Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS  (Read 54578 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2007, 08:34:42 AM »

I think Coco Chanel who said that if you haven't worn it for six months, get rid of it.  True, I have never worn any of the pile of articles I clipped out of NEW YORK MAGAZINE in the 70s and 80s, but you never know when that perfect occasion will come up.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2007, 08:34:46 AM »

DR Jose, perhaps we should go in together on an eBay sale!

Sounds like a good idea.

However, there are some things I know I just want to get out of boxes and out of my apartment, my life, as it were... Now.  Whether or not I pocket some change in the process.

I have a feeling I'll be taking a few boxes of books down The Strand, and some CDs down to Academy - or wherever else anyone suggests.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »

DR Jose -- cook books should NOT be ditched if you haven't used them in a month.  Books should be treasured, measured and used as needed...even if it's years between openings.

I'm pretty sure most of my cookbooks are keepers - I've cooked from about 95% of them.  However, there are a few in my collection that I know I can part with painlessly and guiltlessly.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2007, 08:38:38 AM »

PAGE FOUR DANCE!!!!

Since we're talking books...  The Dance Break from "Marian, The Librarian".

Marshmallow?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2007, 08:42:20 AM »

Rant of the day:

One of my co-workers is returning today from a three-week vacation.  Sadly, we learned at the last minute two weeks ago that her mother had died.  I attempted to send flowers on behalf of my work group, but I was too late to get anything done in time for the funeral.

A couple of my co-workers indicated they would just do something personal for her when she returned.

This morning, however, I ordered a basket of African violets be sent here and I instructed the card indicate it was from all of us (not by name, but by our group name).

I let others know what I'd done and told them it was their choice whether to participate or not...that I would have done it alone anyway.

A couple of folks thanked me and anted up.

One person, however, said, "Does she LIKE African violets?"  The tone was challenging.

I replied "I don't know.  I think it's the thought that matters."

I got a "look" and nothing more was said.  

I say it here:  Some people can go straight to HELL!

Rant over.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2007, 08:43:33 AM »

And back to more pressing topics...

The Topic of the Day

"Besame Mucho"
"Love Is Blue"
"Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" ("Quizas, Quizas, Quizas")
"The Girl From Ipanema" - And basically another Jobim title.

And that's about all I can come up with right now... I've been up for a few hours already, but haven't had any breakfast yet, so...  Time to eat.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2007, 08:44:18 AM »

DR Ron--on that person's next birthday, make sure you have your group send him/her a nice big bunch of African violets.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2007, 08:45:50 AM »

DR Ron--on that person's next birthday, make sure you have your group send him/her a nice big bunch of African violets.

This person's birthday is Dec. 15th....and I make sure I'm never here on that date.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2007, 08:47:04 AM »

DR Jose - I just added myself to the reserve list at my library for It's All Too Much.  We have 12 copies on order and I'm #12 on the list, so should get a brand new book.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2007, 08:50:51 AM »

derBrucer:
I married into a Southern family and found to my delight that the bride had her sticky-sicky white cake, but  there was also a Groom's cake - good old brandy soaked dark fruit-cake (too bad I was supposed to share).

It sounds delicious & very English, except it was missing the almond paste.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2007, 08:54:32 AM »

The talk this morning about A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC has prompted me to play the Judi Densch recording on ye olde iPode.  This is probably the third time I'm listening to this particular version in as many weeks.  I think Densch has become my favorite of the recorded Desirees, along with whoever is playing Anne.

I'm not crazy about the amalgamated "The Glamorous Life"  that was used in this production.  The two songs are too dissimilar in scope and musicality and they don't blend well to my ears.  They do not belong together.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2007, 08:57:08 AM »

DR Jose - I just added myself to the reserve list at my library for It's All Too Much.  We have 12 copies on order and I'm #12 on the list, so should get a brand new book.

Of course, the next time you're at Border's...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2007, 08:58:49 AM »

I'm so groggy I can hardly pith right now.

Given the East Coast temps, I'm not surprised.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2007, 09:01:16 AM »

Am having cell phone troubles.....my voice mail is somehow now linked to the telephone number of the woman who cuts my hair.

When I press 1 and hold it down, her cell phone is dialed.

Sigh.  Don't know how I did that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »

Double sigh.

I'm totally not figuring out how to UNdo that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2007, 09:03:16 AM »

Someone is wearing some hideously allergy inducing scent this morning...either a powder or a perfume.

