Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEDNESDAY THAT FELT LIKE A WEDNESDAY  (Read 73951 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE WEDNESDAY THAT FELT LIKE A WEDNESDAY
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2007, 06:24:45 PM »

Final bit -

Dinner was wonderful, at the Bistro Romano on Lombard.  I took pic-a-tures, which der B will hopefully be able to post later.

And then we headed on home!

And, since I've an early call to work tomorrow, I'll sign off now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »

Page Nine Dance -

Edward Scissorhands did NOT wear a tutu!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »

Jose - Didn't you almost see MAME in D.C.?  

"Almost" is the key word.  Close, but no see-gar.
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »

..oh, I hear some squeaking and squawking coming from the telly -- it must be American Idol.  It's like a train wreck, I can't look away -- I have to go "rubber neck" as we call it in Texas ( and what I call it in AZ now).  Adios!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:49 PM »

Oh, one more bit of Monkee Trivia:  I read that Michael's mom invented liquid paper (No, I didn't read it in the Weekly World News -- it was some reliable source as I recall, so I think that's true).  

That is true.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2007, 06:28:04 PM »

One word to describe HHW'ers Day:

DR JOSESPIANO - Talented

Thank you, DR JRand.  <blush>

:-*
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »

Or be a hunky monkey!

Or do like they do/did in the musical version of Eating Raoul, and have some HOT MONKEY LOVE![/color]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2007, 06:35:05 PM »

Emergen-C

AIRBORNE

Emergen-C

AIRBORNE

DR RLP - Speaking from personal experience - which was later backed up by my doctor:  It is possible to overload on Vitamin C.  And such an overload could cause some gastric and digestive "issues".  Be sure you're taking some Vitamin A and E and calcium to help balance things out.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2007, 06:36:06 PM »

Happy Anniversary Ginny and Richard!

*And it was good to read that The Meadows was still open for dinner.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2007, 06:36:10 PM »

ASk BK:

Now that The Brain from Planet X has ended it's run what becomes of the actual Brain? Does LACC keep it? Do you keep it? Was it tossed? Will it be kept for future runs of the play?

I would imagine that LACC is keeping it safe and sound.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »

ASK BK DAY

Recently, I was watching / listening to the SHOWTUNES channel on the cable TV.  Under their Interesting (?) Facts segment they listed that Maureen McGovern (she was singing a song from LITTLE WOMEN) had won two Academy Awards for "The Morning After" and "We May Never love Like This Again".

Does the singer that records a song for a film win an Oscar, as well?
[/size]

Their interesting fact is, of course, completely incorrect.  The SONGS won the Oscars for their writers - not the singer.   Miss McGovern SANG two Oscar-winning songs is what it is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »

Back from an interesting rehearsal - our first time in the theater - more in the notes.  For now, I must sit on my couch like so much fish and watch a film.

Ginny

« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2007, 06:40:42 PM »

Happy Anniversary Ginny and Richard!

*And it was good to read that The Meadows was still open for dinner.  ;)

Thanks, DR Jose!  While supping at The Meadows, Richard and I were discussing our week's vacation in Washington, DC, at the end of June.  He had the brilliant suggestion that we could take a day trip by train up to NYC during that week.  Is is possible to take the train up on a Wednesday or Saturday, see a matinee, and then go back to DC that evening?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2007, 06:51:16 PM »

...And I had a very good time at the auditions today.  Some good people, some not so good people.  But there were some good people.  :)

And I had a good day myself.  I was playing for a casting director whom I had seen in about ten years.  And that was back in DC.  Before we began, he looked at me, and said, "Kennedy Center, right?"  YEP!  -And he even remembered from some of the Lestat rehearsals he had peeked in on.  It's always nice to be remembered.  For the right reasons.

*And the best part came at the end of the day when he asked if I was available to play the remainder of the callbacks next week.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »

Thanks, DR Jose!  While supping at The Meadows, Richard and I were discussing our week's vacation in Washington, DC, at the end of June.  He had the brilliant suggestion that we could take a day trip by train up to NYC during that week.  Is is possible to take the train up on a Wednesday or Saturday, see a matinee, and then go back to DC that evening?

Very much so.

And as much as I like Amtrak - especially the Acela - since you're planning your trip this far in advance, it may be cheaper for you to fly up and back to DC on one of the air shuttles (Delta, US Airways).  With a two-week advance purchase, a round trip air shuttle costs just as much as a one-way ticket on the Acela.  And even with the cab fare into the city, you'd still come out ahead.  And that would also free up a couple hours for your day in NYC.  Something you may want to look into.

