Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD  (Read 91071 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2007, 02:12:41 PM »

And this:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »

As many will recall, when I visited New York for the first time in 2006, my favorite thing was to be able to hear so many different languages spoken on the street everywhere I went! It just made me happy! I am sure people must have wondered who was this grinning yahoo walking up Wall St!  ;D

You can get that in London and Rome and Lisbon and Madrid and Munich and Berlin and Athens and Istanbul, etc.

Lots of tourists and lots of immigrants, too.  And tons of cultural diversity.

The xenophobia kicks in when elements of longstanding local culture get PC'd out the window because other ethnicities don't participate in observing them.  As fewer and fewer people adhere to older traditions, newer traditions, some based on immigrant traditions, take hold.  

Yes, the ghosts of Native Americans are probably smiling as this culture continues to blend and merge and the traditions of the conquering "white man" begin to disappear as the melting pot begins to consume all that was in favor of new cultural phenomena.

We are in a cosmic production of "Fiddler on the Roof", and "Traditions" continues to be performed with great sorrow...and perhaps, a little hope.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:16:15 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2007, 02:16:31 PM »

And:

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »

See what happens when you encourage me?  

MBarnum

« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »

those values aren't their values, or their religion tells them to be offended and not to bear it.  

Which is exactly the reason why things got to the point of needing or having things being P.C in our county....which really is only simple politeness.

But I will agree that P.C. does at times go to extremes and to a point of silliness and hypocrisy.

I have buddies who are all for political correctness as it pertains to gays and lesbians, but they get there knickers in a twist when it comes to other ethnicities, religions, or beliefs that aren't theirs.

If people would follow the golden rule then P.C. would not have ever been needed. Unfortunately, itis needed to an extent and has made life all the better for many of us. Not in the "lets ban Charlie Chan movies"  or "we must remove all smoking from vintage cartoons" way, but in the "Yes, let him or her swear on the Koran if that is what they believe in" way, or the "Perhaps we can have a holiday party (rather then only a Christmas party) so that we can celebrate all the holidays that occur at this same time and not make is seem as if Christmas were the only holy holiday at that time of year.

I am not for any of those who practice P.C. by limiting free speech (such as the Charlie Chan ban which was most ridiculous), but I am also not in favor of those who promote free speech that purposely hurts others.

Of course your mileage may vary and it is only my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 02:35:39 PM by MBarnum »

Tomovoz

« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »

Good -- encouragement pays off!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2007, 02:39:16 PM »

Perhaps instead of Politcal Correctness is ought to be Political Compassion. I never thought the "Correctness" made any sense.

Tomovoz

« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »

Let's hear it for the guys who are forced into sleeping on fire escapes. More compassion is needed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2007, 02:42:40 PM »

Heading down now to clean the living room and then back to Miss Day and her caprices.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2007, 02:51:10 PM »

I am so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o ready for retirement, and yet I'm just not "there" yet.

I've still got about 25 years before I can retire. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2007, 02:55:33 PM »

Still gray out here.  I'm waiting for the gardeners to finish because I can't concentrate with all that racket.

George

« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2007, 02:55:47 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - I had a ton of e-mails to go through - but not one order.  Hmmmm.  Maybe I should only do Skinner/Ripley CDs.

I get paid tomorrow (well, actually tonight...I have direct deposit!) and I'll order my copies "The Brain From Planet X" and Joan's CD tonight!  Finally! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2007, 02:56:17 PM »

I'm very excited about the Creature CD release and so is the company putting it out.  I'm trying to find out a release date.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2007, 02:56:53 PM »

I've had Flags Of Our Fathers here for two weeks, yet I haven't watched it.  Maybe after the workshop tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2007, 02:57:37 PM »

We've actually had about six orders today - not nearly enough, obviously, but a step in the right direction.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2007, 03:05:30 PM »

Yay for orders!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2007, 03:14:03 PM »

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I spend most of my time with the two four-year-old classes. And every time, Katie, Nathan, and Madison want to play Candyland. I walk in the classroom and Katie drops whatever she's doing to get the game out.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »

Just heard from the guy who's mastering The Creature soundtrack.  I'd sent him what I hoped was a reel-to-reel of the songs, so he'd have the best quality for those (the ones I'd sent him were sub-par compared to the score tracks).  He just called to let me know that the long-lost alternate Creature vocal (more of a character voice) is on the tape, so we'll include that with the CD.  Even better, there are instrumental-only versions of the three songs, so we're going to include those as Karoke sing-a-long tracks.

