Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LINK SAUSAGES  (Read 69121 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LINK SAUSAGES
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2007, 08:55:17 AM »

Oatmeal isn't just oatmeal anymore - not in any of these stupidly trendy jernts in LA - now it's steel oatmeal or iron oatmeat or wrought iron oatmeal or something like that - does anyone know what I'm talking about?  I've now seen it in about six restaurants here.  Just give me a bowl of oatmeal and leave the trendy to others.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2007, 08:55:54 AM »

And one for oatmeal.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2007, 08:57:41 AM »

Last night things first.

American Idol -- what a crappy two hours.  For me, it was a new "low" in a show noted for low moments.  That Jewish cowgirl who could not sing and wanted to be the first Idol who never sang -- NOBODY needed to see or hear or experience that.  It wasn't entertaining.  It wasn't shocking.  It was -- as Fox is wont to be more often than not -- PATHETIC television.

And all the arguing....that girl who had been to Hollywood twice before...and couldn't believe they wouldn't let her go back.  Her singing, for all she said she had worked on it, was terribly affected.  Nothing natural or pure...all of it forced.

I felt really bad for the boy who went in (the Simon/Boy George look-alike) who is a "high singer".  He set himself up for failure by choosing to perform one of Kelly Clarkson's over-the-top "shriek" songs.  He pulled it off shriekingly well....but ho and hum.  

Too much time spent on the gratuitous (paid, and encouraged to act out) no-loads that walked through the audition door.  Again.

Sigh.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Miss Karen

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2007, 08:59:32 AM »

And one for oatmeal.

with brown sugar and lots of butter

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2007, 09:00:40 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I've gotten in the habit of getting cheap sponges, using them for awhile then throwing them out and getting new ones. This would be a money saver

Also good to know is that you can de-germify toothbrushes this way, too.  Put your toothbrush on a paper towel and nuke it for a minute.  Kills the germs pronto.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2007, 09:03:08 AM »

Unlike L.A., Oakland is gray...today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2007, 09:03:53 AM »

A layer of fog embraces the city around me, wafting about aimlessly, as if unaware the sun will burn through revealing the blue.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2007, 09:07:03 AM »

Last night's "Medium":

SPOILER

I don't know what the writers are up to, but clearly they aren't thinking much about what the show's strengths are.

The family dynamic with the diorama was great.   But the story....as revealed piece-by-piece in the dreams...was "just a story."  Nothing revelatory.  Nothing that develops tensions, nothing that encourages the little grey cells to do anything other than experience the laying out of the story.  

No audience participation necessary.

Glenn Gordon Caron needs to fire his writers and get some fresh blood.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:09:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2007, 09:14:27 AM »

Oatmeal isn't just oatmeal anymore - not in any of these stupidly trendy jernts in LA - now it's steel oatmeal or iron oatmeat or wrought iron oatmeal or something like that - does anyone know what I'm talking about?  I've now seen it in about six restaurants here.  Just give me a bowl of oatmeal and leave the trendy to others.

steel-cut oats = Irish oats = Scotch oats = pinhead oats = coarse-cut oats = steel-cut oatmeal = Irish oatmeal = Scotch oatmeal = pinhead oatmeal = coarse-cut oatmeal = porridge oats = porridge oatmeal     Notes:   These are groats that have been chopped into small pieces.  They're chewier than rolled oats, and grain aficionados often prefer them for hot oatmeal cereals and muesli.   Substitutes:  rolled oats (less chewy, takes less time to cook) OR whole oat groats (takes much longer to cook)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »

So, Bruce.....be careful when you're "feeling your oats," because you don't know what kind of steel shavings might be lurking about.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:16:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2007, 09:27:02 AM »

steel-cut oats = Irish oats = Scotch oats = pinhead oats = coarse-cut oats = steel-cut oatmeal = Irish oatmeal = Scotch oatmeal = pinhead oatmeal = coarse-cut oatmeal = porridge oats = porridge oatmeal    

I edited an episode for "Good Eats" about oatmeal. The steel cut oats are the ones you want to get the whole benefit of oatmeal. The more processed it is, the less beneficial. So instant oatmeal is convenient but not that helpful...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2007, 09:29:26 AM »

Teaser:  For those of you predisposed to counting sheep at night when trying to fall asleep, you probably didn't know that 8% of those sheep are apt to be gay!

