Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS  (Read 54038 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:AND A BOX OF SCORPIDOS
« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »

Love is a glass of iced tea.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »

[size=8]10ses[/size]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

I shall now be on my way to work with Miss Joan Ryan.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2007, 01:23:04 PM »

Sheesh, talk about work schedules.

What with erratic, and long, work hours, plus the care and feeding of der Brucer, I've been errant and truant in these parts.  And it doesn't end with today, because I've been called in to fill in until closing this evening.  This was scheduled to be a day off.  I'll day off on Saturday, instead.

Take yesterday, for instance.  Superbowl Sunday, I get pegged for the closing shift.  Before the game, there's business.  After the game starts, everything is quiet.  Very quiet.  It's just me, Stacy as our front end manager, and Debbie.  Debbie leaves at nine, so it's just the two of us at the front of the store.

We're to close the doors at ten, normal Sunday schedule.  So, ten minutes before ten, a couple of big, beefy guys saunter in, one talking on his cell phone the entire time, casing the joint, the other referring to me as "Mister Boss Man" when I greet him.  Oh, yeah, they're cool.  The other guy buys a bottle of water, they saunter out when they realize they've been watched the entire time and that they aren't going to be able to pull anything.  They've been recorded by the video cams, they don't even think about that.

Two minutes before closing, two other guys, separate from each other, come dashing in for last minute purchases.

Stacy has already annouced that the store will be closing in ten minutes, five minutes.  She's locked the doors, announced that the store is closed.  I head to the men's room for a quick dump (man, those chili leftovers were tasty but next time I'm not making it with beans), and on my way I find yet ONE MORE CUSTOMER!!!

With a FULL CART!!!

Yep, he'd heard the time warnings, but he'd been given a check for two hundred and fifty by his girlfriend and needed to fill his cart with that much groceries before he could leave.

So of course I headed back to my register, to check him out (he wasn't my type, nowhere near) and he's got short of the amount, but he's within the fifty dollar cash back amount.

But the computer won't accept the check.  Doesn't recognize the account, will not allow any cash back, nada.

Stacy goes through the procedure, comes up with the same result.  He gets his girlfriend on the phone, she's just telling him to buy more, but the check isn't going to clear, and since it's her check, not his, he doesn't have the correct driver's licence to verify the check.

They don't get the groceries.  Boo-hoo.   He leaves in a huff.  Too bad.

This leaves me with less than an hour to get everything that is in the cart back on the shelves, some of the stuff needing to get back on the shelves RIGHT NOW because it's refridgerated goods and needs to get back in the cool chests.  Good thing I know the store as well as I do, and bag like items together, because I got everything back on the shelves in something like forty minutes, not bad for a cart as full as his was.

So, tonight I get to close again.  Lots of fun.  Hopefully it will be quieter than last night.

But now I'm wondering about how my schedule is being worked.  I closed on Thanksgiving.  I closed on Christmas Eve.  I closed on New Years Eve.  And now I've closed on Superbowl Sunday.

It's almost like management wants to have a guy at the registers on holiday closings.  Like, maybe, I'm just a little more imposing than the other cashiers could be, just because I'm six foot two and male.  Instead of female.

It makes sense to me.  No reason for management not to take advantage of their staff, for whatever reason.

And that's why I've been E&T.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2007, 01:25:16 PM »

Love is a freebie tasting slice from the deli department.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #275 on: February 05, 2007, 01:25:35 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~~~~~~~~~~~Strong coping vibes for DR Elmore3003~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/color][/move]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #276 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »

Love is knowing exactly when to slam the door shut on someone's fingers.

Tomovoz

« Reply #277 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:41 PM »

Lolita's "Sailor" was also a major pop hit. (Petula Clark had an English language version of the song. She also sang "Ya Ya Twist".  connections connexions.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #278 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:59 PM »

Love is veal, veal is love.

Tomovoz

« Reply #279 on: February 05, 2007, 01:28:33 PM »

What is this thing called, Love?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #280 on: February 05, 2007, 01:28:48 PM »

BTW, I love, absolutely LOVE, the end credits for the second season of Doctor Who, now on DVD, because it's been re-recorded by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, and it's the full theme and it is FANTASTIC!!!  Gimme them tympani, them horns, them strings!!!  It's wild, it's epic, it's an earfull of wonder!!!  I'm happy!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #281 on: February 05, 2007, 01:30:11 PM »

Love is knowing exactly when to slam the door shut on someone's fingers.
This explains a lot about your singleness.

