Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO AND DISH  (Read 21785 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TIVO AND DISH
« on: January 04, 2004, 12:03:27 AM »

Notes read, hence time for posts to be posted.  So, let's go postal and post until the cows come home, shall we?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 12:02:57 AM by bk »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:TIVO AND DISH
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 12:17:04 AM »

Good evening all.
Just watched LOTR #1.  Last night we watched the Hobbit, the old cartoon version.  Tomorrow is LOTR #2, and Monday we see the movie again in the theaters.  Get the pattern? :)  We were going to do it all in one day, but we lack the movie watching stamina.  
Today was an excellent day.  We got sun, we got beach time, and Tiana seemed to be in a much better mood.  In fact I'm noticing that the closer we get to going home, the happier she is...I'm a regular Sherlock Homles, aren't I? :)
Hey, am I a Sr. Member now?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 12:18:04 AM »

Woohoo!  I am, I am!  And first post of the day to boot.  Oh the cleverness of me.  Well, things seem to be slowing down for the night here, so I think I'll toddle off to bed.  Goodnight!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 12:18:52 AM »

I have little knowledge of Tivo or of Dish.

I do know what goes on in our house.  We generally leave the television in the living room on at all times.  This makes it look like someone is either in the house, or leaving the television on all the time, I'm not sure which.

The arguement is about what station to leave on so continually.  Der Brucer leaves it at Fox News.  I am more inclined towards the Food Network.  Either way, it's lots of talk and lots of annoyance, the difference being between being annoyed by Bill O'Reilly or Emeril Lagasse.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 12:19:23 AM »

Prepare for "senior's moments" DR Ann.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 12:21:12 AM »

A question for DR Ann, when she returns: are you watching the original theatrical releases of LOTR, or the extended versions on DVD?  I really do prefer the yummilicious extended versions, myself.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 12:24:13 AM »

Finished my Christmas celebrating today. Long and traditional story. A group of friends (of decades standing) now celebrates Christmas - presents and all - the first week of the New Year when there are no family and work pressures. We have a terrific time. I put the Christmas tree away tomorrow! We gave up satelite TV a few months ago. All those channels we never watch.  The dish remains. A chance to once again plug the Oz movie "The Dish".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 02:15:37 AM »

I was most errant and truant yesterday.  I took my niece to see two movies, "A House of Fog and Sand" and "Cold Mountain."  Both were very good movies...I don't doubt that most, if not all of the leads and several supporting actors/actresses will be Golden Globe and Oscar nominated.  Both movies were quite depressing, :'( but the stories were very well told and worth it.  Oh, and on the way home afterwards the ice was so bad on the freeway that it took 1 hour and 45 mintues to go 30 miles!  Also, I saw proof that this site is the most popular on the Internet:  a license place where the last three letters were "HHW"!  Even on Washington plates! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 02:30:38 AM »

Yesterday's topic:  in my CD player (before I left for the movies): the BK produced "Everyone Has a Story:  The Songs of Adryan Russ."  Also two CDs that I got in the mail yesterday (through eBay):  the BK produced "The MGM Album" by Debbie Gravitte and the original Broadway cast album of Thou Shalt Not written by Harry Connick, Jr.  It stars Craig Bierko, Kate Levering, Debra Monk and Norbert Leo Butz (those are the only names that I recognize.)

Along with the eBay package (those two CDs were from the same seller), I received from Amazon.com a CD by Lorraine Feather called "New York City Drag."  If you like The Manhattan Transfer and Thomas "Fats" Waller, you'll love this CD.  I haven't listened to the whole thing, but I love what I've heard.  She took a recording of Fats Waller's piano pieces and wrote lyrics to them all.  Quite good.  If you don't know who she is, among other recordings that she's released, she was the third voice with Janis Siegel and Cheryl Bentyne (of The Manhattan Transfer) singing "Back In Business" (Sondheim's version...not Madonna's) in the movie "Dick Tracy."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 02:33:10 AM »

Lastly, since others have posted pictures of marquees, the only one that I have was of a show that I saw in London two years ago (starring the WSMA!):

George

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 02:40:49 AM »

And (really) finally:  WELCOME BACK WFO!

