Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A DISH BEST SERVED COLD  (Read 154200 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:A DISH BEST SERVED COLD
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »

And ever and ever and ever.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »

[size=9]6ers[/size][/color]

Now this is more like it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »

What I couldn't figure out is why the Cartoon Network would use a promotion of a cartoon character giving the finger? It just seems rather vulgar for a kids network.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2007, 10:34:53 AM »

The Land of the Free to be totally paranoid and terrified.

Let's see, I remember:

When I was 5, I was told to cover the lighted dial on radio so the German bombers couldn't spot us. All the windows in the house were outfitted with black window shades and there were periodic air raids with much siren wailing. The family moved to a rural inland area to be "safer" from air attack.

When I was in school we had frequent drop and cover drills in preparation for a nuclear attack.

As a new family man I had to evacuate my wife and new-born from the Norfolk, VA area prior to my emergency deployment during the Cuban Missile crisis.

As a junior Naval officer I had to brief my crew on the special precautions need while going ashore in Istanbul because Turkish Nationalist Terrorists had issued specific death threats against our crew. (Sort of reminding me of the few years before when I had to advise the members of my crew that their black shipmates were not welcome at the Special Events planned for us in Savannah, GA.)

As a Shore Patrol Officer, being warned by the French Police which Arab areas of Marseilles had to be avoided (even they were afraid to go there).

In 1967 checking the status of our nuclear warheads while we were tearing through the Med toward Egypt after they (we thought) had attacked the Liberty.

1986, sitting on my couch in Long Beach, watching TV coverage of the DC9 aircraft that had just plunged into a neighboring town, killing 82, and wiping out a neighborhood

1987, cowering in a doorway while the Whittier Narrows earthquake almost destroyed the house.

1992, planning a safe route home after watching a poor trucker pulled from his truck and near beat to death not too far away. Finding almost all the stores closed - shopped for sacks at the corner Liquor store which had armed guards posted out side and on the roof; watched the. Rodney King riots on TV, went outside to see the flames rising from the stores in the neighborhood struck by rioters.

2001 watched World Trade Center come down.

Do I live in any more fear, today - no!. (Maybe I'm numb.)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »

I'm wondering if the CN guys could use a "reasonable person" standard to say that 8 other cities didn't react the way Boston did, so that your typical "reasonable city personnel" would not have reacted that way.

One could argue that the Boston folks were more alert than other cities.

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »

Thanks, Ron for the great Birthday Page.

It's official. This evening we will be seeing a motion picture entitled "The Queen" starring Golden Globe and SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Award Winner Helen Mirren.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2007, 10:41:52 AM »

That's because we have!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2007, 10:46:54 AM »

What I couldn't figure out is why the Cartoon Network would use a promotion of a cartoon character giving the finger? It just seems rather vulgar for a kids network.

Most of the shows on the network are very vulgar, but this is the first time I've seen it put out there for the general public. I don't think it's a good idea, either, especially with young kids who imitate things they see and don't understand why it's not OK to flip off the driver in the car next to you. The Adult Swim block is a late-night block of programming so most young kids probably wouldn't see it. Some of the stuff is very funny and weird, but often I feel like I have to wade through too much crap for a few nuggets of good stuff. Kind of like television in general...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2007, 10:48:57 AM »

At the risk of sounding like Cillaliz - I suspect that how the devices would be perceived in today's "terror-phobic" environment never crossed anybody's mind. If that stunt had been pulled in 2000, it would have gotten great press.

der Brucer

God forbid you should sound like me DerB ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:20 AM »

Working in a federal office after 911 will really show you the over reaction.  I had a homeland security guy call me and ask what our plan was in case our office was attached by ballistic missles.  I burst out laughing. I said "Well if it's during working hours I'll probably be dead, so I really don't care what happens " He wasn't amused. So I said "Does your mother know you call people and ask these questions"  He finally started laughing, but he was a strange duck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »

Thanks, Ron for the great Birthday Page.

It's official. This evening we will be seeing a motion picture entitled "The Queen" starring Golden Globe and SAG (Screen Actors Guild) Award Winner Helen Mirren.

'wekkum!

Enjoy the movie.  I hope to see it very soon, as well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »

Two peas in a pod.

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »

We also had to sit in a courtroom and have the color coated terror alert system explained to us.  Trust me, it makes no sense what-so-ever

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2007, 11:05:03 AM »

Thanks for all the vibes. I'll know something next week and will keep you posted.  A friend of mine who is a solo lawyer and a cpa has offered to help me set up my books on the computer so I can do the business side easier than I did last time around. Cool beans.

