Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: TO COIN A PHRASE  (Read 79037 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:TO COIN A PHRASE
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2007, 01:16:40 PM »

I had a lot of scores by Alfred Newman on my "short" list, but I omitted, egregiously, a couple of scores by his nephew, Randy, and his son, Thomas:

The Natural -- Randy Newman

Meet Joe Black -- Thomas Newman
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2007, 01:17:46 PM »

[size=8]8's[/size]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2007, 01:18:26 PM »

Lunch today:

Meatball soup
Blackened catfish
Herbed rice
Steamed veggies

Iced tea

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2007, 01:20:08 PM »

Re: last night's HEROES.

Btw, is "are you on the list" the new "save the cheerleader, save the world"??

Ummmm....yah-hah!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »

I was surprised to see that the Prince song which won the Golden Globe wasn't nominated for a Best Song Oscar. The score for HAPPY FEET has gotten a lot of positive comment, so I was surprised none of its songs made the cut.

I was thrilled that "Our Town" from CARS was nominated. By far my favorite song of the year from a film that I've seen.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2007, 01:41:29 PM »

Yep, I can't believe I left these off my score list:

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

INSIDE DAISY CLOVER

MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2007, 01:42:25 PM »

I love both of the songs from INSIDE DAISY CLOVER:

"You're Gonna Hear from Me," the greatest song not nominated for an Oscar

"The Circus Is a Wacky World"

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:27 PM »

I watched a good many programs this afternoon.

I began with last night's OLD CHRISTINE. It was a funny show about celebrating her ex-husband Richard's birthday, and there were some poignant moments as well as funny ones.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »

Next was CSI: MIAMI. The plot involving Erik's involvement with a husband-wife squabble was very interesting and surprising. That really held my interest.

The land mine murder was less interesting, especially since the murderer couldn't possibly have known the victim's intended path up the beach, and setting four land mines still made the odds very absurd that he would have hit the right spot and gotten blown up.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »

Watched last night's STUDIO 60. They are starting to stress the romantic involvements as opposed to the creation of the sketch comedy show each week. It should work out better for the show since Sorkin isn't exactly a comedy genius, but I'm not sure people are going to come back to the show now after having half a season to get out of the habit of watching.

Matt H.

« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »

I finished the afternoon watching X-MEN: THE LAST STAND on Blu-ray disc. It's an outstanding high definition transfer, and the sound (DTS-ES) rocked the house to its foundations.

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »

I had forgotten to mention that at some point over the weekend I recorded off TCM THE NIGHT OF THE DEMON/CURSE OF THE DEMON. I started watching it last night for just a bit, and I'll continue with it when I go back down later.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »

I love both of the songs from INSIDE DAISY CLOVER:

"You're Gonna Hear from Me," the greatest song not nominated for an Oscar

"The Circus Is a Wacky World"

I, too, love this score and the songs.

But for me, the greatest non-Oscar-nominated song is "Our Love Affair" from "An Affair to Remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2007, 02:01:25 PM »

Thanks for the info on the movies Adrianna.

My main hope is that the movies I see will not have a lot of graphic gore and violence...The Departed has a nice cast...but it sure is a looooooooong movie.

Tomovoz

« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:24 PM »

Agree with you (shock) about the Acting nominations For "Dreamgirls" Ron.  Good performances indeed.

My over reaction for the day..  My cell phone won't work, the hot water system is in trouble and My IP went "down".  AND three ordinary songs were nominated.  Of course last year's three nominated songs were less than ordinary!!  Even the song from "TransAmerica" was ordinary IMHO.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #225 on: January 23, 2007, 02:06:14 PM »

For what my opinion's worth (and I'll beat all of you jokesters to the punch -- it ain't worth much), I really appreciate Jon Brion's score for Magnolia.  Say what you will about the film, I love it, and I certainly have to include the score in the reasons why.

Great film and great score.  "Crash" was a very poor "Magnolia".  You are not alone DR Cason.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2007, 02:07:06 PM »

Agree with you (shock) about the Acting nominations For "Dreamgirls" Ron.  Good performances indeed.

My over reaction for the day..  My cell phone won't work, the hot water system is in trouble and My IP went "down".  AND three ordinary songs were nominated.  Of course last year's three nominated songs were less than ordinary!!  Even the song from "TransAmerica" was ordinary IMHO.

Oh, Tommy.  I've totally given up on the Best Scong category.

