Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TGIS  (Read 62191 times)

Cillaliz

Re:TGIS
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2007, 08:45:30 PM »

Here 's a great review of Sacco and Vanzetti  http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/yates211206.html

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2007, 08:45:53 PM »

So, after the movie was over, I insisted that he watch the first ten minutes of THE SEARCHERS which remains a mind-boggling high definition transfer.

And when we got to a certain point, he wanted to see something that he had seen before in standard definition now in high definition, so I put in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III, and played the sequence when the Philip Seymour Hoffman character was rescued by his cohorts on the bridge, one of the biggest action set pieces in the film. MI: III also features Dolby Digital Plus sound, and I was pleased that John finally admitted that the picture and sound were truly mind blowing, a giant leap forward from the quality of the standard definition disc.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2007, 08:47:07 PM »

So tomorrow, I will finish WILD STRAWBERRIES, watch 30 ROCK and LAW & ORDER, the last of the shows I recorded last week for later viewing, and then find another movie from the to-watch shelf to view.

FJL

« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2007, 08:51:31 PM »

TCB - Based on the versions of Diary of Anne Frank that I've seen, and depending on the quality of your production's direction and young leading lady, the adjustments to the script  have the potential to challenge the audience in its affection for Anne and deepen the character tremendously, bringing her closer to the real-life Anne in a way that would have been less palatable to her living relatives (and audiences of the 1950's) but closer to the truth.  

Also, it gives a hook to advertise the piece as being unlike the Diary of Anne Frank the audience has seen before.  

I don't quite get the need for the cast to be onstage during intermission, though, as part of the deal - is that a directorial choice, or is that required by the new script?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 09:09:22 PM by FJL »

MBarnum

« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2007, 08:52:16 PM »

Dear BK,

I can no longer eat the Chinese food my DH brings home. I have been spoiled by Genghis Cohen.

I know what you mean Laura! That food was good!!! AS was the company!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2007, 08:56:47 PM »

DR Cillaliz, Peter told me to send you a big "hello" and wishes you luck when you take the plunge back into the freelance world. We both think you'll do great!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2007, 08:57:29 PM »

Tonights Bollywood movie I intend to get all the way through...RAJHATH (1956)...a big ole blustery historical drama type film...one of my favorite kinds of Bollywoods.

Stars Madhubala and Pradeep Kumar.

Edisaurus

« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »

Here 's a great review of Sacco and Vanzetti  http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/yates211206.html

I loved that write-up...it's probably the most thoughtful piece that's been written so far. Thanks, Priscilla!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

I can no longer eat the Chinese food my DH brings home. I have been spoiled by Genghis Cohen.

Maybe you should try the "Chinese Food in Bed"?

Edisaurus

« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

DR Jose, I looked for your squirrel man in Riverside Park, but it was probably too cold. I usually walk down to the path next to the river but I didn't stay very long and there were only two other crazy people out there, on their bikes.

Cillaliz

« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2007, 09:03:20 PM »

DR Cillaliz, Peter told me to send you a big "hello" and wishes you luck when you take the plunge back into the freelance world. We both think you'll do great!

Thanks!  I really enjoyed meeting Peter when I was in New York.

Cillaliz

« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2007, 09:06:37 PM »

MBarnum, did you know there's a Bollywood star on the UK's Big Brother? They're doing a celebrity version. I can't remember her name but there was a big todo about whether a celebrity from the UK, I think her name is Jade, was being racist or something

Edisaurus

« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2007, 09:06:57 PM »

DR Cillaliz---you must indeed have an egg cream when you're in NY, made by Jose at Eisenberg's. Yummmmm! And say hello to Josh, the owner. I hope we will make him famous!

Here's the address---it's near the Flatiron Building.
http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7100871

Edisaurus

« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

Love the doggie pix, MBarnum!

Cillaliz

« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »

Matt H.

« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2007, 09:09:03 PM »

I'm heading downstairs to bed now.

Good night!

Edisaurus

« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2007, 09:10:44 PM »

I know what you mean Laura! That food was good!!! AS was the company!

The wontons you et, were good, you bet!
The company was the same!

Cillaliz

« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2007, 09:12:31 PM »

DR Cillaliz---you must indeed have an egg cream when you're in NY, made by Jose at Eisenberg's. Yummmmm! And say hello to Josh, the owner. I hope we will make him famous!

Here's the address---it's near the Flatiron Building.
http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7100871

Thanks I'll put that on my list.

Cillaliz

« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »

DR Edi- thanks for mentioning the Hotel Edison way back when. I have a reservation there and am looking forward to dining in the cafe. I saw some photos on the net. Looks like my kind of joint

Edisaurus

« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2007, 09:24:41 PM »

DR Edi- thanks for mentioning the Hotel Edison way back when. I have a reservation there and am looking forward to dining in the cafe. I saw some photos on the net. Looks like my kind of joint

It's good, and relatively cheap! The waitresses are nice; some of them look like they've been there since the Edisno was built!

If you notice the staircase on the southside of the lobby, it goes up to a recording studio where they recorded "The Producers" OCR, among other things.

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »

Time to go curl up with a book and see if I can get some sleep.  Night

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »

It's good, and relatively cheap! The waitresses are nice; some of them look like they've been there since the Edisno was built!

If you notice the staircase on the southside of the lobby, it goes up to a recording studio where they recorded "The Producers" OCR, among other things.

Thanks. I'll look for it

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2007, 09:33:49 PM »

TOTD: Amelie
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2007, 09:41:08 PM »

Return of Martin Guerre was excellent and I also liked Manons of Spring

A movie that touched me was Au Revior, Les Enfants. It is a gut wrenching movie.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2007, 09:52:02 PM »

A movie that touched me was Au Revior, Les Enfants. It is a gut wrenching movie.

I forgot about that one, as well as La Letrice!

Welcome back, François!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2007, 10:16:42 PM »

RAJHATH no fury like a woman scorned.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »

I went to see an evening of one-acts that a friend was in. His was okay.  The final one, which was about to Hollywood stand-ins was quite impressively written and acted.

François

« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2007, 10:35:37 PM »

I forgot about that one, as well as La Letrice!

Welcome back, François!

Welcome back to you too!
I was wondering where you'd gone!

I'm happy the film is making such an impact! And I'm one of those people who do think that editing is crucial to the quality of a movie and as important as good direction!

A movie NOT TO MISS from Canada I deeply enjoyed recently: CONGORAMA! It's a comedy that takes place in Belgium and Canada!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2007, 11:20:32 PM »

Back from opening night, about which more later.  Will we never get to page 10?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2007, 11:21:10 PM »

I did see some lovely folks at the opening, and dinner was faboo as always.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up