Michael

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »

I was knocked off my ISP this morning just as I was wishing Ben

The Best Of All Possible Worlds today on his birthday.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2007, 11:16:29 AM »

Here is song for ANT to sing to our birthday boy

Ben, the two of us need look no more
We both found what we were looking for
With a friend to call my own
I'll never be alone
And you, my friend, will see
You've got a friend in me
(you've got a friend in me)

Ben, you're always running here and there
You feel you're not wanted anywhere
If you ever look behind
And don't like what you find
There's one thing you should know
You've got a place to go
(you've got a place to go)

I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
I used to say "I" and "me"
Now it's "us", now it's "we"
Ben, most people would turn you away
I don't listen to a word they say
They don't see you as I do
I wish they would try to
I'm sure they'd think again
If they had a friend like Ben
(a friend) Like Ben
(like Ben) Like Ben
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2007, 11:19:26 AM »

Hey - I have lots of "lawyer" practice. As you may, or may not, know, in the Military, lawyerly duties below the General Courts Martial level can be performed by regular officers. I have performed trial duties is gobs (a Naval pun) of Trials. I was a much sought after Defense Counsel until Command got fed up with losing. They couldn't "forbid" me to defend, but they executed a more devious plan - I was always appointed the Trial counsel (prosecutor). One of my more entertaining court moments was when I cross-examined a defense witness and elicited testimony to the advantage the defense. When I was called out for an explanation, I pointed out that as Trial Counsel my sworn duty was to ensure a fair trial; even if the defense was a boob, it was my job to get all the facts before the court. Special Courts Martial are all about getting PTA's (Pre-Trail Agreements - like a copping a plea). It was my job to negotiate the pleas and then present them, privately, to command for his consideration.

Unfortunately, PTA or no, the system still required going through the motions; therefore, court was convened, the accused pled guilty, matters in extenuation and mitigation were heard; the court then deliberated and awarded a sentence. When the Court found out that there was a pre-trial deal that chopped off a lot of their sentence, they were usually pissed.

One more "trying" episode involved an idiot defense lawyer who offered exculpatory evidence under "mitigation" - the Trial Judge almost through out the Guilty plea, which would have voided the PTA, and put the defendant in considerable jeopardy.

In retrospect, the defendants got a better deal with me prosecuting than they would have with me defending.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #167 on: February 02, 2007, 11:21:57 AM »

but he was a strange duck.

Did he whack like a duck? (An Ugly Betty joke).

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2007, 11:22:32 AM »

Last night, DR Jennifer posted:

DR RonP, i have a question re: something you said.  You wrote that oliver's aunt got rid of her dad (he was abusing her) and also got rid of her brother (oliver's dad).  I think you are right.  But after watching the show I did not think the aunt killed oliver's dad (or knew her brother was abusing oliver).  I thought that we saw images/dreams of maggie (the doll) talking to oliver telling him to get rid of his dad.  I had assumed that maggie was actually the mastermind telling the kids to kill their parents.

Actually, when Allison confronted Oliver's aunt and said, "You're going to get away with it, you know", that was when I reckoned Allison wasn't just referring to the death of the woman's father, but also the brother.  

She had already gotten away with the first death.  Allison didn't suggest Oliver took the ladder away.  It would have been a bit of a chore for him to do that, anyway.  

And, as she left and saw Oliver, he said he forgot where Maggie (the doll) was...that he didn't need her anymore.

It made me believe the doll wasn't really a bad entity.

I may be wrong, of course....just opining away.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »

color coated

Want a chance to edit?

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: February 02, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »

Did he whack like a duck? (An Ugly Betty joke).

der Brucer

AFLAC....

DERBRUCER

« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »

Two peas in a pod.

Sounds like a set-up for a peaness joke (Food Network humor).

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2007, 11:25:04 AM »

Thanks Michael for the wishes and the song lyrics!

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »

I shall not be on my way to work with Miss Yvette Lawrence, owing to the fact that she called and has no voice.
aww poor thing....Good luck to her on getting better quickly!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Ginny

« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »

I was knocked off my ISP this morning....

Was that because of the weather, DR Michael S?  Are you OK?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »

Back from doing errands and giving my car a well-needed bath.  It looks quite spiffy now.  The clouds don't seem to want to let the sun come out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: February 02, 2007, 11:51:25 AM »

Got a call from the gal who won that talent contest I judged a while back.  She now has to put together an act and my name was on a list she was given by the owner of the club, of people who do this sort of thing.  I'm meeting with her on Sunday, but I'm not sure it's something I want to do - we'll see.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: February 02, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »

Do I live in any more fear, today - no!. (Maybe I'm numb.)

der Brucer

Although your life experiences, DER BRUCER, and mine are of course different, our conclusions are the same. There is and always has been risk. What I think has changed is that an attack on our soil has made many people realize that the government/God/whatever cannot or does not protect us from all mayhem. Those individuals therefore feel a greater threat than they did previously. In my view, prior to 9/11 many people were in denial--and THAT has changed.

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »

Edisaurus, I guess it has been a LONG time since I watched the Cartoon Network...last time I checked they were showing Yogi Bear and the Flintstones.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #179 on: February 02, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »

Hoo and Ray!

Mr UPS just showed up with a package from DeepDiscountDVD:

The New Doctor Who - Season Two
Forbidden Planet - 50th Anniversary SE

I will have one happy chef tonight.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up