Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LINK SAUSAGES  (Read 69158 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:LINK SAUSAGES
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2007, 12:37:13 PM »

I never heard of steel oats before, but I know the phenomenon of which you speak, BK. Whether the term existed for centuries or not, it was never a big deal in the world of oatmeal eating. But somehow it become seized upon by marketing types and the term gains a certain cachet until everything without the term is somehow deemed inferior.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2007, 12:38:59 PM »

There's a phrase everyone uses these days which I swear was not used much 10 years ago, now people say it relentlessly about anything at all. That phrase is: "It is what it is."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

There's a phrase everyone uses these days which I swear was not used much 10 years ago, now people say it relentlessly about anything at all. That phrase is: "It is what it is."

"Spin" irks me to death.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2007, 12:49:09 PM »

"Put a spin on it!"

(Hey, buddy!  Put a spin on THIS!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2007, 12:53:25 PM »

While on my last tour in the Navy, I was on USS Kitty Hawk and we had a visitor fly to the ship to assist us in setting up media arrangements for our time in the Persian Gulf.

A list of "demands" was presented to my boss as to what we would be responsible for doing on a daily basis.  My boss never said he wouldn't try to do any of them but expressed concerns about how he would accomplish everything with his 5-man shop.

The visitor said, "You can either help drive, or you can be driven."

My boss looked at him and said, "Is that the new 'phrase'?"

"Yes, and it's very effective," the visitor confirmed.

"Well, on this ship, you'll find there's only one driver.  I ain't it and you ain't it.  And if you try to drive, you're likely get seriously rear-ended."

That was the last we heard of "drive or be driven"...except when my boss wanted to unwind and have a good laugh.

The visitor turned out to be a pretty nice guy, after he saw how effectively my boss and I managed our resources and got things done.  My favorite memory of him, though, is that he left his stateroom -- in only a towel and with a little toiletry kit -- to take a shower in the officer's head near his room.

He came to our office, wet hair and feet and a damp towel wrapped around him -- he had left his key in his room.  We had about six international journalists in the office -- and the office was small -- so we all had a nice chuckle, including him.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 12:59:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »

I haven't read any of the posts today yet to see if anyone has commented on last night's AMERICAN IDOL.

But I was curious if any of the featured singers had an impact on anybody here.

I think the most touching moment for me was the 19 yr old girl whose father did not know she was auditioning. She had told him she was with a friend.

I also liked the story of the best friends. Not sure how much i like either one. But it was cute.

One interesting thing i found out is that there are spoiler sites that can tell you if your favorites have made it to the top 40. I never really realized they did spoilers for AI. I didn't really read it, although i did happen to read the fates of the indian brother and sister from a couple of weeks ago.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »

I haven't read any of the posts today yet to see if anyone has commented on last night's AMERICAN IDOL.

But I was curious if any of the featured singers had an impact on anybody here.

I think the most touching moment for me was the 19 yr old girl whose father did not know she was auditioning. She had told him she was with a friend.

I also liked the story of the best friends. Not sure how much i like either one. But it was cute.

One interesting thing i found out is that there are spoiler sites that can tell you if your favorites have made it to the top 40. I never really realized they did spoilers for AI. I didn't really read it, although i did happen to read the fates of the indian brother and sister from a couple of weeks ago.

The "fates"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »

Just like with Survivor, DR Jennifer, there are sites that tell you what's going to happen up to some point.

I've seen a couple of AI sites that purport to name a few of the folks who make it beyond the final 40.

Nothing definitive has come to my attention...and it's all being reported as second-hand information...based on somebody heard this from somebody who knows somebody.

I'm not invested in anyone.  Particularly from last night.

I still have hopes for Sundance and Melinda, but I won't be hearbroken if they don't make the final 12.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02:53 PM »

I keep hoping that, after the final 12 are picked, I won't really care about any of them.

That will free up a bunch of recording time for the next three months.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »

It's been a most unusual afternoon (as opposed to a most unusual day - A DATE WITH JUDY reference). Best friend John and I had lunch today, but he had a long list of errands to run, among them a visit to CompUSA which I hadn't been to for six months, so I said I'd tag along on the errands.

I didn't get home until almost 4 p.m., too late to watch ANYTHING this afternoon on TV.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »

I wanted to shake the Simon lookalike by the shoulders. He had a great voice, very high tenor that he could really have shown off with if he had chosen to do "Sherry" or "Big Girls Don't Cry." But looking overly metrosexual with that high voice that he then took into falsetto from the top of his chest voice (and being a song made famous by a GIRL singer, not to mention Kelly Clarkson) was just asking for a pass from Simon. Wasn't surprised at all he got four no votes even though his voice could have been spectacular had he chosen the right song and saved those super high notes to spring on them at a later date.