Tomovoz

« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »

What! Now? My love.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #283 on: February 05, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »

Life in Ohio is one state of anxiety!  I feel like I'm on a roller coaster and I don't like it.  Right now, things look good after the panic of yesterday.

My dad's in hospital but his lungs look okay from the x-ray, he's on IV and loooking much better, and I guess my stress level can calm down.  I may be able to accomplish what I have already scheduled here before I go, I hope, and I owe a lot of it to those HHW vibes and such wonderful caring people.

Before I get too gushy and sentimental, I think I'll send our DR MBarnum some evil emails.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #284 on: February 05, 2007, 01:32:32 PM »

"My Way" did Ok with English lyrics by Mr Anka.

"Seasons in The Sun" has done well too. Why I don't know.

"If You Go Away".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #285 on: February 05, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »

What is this thing called, Love?

What? Is this thing called love?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #286 on: February 05, 2007, 01:35:39 PM »

More and more Vibes to you and yours Larry.
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #287 on: February 05, 2007, 01:35:48 PM »

DR MATTHEW - any online photos to peruse?

I don't know what might be on the website.  I'm out of that loop (for Pippin as I'm just playing keyboards.  If anything comes up, I'll be sure and post something.  The group is Foothill Music Theatre based out of Foothill College in Los Altos, CA.  I don't know what they have on the web.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #288 on: February 05, 2007, 01:37:14 PM »

I think Judi Dench does wonderfully as Desiree on her A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC cast album, but the actor playing Hernrick is so unbearably awful that I don't end up listening much to that recording.

I agree that the two "Glamorous Life" songs don't pair well together nor do I like "My Husband the Pig" and "In Praise of Women" paired together. "In Praise of Women" is one of my favorite songs in the score.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #289 on: February 05, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »

Horror stories from DR SWW....but so typical of some customers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #290 on: February 05, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »

Did anyone else pre-order their Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour set?  It includes the LONG version of the premiere not seen since it first aired.

Is it out now or is it coming out soon? Just for the Tallulah Bankhead hour, the set would be worth it.

I didn't know it was out. Thanks for mentioning it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #291 on: February 05, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

Nice stuff here, DR MATTHEW!   ;D

http://www.foothill.edu/fa/pippin/

Matthew

« Reply #292 on: February 05, 2007, 01:41:32 PM »

Some foriegn recordings that I particularly enjoy:

The Spanish cast recording of Mamma Mia which is quite fun
The German cast recordings of Sunset Blvd and The Phantom of the Opera

Also, Sarah Brightman's recordings of "Piano" - the Italian version of "Memory" and "Guardami" the Italian version of "With One Look" - far superior to their orignals, IMHO.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2007, 01:41:45 PM »

Is it out now or is it coming out soon? Just for the Tallulah Bankhead hour, the set would be worth it.

I didn't know it was out. Thanks for mentioning it.

Up for pre-orders....a March release!  ;D

Matthew

« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:19 PM »

Nice stuff here, DR MATTHEW!   ;D

http://www.foothill.edu/fa/pippin/

Wow, who knew?  Thanks DR JRand!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #295 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:39 PM »

Pippin hisseff seems to be very....mature.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »

This explains a lot about your singleness.

As I am not the least bit sorry to be "single", I can assure you with all the earnestness and sincerity I can muster that I consider myself quite fortunate.

I've no regrets in the fact that I am free to be me and not part of a "we."

And thanks for the reminder:  Your remark is exactly what I had in mind when I wrote that post!  Hee-hee!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:03:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2007, 01:48:20 PM »

Stop fighting, you're both pretty.

Matthew

uite
« Reply #298 on: February 05, 2007, 01:49:03 PM »

Pippin hisseff seems to be very....mature.

Quite the contrary.  People love him, I'm not a fan.  (I hope he doesn't read this!!)  I'm not a fan of the leading player also.  The MD loves Pippin and the Leading Player, I guess that's all that matters.  I just play the piano.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »

Stop fighting, you're both pretty.

No, it's YOU who are the pretty one.

Will you be shaving for the Saturday event...are will you be going as "a beard"?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17   Go Up