Do Manboys Dream of Eclectic Sheep?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:30:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2007, 09:31:15 AM »

(Please pardon the play on the Philip K. Dick novella title "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" -- and anyone who feels dissed by the term "manboys" or anyone who feels excluded by the gender reference).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »

(and also please pardon anything else I have written or may in the future write that you or those you love may find offensive -- purely unintentional).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2007, 09:32:51 AM »

All I'm saying is that only in the last few months have we seen the words "steel-cut" regarding oatmeal, at least here in LA.  Whether home made, steel-cut, rolled, flattened, kicked, or beaten, it was always just oatmeal.  It's like everything else here - all these trendy little words and things added to what used to be simple dishes.  There was something else I noticed - something called aioli - I'm telling you, I never heard the word aioli until last year and now it's on every menu everywhere.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:07 AM »

(Unless, of course, I make it clear I meant it).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:20 AM »

(In case of which, tough noogies).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2007, 09:34:07 AM »

I cannot describe how blazingly blue the sky is.  Well, I guess I can since I just did.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2007, 09:35:56 AM »

All I'm saying is that only in the last few months have we seen the words "steel-cut" regarding oatmeal, at least here in LA.  Whether home made, steel-cut, rolled, flattened, kicked, or beaten, it was always just oatmeal.  It's like everything else here - all these trendy little words and things added to what used to be simple dishes.  There was something else I noticed - something called aioli - I'm telling you, I never heard the word aioli until last year and now it's on every menu everywhere.

I know what you mean.  I went through a period in the late 1980s when all anyone could do (in NATO) was pepper the conversations with the term "geopolitical"...as if it added depth or immeasurable weight to what was obvious to everyone without the word ever being uttered.

And thus it is with the "trendy" "trendsetters" who have to adopt a word and beat it into the ground as if it were some badge of honor.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2007, 09:37:47 AM »

And does anyone here remember "arugula" being so oft-mentioned as a fundamental element in salads and cooking BEFORE "Into the Woods"?

I mean...seriously....

:P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:39:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2007, 09:43:32 AM »

Yes, the oh, so with it catchphrases are so annoying on every level.  I do love "day one" or "day five"  - it's been around a long time, but I just cringe every time I hear it - I lampoon it whenever and wherever I can.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2007, 09:43:57 AM »

Weapons Of Mass Destruction - another of my most loathed phrases.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »

What's next?  Iron-cut ham?  Steel-girded pancakes?  Eggs Aioli?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2007, 09:51:56 AM »

So, I also got the CD rough of The Creature Wasn't Nice - this time with the songs inserted, and the score with the correct track titles, and a couple of tracks edited the way they were in the film.  I'd sent him some stuff I found and that was included at the end of the CD.  I sent him what I thought was a tape with my alternate vocal on I Want To Eat Your Face (I recorded it two ways - the Sinatra version that's in the film, and a character voice).  Well, what the tape I sent him was, in fact, was a demo tape I have no memory of even doing.  I must have done it, since I'm singing on it, but the gal who's singing Cindy's songs isn't Cindy and I don't recognize her voice.  I do do the two voices on I Want To Eat Your Face, so we at least have that.  

The songs as heard in the film (which I sent him separately and which he integrated into the CD where they belong) sound awful - not sure why.  I transfered them from the Bruce Kimmel CD into iTunes and burned him a copy.  I did notice they went in as MPEG audio, which has been happening recently - I changed my preferences to apple loss less, which is basically the CD audio quality of what you're importing - I don't know how the setting got changed to MPEG - I never had it there before.  So, maybe that was the problem.

I'm sending him a tape I found of the songs and hopefully that will be better, and I'm hoping that the alternate vocal may even be on there.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2007, 09:56:19 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Just taking a break from the boxes for some lunch and "my stories".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »

RE: Steel-cut oats - Well, they've been around for a while, and I've been eating them for at least 20 years, so...

And you've probably had them at restaurants before, and didn't know it - and they probably weren't labeled that way on the menu.  Some food-service companies send out steel-cut oats for the oatmeal.  Due to their more "toothsome" texture, they can sit in a warming tray/bain-marie for long periods of time without getting so glue-y.  And after they've sat for a while, they basically cook down to the texture of "regular" oatmeal.

So, don't view steel-cut as a four-letter culinary word.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2007, 10:02:21 AM »

And "Eggs Aioli" actually sounds pretty good.  It would be like an Italian version of Eggs Benedict, with the aioli in place of the hollandaise sauce.  -Although, I have had "eggs persillade - with a mixture of chopped parslet and garlic.  And a persillade is a great accompaniment to potatoes, beef and lamb.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2007, 10:03:13 AM »

I have seen "root vegetables" on menus. I believe that means carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, and turnips.

But I don't suppose anyone would order "carrots, potatoes, rutabagas, and turnips."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »

I am killing time until I take DS to the doctor for treatments of a sinus infection.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2007, 10:05:34 AM »

And back to oatmeal for a second...

I don't think I've ever seen "rolled oat oatmeal" on a menu?  Have you?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up