen

Re:THE FROZEN PIPES
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »

Now that you mention it, you do resemble Casper when he didn’t want anyone to see him.
yuk, yuk, yuk -- you so funny!  Hmmm, but now that you mention it, my photo is a little washed out.... Guess I need a new photog who knows something about lighting....

Miss Karen

« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2007, 05:55:26 PM »

..actually, I look like a little star on stop of a tiny computer....

Miss Karen

« Reply #242 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:41 PM »

...oops, I mean  "on top of" not "on stop of"...(I'm trying to up that posting total so ol' BK can sign on some more advertisers and make some money with this site..)....hey and I helped us turn the page to number 7!

Ginny

« Reply #243 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

Congratulations to you both, Ginny.  How many years?

Thanks, DR TCB - it'll be 26 on January 17.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #244 on: January 15, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »

I must keep offending Dan the Man -- he disappears each time I post him a question.  I hope I didn't offend him by saying he looks like Charlie Brown -- but if the shoe fits... and I bet if we took a HHW poll, the majority would agree with me....Okay, I've done my part to help Mr. BK get those sponsors (i.e. money), so now it's up to the rest of you while I go check out the GGs ! Cheerio!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #245 on: January 15, 2007, 06:05:02 PM »

Darn, I have to wait until Keith is off the other computer.

Miss Karen, Sherlock is our 5½ month old Bernese Mountain Dog.

We have a bell (looks like a cow bell) tied to a ribbon near the door to the dog run.  Two days ago we began teaching Sherlock to ring it when he needs to go potty.  I’m not sure he has the potty connection yet but he has figured out if he rings it he gets a treat.  He also likes to go out and sit on the deck so either way he is rewarded.  Today he began ringing the bell when we weren’t around.  I get so excited every time I hear the bell & run to see him.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #246 on: January 15, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »

Gee, if you are a member of AOL, you can find out who won the Golden Globes the very first second you turn on your computer -- even if you don't want to know!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #247 on: January 15, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »

..or a shot of the ol' agave juice ain't bad either...thanks! I'll take that as a compliment as long as you mean my postings and not the way I look...I get a kick out of all of you, too, especially how so many of the HHWayers like to talk about food (but they learned from the master, Mr. BK himself) -- I mean, an afternoon of postings about Russian dressing?  What a hoot!

Ha!  Wait till we talk about pie!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2007, 06:19:15 PM »

Hey Mr. Man ~ You never did answer my afternoon posting/question (I think you logged off before I could get it posted or either your're ignoring me) about your photo and how you look so much like Charlie Brown.  Are you guys related?  And that curl -- natural or  perm?

It's all natural.  Everything about me is natural.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »

Shhh, it is a toupee.

I'll never forgive you for that time you grabbed it off and flushed it down the toilet in the restroom!
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »

I just got home. Did they announce best actress in a TV drama yet?

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »

I am not watching the Golden Globes, but I will be curious to hear who wins.

Instead I popped in another Bollywood movie. KATHPUTLI (1971) starring Jeetendra, Mumtaz, Helen, Agha, Bhagwan, Milaka, and Master Chikoo.

I don't think it won any Golden Globe awards, but perhaps a special mention for " film with the most actors with only one name."

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 06:33:58 PM by MBarnum »

Cillaliz

« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »

Is that with the chill factor or does it feel colder?

How long does it take you to layer on all your clothes before going out?   ;D

My guess is air temp since our air temp will be -16. The wind chill would make it feel colder than that. But at some point it really doesn't feel any colder.  

MBarnum

« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2007, 06:32:36 PM »

Miss Karen, you will find that the highest posting days are the days we talk about food. We are a hungry bunch!  ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #254 on: January 15, 2007, 06:33:32 PM »

DR Jane,
It only snowed a little bit up here. However it has been quite chilly!

Jane

« Reply #255 on: January 15, 2007, 06:38:09 PM »

Sounds like here.  Today was much warmer at 41 degrees.

