Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A MELLOW MOOD  (Read 45686 times)

FJL

Re:IN A MELLOW MOOD
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »

And one for mellow

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »

Next came last night's STUDIO 60, a frustrating episode with a lot of talk and much of it pointless. Matt and Harriet - will this ever be over? The revelation from Jordan to Danny about her feelings - oh, so cute. Couldn't she have just talked it out face to face? Oh, not enough drama or cutsey-poo stuff. And the entire Korean cellist storyline with the father actually able to speak English, argh! I got VERY irritated.

The entire snake-coyote plot was also run into the ground.

This should NEVER have been a two part episode. There wasn't really enough story for one hour, much less two.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »

Next, I watched the Blu-ray of OPEN SEASON, a CGI animated effort from Sony. The animation in high def was breathtaking; the movie was only OK. Naturally, its invention and humor can't hold a candle to even the least of the Pixar films, and in charm, I thought even last year's OVER THE HEDGE was better.

Matt H.

« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2007, 01:46:13 PM »

When the film was over, I watched some of the special features. I began with the animated short "Boog and Elliot's Midnight Bun Run," a fun little four minute short subject.

Next, there was a ten minute short on the voice cast for the film made up of some well-known names in the business: Martin Lawrence, Debra Messing, Ashton Kutcher. Billy Connelly, Gary Sinese (who was the best thing in the film).

And then there was a 15 minute "making of" featurette which explains the layering process in which one of these CGI animations gets made. OK information and a nice start to Sony's animation division.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2007, 01:47:58 PM »

A relative of mine who lives in Winnepeg, MB, had temps down to -40 and that is NOT the windchill.

Yes, some Canadians I know practically brag about how it gets to 40 below. But they also all go to Florida frequently.

Matt H.

« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »

In re Jennifer's question about AMERICAN IDOL, yes, tonight features the San Antonio auditions and tomorrow night is a clip show featuring the best and worst of the auditioning contestants. I will watch tonight but not tomorrow night.

I like the Hollywood round (next week) very much, but I never feel like it's given a fair shake. We have weeks of auditions, and only two nights to view the 100+ contestants who were deemed talented enough for the next round. I would like to see the coverage of this part of the competition upped and the audition rounds trimmed by a week. It's extremely frustrating not being able to hear some of the good singers before they're given the shaft.

Ginny

« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2007, 01:52:26 PM »

Well, I left work at 2:30pm and my usual 40-minute commute took me an hour and a half.  I was really feeling sorry for my coworkers who were scheduled to work 'til 9pm, but the Library's website just told me that all locations closed at 4:30.  Vibes that everybody gets home safely.

The snow is beautiful now that I can watch it from the comfort of my kitchen, where I just put a meat loaf in the oven.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »

David Letterman was a singer in 1962??  Who knew?

;)

Very good, GEORGE.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »

The topic may be too limited in appeal but DR MBarnum and myself would have no problem listing ten favourite instrumental hits of the 60's (excluding movie themes).

It was the decade for such music. Mike has already listed "Classical Gas".  

"Grazing in the Grass" is a gas...!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »

And don't forget about "The Cowsills"!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »

"Grazing in the Grass" is a gas...!
Mr Masekala was an excellent Grazer. He Groze with distinction.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »

I Shall list the Cowsills with my bigger list including the rain and the park and other things.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: February 06, 2007, 02:09:02 PM »

I need recommendations on two items:

1.  A good, non-oil, non-fragrant skin moisturizer (for my hands)

2.  A complete THE MAGIC FLUTE recording.

Re #1: Is there a Trader Joe's near you? Due to allergies, I'm always looking for unscented products. TJ's has an inexpensive moisturizer that is also unscented that is comparable with much more expensive brands. It's simply called Moisturizing Lotion--herbal blend with aloe. It's not at all greasy and is both an excellent product and an excellent value. Origins also has a nice unscented body lotion called Precipitation, but it's much more expensive.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: February 06, 2007, 02:11:22 PM »

All right, put your thinking caps on - we need uptempo songs for Joan Ryan's show - she's very strange about uptempo songs and feels they're all corny - until we find one that I can do something with to make it okay.  So, let's have some uptempo songs - they have to be known, not too chestnutty (unless you love it) and some should be from shows.

Knowing When To Leave
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #224 on: February 06, 2007, 02:15:25 PM »

Jack, the Leslie Uggams segment is VERY funny!!!

OMG!! :o I almost couldn't watch it because it was so embarrasingly funny! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but Barbara McNair died.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »

bk, you can bitch slap me from here to eternity, but I don't know who Joan Ryan is.  I am really bad with names and faces, voices, etc...   Anyhow, what kind of "person" is she?  Is she a Merman type and sometime more subtle?  That would help in trying to think of up-beat songs.

