Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY  (Read 41839 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2007, 08:59:52 AM »

Is it just page two, or are we still on me?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2007, 09:00:33 AM »

At long last three.

Ben

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »

Jane, to answer your question from yesterday, the cake can serve six to eight people depending on how large you cut the slices. I went to the M&S Web site to try and find a picture of the cake and/or the mini caterpillar rolls but I can't find images of either. The British Superstore site posted yesterday seems to describe a fruitcake with frosting (Marks And Spencer Fruit Cake with Icing 450g Price:  £2.79) but there is no picture. Also this sounds similar to the Caterpillar rolls (Marks and Spencers Extremely Chocolatey Mini Rolls 6 pack Price:  £1.99  ) but no picture. It seems like there should be a picture from the layout of the page but nothing is showing up on my screen. I'll look at it on my office computer tomorrow and see if there is a difference

Ginny

« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2007, 09:03:08 AM »

Hi, Jane - Read any good books lately?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »

Certainly my darling dear sweet adorable Jane has not read How To Write A Dirty Book and Other Stories.  :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2007, 09:19:11 AM »

And I blame Jose, who hasn't read it either.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2007, 09:19:52 AM »

I really intend to jog this fine morning as soon as it heats up a little.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2007, 09:27:12 AM »

Good morning! I can so relate to BK's space odyssey. I have spent numerous winter Sundays over the past several years sorting through, tossing, and organzing mounds of stuff. I'm a pack rat by nature--I'd rather keep than toss--but I am simply out of space. When I bought this house sixteen years ago my first thought was that it was bigger than I needed. A few years later I found a gem of a carpenter who converted a kitchen broom closet into a much-needed pantry, as well as several other storage projects. All were filled as soon as they were completed. I've gotten rid of so much stuff over the years--several yard sales, numerous donations to charity, etc--that I thought, "Surely, I'm down to just what I need." Wrong. I'm still culling--the Massive Cull. But I don't buy nearly as much now! And, like BK, I'm trading many old videos and DVDs for credit. I'm not sure I could call myself a recovering pack rat, but perhaps I'm a more restrained one.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »

EDISAURUS,
How lovely to run into your old music instructor! I've been in touch lately with several old friends from long ago--most notably Mr BK--and every time it is such a pleasure. It makes me think that no matter how many people one meets in life there are only a handful or two that really stand out as significant. Your music instructor sounds like a real gem. I hope you're able to spend many hours chatting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2007, 09:43:55 AM »

Will we never get to page four?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2007, 09:50:57 AM »

Here's a question for all you Hainsie/Kimlets:
I'm interested in furthering my music education. Many years ago, when I was a big fan of Karl Haas, I purchased his book, Inside Music, but never read it. (Unfortunately, it is not sufficient to merely purchase it, you must read the thing as well.) That's first on my list. What other books should I be considering? I do have some music background--I can read music and played the piano and classical guitar briefly--but am otherwise a novice. A great lover of music, but not really schooled in it. What do you all suggest?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2007, 09:52:21 AM »

Bruce, I'm trying.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2007, 09:59:50 AM »

Cleaning closet / garage vibes to bk and George
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2007, 10:00:03 AM »

I didn't care for 2001: A Space Odyssey, either. I saw it with a bunch of computer geeks, who, of course, loved it. I like selective science fiction. For me, 2001 was much ado about not very much.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »

I did also did some cleaning and I several bags and boxes that will go to the thrift store and some craft items to the senior center here in Fargo.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2007, 10:06:58 AM »

I also did some cleaning... and some craft items to the senior center here in Fargo.

I find it's easier to get rid of things when you can find a good home for them. Lots of times I say, "I can't throw THAT out!" but am more than happy to give it to someone who has a use for it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

From Dear Reader Iris:I had fun browsing the site.  The fruit cakes don’t mention a marzipan topping, just frosting on one.  The other one says it has a short shelf life which makes me wonder where the brandy is.  I could have a field day in the candy section, except for the English chocolates, I prefer Lindt chocolate to Thornton’s.  