If he's got a brain in his head, he's at JERSEY BOYS offices right now auditioning for the producers for an understudy job.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: January 25, 2007, 01:20:30 PM »

As I mentioned last night, I was delighted to see the guy who dropped out last year come back and be given another chance to get through to the semifinals.

I will follow the best friends with GREAT interest; there's an interesting story there brewing about the effect of competition on best friends.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »

Back from my mail place and a long talk with the one reasonable gal there - she apologized for the idiocy of yesterday and spoke with that gal strongly.  I also told her that I'd been a customer for over ten years and that it irks me every time I walk in and see the big sign that offers three free months to new customers who sign up for a year.  I have never gotten even a discount when I pay a whole year in advance.  So, she nicely added three months onto my current year, which means instead of re-upping in April I don't have to until July.  That was nice.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:31 PM »

I have not written one bloody word - I just can't find five minutes to sit down and concentrate - I now have to go to the post office to ship out some stuff.  Maybe after that, but so much for a whole day of writing.  Perhaps tomorrow.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #164 on: January 25, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »

Happy Birthday, Sandy!

Thanks! But it's not my birth--

Oh.

Happy birthday Juliana!

And happy birthday to Vixgrandpa!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »

My favorite breakfast is cold leftover pizza and a Cherry Coke. And I can't forget Big Bowl of Stuff: Breakfast Edition. And if by "breakfast," you mean "food eaten in the morning," that includes Strawberries and Salsa, which is really good at 2 or 3 a.m.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »

I've been pretty anti-orange-juice since Halloween of '99 when I drank a bunch of orange juice and then threw it up. There are a couple stories I could tell in connection with this, but you probably don't want me to.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »

Back from my mail place and a long talk with the one reasonable gal there - she apologized for the idiocy of yesterday and spoke with that gal strongly.  I also told her that I'd been a customer for over ten years and that it irks me every time I walk in and see the big sign that offers three free months to new customers who sign up for a year.  I have never gotten even a discount when I pay a whole year in advance.  So, she nicely added three months onto my current year, which means instead of re-upping in April I don't have to until July.  That was nice.

Which proves the old adage:

It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease!

:D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 01:52:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »

I'm also not very fond of apple juice, but the story behind that is even more disgusting than the vomiting-in-public story behind my orange juice aversion.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2007, 01:53:59 PM »

I am my own frenzy. And a strange frenzy it is, too.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2007, 02:08:09 PM »

I wanted to shake the Simon lookalike by the shoulders. He had a great voice, very high tenor that he could really have shown off with if he had chosen to do "Sherry" or "Big Girls Don't Cry." But looking overly metrosexual with that high voice that he then took into falsetto from the top of his chest voice (and being a song made famous by a GIRL singer, not to mention Kelly Clarkson) was just asking for a pass from Simon. Wasn't surprised at all he got four no votes even though his voice could have been spectacular had he chosen the right song and saved those super high notes to spring on them at a later date.

If he's got a brain in his head, he's at JERSEY BOYS offices right now auditioning for the producers for an understudy job.

I don't think he did himself any favors, either.  

And was he wearing just a bit of makeup?

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »

I don't think he did himself any favors, either.  

And was he wearing just a bit of makeup?

In high definition, his skin appeared flawless (hair, eyebrows, teeth did, too, which is why I referred to him as a metrosexual), so I think make-up might certainly have been present.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2007, 02:14:30 PM »

I did get a couple of chapters read in HARRY POTTER. His fifth year at the school has already started out so rocky with a week of detention et al. I'm feeling really bad for him (but he's GOT to get that temper in check.)

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2007, 02:15:42 PM »

And now, I'm heading downstairs to clean the bedroom areas and finally get to settle in and watch a little TV.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »

I've been reading book reviews all afternoon and now it's almost time to go home.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2007, 02:29:51 PM »

Sandra, do you want to go for a ride in the car?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »

Yes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »

Yay, I wrote a couple of paragraphs.  Better, I read what I'd written up till now, and after a few fixes, I enjoyed it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2007, 02:34:32 PM »

I am waiting for a telephonic call.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »

Two pages - that's enough for today, and I'm pleased to be back in the swing of things.

I will say that I have two other ideas that are bursting to get out of my head - short stories, both - I may begin on those, too.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up