Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FISH NOTES  (Read 76447 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FISH NOTES
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »

I finished WILD STRAWBERRIES to begin my afternoon of viewing. Always have a lovely feeling when I watch this movie. I become fonder and fonder of those three young people every time I see the film. I LOVE them!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2007, 01:39:24 PM »

Page Six HOME ON THE RANGE Dance!!!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »

I have never smoked and my favorite Dr. Seuss book is And to Think That I Saw it on Mulberry Street.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2007, 01:45:44 PM »

Next, I watched PETE'S DRAGON. This has been sitting unwatched on my shelf for at least five years. I had only seen the film once back in 1977 when it was released, so it was almost like seeing it for the first time in some respects.

I thought then and I think now that the film is at least 30 minutes too long. You have this wonderful cast of character actors, but most of them aren't given anything very interesting to do. I do like some of the songs ("Brazzle Dazzle Day" is my favorite, and the number itself is by far the most inventively staged in the movie).

As for the transfer, the live action stuff looks as good as other Disney films like OLD YELLER and original THE PARENT TRAP when they were ported over to DVD. Rich Technicolor, and the transfer is anamorphic. They've repurposed the sound to make it Dolby Digital 5.1, but it's mostly just spread across the front channels with little surround activity. But the animated dragon Elliott is VERY disappointing on the DVD. While the live action stuff is rich and solid, the animated parts are grainy and look faded in spots, and since Disney was a leader in mixing live action with animation, this is a huge disappointment.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2007, 01:47:37 PM »

I plucked another DVD off the to-watch shelf this afternoon - BILOXI BLUES. I love this play, and I like the film very much, but the DVD transfer isn't anything to write home about.

I only got about 35 minutes in, so I'll finish it when I go back downstairs later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »

I had a good time at DREAMGIRLS but at the moment I am totally frustrated with MySpace:
  1.  why wasn't I advised 3 years ago to join as a band member?
  2.  why can't I transfer info or how can I transfer everything?
  3.  why does it tell me I have 29 friends and I only see 28?

Who do I have to blank to fix it all?  Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »

My Brother and the Big Can

Yesterday, my brother --  let's call him Bloogie, because that's what I call him -- and I went on a wacky adventure that is a long story in itself that has absolutely nothing to do with fish or big cans, although it does involve burned pizza, a rather nasty conversation about a camping trip, and an under-construction pita restaurant.

When we got back to the home environment, our neighbor -- let's call him Marco, because, frankly, I don't know his name -- was standing outside his house. Marco runs a restaurant supply business out of his house, so it's not unusual to see him schlepping a commercial refrigerator or the like up or down his driveway. This time, he had one of those coolers you see at convenience marts with sodas in them. This thing was about three feet tall and looked like a Red Bull can. We got out of Bloogie's truck and Marco called out, "Hi! How's it going?"

Bloogie called back for everybody on our street to hear, "Great! I love your big can!" And I laughed and laughed.

About ten minutes later, after we'd gone inside and I was busy drinking a Cherry Coke and Bloogie was doing something on his computer, he suddenly stopped what he was doing and looked up. He asked, "Wait, did I tell a guy I liked his big can?!?"

I said, "No. You told a guy you LOOOOOVED his big can!" And I laughed and laughed some more.

And then this morning at church, before Bloogie got there, I put a note in the sound booth where Bloogie runs the sound for the church service. The note said: "I love your BIG CAN." I forgot to take into consideration the fact that Bloogie is not the only person who sits back there.

This other fellow -- let's call him Pooger -- sits in the sound booth as well although I don't think he actually does anything back there. As soon as Pooger got there, Bloogie handed him the note and said it was from me. Pooger avoided me after that.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2007, 02:13:34 PM »

Heading down now to clean my bathroom, and then finish BILOXI BLUES. After that, probably MISSION IMPOSSIBLE on Blu-ray.

Ginny

« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »

Just got to see

Heart & Soul:  The Life and Music of Frank Loesser

on one of our local PBS stations.  I learned a lot and enjoyed it very much.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »

I just talked to my Dad.  He's feeling much better, and I credit the vibes of all you DRs for speeding his recovery along.  Thank you so much.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2007, 02:22:27 PM »

...2.  What's your favorite fish as a pet?...

The summer before I went away to college I worked as a receptionist in a pediatrician's office.  In the waiting room there was a huge aquarium, which I hated helping Penny, the doctor's assistant, clean.  As my going-away present, Penny gave me a fully-outfitted fishbowl with some of those fake fish, the kind suspended on fishing line and weighted.  I left it behind in my bedroom at home and my grandmother came for a prolonged visit.  One night when my parents got home from work, Grandma told them that she thought my fish had died and how were they going to break it to me.  Mom and Dad kept Grandma going for a couple of days before fessing up that the fish were fake.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2007, 02:23:44 PM »

I just talked to my Dad.  He's feeling much better, and I credit the vibes of all you DRs for speeding his recovery along.  Thank you so much.

Good news, DR Elmore.  I hope he's staying in out of our yucky weather today.

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »

BK, how did the kid with the trampoline injury do?

DR Cillaliz, what date did you pick to see CURTAINS?

March 1, Thursday Wanna go?  Rupert has hinted he'd like it if I saw it more than once while I'm there, so if there is another time you'd like to see it that weekend, I can always go again. I don't have tickets to anything else yet.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2007, 02:41:56 PM »

Thanks for your message, Jeanne. My nights this week should afford me plenty of time to dig the info out of the archived posts!