And WELCOME NEW DEAR READERS (that's "DR" in HHW lingo)

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 05:14:53 AM »

BK, I get the Goodlife network through my Comcast Digital cable.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 06:26:32 AM »

Another night of not sleeping (or sleeping very little). Soon I'll be walking around like one of the undead.
Left a play at intermission last night. Hate to do that to live actors, but it was a full house and I'm sure nobody noticed. Tennessee Williams badly done is really painful.
As I'm up, might as well feed my lucky dog early, then maybe I'll try getting back into bed.

MBarnum

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2004, 07:06:35 AM »

I slept ok, other then strange dreams that I started working at Bi-Mart (a department store I worked at for many years prior to my going to work for the state), but I woke up at the un-goshly hour of 4:30! I cuddled with Freddy for awhile and finally got up at 5am.

Now I am doing laundrey and other household chores. Soon I will call and awaken my buddy Mark and hopefully meet him for pancakes!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2004, 07:25:29 AM »

A question for DR Tomovoz. I pretty well slept through the Peter Allen era and, only since seeing and listening to The Boy From Oz, have come to admire his work. What is Peter Allen's stature in Australia these days? There are two songs on the CD (one of them a bonus track) that are Australia-specific: "I Still Call Australia Home"; and "Tenterfield Saddler" (the bonus track; it should have been in the show, in my humble opinion). Are they considered national treasures?

And for DR MBarnum: When you go out for pancackes (pancake houses are not a big deal here; but pancakes at home are), do you get pure maple syrup?

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2004, 07:27:35 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto, LOL, I go for the maple syrup, yes! I love pancakes at home, but I don't do a good job of cooking them. My dad was the best at making pancakes...he would add beer and corn! Yum!

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2004, 07:35:43 AM »

Ha MBarnum: BK tricked you into wanting pancakes!

And now I want them too! :(

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2004, 07:39:24 AM »

Carrie Bradshaw's Final Reckoning: The last episodes of HBO's Sex & The City start tonight!

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/04/arts/television/04NUSS.html

Okay this article is going to make me cry I'm sure.  Why don't we have HBO in Canada?  If anyone tapes Sex & the City, I would literally send you my right arm (with diamond rings attached :))to be able to see these episodes now (instead of in 3-4 months when they air in Canada).

Oh and good morning everyone.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2004, 07:43:03 AM »

I wish I could help out with the TiVo questions, but I don't have it. My digital video recorder is a recorder/DVD player combination with an 80 gig hard drive. I still have to program my digital cable box which shows I want to record and tell the DVR when to turn on to catch those shows.

One more day of mild temperatures (71 forecast for today), and then we enter the deep freeze. Going to be hard to leave spring behind!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2004, 07:45:06 AM »

I must also remember to check our digital cable lineup for the GoodLife network. Seems like we DO get it, but I won't swear to it. There are SO many channels out there, and I just have too many DVDs here that are begging to be watched.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2004, 07:45:50 AM »

Good morning!

Well, I didn't get up as early as I had planned, but now that I am up, I'm realizing there was really not that much for me to do before today's final shows.  Usually I spend this type of morning getting all my stuff together at my parents' house so that I can make the big "move" back down to Richmond, but since I have rehearsal tomorrow - thus I won't be heading back to Richmond until Thursday - I don't have too much bringing in the sheaves to do right now.  So, instead, I post.

However, I would like to bring some treats in today for the cast, and I need to think of which bakery/treat-ery I want to stop at on the way in this afternoon.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2004, 07:46:17 AM »

DR Jose wrote (last night):
DR Jennifer - RE: Y&R - Sharon accidentally killed somebody!?!?!??  And she dragged his body across town?!?!?!?!?  HA!!  Doesn't the Newman clan have enough to deal with right now with Nicholas' "betrayal"?  *I haven't seen the show since before Christmas - they were arresting "the moustache".  I guess I have a bit of catching up to do.  And starting next week I can do just that!  A truly guilty pleasure!

Yes Sharon hit Cameron (the creep guy from when she skipped town) over the head with a bottle (he was beating her up again).  

Oops, I just realized something.  Not that anyone else here on HHW watches Y&R. But in Canada we get it one day early. So the dragging around town only happens on Monday's US show I believe.  But it's funny, since she probably weighs like 100 lbs!

One really devastating happened since X-mas. Heather Tom (Victoria) left the show (just as she was about to start a romance with my fav, Michael Baldwin).

