Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS  (Read 54581 times)

MBarnum

Re:AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2007, 09:34:09 AM »

I have never seen 2001.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »

More on clutter: I watched a PBS program on decluttering and it had one or two good ideas. Clearly, the woman giving it had had serious clutter problems and maybe how to get rid of things didn't come easily to her. Overall, I didn't feel it helped me much.

I really think that some people are minimalists and some of us are not. I have a friend who tosses something every time she buys something new. She was taught this by her mother and is rather obsessive about it. Worse, she expects her husband to do the same. I grew up in a frugal family and can't do that.

I think that it helps to look at what it's costing you in $$$, such as a storage locker. Every time you can reduce your monthly expenses, such as DR GEORGE is doing, you're ahead. After all, you can now afford to BUY MORE STUFF!!! :)  Seriously, due to the high cost of housing these days I can't afford the large house that I was planning on some years ago, so that is a motivator. On the other hand, why not keep something you might need or simply enjoy if you have the space?  

As for the "If you haven't used it for a year.." thing, well, that just doesn't work in my life. If we have a warm winter am I to toss my winter coats and cold-weather gear? Hardly. I think that what you keep and what you toss just depends very much on your lifestyle. One day I'll tell you all about the REALLY HUGE MISTAKE  I made long ago when I threw out something that I REALLY, REALLY REGRET. But not now.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2007, 09:36:20 AM »

Page 5 Kyu Sakamoto dance

(He sang SUKIYAKI)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2007, 09:36:46 AM »

Yikes.  I didn't have time to bring in a prepared lunch this morning and now I have to go out in the arctic air to get something to eat.  If I have to go out, then I'm going to get something to make it worth the trek.

I have to laugh and laugh again at the smokers who have still been standing outside our building so they can have their ciggy breaks.  Our building strictly enforces where these people can gather, and it's on a wall that is directly hit by a blasting wind tunnel, which is all the worse in these temperatures.  

I have no sympathy.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2007, 09:37:43 AM »

I have never seen 2001.

Yes you did, six years ago.

But maybe you have never seen "2001".  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »

TOD'

Sukiyaki
Dominique
99 Luftballoons
Volare

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2007, 09:38:51 AM »

LOL! I guess you are right JRand!

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2007, 09:39:47 AM »

Vibes to Elmore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2007, 09:40:46 AM »

LOL! I guess you are right JRand!

Don't Knock the Blockhead!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2007, 09:42:45 AM »

I was overall disappointed in the commercials last night.  The only one that I felt was funny and surprising was the Grand Theft Auto guy going nice in one of the Coke commercials.

There was one commercial that had everybody at the party laughing. It was for budweiser. IT had a young couple driving. And there was a hitchhiker standing in the road with a beer and an ax.

The boyfriend wanted to stop and the girl was like, "but he had an ax". And the boyfriend was like, "but he had a budweiser!"

So the boyfriend opens the window and looks at the hitchhiker and says "so what's with the ax?" and the guy says "oh it's a bottle opener". So the boyfriend lets him in.

Then the same thing happens with a chainsaw hitchhiker.

Jennifer

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2007, 09:43:40 AM »

Re: the superbowl. I do not think the quarterback deserved to be MVP. I'm sure he's good and all. but last night he was just okay.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »

One more word (from me) on clutter:
I do say that if I'm going to keep something it must be organized. What's the point of keeping something if you can't find it when you need it? I find that most annoying. "I know it's in the house. I just don't know WHERE." I've said that a few times.

And I am very glad I did all that decluttering over the past few years. It's not done, but I threw out TONS and I'm really glad I did it. So, GEORGE, you'll probably be glad you did it too!

Unfortunately, every time I do a MAJOR CULL I throw out something I later regret. I just accept that now.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »

As for dreams, I didn't remember any of last night's dreams. Did I have any? I don't know. I feel cheated. Many of you had such interesting ones. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2007, 09:49:40 AM »

I think today is the coldest day of the year. It is something like -30C. I do not like it this cold! :(

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »

I'm not crazy about the amalgamated "The Glamorous Life"  that was used in this production.  The two songs are too dissimilar in scope and musicality and they don't blend well to my ears.  They do not belong together.

...and they should have belonged...together.
They have to move on!