No need. I found it and will email it right now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »

March 1, Thursday Wanna go?  Rupert has hinted he'd like it if I saw it more than once while I'm there, so if there is another time you'd like to see it that weekend, I can always go again. I don't have tickets to anything else yet.

I was thinking about buying a ticket and going with you.  It all depends on Ohio matters.

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2007, 02:46:33 PM »

I do not like Dr Seuss books.

I do not like them in a house, I do not like them with a mouse....

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2007, 02:50:05 PM »

I loved the Brother and the Big Can Story.

DR Sandra used some of my answers about fish.

1. What's your favorite fish to eat?
Salmon

2.  What's your favorite fish as a pet?
The Ladies, who live in our living room.

3.  What's your favorite fish in a lake, river or ocean?  Bonytail chub and razorback sucker, just because I like saying it.

4.  What's your favorite fish story (and that includes the one that got away)?
Ginny's story about the fake fish and her grandma upset at how to tell her the fish were dead.

5.  What's your favorite movie about a fish?
I have no favorite fish movie

6.  What's your favorite book about a fish?
Jonah

7.  What's your favorite movie about a fish?
None

8.  What's your favorite song about a fish?
"I Love Fish" by Guy Haines. Second favorite is "Fish, Fish, I love fish, every shape and size...." from Vacation Bible School many many years ago.

Bonus Question I added: Which fish do you NOT like?
Crayfish, because they are not native to Arizona, and therefore are a threat to the bonytail chub and razorback sucker (see question 3).
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2007, 02:50:07 PM »

I was thinking about buying a ticket and going with you.  It all depends on Ohio matters.

I already have a seat, so I doubt they'd be together. Does anyone else want to go to CURTAINS on March 1? It's only the 3rd night of previews, if that matters to anyone

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »

I smoked for 18 years, quit for 6, smoked for 1 quit for 9 months, smoked for 1 month and now have quit for 5 months.  I don't mind smoking being banned indoors. Going outside to smoke was a great way to meet people. I don't like to smell smoke in restaurants etc

Cillaliz

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2007, 02:55:04 PM »

I already have a seat, so I doubt they'd be together. Does anyone else want to go to CURTAINS on March 1? It's only the 3rd night of previews, if that matters to anyone

Of course, DR Elmore, just because our seats wouldn't be together doesn't mean I don't want to go with you, I would love to.

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2007, 02:55:26 PM »

VIBES TO OHIO!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »

Oh, I remember my favorite fish story. One of the four-year-old classes at the preschool has a pet fish named Pegasus. They feed him fish food out of a bottle with a picture of an orange fish on the label. Pegasus himself is sort of white with a blue spot, but the four-year-olds think that if they keep feeding him this food, he will turn orange like the fish in the picture. So every week or so, they gather around the tank and try to see if he's started turning orange yet. I thought about buying an orange fish over Christmas break and pulling the old switch-aroo, but I didn't because I wouldn't know what to do with Pegasus afterwards. Plus I wouldn't be able to get the orange fish to school because the only animals allowed on buses are the seeing-eye variety, and I think I would have a hard time convincing the bus driver that I had a seeing-eye fish.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2007, 03:03:54 PM »

Bonus Question I added: Which fish do you NOT like?
Crayfish, because they are not native to Arizona, and therefore are a threat to the bonytail chub and razorback sucker (see question 3).

I don't not like any fish. (What?)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »

Of course, DR Elmore, just because our seats wouldn't be together doesn't mean I don't want to go with you, I would love to.

I didn't take it that way.  If I'm in town, we have a date!

I meant to add about DREAMGIRLS that Charlotte didn't know the original show was a Michael Bennett production, so she was quite thrilled when his name came up on screen.  Her mother worked with Bennett on two shows.

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2007, 03:44:17 PM »

Well so much for the new snowblower.  I awoke to a new 6 1/2 inches of new snow.  I leisurely had breakfast and went out to clen the driveway. I got out the "new" snowblower and nothing. It wouldn't start, wouldn't even try to turn over. I asked my neighbor what he thought. He tried and said he thought it just wasn't going to work. So I said "Let's try the old one" He helped me figure out how to mix the gas with a can of oil I found in the garage and after a little sweet talking to the old machine. It started up and we were off. We both got a big kick out of that.

Since I haven't even had the new one for 10 days, I took it back. The guy at the store tried to start it and said "It's not getting any compression, it's not doing anything " Hello, that's why I brought it back. Anyway, I was pleased, they gave me a full refund, no restocking fee (as the receipt says they can). I was most pleased and have decided that I'm keeping the old one.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »

Since I was at the mall returning the snowblower, I got a haircut and took a trip to Barnes and Nobel.  I don't like the haircut, but it's ok. It will do for now.  I always go to the same shop and there is only one person I don't particularly like. I didn't see her in there until after I asked to see if I could get in today.  It's ok. It grows fast

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »

I must say, as much as I enjoyed the movie last night, there were three or four commercials and numerous trailers. The movie didn't start until 25 minutes after the advertised time. That's just insanity

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »

Good news, DR ELMORE.

Good news, DR CILLA LIZ.

Thanks to DR SANDRA for giving us the story of her neighbor, her brother, and the Big Can.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »

THE GAME is starting.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2007, 04:21:54 PM »

My other favorite fish story is the orange Seeing-Eye Fish.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up