I may have to put my foot down and make a point of leaving work ILL because of it.

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2007, 09:03:43 AM »

Of course, the next time you're at Border's...

;)

I have noticed how many people are using the super bookstores as libraries now - for reading something you don't want to buy, to have group study sessions, for browsing and leisure reading.  Since we've relinquished the library to the homeless, our former users are going elsewhere.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »

Am having cell phone troubles.....my voice mail is somehow now linked to the telephone number of the woman who cuts my hair.

When I press 1 and hold it down, her cell phone is dialed.

Sigh.  Don't know how I did that.

DR Ron Pulliam - Sounds like you somehow re-programmed your speed dial function on your cell phone.  If you look at the listing for your woman who cuts your hair on your phone, does it give a speed dial option of "1"?  -Or whatever the voicemail key is?

Can you just dial your own cell phone number from your cell phone to get your voice mail?
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »

I went to Trader Joe's yesterday at noon to stock up on some things I love....and in particular because it was Super Bowl Sunday.

And, Oh! My!, but weren't there a bunch of other folks there loading up on noshes!!!

In addition to my chili lemon pistachios (4 bags) and roasted cashews (1 pound), I picked up two pork tenderloins and two Frenched rack of lambs.  I'm just drooling talking about them.

They're in my freezer and will be prepared on weekends as a special treat for myself.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2007, 09:06:09 AM »

I can't wait to do the reduction sauces to pour over the loin and lamb.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2007, 09:06:13 AM »

Well, time to move some shelves... again...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »

Poor Sherlock is eating right through all of his fun toys.  I need to search for some new ones on the internet.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2007, 09:08:24 AM »

I have noticed how many people are using the super bookstores as libraries now - for reading something you don't want to buy, to have group study sessions, for browsing and leisure reading.  Since we've relinquished the library to the homeless, our former users are going elsewhere.

You should check out the public eating areas at the Whole Foods here in NYC - particularly at Columbus Circle/Time-Warner Center and the one at Union Square down by NYU.  Talk about "squatting".  And, of course, since WiFi is now available at Starbucks...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2007, 09:10:29 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Sounds like you somehow re-programmed your speed dial function on your cell phone.  If you look at the listing for your woman who cuts your hair on your phone, does it give a speed dial option of "1"?  -Or whatever the voicemail key is?

Can you just dial your own cell phone number from your cell phone to get your voice mail?

There is no indication of speed dial anything.  I programmed a bunch of numbers....I just go into my address book, scroll to the name (like yours), highlight the number and press "Call".

I can dial my cell phone number.  I actually haven't set up a password for obtaining my calls, but I shouldn't need one to listen, I wouldn't think.  When I first got the number, I got a lot of voicemails I was able to listen to and clear.

If I send you a roundtrip plane ticket, will you fly out to Oakland International and program it for me?

;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:13:19 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2007, 09:11:09 AM »

DR Jose -- cook books should NOT be ditched if you haven't used them in a month.  Books should be treasured, measured and used as needed...even if it's years between openings.

YES!!! I certainly agree. I feel that way about books in general. I do cull--I have to, I just don't have the space--but I have many books and files that I haven't used in years, but they are still relevant to projects that I'm currently working on or could easily be given. A few years ago I was offered a writing assignment that was quite esoteric and would have been much, much more difficult if I hadn't had certain books already on hand. I don't think that the de-clutter "pros" understand the concept of a professional library.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2007, 09:12:09 AM »

Poor Sherlock is eating right through all of his fun toys.  I need to search for some new ones on the internet.

Wouldn't it be more fun to take him shopping to pick out his own toys?

:)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2007, 09:12:58 AM »

OH!  And here's the book:

It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff
by Peter Walsh

*Of course, I didn't buy the book since I didn't want to add another book to my clutter right now.  ;)

Sounds like you don't NEED the book!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »

Well....the last time I saw 2001 - at home with some nice sound...and a Diet Pepsi, I liked it more.

Certainly after 35 years of a Technology Revolution, certain things look quaint, but the idea of HAL is terrifying.  The ending (don't bother to try to explain it to me) is just to ambiguous for me.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2007, 09:21:12 AM »

DR JOSE,
Thanks for adding the the music book recommendations. I heard part of what I think may have been the Young People's concerts many years ago and always wanted to revisit it. (That could be a TOD--all the things we meant to do but somehow haven't done.) The NPR website didn't occur to me, but it's now on my list. Thanks!

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »

Off to brave the elements - bye for now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up