Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: TOMORROW'S NOTES TODAY  (Read 80536 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:TOMORROW'S NOTES TODAY
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2007, 04:50:32 PM »

July of 2008???  Only in LA.  ...  Of course, to me, allowing hands-free devices is equally as bad - because it's not the holding of the cell phone, it's the not paying attention to the driving because they're having a delightful conversation with someone and are off in some world other than being a careful driver.  

A. The law is a CA law, not an LA law.

B. ThePepperdine Graphic agrees with you:
Cell phone bill must expand
Scott Miller
Perspectives Assistant

After six years of trying, California Sen. Joe Simitian, D — Palo Alto, finally got his anti-cell-phone-while-driving bill, SB1613, passed (effective July, 2008), with Gov. Schwarzenegger supporting the passage. However, the bill still allows hands-free set ups for drivers.

The real threat of talking while driving is not the popular misconception that the driver needs both hands on the wheel — it is that talking in itself distracts the driver. It creates a cognitive distraction from driving that other tasks do not require, i.e., changing the radio station and even having conversations with other passengers.

It creates a tunnel vision effect, where the driver, although looking at the road, will not register much of what they see, according to drivenowchatlater.com. Studies have shown that distractions do not cease with hands-free gadgets.

In 2004, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)and the University of Iowa tested whether hands-free devices yield safe drivers. The study found that they do not.

Hands-free equipment caused as much of a distraction, if not more, because of the increased time required to dial a phone call, as compared to a hand-held phone.

Long have hand-held cell phones been the scapegoat of those looking to blame high accident rates on something. But it is time to start seriously looking at, and contemplating, the other factors of this problem, such as the misconception about hands-free set-ups being a viable solution to the problem.

Let’s stop kidding ourselves into thinking that hand-held phones are the only problem.

Take it to the next level and do what a government is supposed to do, protect innocent citizens from the others who are irresponsible and endanger everyone else.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2007, 04:50:42 PM »

DR Jose, when I downloaded the recording to my iTunes, I deleted the "Mirabai songs."  Oy!

I will sometimes go back and give the "Mirabai Songs" another chance.  I mean, if Dawn Upshaw likes them... Well...  I'm still not too keen on them.  Or any other music by John Harbison.  I just seem to hear too much of his "method" - it seems academic to me.

One of the first concerts I went to at the Kennedy Center featured Vladimir Ashkenzy playing Brahms' First (or maybe it was the Second) Piano Concerto.  Alas, the way the concert was programmed, the featured soloist was featured after the intermission.  So...  They were premiering a new work in the first half... "Ulysses' Bow"... by John Harbison.  Needless to say, I thought it was a very long first half.

-And when I was managing the sheet music store, all the Harbison new issues that came in would sit in the bins for years(!).  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2007, 04:53:17 PM »

OOOHH!!!

12 minutes to "American Idol"

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #243 on: January 16, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

DR Jane - I hope everything is all right with Sherlock.  -And that's a great pic too!

-And glad to now you made it home safe and sound too.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #244 on: January 16, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »

Lots of water for the usual health reasons or related to helping him pass the plastic?

Dissolves the cellulose (TP and roll) and helps ease out the plastic.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #245 on: January 16, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »

Thanks elmore.  Me too.  I am sure that Dakota Celt and a few others would laugh at the eight inches of snow that we currently have on the ground, but we are not equipped to deal with this much snow.  I believe the city of Tacoma probably has fewer snowplows than they have city councilmen; and neither is very effective.

You would really laugh at the small amount of snow that caused such a mess today.  I am definitely experienced at driving in the snow & while we didn’t have much, it sure was slippery.  And those other cars going out of control were scareing me.

I did pass a big deicer truck on the freeway, at least they get them out quickly here.  It was funny how many cars were content to stay behind the truck.

Jane

« Reply #246 on: January 16, 2007, 04:57:53 PM »

Thanks.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #247 on: January 16, 2007, 05:06:46 PM »

Let the off-key singing begin!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #248 on: January 16, 2007, 05:17:38 PM »

Jose-Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2007, 05:26:00 PM »

Be careful, all you folks driving in the snow!

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2007, 05:40:35 PM »

Be careful, all you folks driving in the snow!

DearReaderLaura, what's up with DRs Kerry and MusicGuy?  I miss them!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2007, 05:44:54 PM »

Did anyone who watched the Golden Globes notice that Brad Pitt looks "different" in some way?  Has his face filled out a tad?  Are his eyes somehow more puffy?  Or squintier?
He's pregnant.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »

He's pregnant.

