Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: TO COIN A PHRASE  (Read 78624 times)

Tomovoz

Re:TO COIN A PHRASE
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »

I, too, love this score and the songs.

But for me, the greatest non-Oscar-nominated song is "Our Love Affair" from "An Affair to Remember."
Did you mean non Oscar winning?
It was nominated and lost out to "All the Way".. I liked all the song nominees that year.  "April Love", "Tammy" and "Wild is the Wind" were the others
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2007, 02:37:58 PM »

Even though it's not tomorrow (Wednesday is Ask Day) here's a question for BK & JR.

IIRC (if I recall correctly), you both purchased the USB powered turntable which plugs into a computer and allows you to burn vinyl records to your hard drive and then burn them to a CD. There is an article in the NY Sunday times about that machine and another model. A friend is thinking of purchasing one of the models. What is your opinion of the machine? He said it comes dis-assembled and that you need to attach the tone arm and also make sure that it's weighted properly so it doesn't push too firmly on the records. He is not techically inclined at all and he's worried about that part of the procedure. How easy was it to set up? How do  you like the recording software included with the turntable? Would you recommend he purchase this item?

Ben, I didn't get the USB turntable, but I do have a device that has cables from the stereo that go into a little silver box and then plug into the computer with USB so you can play records or cassettes and turn them into CDs. I'll look and see what it is when I get home. I got it at Best Buy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »

Me, too! Natalie Wood was so good at having nervous breakdowns because of boys...Daisy Clover in the recording booth looping the circus song, and of course, "Splendor in the Grass". "I'm not spoiled, Mom!" Wonder if "Daisy Clover" will be released on DVD?

If I'm not mistaken, it's coming this year. I believe there's going to be a Natalie Wood boxed set that DAISY will be a part of. I'm assuming PENELOPE, SEX & THE SINGLE GIRL, and ALL THE FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS will be a part of it. Or maybe MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR.

I have DIASY on laserdisc and have watched it a couple of times during the past year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:37 PM »

Speaking of Hannibal Lecter, I did see Michael Mann's MANHUNTER and liked it very much. Saw no reason for them to redo it, even with its original title RED DRAGON.

Cillaliz

« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »

Although for some odd reason I liked the sequel!

There's another one coming. I saw an ad for it...no trailer...on Saturday...I told you the ads and trailers went on for 25 minutes

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2007, 02:44:48 PM »

My over reaction for the day..  My cell phone won't work, the hot water system is in trouble and My IP went "down".  AND three ordinary songs were nominated.  Of course last year's three nominated songs were less than ordinary!!  Even the song from "TransAmerica" was ordinary IMHO.

In truth, a testament to the fact that God has left the building continent.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2007, 02:44:52 PM »

Heading down now to clean the living room, read a bit more of HARRY POTTER/PHOENIX. and then back to TV. There is enough on tonight (excluding the President) to get me through the evening with all new programming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #247 on: January 23, 2007, 02:49:53 PM »

For what my opinion's worth (and I'll beat all of you jokesters to the punch -- it ain't worth much), I really appreciate Jon Brion's score for Magnolia.  Say what you will about the film, I love it, and I certainly have to include the score in the reasons why.

Sorry Cason, but when it started raining frogs all I could do was laugh.  I'm glad you liked it, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #248 on: January 23, 2007, 02:52:14 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back from a lovely lunch with DR elmore.  And I also helped him out with a computer issue.  So, if you start wondering why he's not spending as much time here in HHW as he usually does, you can blame me.  For real.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #249 on: January 23, 2007, 02:56:39 PM »

And after lunch, I headed down to midtown to check on some theatre tickets.  -With various discount vouchers in hand.  I have a friend coming up this weekend, and Steve is coming up next week, so just seeing what I could snag.  Well - and I sort of had an inkling of this from the recent grosses - business seems to be pretty good right now - and this is usually the doldrums period.  However, I got a pair of decent seats for me and my friend, Paul, for this Friday, and I browsed seats for next week.  *And I found out in the process that the discount offer for The Apple Tree[/] that Playbill.com is currently offering is not correct on their website.  Ah, well..
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »

Today’s topic of discussion:  what are your all-time favorite motion picture scores, and your all-time favorite motion picture songs?

Scores:
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
GONE WITH THE WIND
SPARTACUS
CLEOPATRA
THE PINK PANTHER
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
CHARADE

Songs (too, too many to name):
Moon River
Feed the Birds
Crazy World
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Hushabye Mountain
One More Hour (Theme from "Ragtime")
Pure Imagination
Dear Heart
Two for the Road
Laura
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »

And I swear the temp outside has dropped at least 10 if not 15 degrees in just the past four hours.  At least it felt that way while I was walking around Times Square.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2007, 03:00:58 PM »

Well, in catching up on last nights posts and today's posts, I have successfully used up the rest of the workday.  Time to go home.  It's been a long week, lol...it's only Tuesday, right?

td

• td
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2007, 03:01:45 PM »

The best NON-Oscar nominated song: Kander and Ebb's "Theme from 'NEW YORK, NEW YORK'". . .just MHO. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »

That's Mercy Humppe.

A mercy hump is something totally different.

That's also a musical, ain't it?