That's pretty cool!  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »

I didn't get to eat my plate today because the kids all ate their lunches without any fuss. It was was mac and cheese, bananas ("eyeballs"), buttered bread, and some kind of corn and legume medley. Plus we were using styrofoam plates and I really didn't want to eat one of those.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

FJL

« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2007, 03:21:13 PM »

Cilla -  Got the mail from you.  Thanks.   (It actually reached our building's mailroom yesterday, but it was closed by the time we saw the slip, so we got it today.)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:39 PM »

We are working on restoring a theatre on our town Square. This talk of political correctness brought to mind a question we have been debating.

The theatre has a "colored" entrance that led to the balcony. (Stairs too narrow to roll down...) Some would like to keep that as part of the historical context of the theatre, others would rather whitewash the past and pretend it never happened. I would be interested in what some of our DR's think.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »

We are working on restoring a theatre on our town Square. This talk of political correctness brought to mind a question we have been debating.

The theatre has a "colored" entrance that led to the balcony. (Stairs too narrow to roll down...) Some would like to keep that as part of the historical context of the theatre, others would rather whitewash the past and pretend it never happened. I would be interested in what some of our DR's think.

Hi DR Edi....   Some years back, I played down at the Rylander Theatre in (I think) Americus, GA.   It has had a nice restoration, and has an organ re-installed back into it.  It too has the not-too-uncommon feature of a "coloreds only" outside entrance and box office, which led up to an upper balcony.  It is all still intact, and that way it is history that can be learned from.........and hopefully not repeated!!

George

« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »

Things like that should be left intact.  It's a part of the history of the building, the town and the country at that time.  Revisionist history is rarely a good thing.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2007, 03:46:53 PM »

Quote from: S. Woody White on Today at 09:52:34am
I have no idea what to make of the word KATZENJAMMER.  Just the thought of it is giving me a headache.

The Katzenjammer Kids. one of the oldest comic strips ever!

And then there's The Kipper Kids: BIM BAM BOOM!
The word katzenjammer existed before the kids came along.  It means "a hangover."  Thus my own joke.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2007, 03:49:46 PM »

I would have a photographic record of the separate entrance on display somewhere in the theater, but include an invitation for everyone to use the stairs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »

If the plan is to restore, then I would suggest keeping it and perhaps a plaque or such explaining to the new generation what it was all about. It would be quite an interesting history lesson for some, I imagine.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2007, 03:51:31 PM »

I am not for any of those who practice P.C. by limiting free speech (such as the Charlie Chan ban which was most ridiculous), but I am also not in favor of those who promote free speech that purposely hurts others.

Of course your mileage may vary and it is only my opinion.

I truly don't know how to respond to this.  Are you addressing this to me?  If so, what on earth have I posted in this forum that makes you believe I'm at odds with you on this issue?  I think we are both on the same side of the fence.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2007, 03:55:26 PM »

I think an accurate restoration is the way to go.  Revisionism should be avoided at all costs.  We'll never know how much we've progressed -- or how much further we have to go -- until we can see where we've been.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2007, 03:58:23 PM »

Der Brucer and I had some fun today, once he decided it was time to get the chores done.

We were going to get haircuts, but that's going to have to wait, as our barbershop is closed on both Monday and Tuesday.  Monday, we had expected, but not Tuesday as well.

Then there was the matter of the car's registration.  This involved driving over to Georgetown to the Department of Transportation, discovering that der B had somehow lost a piece of paper that he needed, driving back home, still unable to find the paper, calling the Dept. and finding out that he didn't need the paper he thought he had to have, driving back to Georgetown, and getting the registration renewed.

Final two chores were back here in Rehoboth Beach.  First, I needed new shoes (the ones I've been wearing to work had literally worn holes in the soles), and then some groceries for tonight's dinner.  While at the store, Stacy, one of the floor managers, came over and asked if I'd gotten her phone message, asking me to come in earlier tomorrow.  Well, no, I hadn't been near the phone, and sure I'll come in earlier.

And that has been my day.

The shoes look good, by the way.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2007, 03:58:54 PM »

In the small town where I visit each Christmas, there was a theater once.  It was open when I lived there in the early 50s, and remained open through the 1960s.

I remember there being separate entrances...and the candy/popcorn concession had two sides, both glassed, with counters.  You passed the concession on the way into the theater through each entrance.

I remember asking why I couldn't sit up there in the balcony.  It sure seemed like there'd be a better view of the screen from there.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 03:59:32 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up