Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITTEN ON THE WIND  (Read 43426 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:WRITTEN ON THE WIND
« Reply #270 on: March 15, 2007, 02:24:23 PM »

I drink 2-4 cups of coffee in the morning with a bit of honey

Doesn't that make your coffee kind of...chewy?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #271 on: March 15, 2007, 02:24:25 PM »

Shall now do a couple of errands and perhaps get some lunch.

Edisaurus

« Reply #272 on: March 15, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »

I would think that would be when one would start needing one.   ;)

My thoughts exactly, signdaw! LOL!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #273 on: March 15, 2007, 02:27:25 PM »

I certainly agree about THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA not being appropriate for a five year old. I think she'd be bored stiff. It's very much adult stuff, and I'm sure all the Italian scenes done in Italian would quickly confuse her.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #274 on: March 15, 2007, 02:29:13 PM »

I don't have the picture here on my office computer any more but when we went to England in 2003 we ate dinner at a place around the corner from our flat and I had many servings of "spotted dick"

Any "Toad in the Hole"?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #275 on: March 15, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Awww.... Eartha Kitt just said, "Thank You, Darlin'" to me.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #276 on: March 15, 2007, 02:35:40 PM »

I actually think Clara's episodes in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA would be too frightful for a five year old.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: March 15, 2007, 02:35:51 PM »

And I think I actually may be done for they day too... I just need to check in with the stage manager to see who needs to go where for the last hour of rehearsal.  Otherwise, I think I'm going to pack up, and get ready to head out.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #278 on: March 15, 2007, 02:37:06 PM »

I actually think Clara's episodes in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA would be too frightful for a five year old.

Although, when David Burnham takes off his shirt.... I'm pretty sure DR MBarnum would like that.  *And since David has a nicer body that Matthew Morrison, and since the tour is staged for a proscenium house, there's more "flesh time" as it were.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #279 on: March 15, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »

A propos yesterday's nefarious Gypsy clip, so courteously provided by DR Ben...

What other classic stage numbers have you seen abused by a directorial conceit gone awry?

This isn't so much a number gone awry, but a whole show gone horribly wrong.  Former DR Jenny posted THIS story about her experience in a production of The Sound of Music (I've reposted this a couple of times, but it deserves to be repeated...again ;)):

I was in a production of "The Sound Of Music" at a Long Island performing arts camp.  I was thrilled to be cast as Mother Abyss (Very unconventional casting, if you ask me.  My last name is Weinbloom!  I don't make a very convincing Catholic.), and it seemed from fairly early on that this would be a very good production.  Two weeks before we were supposed to open, the head of the theatre department came into our rehearsal studio to tell the cast that the very Jewish philanthropists of the camp had complained that nice Jewish girls were being "forced" to play nuns (No mention of the little Jewish boys who were playing Nazis!).  Our director, in all his brilliance, came up with a 'logical' solution for this problem: Get rid of the nuns.  Of course, the entire cast was outraged, but especially the poor nuns who not only were losing valuable stage time but also their one chance to act like shiksas!  When I asked the director why the philanthropists were so upset, he simply said "Well, the Catholics have done some terrible things to the Jews over the years..."  And the Nazis haven't?!  With each passing day, different aspects of our characters and the show in general were stripped away.  First, we were told that we wouldn't be allowed to cross ourselves.  Eventually, we also lost the right to kneel or hold our hands in a religious manner.  When we got our costumes, they were simple black dresses.  No habits, no crosses, nothing remotely religious.  Instead of referring to Maria's home in the begining of the show as the "Abby", we were forced to call it the "School".  Two days before the show, we were asked not to sing the opening in Latin, but rather on a simple "Lalala".  On the final cast list that was put in the program, the nun ensemble was referred to as "Singing Spiritual Women".

It was very, very sad.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: March 15, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »

Here's a sampling as it were:

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #281 on: March 15, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »

I began my Lucy-Desi experience with the Havana themed episode loaded with guest stars: Ann Sothern, Rudy Vallee, Cesar Romero. I enjoyed Cesar's performance a lot, and it was nice to see Ann Sothern again even though she was really starting to get heavy at this time and had her weight camouflaged by black dresses and having rails and flower pots and tables placed at her waist level.

I've never been an admirer of Rudy Vallee, and by 1957, I don't think he was exactly in the top tier of stars any more and hadn't been for at least 10 years. Too bad Lucy/Desi couldn't have gotten Xavier Cugat for that spot, or anyone with something of a musical career still going at that point.

With the increased clarity of these shows (and they look fabulous, by the way), you can see bad paint jobs  on some of the sets, and the backdrops are all too obvious now.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #282 on: March 15, 2007, 02:41:06 PM »

And another one:

Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #283 on: March 15, 2007, 02:41:28 PM »

THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH (ugh!)

