Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS  (Read 54020 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:20:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you were as confused by the notes as I was, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're very interested in the Scorpido, which they think is a new dish at Taco Bell.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:35:01 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 12:21:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONCINNITY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:23:49 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 12:28:24 AM »

George, in lieu of your comment in the locked thread.... Yep he is watching and personally gaurded by charming box of scorpidos....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »

I thought they were scorpions in speedos!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 12:30:30 AM »

I can tell this cd has been checked out a few times... It is like it is skipping from time to tiem in the song.

Len Cariou has an incredible voice!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »

One of my favorite foreign songs (and I'll admit that I mainly like it because it was recorded by The Manhattan Transfer with Laurel Massé doing the solo) is Je Voulais (Te Dire Que Je T'Attends).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:35:11 AM »

I can tell this cd has been checked out a few times... It is like it is skipping from time to tiem in the song.

Don't you hate it when that happens??  When you turn it in, you should give it to someone and tell them.  At the Service Center where I work, we have a CD grinder that (if a CD has scratches that are NOT on the label side) can grind down the underside enough to take out most scratches.  It cost a lot of money, but it totally works.  

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:35:56 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:35:27 AM »

Spanish Verison of "Chiquitita" by ABBA.....

Volare...
99 Luftballoons
Amadeus by Falco
Ta Mo Chleamhnas Deanta... (Match has been made)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 12:36:42 AM »

Weekend in thecountry is delightful if it is planned

George

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

Spanish Verison of "Chiquitita" by ABBA.....

99 Luftballoons
Amadeus by Falco

I forgot...I liked these two songs and I have an ABBA CD in Spanish, also!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 12:37:37 AM »

The Italian version of the song Gloria. It was recorded in English by Gloria Branigan

George

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 12:38:11 AM »

I have the original French concept recording and the Paris cast recording of Les Misérables.  I love that show.

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 12:38:38 AM »

Never Never Never (Grand Grande Grande)
Walk Away
You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
You're My World
Volare
It's Now Or Never
Surrender
She Wears My Ring
Love is Blue
Come What May (Apre toi)
Never On Sunday
I Will Wait For You
Banjo Boy
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 12:39:18 AM »

Women of Ireland (Mna na hEireann)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:41:21 AM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 12:40:08 AM »

I have the original French concept recording and the Paris cast recording of Les Misérables.  I love that show.

I would love ot hear that sometime

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 12:44:09 AM »

All the Abba songs were written in English first; even "Waterloo" which had to be changed to Swedish to be eliglible for Sweden's initial competition for the Eurovision Song Festival.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 12:47:52 AM »

I love many of Jacques Brel's songs, both in French and in their English translations.  All of Legrand's Umbrellas score and Rochefort score.  If You Go Away, in any language.  Volare.  Autumn Leaves.  Our Language Of Love (and many others from Irma La Douce by Marguerite Monnot).

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2007, 12:48:36 AM »

All the Abba songs were written in English first; even "Waterloo" which had to be changed to Swedish to be eliglible for Sweden's initial competition for the Eurovision Song Festival.

I did not know that Tom....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »

Another cd on my list to check out is the soundtrack to Amelie.

George

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 12:54:44 AM »

I love many of Jacques Brel's songs, both in French and in their English translations.  All of Legrand's Umbrellas score and Rochefort score.  If You Go Away, in any language.  Volare.  Autumn Leaves.  Our Language Of Love (and many others from Irma La Douce by Marguerite Monnot).

I have a three different recordings of Jacque Brel Is Alive and Living In Paris and the soundtracks to both "Umbrellas" and "Rochefort."  Great stuff!

George

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 12:57:26 AM »

Well, I'm off to bed.  Good night, BK, DakotaCelt and BK!

Michael

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 04:29:36 AM »

I am so glad people have mention Jaques Brel I love his song as well, but a side not he is not French, but he is from Belgium

A favorite of mine is Le Ciel est Bleu.

Too bad DR Francois doesn't post today I am sure he can give us a long list.

I also like the original French lyrics to I Dreamed a Drean from Les Miz. If you do a literally translation of the lyrics they are a lot more meaningful for the character.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 05:47:04 AM »

Good morning, all!  To paraphrase the original German title of ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT,Im Ohio nichts Neues; not a word on the Ohio front.  I shall proceed with my usual day - today I'm mixing JOSEPH & THE DREAMCOAT for Rodgers & Hammerstein - keeping my cellphone near me.

DearReaderLaura, the only DR to send me fudge is my beloved Nursie, but if we were ever to have a fudge judging contest, I couldn't vote till I had sampled yours . . .

I love Brel's songs, and while he's Belgian, his songs are mainly in French as opposed to Flemish - I love the collision of the two languages in "Marieke," and I like the way the best songs in JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL . . . capture the sounds of the original language in English, often when the translation itself is very free.  The biggest insult to the French original is Rod McKuen's "Seasons in the Sun," which alters both the tne of the original as well as its musical structure.

I also like Volare, Love Is Blue, and Never on Sunday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 05:50:36 AM »

Why, oh,
Why, oh,
Why, ohhhhh...
Why did I ever leave Concinnity, Ohio?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 05:58:39 AM »

There was this foreign language song

Feliz navidad
Feliz navidad
Feliz navidad
Prospero ao y felicidad

which I believe was translated to:

Phylicia Rashad
Phylicia Rashad
Phylicia Rashad
She played de mom, Bill Cosby played de dad

Or at least it did on the local bar scene :)

FJL

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 06:03:34 AM »

The only foreign language I know reasonably fluently is Hebrew, so my favorite songs for the TOD are the Hebrew songs

"Next Year" ("Bashana Haba-a") by Hedva and David (not to be confused with Harry and David),

and the previously discussed "Hallelujah," for which Steve and Eydie did a ubiquitous American version many years ago.

Ben

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 06:13:29 AM »

Il fait tres froid a New York City!

That is all.

It's not a foreign language song but it's a foreign language phrase.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:14:02 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 06:25:27 AM »

TOD:

Milord -- Piaf
Der Kommissar -- Falco

That's all that's coming to mind at the mo'.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 06:30:10 AM »

Almost at page 2
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up