I'm totally in shock, however, that three songs -- much less the expected nod for "Listen" -- came from "DreamGirls.

I find them all drab/dreary beyond measure.

Tomovoz

« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »

I hope all the Song fans out there have their copy of "Hollywood Sings".  (Susan Sackett)  It's a great reference book - well overdue for an update.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »

I'm really excited about next month's release of the Alice Faye DVD box from Fox.

And then, in March, we get another classics box that includes BOTH versions of "The Prisoner of Zenda" -- the masterpiece with Ronald Colman, Madeleine Carroll and Douglas Fairbanks -- and the MGM "remake" with Stewart Granger, Deborah Kerr and James Mason (who is reason ALONE to watch this version).  Both films feature the EXACT same score by Alfred Newman, although the MGM version is in stereo, arranged/conducted by Conrad Salinger.

The original is DEFINITELY the best.

Tomovoz

« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2007, 02:11:45 PM »

Too true Ron.  To think I was annoyed when "Say You Say Me" got the nod years ago.  Seems like a classic in comparison.

Where has the "craft" in movie songs gone?
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #230 on: January 23, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »

I have nothing to say about movie music or about Oscar nominees.

I will say, however, that I like to hum "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down," because DR Sandra gets the tune stuck in her head and drives her crazy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »

And now for something completely different...has anyone heard (or heard of) the musical The View From Here[/u]?  It's a one-man show.  I got the "Premiere Cast Recording" yesterday along with the new special edition release of the Dreamgirls OBC.  It was a total impulse purchase...I didn't even listen to the preview clips. ::)

Anyway, I've been wanting to listen to it, but I haven't had time today, yet.  I should get started before I go to rehearsal at 7:00 for Juno and the Paycock, but I was just curious if anyone knew anything about it. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2007, 02:19:54 PM »

Oh, Tommy.  I've totally given up on the Best Scong category.

I'm totally in shock, however, that three songs -- much less the expected nod for "Listen" -- came from "DreamGirls.

I find them all drab/dreary beyond measure.

They absolutely do not feel like they're part of the same score. :P And the lyrics with the accents on the wrong syllables??  Lyricists and composers with any skill or talent would never allow that.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #233 on: January 23, 2007, 02:20:09 PM »

...and hoping that we get to see full performances of the musical numbers by the actual castmembers and not some god awful medley sung by the popstar flavor of the month..

How about Clay Aiken in black-face drag?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #234 on: January 23, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »

Tuesday afternoon greetings!  My workday started with an offsite appointment, continued with a luncheon/meeting at another site, and then I left early.  DH Richard and I have tickets to hear the Miami University Men's Glee Club and Cantus in concert together this evening and I wanted to get home in time to go out to dinner beforehand.

TOD - not much to contribute, except to day that I like the soundtrack to Chocolat.  And all the mentions of Inside Daisy Clover and "You're Gonna Hear From Me" have made me want to see that (one of my all-time favorite movies) again.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

Thanks for the info on the movies Adrianna.

My main hope is that the movies I see will not have a lot of graphic gore and violence...The Departed has a nice cast...but it sure is a looooooooong movie.

Both the Departed and Pan's Labyrinth have a lot of gore. The Departed is tolerable, but the sound effects for Pan make it really more gross than it is, and make one jump 4 feet out of one's seat!

Here is a fun fact I discovered all by me self!

The actual title of Pan's Labyrinth is " The Labyrinth of the Faun", and the faun never mentions his name so how the translators got Pan I don't know. He is not even portrayed as the typical Greek faun, where "pan" pipes originated from. Silly translators....
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2007, 02:27:18 PM »

I'm all showered and refreshed and life is good.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »

And all the mentions of Inside Daisy Clover and "You're Gonna Hear From Me" have made me want to see that (one of my all-time favorite movies) again.

Me, too! Natalie Wood was so good at having nervous breakdowns because of boys...Daisy Clover in the recording booth looping the circus song, and of course, "Splendor in the Grass". "I'm not spoiled, Mom!" Wonder if "Daisy Clover" will be released on DVD?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2007, 02:34:40 PM »

:-*(the closest icon I could find for "kiss my *" ...just kidding ;)

Feel free to borrow this:

der Brucer

Or if you're in the mood:

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »

Good news AND bad news in Hollywood this morning, I guess.

Did ANYONE see Venus?

I saw a preview for it on Saturday, does that count?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up