My mother, who was born in England, always kept a tin of English toffees and other assorted English hard candies next to her bed.  I was permitted to help myself when ever I wanted, and I did.

On my father’s side of the bed was a tin of chocolates.  Goodness, no wonder I have a terrible sweet tooth and no control.

Jane I also liked that site and i spent some time browsing it last night. There is a store in St. Paul, MN that sells Irish groceries. They only have some of their merchandise online.

I like some of the sweets that they have and I buy Barry's tea from them.

http://www.irishongrand.com

A local grocery store now sells some International foods including some foodstuff and sweets from Britain. I have a sweet tooth for Jelly Babies!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »

I'll pretend I'm MATTH: Must go clean the kitchen.

WBBL, y'all.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2007, 10:16:49 AM »

I find it's easier to get rid of things when you can find a good home for them. Lots of times I say, "I can't throw THAT out!" but am more than happy to give it to someone who has a use for it.

I feel much better when stuff goes to a good home. I am also donating some older issues of National Geographics and Smithsonian.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »

I am off to go do a few things also..

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2007, 10:27:30 AM »

Edi, I have recipe for homemade peanut suet if you would like it.

I have tried the cake suet but when I hang them from trees, raccoons steal the feeders! They are smart little devils! They know how to operate a cat door, too.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »

Dakota, you are here early!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2007, 10:30:42 AM »

I wasn’t as bored the second time I watched SPACE ODYSSEY, probably because I was home & could take breaks, do other things, read…..etc.

LOL! I'm glad I'm not alone!

Ginny

« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2007, 10:39:45 AM »

DR Edi - lovely story about reconnecting with your professor!

Last night, DH Richard and I discovered another way to quickly become the youngest people in a room:  attend a concert by the Cincinnati Pops!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »

Count me among the crowd that finds 2001: A Space Odyssey a snoozefest.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:29 AM »

Here's a question for all you Hainsie/Kimlets:
I'm interested in furthering my music education. Many years ago, when I was a big fan of Karl Haas, I purchased his book, Inside Music, but never read it. (Unfortunately, it is not sufficient to merely purchase it, you must read the thing as well.) That's first on my list. What other books should I be considering? I do have some music background--I can read music and played the piano and classical guitar briefly--but am otherwise a novice. A great lover of music, but not really schooled in it. What do you all suggest?

DR Jeanne, Karl Haas lost his intellectual capacity for me the day he translated E.T.A. Hoffmann's story, "Fraulein von Scudery," the source for the Hindemith opera CARDILLAC, as "Young Lady from Scudery."  It's "Mlle de Scudery," the famous lady of letters in 17th Century Paris who is still known for her salon.  After that bit of misinformation to the general public, I decided he was one more moron passing himself off rather fatuously as a genius.

What sort of book would you like?  Give me your parameters and I will recommend a few items.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2007, 10:49:46 AM »

And now for the bad news: I may bolt for Ohio at any moment, depending on the current state of health.  My dad has now developed chronic nose bleeds that have caused his oncologist to suggest hospitalization.  He's resisting, I believe, because he fears he won't leave hospital alive this round, and this could be the case.  I'm treading water until I know more.  Thank God I have the IRS to occupy my mind this afternoon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2007, 10:54:00 AM »

Back from the jog - beautiful day out and that always makes it easier.  It's been over a week since I jogged, due to cold weather and my sched, so it was really nice to get the old blood pumbing again.  "Pumbing" again?  What kind of word is pumbing?  I thought I was writing pumping but maybe I meant plumbing - so now we have a new Hybrid word - pumbing - a cross between pumping and plumbing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »

I hope I can abstain from eating at Jerry's - want to save every calorie for Ruth's Chris.  I may have a side of bacon or something like that - or maybe just a couple of eggs, but no toast, butter, or potatoes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up