*However, if you feel like splurging on the Acela... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2007, 07:05:18 PM »

And as for "America Idol" in general...

All these "kids" want is fame and fortune.  Without none of the work, sweat, heartache, talent and time that is required for such a lofty goal.

And it's soooooo easy to see that none of these people have ever been to an audition of any sort before they went before Randy, Paula and Simon.  -And the pre-screeners.  None of them have ever been objectively - or subjectively - judged before.  And none of them have ever ASKED for someone to give them their thoughts on their supposed talent.

It boggles the mind.  It still boggles the mind.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2007, 07:07:51 PM »

Very much so.

And as much as I like Amtrak - especially the Acela - since you're planning your trip this far in advance, it may be cheaper for you to fly up and back to DC on one of the air shuttles (Delta, US Airways).  With a two-week advance purchase, a round trip air shuttle costs just as much as a one-way ticket on the Acela.  And even with the cab fare into the city, you'd still come out ahead.  And that would also free up a couple hours for your day in NYC.  Something you may want to look into.

Thanks for those insights.  We might be doing this as much for the east coast rail experience as anything, though.  Just how much of a splurge is the Acela?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2007, 07:10:18 PM »

Very much so.

It is also a long ride to do both ways in one day.

Ginny

« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

...All these "kids" want is fame and fortune.  Without none of the work, sweat, heartache, talent and time that is required for such a lofty goal....

That was kind of what I was thinking while watching the Grease thing the other night.

Cillaliz

« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2007, 07:10:56 PM »

And as for "America Idol" in general...

None of them have ever been objectively - or subjectively - judged before.  And none of them have ever ASKED for someone to give them their thoughts on their supposed talent.

It boggles the mind.  It still boggles the mind.

It boggles my mind that they haven't heard UNASKED for thoughts on their supposed talents

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »

And as was revealed during one of tonight's montages, the producers obviously ask some of the talentless candidates to come back to learn another song.  To possibly get a second chance? Maybe the cameras weren't running during their initial audition?  Or just to simply take advantage of them?  -and the waiver they signed.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »

It is also a long ride to do both ways in one day.

But since I probably won't get a winter/spring trip to New York this year, it might help me get through the whole year between October visits.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »

Thanks for those insights.  We might be doing this as much for the east coast rail experience as anything, though.  Just how much of a splurge is the Acela?

The standard rate is now up to $185.  Each way.  It can get as low at $135 during the off-hours, but for you to make a matinee, you'd be paying the standard rate.  However, you make it from Union to Penn in just under three hours.

The regular train is $85-115 each way now.  And those take anywhere from three and half to just under four hours.

The air shuttle takes an hour, and you can get a round-trip ticket starting around $160 with advance purchase.  Sometimes lower.  And the cab ride into the city, half hour tops.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:47 PM »

Richard and I just ate some apple pie.  Knowing she was making it for our anniversary, Maria garnished it with some pastry hearts.  It was yummy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2007, 07:18:08 PM »

But since I probably won't get a winter/spring trip to New York this year, it might help me get through the whole year between October visits.

I'm hoping to still do the October trip, but I may have to miss it this year. If I've calculated right I'll be opening my office in September. Maybe earlier, but unlikely. I will be on a very limited income until things get rolling.  

Ginny

« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2007, 07:20:01 PM »

DR Cillaliz - are you still planning to come to Cincinnati in April?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2007, 07:20:46 PM »

*And if you currently have some unused United Mileage Plus miles, you may be able to redeem them for a e-Certificate or two, and apply that to your ticket purchase.  1000 miles for a $25 e-cert, 5000 miles for a $75 e-cert.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »

DR Cillaliz - are you still planning to come to Cincinnati in April?

I think so. I may have to get back to you on that one. There is some networking I need to do with NACDL friends I haven't talked to in about a year, and I'm hoping for a seminar deal/discount on some research stuff I'll need so that's why I'm thinking Cincinnati is still a go. Plus it's tax deductible, but it would put a dent in my savings...hmmm . As soon as I have a better idea about what I need to save for monthly office expenses I'll know if Cincinnati is still viable. I'll keep you posted

Ginny

« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2007, 07:32:18 PM »

As much as I'd love to stay and chat with all you lovely people, I have a very full day tomorrow, including a visit from a college class.  After the techno-stress yesterday, who knows what might happen?

'night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2007, 07:34:59 PM »

Night Ginny. I think I need to get some cold meds and head to bed.  Night
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up