I just ordered her new album out of support for Kritzerland.  After her "Meadowlark" on the Strouse/Schwartz & Schwartz recording, I am reticent.  Oh, yes, I am reticent.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »

Well...one of MY favorite UP Tempo songs, that I love to see/hear live is:

RUMBLE

A song Frank Loesser wrote for Betty Hutton - and a more up tempo persona there NEVER was!

In Christopher Isherwood's diaries, he says the Hollywood gossip on Betty Hutton is that she'd be a nymphomaniac if they could slow her down.

George

« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2007, 02:23:01 PM »

...Just watching "Oprah" right now, and they showed a preview for tomorrow's show:

This Is the Year to Declutter Your Life!

And the special guest will be Peter Walsh.  -How timely.

Hmm...maybe I should record this. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »

...And the "sad" part, is that she actually knew the words during the dress rehearsal.

However, my "favorite" Capitol Fourth moment was when Patti LuPone was singing and Henry Mancini was conducting.  Well, Mr. Mancini started the song off a bit slow...  And the look on Ms. LuPone's face...  YIKES!

During the "Kiri Sings Gershwin" Ms Te Kanawa kept complaining that Nelson Riddle conducted her "Blue skies" album too slowly.  I listened to it on Sunday and liked his tempi.  He died shortly after completing the recording.  I'm convinced the evil bitch killed him.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2007, 02:28:59 PM »

Hmm...maybe I should record this. ;)

I must confess I don't know from Peter Walsh.  I thought it was "John Walsh" and figured decluttering my life would include programming out all his hyper-self-serving programming (yes, I'm aware he started his crime-busting after his own son was abducted-murdered...but a little John Walsh goes a very long way).

I see that Peter Walsh is an Ozzie.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »

DR Dan(the Man), you're on your own for moisturizer, but I know and love the MAGIC FLUTE.  By recording, do you mean CD or DVD?  My favorite DVD is the film made by Ingmar Bergman, and my second favorite of a stage performance is this one with the late great Lucia Popp.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2007, 02:33:04 PM »

Now, as to CD, my favorite recording is Beernard Haitink's with the late great Lucia Popp.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2007, 02:34:04 PM »

This recording using authentic period instruments is also quite wonderful.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »

From the sublime Mozart to my daily health update: this morning, the oncologist signed off on my dad and told him that he should begin hospice care.  I am dealing all right but quite melancholic over the fact that my time with him is at a premium.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »

Perhaps you could send me that moose DERBRUCER invited in?

My dear he is on his way....

You are rigiht is how you dress and the knowledge that goes into it. Ironically, a gift I got as a high school graduation present at the time I thought it was odd until winter came. God was I thankful for the LONGJOHNS!!! NDSU is a large spread out campus.

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2007, 02:42:30 PM »

All right, put your thinking caps on - we need uptempo songs for Joan Ryan's show - she's very strange about uptempo songs and feels they're all corny - until we find one that I can do something with to make it okay.  So, let's have some uptempo songs - they have to be known, not too chestnutty (unless you love it) and some should be from shows.

Here are my Sondheim recommendations (I can't remember if any of these have already been mentioned...and I don't know what you mean by "chestnutty"):

Ah! But Underneath
Another Hundred People
Being Alive
Broadway Baby
Everybody Says Don't
The Girls of Summer
Make the Most of Your Music
Marry Me a Little
The Miller's Son
That Dirty Old Man
You Could Drive a Person Crazy
What More Do I Need?

And what about "If You Hadn't But You Did" (not by Sondheim)?

George

« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2007, 02:45:38 PM »

Here are my Sondheim recommendations (I can't remember if any of these have already been mentioned...and I don't know what you mean by "chestnutty"):...

Okay, I just looked up that usage of "chestnut" (not the actual nut definition):  An old, frequently repeated joke, story, or song.

Alrighty, then. ::)

I don't care...I love them all! ;D

« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:52:14 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2007, 02:54:00 PM »

I'm a fan of Shikai's Borage Dry Skin Therapy Hand Cream.  I usually pick it up at the Whole Foods - or Whole Body if you have one of the separate beauty products stores in your area.  Trader Joe's actually used to carry it before they developed their own hand cream - see DR Jeanne's post above.  -I also like the their Body Lotion and Foot Cream too.

As for The Magic Flute, there is the classic Klemperer Set on EMI:

But I'm also a fan of the recent one William Christie set that DR elmore recommended earlier.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

DR Elmore - I have forgotten the answer if I even asked it! Is "Songs Of New York" available On CD?
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up