Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FISH NOTES  (Read 76582 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:FISH NOTES
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2007, 04:42:54 PM »

I smoked for about twenty-five years, and quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I have never backslid (backslided?) at all, but that may be tested when Mr. Van Daan has to light up on stage.

In Ashland they make announcement before a play if there will be herbal cigarettes (they never use real ones).  I'm not sure if you are warned before purchasing the tickets.  So far I haven't had a problem with the herbal cigarettes.  

Can you smoke those instead?

Jane

« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2007, 04:52:20 PM »

Elmore-Good news about your father, vibes he continues to feel better.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2007, 04:52:38 PM »

SEVEN!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!SEVEN
SEVEN!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!SEVEN
SEVEN!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!SEVEN
SEVEN!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!SEVEN
SEVEN!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2007, 04:53:34 PM »

So who all's going to Grease Academy tonight?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »

Sandra, regarding the “can” story-ROTFLOL    

One year my brother gave me my only Dr. Seuss book, YERTLE THE TURTLE.  I still have it & it is still my favorite Seuss book.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2007, 04:55:19 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm multi-tasking right now: Watching TV ("Deal or No Deal"), checking my e-mail, reading the posts here on HHW, posting here in HHW... and falling asleep.

Whew!

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »

The snowplow has finally visited our street and the cross-street nearby.  It only took 12 hours for them to get here ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

I have a correction from yesterday... The lyric should have read:

So dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians

-Not "feed me to the lesbians".  -Although, it works either way.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »

The auditions went well today - again.  Not a bad turnout either.  And we had truly killer auditionee today.  She did so well, they were tempted to make her an offer then and there.  But since they have one more set of auditions coming up...  Also, it's technically not legal to make an offer on the spot at Equity auditions, so...  Calls to the agent have to be made first.  We shall see...

In any case, I had a good time.  Since it was for Jerry Springer - The Opera people were asked to bring in operatic repertoire, or at least sing a standard in an legit/operatic manner.  Some of the music that was put in front of me challenged me a few times - there's just no such thing as a "simple" piano reduction to a Britten aria/opera.  However, it was nice playing - and hearing - some rep I hadn't played nor heard in a while.  And there were some truly wonderful singers, including a coloratura soprano and a true spinto.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »

Dr JRand - As for the funniest song that was brought in... Hmm...  I'm not sure it was the funniest, but there was a woman I recognized from the first set of auditions I ever played in NYC about 10 years ago.  And I remembered her audition too.  And when she walked in, I wondered if she would do the same audition, and, lo and behold, she did.  It's very hard to describe accurately, but here's an attempt:  She sings "And this is my beloved" from Kismet.  She sings the first phrase.  Then she sings the next phrase but in a different manner.  Then the next phrase... and the next... Each time making an adjustment with each phrase.  It's quite the showcase.  -And the high notes are still there too!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2007, 05:16:37 PM »

Back from a great show - indeed, completely sold out, every seat.  Fun audience, they loved the show, and it really couldn't have gone better.  The little cut we made at the end worked brilliantly.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2007, 05:18:16 PM »

Howdy, DR Jose!  I may need your computer expertise this week!

OK - However, tomorrow afternoon/evening is really the only free time I have this week, since I'm heading down to DC (finally) Tuesday-Thursday for the big "sort and trash".  And once I get back, I'm playing tour guide to a friend of mine who's coming up from Florida.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2007, 05:18:56 PM »

bk - Glad to hear the shows went well and were such a success.  Onward and upward.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »

I'm watching Grease Academy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »

Ah - yet more familiar faces at "Grease Academy"... Including one of DR TCB's "favorites", my friend/guy I got this apartment from, Nick.  -Alas, he hasn't been featured so far.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2007, 05:21:42 PM »

OOHHH!!!  Who's the pianist playing for the lessons?!??!?!?

I know the face... And I just can't get his name off the tip of my tongue...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2007, 05:22:48 PM »

SORT OF SPOILER....

Very interested that the songs being featured are the ones from the movie not the original stage version.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »

SORT OF SPOILER (PART 2)....