Btw, I know it's only a soap. But I do love it (oh and if you need to catch up, email me and I'll fill you in on everything you missed).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2004, 07:47:24 AM »

DR MBarnum - Hmm.. When I read about you cuddling up with Freddy, I started to get jealous!  Well, I'm still jealous of Freddy! Lucky... cat.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2004, 08:02:35 AM »

And DR td - Thanks for whipping out your Karmaliscious Wand.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2004, 08:03:01 AM »

I started reading the proposals book last night.  It's funny but only one made me teary.  This guy made his girlfriend go to different locations (where they first dated) on sort of a scavenger hunt.

But it wasn't that part of it that made me weepy.  She had told him that she only wanted to receive a dozen red roses when a guy loved her enough to propose. So at each "station" there were a few roses. And at the end he had the 12th. That part of it just made me cry (but happy).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2004, 08:05:31 AM »

As for pancakes... Hmmm... It's been a while since I've had some...  And at this point and time, I won't be having any until I get up to NYC in just 10 days!  Wow!  It really is just 10 days away!!!

*I'm still waiting for one set of tickets to arrive via the USPS.  I called Tele-charge last night, and they gave me the "back up" plan, should it turn out they were lost in the mail.  But back to more important matter... Pancakes!

When I was on the road - or at least near a location - I loved going to Perkins and getting pancakes.  I'm actually very fond of their version of potato pancakes - it's kind of like a very-oversized hash-brown patty - well, THREE very-oversized hash-brown patties.  Hmm... Could that be why I put on weight while I was on the road?  Nah! ;)  I also like their trio of syrups.

In NYC, I've had pancakes at assorted diners, as well as the overpriced, but very light and dee-lish, ones at Sarabeth's.

In Richmond, there's Aunt Sarah's which has good pancakes - when there are good cooks in the kitchen.  I used to go there at 3:00 in the morning and get their potato pancakes - which were more like latkes - and not a bad version of latkes.  I'm also partial to the blueberry pancakes at Third Street Diner - and they always use fresh blueberries in season.  I miss the "hotcakes" at the now closed John & Norman's - such a good, cheap breakfast.

Growing up, my dad used to make some pretty tasty pancakes, and he would always have the small saucepan warming on a burner with syrup and butter in it.  My friend, Steve, makes some pretty good pancakes too.  Hmmm...

-At least I've had my eggs and ham for the morning, so all this talk of pancakes isn't making me too crazy.

And I'm still "amazed" that Bisquick makes very good pancakes.  I have tried some "from scratch" recipes, with my favorites being an oatmeal-apricot variation, and a sourdough-blueberry recipe that was one of the first recipes I ever remember coming across.

OH!  -Such memories...  I think I may have mentioned this before...  I would take day old pancakes - or even hours old pancakes - slather them in butter, and then put them in the toaster oven.  A few "light toast" cycles later, and voila!  Crispy and buttery!  And sooooo not healthy... Ah, well...  Oh, and sometimes I would put sugar on them too and end up "brulee-ing" them - of course, I didn't know what "brulee" meant at that time in my culinary life.

OK - I need to stop...  Next topic?  Maple Syrup?  Grade A or Grade B?

-Myself, I'm a grade B fan.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2004, 08:06:19 AM »

If you can track it down, there is a lovely version of Peter Allen's autobiographical song about the Saddler, done by Olivia Newton-John and Peter himself.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2004, 08:09:08 AM »

For those of you who may remember such things:

If you could "pinch an inch," were you supposed to join the Metrical for Lunch Bunch, or was it a Special K ad?

Amazing what the mind dredges up in the middle of the night, isdn't it?!?!?!?!! ???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 08:09:43 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2004, 08:09:08 AM »

DR Jennifer-

OH - Do we need to put "Y&R Talk" at the top of our posts now?  ;)

Has Heather Tom really left the show?  Or is her character just taking one of those "vacations" that soap opera characters seem to take?  And do you think that she'll come back as Britney Spears?  hehe...

And where's Billy now, Heather's really cute brother?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2004, 08:14:08 AM »

DR Kerry - I believe "pinch an inch" was for Special K.  And thinking back, I still don't think that made Special K more of a "man's cereal" - it always had a very feminine appeal - and I think it was marketed toward women initially anyway, wasn't it?

And since that commercial campaign started when I was in grade school, all of us "kids" going around pinching each other's inch - or inches.  -Hmm... Don't go there, TCB!  I even think that due to some repeated "teasing" from my cousin, Richard, I - and my parents - had thought I had developed some sort of kidney or stomach condition.  But, it was just a bruise from all the pinching.  Oy vey!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up