A Sondheim reference. ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 09:52:30 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2007, 09:54:55 AM »

DR Jose -- cook books should NOT be ditched if you haven't used them in a month.  Books should be treasured, measured and used as needed...even if it's years between openings.

That's how I feel about my CDs...musicals, especially.  My mom keeps telling me to get rid of some of my CDs because I have so many and why do I keep buying them, but I CAN'T get rid of any and I WON'T! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2007, 09:56:44 AM »

And like bk , DR George, and others here on HHW, I just have to way too much stuff.  And I must whittle down my belongings.  -And like other DRs, I've been going through this process for years now.  So, maybe we should all form a pact of sorts, or even have a contest to see which Hainsie/Kimlet can de-stuffify first.

;)

As much as I would love to join that pact/contest, I'm afraid that I'd lose.  I know myself too well...I'm the King of the Procrastinators. ::) I've been saying for years that I need to get rid of some of my stuff, but hopefully this time, I will.

Jennifer

« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2007, 09:57:37 AM »

Oh and during the Super Bowl there were plenty of promos for Survivor starting Thursday and TAR allstars (starting 2 weeks from last night). I cannot wait. Especially for TAR.

Anyone else excited?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2007, 10:01:38 AM »

Someone is wearing some hideously allergy inducing scent this morning...either a powder or a perfume.

I may have to put my foot down and make a point of leaving work ILL because of it.

As someone with allergies, you have not only my sympathy but my support about making a point about it. I do wish women would refrain from wearing loads of strong perfume (I've never been around a man who wore obnoxious scent), especially in public places. I was at the Kennedy Center one evening when someone nearby was wearing something that bothered me. It really distracted from the performance.

I don't think that many people are aware that colognes and perfumes are made from weeds because they are both cheap and plentiful. These are the same weeds that cause an array of allergic reactions. So that person who complains bitterly about the ragweed--or pollen in general-- is actually introducing more of the same into the environment by wearing scent.  

In coming years this could become an issue like smoking, since more and more people are suffering from allergies.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »

...and they should have belonged...together.
They have to move on!

A Sondheim reference. ;)

I knew you would get it, DR George!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2007, 10:06:39 AM »

Topic of the Day:  a few years ago, I got a CD called Thank You for the Music by Deborah Boily.  It's a live CD of her cabaret act and it's very good.  Anyway, she does this French medley and one of the songs is called "Comme D’Habitude," which means "As Usual."  She tells the story on the CD that when she first heard the song, the music sounded really familiar.  It turns out that Paul Anka also heard the song and wrote English lyrics to it and called it "My Way."  However his lyrics have nothing to do with the original French lyrics.  She she translated it herself and recorded it.  Here are the lyrics that she sings, translated from the French:

Each day, when I awake
You lay asleep as usual
Afraid you might be cold
I raise the sheet as usual
And though I hesitate
I touch your cheek as usual
But you, you turn away
From me, as usual

So then I quickly dress
And leave the room as usual
Alone, I have my tea
I’m running late as usual
I leave without a sound
It’s cold outside as usual
So cold, so wet
And I am numb as usual

Yes, every day and all day long
I act as if there’s nothing wrong
As usual I always smile
I even laugh and play the clown
As usual my life goes on and on as usual

George

« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2007, 10:07:06 AM »

George

« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2007, 10:08:16 AM »

Well...in the correct words of Sondheim, "I have to move on."  It's time for me to go to work.  

Until later!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2007, 10:09:59 AM »

Oh and during the Super Bowl there were plenty of promos for Survivor starting Thursday and TAR allstars (starting 2 weeks from last night). I cannot wait. Especially for TAR.

Anyone else excited?

I'm excited for TAR, especially since it should start at 8:00 on the dot, barring the odd overtime basketball game.  No more setting TIVO to cover two and a half hours.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »

Anyone else excited?

Not nearly so much as you.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

D'OH!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2007, 10:19:26 AM »

I keep inching toward a milestone, but cannot quite get there.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »

Apropos of my efforts:

PUSH!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »

Make it special, DR Ron!
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »

I've spent the last ninety minutes taking a first stab at the special material number for Joan Ryan, so we'd have something to sing through.  Some of it is really funny, I must say.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up