And do they all have to sing the songs in the same key?  -Since it was free-for-all keys during the initial auditions - with no piano.  
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2007, 05:25:06 PM »

The summer before I went away to college I worked as a receptionist in a pediatrician's office.  In the waiting room there was a huge aquarium, which I hated helping Penny, the doctor's assistant, clean.  As my going-away present, Penny gave me a fully-outfitted fishbowl with some of those fake fish, the kind suspended on fishing line and weighted.  I left it behind in my bedroom at home and my grandmother came for a prolonged visit.  One night when my parents got home from work, Grandma told them that she thought my fish had died and how were they going to break it to me.  Mom and Dad kept Grandma going for a couple of days before fessing up that the fish were fake.

:DGood answer! (this one can also count for your favorite fish story)...

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2007, 05:27:50 PM »

SPOILER

Did you find it interesting that Austin Miller's experience in the Hairspray tour was detailed but for Juliana they just said she was an office temp and she said she felt intimidated by all the good voices in the room?

Miss Karen

« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »

A big Whoop, Yahoo, and Yi-pee-ki-yay!! (and Way to Go!) on the sell-out, Global Moderator. Those are always most exciting...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »

It's snowing in Rehoboth Beach, DE!!!

:D  :D   :D   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Flurry
              flurry
                                                              flurry
  flurry                                                                   flurry
                              flurr
                                                                                         flurry
                                            flurry
                                                                  flurry
          flurry!!![/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »

Kind of Spoiler

Which one is Nick?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2007, 05:29:27 PM »

And I'm making Beouf Bourgonionne (or whoever the frag it's spelled!!)

It's in the oven for a long simmer.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »

OK - However, tomorrow afternoon/evening is really the only free time I have this week, since I'm heading down to DC (finally) Tuesday-Thursday for the big "sort and trash".  And once I get back, I'm playing tour guide to a friend of mine who's coming up from Florida.

Tomorrow's out.  Poo!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2007, 05:36:56 PM »

I'm watching Grease Academy.

I'm watching it and wishing I was drunk.  They're singing songs from the film.  will this be another half-assed "let'sreplace the score with the movie" abortion?  It's all so pretentious with the ever charmless Ms Marshall looking soooo serious and the thudding chords and slow motion exits.  It's an audtion, not a fucking execution!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2007, 05:37:17 PM »

I was asked to stay on a couple of extra hours at work today.  And I'm tired, and achy.

I'll have to catch up some other time.  Between getting dinner on the table, and just surviving the day, I'm just not up to anything right now.

Laters (Blame the reference on Jose.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »

Which raises a few questions for all the Dear Readers -

Do you smoke?

Have you quit?

What do you think of smoking being banned?

I smoke one cigarette a year.  If that.  It's just something I do, and I usually do it to "shock" someone (who knows I don't smoke).  -And I don't inhale.

I appreciate the smoking ban, however, I wish the law about not smoking within a certain amount of feet of a building's doorway would be enforced.  Some of the office buildings here in NYC actually have markers and signs telling people not to smoke "here".  But there's always people smoking "here".

In Virginia, smoking is still allowed inside more buildings , and, frankly, with the strength of the tobacco lobby, I seriously doubt it will ever get banned in VA.  -Although, some localities have their own bans in certain public spaces.  However, I appreciate the trend that some restauranteurs are starting to ban cigar and cigarette smoking in their dining rooms.  A side of smoke is never a good thing.  And I'm totally baffled by people I see with a forkful of food in one hand, and a cigarette in the other.  YUCK!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2007, 05:41:53 PM »

DR Cillaliz - The one with the nice arms.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2007, 05:43:42 PM »

Not to speak for my mother as well, but she and I share the same favorite Seuss book:

Horton Hatches the Egg.

Oh, you can speak for me anytime, my child -- as long as you say what you mean, and mean what you say -- and keep your word 100%!   If only all we earthlings could follow Horton's set of ethics....well, come to think of it, I guess that would be boring -- gotta have the drama, that constant struggle of good vs. bad -- oh yeahhh!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up