Why do so many people hate this movie? I always end up watching it if I see it on air. It certainly didn't deserve Best Picture...and I don't think I like it enough to call it a guilty pleasure, but I still enjoy it!

I got my copy of SECONDS and a bunch of other stuff from DeepDiscount. As if I'll ever get to watch any of them... :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: March 15, 2007, 02:42:52 PM »

...And I have to say, that not only does David actually look (more) Italian than Matthew Morrison and Aaron Lazar (who played Fabrizio on Broadway), but he also sings the songs most beautifully, and in the original, higher keys too!

*He did understudy Fabrizio on Broadway, but I never saw him go on.  But I did hear him sing the songs a few times in various concerts.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #285 on: March 15, 2007, 02:44:31 PM »

Next, I watched the Tallulah Bankhead episode. She steals every scene she's in, and is the whole show for my money. Yes, Lucy does the usual slapstick antics which end up turning out OK for everyone involved, but Tallu was fabu!

Too bad no one ever thought up a comedy series premise for her. She seems to have been a naturally funny, witty woman, and after this guest star appearance, an enterprising producer should have been able to come up with something first rate for her.

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: March 15, 2007, 02:45:31 PM »

And another one:

Yes, he's gorgeous, all right. No question about that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #287 on: March 15, 2007, 02:47:04 PM »

This isn't so much a number gone awry, but a whole show gone horribly wrong.  Former DR Jenny posted THIS story about her experience in a production of The Sound of Music (I've reposted this a couple of times, but it deserves to be repeated...again ;)):

The "Mother Abyss", eh!   :D

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #288 on: March 15, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »

Why do so many people hate this movie? I always end up watching it if I see it on air. It certainly didn't deserve Best Picture...and I don't think I like it enough to call it a guilty pleasure, but I still enjoy it!

I just find it a hammy, overproduced melodrama. And DeMille's hokey narration doesn't help matters.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: March 15, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »

Doesn't that make your coffee kind of...chewy?

Did I say I put the candy in the cup?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #290 on: March 15, 2007, 02:48:41 PM »

...And I have to say, that not only does David actually look (more) Italian than Matthew Morrison and Aaron Lazar (who played Fabrizio on Broadway), but he also sings the songs most beautifully, and in the original, higher keys too!

*He did understudy Fabrizio on Broadway, but I never saw him go on.  But I did hear him sing the songs a few times in various concerts.

Actually, in my experience, there is no "Italian" look that would definitively place one of those actors above the other.  The guy in the posted photos looks more Sicilian than Florentine, although nothing says the look isn't authentic to Florence.  I'm just saying I've seen two of them, and both could pass for Italian.

The guy who was Fabrizio in the PBS production, whoever he was, was fabulous from my perspective.  I'd love to see all of them do the different numbers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 02:52:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: March 15, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »

Any "Toad in the Hole"?

Don't I own the videocassette?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #292 on: March 15, 2007, 02:49:17 PM »

Speaking of cheap European hotels, there was this little mom and pop hotel I stayed in once in Padua, Italy. They had the MOST WONDERFUL hot chocolate!!! It was like liquid fudge!

Brrr! I still truly appreciate hot water.

Have you had that Starbuck's hot chocolate that came in the little cup? Can't remember the name of it, (Chantico?) and I don't think they sell it any more, or maybe it's just seasonal, but you can buy something similar from Marie Belle on line: Aztec hot chocolate.  I have a client who loves this so it makes shopping for him easy.

As for the hot water...some of the places I've stayed in Europe had hot water for showers; you just had to pay a little extra for it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #293 on: March 15, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »

I got my copy of SECONDS and a bunch of other stuff from DeepDiscount. As if I'll ever get to watch any of them... :-\

I'm with you, Amy...I love "The Greatest Show on Earth."  It's very entertaining on all levels.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #294 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »

Don't I own the videocassette?

Wasn't that "Toed in the Hole" in your collection?

Edisaurus

« Reply #295 on: March 15, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »

That sounds about right - for stuffed goat!

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!

FJL

« Reply #296 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »

Goat Cuisine - that's the name of something, isn't it?

:)

Edisaurus

« Reply #297 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:37 PM »

I just find it a hammy, overproduced melodrama. And DeMille's hokey narration doesn't help matters.

Absolutely! I can't resist it, being as how "I Know Drama"!

I love the hokey narration, too! It's all cheesy and fun.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #298 on: March 15, 2007, 02:54:17 PM »

You know, Amy, another 1950s Best Picture that people pee on is "Around the World in 80 Days" and I find it a totally beautiful, fast-paced and fun film.  It has brilliant photography and a glorious score by Victor Young.  It's total theatrical candy....the good stuff, too!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »

Wasn't that "Toed in the Hole" in your collection?

You own it, too?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up