Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: LINK SAUSAGES  (Read 69130 times)

td

• td
Re:LINK SAUSAGES
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2007, 03:28:39 PM »

I'm not a breakfast kind of guy.  Give me a cuppa or two and I'm happy.  Once up and about, I'll grab a muffin (bought fresh, then frozen) from Sam's Club, and any muffin will do.  (Though with thoughts of TCB rolling around my brain, any STUD MUFFIN will do).
Lately, our one cook has been doing a big breakfast pie.  He won't call it a "breakfast pizza," but it contains eggs, ranch dressing, cheddar, jack and provolone cheeses, ham, bacon and sausage.  A couple slices are a great breakfast treat.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2007, 03:29:35 PM »

Julieanne Pogue stopped by this morning with a lovely Xmas present - two interesting-looking DVDs from Merry Olde England - one a musical version of a TV show - Acorn something, and one a history of the English music hall - looking forward to seeing both posthaste.

BK, I don't know about the music hall DVD, but the musical must be Acorn Antiques - The Musical.  I just got this last month, myself (but I haven't watched it, yet ::)).

If I rememeber correctly, Tomovoz recommended it. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2007, 03:32:23 PM »

That's it - Acorn Antiques - The Musical, with Julie Walters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »

I shall now shower.  I didn't earlier because I knew I was going to jog.  Then I shall sup and watch a DVD and maybe write another half page tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2007, 03:34:25 PM »

Now, might I ask where in tarnation IS everyone?

So, after all this breakfast talk, should I have a breakfast for dinner?  I wish I could remember where the biscuits and gravy place was, or where they might serve such an item around here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2007, 03:35:18 PM »

Maybe the Cheesecake Factory does - can't remember, though.  The Cheesecake Factory sounds good to me, but I don't want to wait - even if I went at four-thirty there'd probably be a wait.

td

• td
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »

I'm not in tarnation; I'm right here!  (Of course, my other Firefox tabs are perusing myspace).

td

• td
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:48:11 PM by td »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from The Gap...  Which had absolutely no winter clothing on display, nor for sale - well, a couple of ugly sweaters on the Clearance Sale racks.  So, I still have a gift card to use up.  *And I went to three different locations - all within blocks of each other.  *And when did the Gap become "expensive"?  $86.00 for a hooded sweatshirt?!?!?!

So, I went over to Macy's.  Mission accomplished there, and I made sure to check in at the Customer Service desk before making my purchase so that I could get that 11% off voucher they give to out-or-towners.  Note to self: keep your Virginia driver's license in your wallet.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »

DR td - Thanks for the link to that clip.  I had heard about that, and had meant to track it down somewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2007, 04:04:20 PM »

...And when did the Peanut Butter Creme Double-Stuf Oreos come out?

...And why did they have to be on sale at the supermarket?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 25, 2007, 04:08:45 PM »

Is anyone besides me watching IN THE CITY on BBC America tonight?  The British title was HOLLYOAKS IN THE CITY, but they've dropped the first word and the ads feature three 20-something ladies, so they're pushing a SEX IN THE CITY resemblance.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: January 25, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »

bk - Fred 62 in Los Feliz has pretty good biscuits and gravy.

*And I don't think I've ever spotted biscuits and gravy on a Cheesecake Factory menu, although, they might be on their weekend brunch menu.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2007, 04:14:46 PM »

Hmmm... Ian "AI" Bernardo is on "Extra" right now.. And he just "interviewed" fellow reject and non-singer, Sarah... Ugh!

However, he did admit to having collagen injections in his lips before going auditioning for AI, and that his father is humiliated.

Let's hope his 15 minutes come to an end soon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »

Sandra, do you want to go for a ride in the car?

Hmmm...I think I've heard this trick pulled before....
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: January 25, 2007, 04:40:51 PM »

Oatmeal isn't just oatmeal anymore - not in any of these stupidly trendy jernts in LA - now it's steel oatmeal or iron oatmeat or wrought iron oatmeal or something like that - does anyone know what I'm talking about?  I've now seen it in about six restaurants here.  Just give me a bowl of oatmeal and leave the trendy to others.
Not as trendy as you might think, esteemed BK.  Steel cut oats have a different texture than the rolled oats you're probably used to.  Steel cut oats are thicker, for one thing, and require overnight soaking, something the rolled oats don't require (making the rolled oats more "instant").  As a result, the steel cut oats also contain more fiber.  

The process has been around for quite some time.  The only thing "trendy" about steel cut oats is that people are now discovering it as an alternative to the over-processed rolled oats, which was the only product available to most people for a long while.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #196 on: January 25, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »

Lol -- we called it "Family Fun Night," and it was flu shots.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »

I am so proud. My city just spent $15,000 making a model of downtown out of Jell-o. The clear buildings are buildings that don't exist.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 04:47:28 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2007, 04:47:01 PM »

I edited an episode for "Good Eats" about oatmeal. The steel cut oats are the ones you want to get the whole benefit of oatmeal. The more processed it is, the less beneficial. So instant oatmeal is convenient but not that helpful...
Available on DVD from the Food Network.  The DVD is titled Breakfast Eats 2, and contains the episodes Oat Cuisine, Yogurt: Good Milk Gone Bad, and True Brew Mr. Tea.  (The Oat Cuisine episode includes recipes for steel cut oatmeal, overnight oatmeal, granola, and haggis.   :o)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:02:08 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »

I am so proud. My city just spent $15,000 making a model of downtown out of Jell-o. The clear buildings are buildings that don't exist.