Jane

« Reply #256 on: January 15, 2007, 06:41:11 PM »

My guess is air temp since our air temp will be -16. The wind chill would make it feel colder than that. But at some point it really doesn't feel any colder.  

It all depends on how much clothing you wear & if you cover your entire body with said clothing. ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2007, 06:47:23 PM »

I just got home. Did they announce best actress in a TV drama yet?

Yes, according to CNN.com it was Kyra

Jane

« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »

We must remember not to go to the dog park on holidays.  The last time we met a total “bleep, bleep” was on New Years Day.  This time we met up with a friend of Sherlock’s from puppy class.  A big solid pit bull mix decides to hump Sherlock, after we chased him off Sherlock’s friend, while growling at him.  I began calling for the owner, who was sitting a good distance away from his dog, to get his dog.  He yells at me “what do you expect when you take a dog in heat to the dog park”.  With little control I “explained” Sherlock is a puppy and your dog is being aggressive.  The jerk said his dog was just playing at which point Keith had more to say to him.  Of course the man continued to let his dog “just play” in the same manner with lots of dogs.  Folks were constantly calling their dogs away from the “playful” dog.  

Jane

« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2007, 06:50:25 PM »

Now that I'm done with my rant I should go wash dishes.

'night

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »

The ice is still so thick in my apartment's parking lot, that it took me twenty minutes to get out today to go to the store.  Now they are predicting more snow for tonight, and I have to be at work by 6:00 (that is A.M., Jose).
“One thing’s universal,

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »

Yes, according to CNN.com it was Kyra

Dang! I missed it! But thanks so much for the info! I looked on the GG website and didn't find anything.

Yay! Guess I didn't cut those congratulation spots for naught!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »

We must remember not to go to the dog park on holidays.  The last time we met a total “bleep, bleep” was on New Years Day.  This time we met up with a friend of Sherlock’s from puppy class.  A big solid pit bull mix decides to hump Sherlock, after we chased him off Sherlock’s friend, while growling at him.  I began calling for the owner, who was sitting a good distance away from his dog, to get his dog.  He yells at me “what do you expect when you take a dog in heat to the dog park”.  With little control I “explained” Sherlock is a puppy and your dog is being aggressive.  The jerk said his dog was just playing at which point Keith had more to say to him.  Of course the man continued to let his dog “just play” in the same manner with lots of dogs.  Folks were constantly calling their dogs away from the “playful” dog.  

Did you explain to the nice man that your dog was neither in heat, nor gay.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:04:09 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

jhvw

« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »

DR Cillaliz...how I miss the winters of Iowa. I remember when we were little and we could throw hot water out in the air and it would freeze before it hit the ground. Strange how it never seemed to bother me back then, now I can't stand to be cold.

Cillaliz

« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2007, 07:05:34 PM »

DR Cillaliz...how I miss the winters of Iowa. I remember when we were little and we could throw hot water out in the air and it would freeze before it hit the ground. Strange how it never seemed to bother me back then, now I can't stand to be cold.

LOL, you can say you miss it, but after we threw the hot water in the air a couple times I think you'd have enough of it.  ;)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2007, 07:14:19 PM »

Miss Karen, you will find that the highest posting days are the days we talk about food. We are a hungry bunch!  ;D

Even if you weren't hungry you will be after reading the posts!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #266 on: January 15, 2007, 07:17:06 PM »

Even if you weren't hungry you will be after reading the posts!

Well... ;)

So...

Today's "walk" turned into a Comfort Food Bonanza.  I ended up meeting up with former DR Jason at Union Square, and we walked over to 2nd Ave., then turned onto 12th St...  First stop:

S'MAC
More properly known as Sarita's Macaroni & Cheese

We composed our own "sampler", ordering three "Nosh" sizes of:

All-American - "Just the way you remember it as a kid! Nostalgia at its finest - a tasty blend of American & Cheddar cheeses."