Jennifer

« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2007, 03:03:53 PM »

DR RonP, if you call that HEROES number and press #3 it gives you a code to enter on the site.  The code is mt36.

You enter it on the primatech site.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2007, 03:05:21 PM »

Speaking of Hannibal Lecter, I did see Michael Mann's MANHUNTER and liked it very much. Saw no reason for them to redo it, even with its original title RED DRAGON.

I saw MANHUNTER before SOTL was released.  I liked it, too.

DR Jose came over and helped me with my computer.  He's quite a patient friend, and it was appreciated.  Then we had lunch at the restaurant Good Enough To Eat.  I had salad and wonderful mac & cheese, Jose had  the meatloaf sandwich and potato salad.  It was a love diversion.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:29 PM »

"Magnolia" is littered with references to "Exodus". 8:2 is particularly significant - the prologue has 3 references.  It is certainly a film with considerable depth.  a great film for discussion purposes.

I had more difficulty with a few of the scenes in "Mulholland Drive" - a film which I think is great also.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2007, 03:21:29 PM »

And now for something completely different...has anyone heard (or heard of) the musical The View From Here[/u]?  It's a one-man show.  I got the "Premiere Cast Recording" yesterday along with the new special edition release of the Dreamgirls OBC.  It was a total impulse purchase...I didn't even listen to the preview clips. ::)

Anyway, I've been wanting to listen to it, but I haven't had time today, yet.  I should get started before I go to rehearsal at 7:00 for Juno and the Paycock, but I was just curious if anyone knew anything about it. :)

DR George - I actually almost played the run of the show when it was at NYMF two years ago.  They had lost their MD/piano player, and I got the call.  However, I wasn't able to take the gig due to scheduling.

The website at the time, had almost all of the song demos on it, so I downloaded them.  It's a good listen.  Sort of like pop-Sondheim with a touch of Jason Robert Brown to my ears.
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2007, 03:23:04 PM »

I like HIGH TIME, Don Sebeskey's music for THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR, a movie called MALAMONDO which I have never seen but have the Morricone soundtrack for, GONE WITH THE WIND, Curtis Mayfield's SUPERFLY.

"Sweetheart Tree"
"Mama, Don't Wait Up For Me" (from The People Next Door)
"More"
"Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte"
"A Time For Us" (I actually prefer the version the minstrel performs at the party in Romeo & Juliet)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »

Now I'm just waiting for the heating system to start back up again to see if my radiator actually got fixed this afternoon...  Think I'll go wash some dishes in the meantime...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »

We've finished The Brain booklet - looks faboo - must proof one more time, just in case, but I should be able to get it to the printers tomorrow.  Still haven't received the CD to proof.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »

I have been expecting a priority package.  It was shipped last Tuesday.  Every day I ask, every day it's not there.  I finally went online and entered the delivery confirmation number - delivered and signed for last Thursday.  My mail place has no clew where it is and thinks that the post office (they go every day to get their mail and packages for our PO boxes) may not have given it to them.  My point is SOMEONE signed for it so how can that be.  The post office isn't going to sign for it, since it wasn't delivered to THEM - it has an address on it.

They're going to the post office with the tracking number tomorrow to see if it's there.  However, four weeks ago, this same thing happened - every day I asked, every day it wasn't there.  Then, a slip showed up in my mail box for a package.  When I looked at the package, guess what - it had, in fact, been delivered a week before and had just sat there like so much fish.  They swear this time that's not the case, and I simply don't believe them.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2007, 03:35:39 PM »

And the word of the day is: SUPINE!
More correctly, the S. U. Pine, which is shorthand for the Southern Urgustanian Pine, which hails from Southern Urgustan (well, duh).  Unlike most pine trees, which grow straight up from the ground, the S. U. Pine grows to a height of three feet, and then abruptly bends over so that the rest of the tree lgrows parallel to the ground.  Since the direction that the rest of the tree grows is random, as in north/south/east/west/whatever, this makes for a forest of S. U. Pines highly difficult to manuver through.  That, and birds have trouble building nests in the branches - what with everything turned at a ninety-degree angle, gravity makes their eggs fall out.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #264 on: January 23, 2007, 03:48:53 PM »

Sorry Cason, but when it started raining frogs all I could do was laugh.  I'm glad you liked it, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

A friend of mine did the sound design...he went out into the desert with a lot of chicken carcasses, dropping them from a crane onto cars, etc. I always thought he was robbed---not even nominated for an Oscar for this movie. (He won a few years later for Master and Commander.)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2007, 03:59:43 PM »

I just read that "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" is being restaged in LA with Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin, Feb. 6-Mar. 18. It's difficult for me not to buy a ticket and fly out for that. Dang!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2007, 04:08:26 PM »

Did you mean non Oscar winning?
It was nominated and lost out to "All the Way".. I liked all the song nominees that year.  "April Love", "Tammy" and "Wild is the Wind" were the others

D'OH!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »

I just read that "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" is being restaged in LA with Kathleen Turner and Bill Irwin, Feb. 6-Mar. 18. It's difficult for me not to buy a ticket and fly out for that. Dang!

Well, it's up in DC right now at the Kennedy Center, so...  Delta Shuttle...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »

Raining frogs??

MBarnum

« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »

A love diversion???
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up