Oh!  For a moment, I thought you meant MusicGuy.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »

I was very determined to get to my appointment today.  The office is located behind a Baskin Robbins Ice Cream store and  I was all set to bring home a pint each of chocolate chip & chocolate.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

In weather like we're having, I'm quite fortunate in that I (now) live so close to where I work. ;D But tonight, I start rehearsals for a local production of Sean O'Casey's "Juno and the Paycock!"  I'm playing Captain Boyle, Juno's husband and perpetual ne'er-do-well.  Another actor in the show is the guy who played the Indian Chief in Cannibal:  The Musical, but he doesn't have a car.  I said that I'd pick him up tonight and drive him to rehearsal and, if necessary, home again (yes, I'm a nice guy).  But hopefully, I won't have to do that for every rehearsal (Tuesdays and Thursdays)...I'm not that nice. ::)

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #255 on: January 16, 2007, 05:59:16 PM »

There are three pieces of classical music that really choke me up:

Rachmanioff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
Beethoven's Ninth Symphony
And the Franck

I need Larry Moore to explain the fascinating antiphonal orchestrations that make the orchestra sound like the world's largest pipe organ.

der Brucer

All right, I'll get the Franck in the car for our trip.  I don't think I'm familiar with it yet.

The Beethoven and the Rachmaninoff also go in the car.

But this means adding Beethoven's Sixth (my favorite) and ALW's Variations (same source material as the Rach).  Just for balance.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #256 on: January 16, 2007, 06:00:31 PM »

Oh!  For a moment, I thought you meant MusicGuy.
Hey, I'm commenting while catching up!  Der Brucer hogged the computer four HOURS after I got home!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #257 on: January 16, 2007, 06:05:15 PM »

MusicGuy changed computers and lost his password, and, of course, no one who used to help manage this stie will help, so I suggested he reregister, keep his name and add a numeral or something.  That was a week ago, but I haven't heard anything since.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: January 16, 2007, 06:05:55 PM »

Have watched two Hammer Noirs - total running time between them shorter than most of today's movies

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #259 on: January 16, 2007, 06:09:05 PM »

In weather like we're having, I'm quite fortunate in that I (now) live so close to where I work. ;D But tonight, I start rehearsals for a local production of Sean O'Casey's "Juno and the Paycock!"  I'm playing Captain Boyle, Juno's husband and perpetual ne'er-do-well.  Another actor in the show is the guy who played the Indian Chief in Cannibal:  The Musical, but he doesn't have a car.  I said that I'd pick him up tonight and drive him to rehearsal and, if necessary, home again (yes, I'm a nice guy).  But hopefully, I won't have to do that for every rehearsal (Tuesdays and Thursdays)...I'm not that nice. ::)

;)

Don't worry, George; maybe he puts out?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: January 16, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »

Thanks elmore.  Me too.  I am sure that Dakota Celt and a few others would laugh at the eight inches of snow that we currently have on the ground, but we are not equipped to deal with this much snow.  I believe the city of Tacoma probably has fewer snowplows than they have city councilmen; and neither is very effective.

8 inches of snow isn't anything to laugh at. We had  7 1/2 and even though we are equipped to deal with it, it's a mess trying to get around

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #261 on: January 16, 2007, 06:14:08 PM »

DearReaderLaura, what's up with DRs Kerry and MusicGuy?  I miss them!

Thanks for reminding me -- DR Kerry asked me about lunch this week, then I didn't hear back from him. I'll call him.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #262 on: January 16, 2007, 06:18:09 PM »

DR Jane, glad you are safe, driving on ice is VERY scary, it doesn't take much to make things a total mess.  Hope everything comes out all right for Sherlock.  Seriously, hope he's ok, keep us posted ok?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:18:35 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2007, 06:21:03 PM »

Well the cold has set in. I have used my Airborne, EmergenCee, now Zicam and my Advil Cold and Sinus (we have to sign for that here, so it's a pain to buy it).  I worked most of the day, but came home a little early. I'm feeling a little better after a nap.

Cillaliz

« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2007, 06:21:31 PM »

TCB, also glad you made it home ok

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #265 on: January 16, 2007, 06:22:12 PM »

Well... I think "Grease: You're The One That I Want" and "American Idol" in the same week is just too, too, too, too much.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »

But how about Fox releasing the season premiere of "24" on DVD today?

*And if you buy it, you get $10 off your purchase of a previous season's DVD set.  -At least that's what the commercial said.

**However, I "heard" about the release today while riding the elevator - they have small TVs in the elevators cars at 520 8th Ave. broadcasting bits of news.  The news about the DVD release was flashed on the screen somewhere between the first and sixteenth floor.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2007, 06:27:35 PM »

Anyone need a new avatar?

der Brucer
It gives "getting the finger" a whole new meaning.

Jane

« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2007, 06:28:01 PM »

Cillaliz-I hope you feel better.  Winter colds are so difficult to get rid of.

Hopefully I will have good news to report tomorrow & Keith didn’t have to search through snow to find it. ;D

Jane

« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2007, 06:29:25 PM »

It gives "getting the finger" a whole new meaning.

Oh, that's what that is-LOL-I couldn't see nor imagine what it was.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up