There's always room for Scottsdale!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »

Available on DVD from the Food Network.  The DVD is titled Breakfast Eats 2, and containes the episodes Oat Cuisine, Yogurt: Good Milk Gone Bad, and True Brew Mr. Tea.  (The Oat Cuisine episode includes recipes for steel cut oatmeal, overnight oatmeal, granola, and haggis.   :o)

When we were working on it, Alton told me that if you ate nothing but salmon, oatmeal and leafy green vegetables, he thought you could live forever! He also gave me directions for how to smoke salmon in a cardboard box. (A bonus of this apparently was that if you had a dog, it would eat the cardboard afterwards.)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2007, 05:01:41 PM »

All I'm saying is that only in the last few months have we seen the words "steel-cut" regarding oatmeal, at least here in LA.  Whether home made, steel-cut, rolled, flattened, kicked, or beaten, it was always just oatmeal.  It's like everything else here - all these trendy little words and things added to what used to be simple dishes.  There was something else I noticed - something called aioli - I'm telling you, I never heard the word aioli until last year and now it's on every menu everywhere.
This just means that LA is finally catching up with the rest of the world.

Part of this labeling that you're noticing is due to people wanting to know where their food is coming from.  This is a good thing in many ways, because it means they are paying attention to how their food has been processed before it gets to their table.  Knowing how the oatmeal was processed is becoming important to more people that it was before.

It's like seeing something labeled as a "free range chicken."  A chicken is a chicken, right?  Not so fast.  Most of the chickens that we are eating these days have been raised in gigantic barns, in very small pens, where all they do is gorge themselves on grain while waiting to have their necks wrung.  The grain they eat is loaded with chemicals to make them grow faster, chemicals to keep them healthy, chemicals to make their breasts get big and fat.

In comparison, a free range chicken has been raised in a yard or a field, feeding on not just grain, but bugs and other juicy tidbits.  Because they have been given range, they don't need all the chemicals.  The result is a chicken that tastes more like chicken, rather than the cardboardy mush you find in most supermarkets these days.

But beware!  Federal regulations only mandate that the chickens be "given access to the yard."  This means that, in some cases (and more than I care to admit) the birds were kept in those same barns for the first five weeks of their lives ("the better to keep them safe from disease" is the excuse given), and then their pens only have one small door leading to the outside, which the birds usually never discover, and since chickens aren't known for their curiosity never use even when they do find said door.  So some of the birds being labeled as "free range" have, in fact, never ranged at all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2007, 05:06:15 PM »

When we were working on it, Alton told me that if you ate nothing but salmon, oatmeal and leafy green vegetables, he thought you could live forever! He also gave me directions for how to smoke salmon in a cardboard box. (A bonus of this apparently was that if you had a dog, it would eat the cardboard afterwards.)
The episode with the cardboard box smoker was one of the first to be released on DVD - Hooked and Cooked.  Episodes included are Where There's Smoke There's Fish, Tuna: The Other Red Meat, and Hook, Line and Dinner.

Fletcher, the Dalmatian, would probably eat the cardboard.  Lots of fiber in his diet.  But he's still fat.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:09:37 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2007, 05:08:20 PM »

Oh, the eggs from free-range chickens (the real ones, not the ones the feds are letting slip through) taste more like real eggs than the eggs you more generally find in the supermarket.  For the same reasons.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2007, 05:12:17 PM »

And does anyone here remember "arugula" being so oft-mentioned as a fundamental element in salads and cooking BEFORE "Into the Woods"?

I mean...seriously....

:P
Arugula, a.k.a. Rocket.  Sure.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2007, 05:16:55 PM »

What's next?  Iron-cut ham?  Steel-girded pancakes?  Eggs Aioli?  
Aioli is a garlicky mayonnaise.  Mayo is made from eggs and oil.  Eggs Aioli would be like gilding the lily with more lily...

Wait a sec.  Garlic is a member of the lily family.  So maybe it really WOULD be like gilding the lily with more lily!

The real question would be, eggs cooked how, exactly, and then served with an aioli.  It could be quite tasty!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »

All I'm saying is that only in the last few months have we seen the words "steel-cut" regarding oatmeal, at least here in LA.  Whether home made, steel-cut, rolled, flattened, kicked, or beaten, it was always just oatmeal.  It's like everything else here - all these trendy little words and things added to what used to be simple dishes.  There was something else I noticed - something called aioli - I'm telling you, I never heard the word aioli until last year and now it's on every menu everywhere.

I think the trendy restaurants just discovered good quality oats, they have been around a long, long time.  Hotel restaurants often have them on the menu.

Bryan prefers oats that take 45 minutes to prepare.  I can’t remember if it is stone oats or steel oats.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2007, 05:31:17 PM »

Aioli is a garlicky mayonnaise.  Mayo is made from eggs and oil.  Eggs Aioli would be like gilding the lily with more lily...

Wait a sec.  Garlic is a member of the lily family.  So maybe it really WOULD be like gilding the lily with more lily!

The real question would be, eggs cooked how, exactly, and then served with an aioli.  It could be quite tasty!

Actually, now that I think of it, I've had an antipasti - or maybe it was a tapas - of hard-boiled eggs served with aioli.  Quite good.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »

That sounds more like a tapas than an antipasti.

Oops, we're talking trendy food again!  Has our esteemed BK yet heard of tapas?  Does tapas exist in LA?

Cillaliz

« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »

I had the most woderful drink tonight - orange juice, fresh strawberries, fresh blue berries and a banana in the new blender. It was extremely yummy.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up