Cheeseburger - "For the Hearty Meat Eater! Ground Beef done to perfection with onions, garlic and a hint of ketchup and mustard. Don't forget the best part - a combination of American and Cheddar cheeses."

Cajun - "If you are looking for some kick, here it is. Cheddar & Pepper Jack cheeses, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic and, of course, some genuine Cajun seasoning."

Each dish was served in it's own small cast iron pan, and we ordered them all with the "bread crumb" option.  The verdict: YUM!!!

And then after a walk around the neighborhood for a bit...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2007, 07:18:21 PM »

It was time for dessert, so we stopped into:

Chocolate By The Bald Man - Max Brenner

Where we indulged in:

Melting Marshmallow Hot Chocolate - Whipped hot chocolate with melting marshmallows.  A choice of dark, milk of white. -Jason chose "milk".
Mexican Spicy Hot Chocolate - With red chili, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper. -My selection.

And then for our entree:
Sharing (tasting for two) - Which was composed of  samples of the following:

-Chocolate Fondue - Choice of milk, dark or white; we chose milk.  -Served with bananas, strawberries, and marshmallows. -And it even came with a small Sterno flame to toast the marshmallows.

-Chocolate ice cream - Choice of milk, dark, white or vanilla; we chose dark.  -Topped off with a "shell" of dark chocolate.

-Crunchy Chocolate Cream Snack - This what was listed in the menu, but it was switched out with a chocolate petit-four of sorts - a slice of a layered fudge - dark chocolate, and peanut-toffee.

-Popping Candies Chocolate Lick - A shot glass filled with Popping candies (Pop Rocks), warm chocolate truffle cream and white chocolate chunks.  Melted chocolate and pop-rocks... Who knew?!?!

-Warm Banana Split Waffle - A warm Belgian waffle, toffee bananas, chocolate sauce (served on the side in a small beaker) - to be supplemented by the chocolate ice cream.  -And a dish of whipped cream on the side.

Needless to say, there was a lot of chocolate on the table.  A LOT!.  However, I have to give MB credit for not making the "meal" a total sugar-fest.  The Belgian waffle was just lightly sweet, the whipped cream was unsweetened, and the strawberries and bananas were fresh and provided a "healthy" tinge to the affair.  We finished everything. Almost.

*And since the tables there are too small(!), our waiter "staged" our meal, starting us off with the chocolate fondue, and then bringing everything else to the table.  So it was like we were having a full chocolate meal: our cocktails were the hot chocolate, the fondue was our appetizer, and the main course and dessert was everything else.

Was it the best chocolate I've ever had?  No.  But it was really good chocolate.  And the gimmicky presenation (Hug Mugs, Chocolate Warmers) worked for me.  Our service was OK.  They just need more waitstaff - the place was packed.  *And their waitstaff are all stick-thin - "See, this young man/woman works here, and s/he must eat chocolate, and s/he is thin."  ;)  And due to their computer system going down, it took a while to get the check settled.  But, all in all, a nice "chocolate experience".  It's not something that I could do on a regular basis - just too much indulgence (even for me), but I'll probably be taking out-of-town guests there from time to time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »

I haven't read any of the posts yet to see what's being said about the Golden Globes. But i'm guessing we are not doing spoilers. So i'll just comment on fashion (while they are rambling on now).

There are a lot of stars in the audience who i would like to see (their dresses).  I did not see the red carpet. But i would like to see J Lo, reese, kate winslet, jennifer garner,and a bunch of others.

One dress so far that i really did like was presenter Jessica Biel.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »

And then Jason headed up to the Golden - He just got promoted last week: he's now the merchandising manager for Avenue Q.  -And this just after he had been promoted to merchandise manager for Evil Dead: The Musical!  -The week before!

...And I ended up walking all the way up to Columbus Circle... I had to do something after all that mac'n'cheese and chocolate. ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 07:23:39 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up