Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS VERY DAY  (Read 57905 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THIS VERY DAY
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2007, 10:27:37 AM »

I like Dan the Man's definition of an exploitation film - and classic exploitation films seem to have disappeared completely after the 80s, when Corman really stopped distributing them.   Lurid subject matter (no matter what genre), on the cheap, ads that made the most of the luridness, played a week then gone.

Russ Meyer made exploitation films.  Roger Corman made them.  AIP lived on them.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2007, 10:30:26 AM »

travel vibes to Mbarnum!

Travel vibes to MusicGuy!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2007, 10:32:05 AM »

Well, DR DearReaderLaura, my numbers are "pharmaceutically-enhanced."

;D  At least it's working, and I hope without any side effects.

Ginny

« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »

Nice job. Now you can be  "Super-size the Fries, Please" Ginny

der Brucer

Well, at least I don't have to feel too guilty about eating some of the

Ballreich's Marcelled Potato Chips

that one of my Friday panelists had her husband bring at the end of our program.  Each speaker got a box containing 2 1-lb bags of chips that had just come off the production line at the plant there in Tiffin.

I have no idea how the people who were flying back to Texas, New Jersey, and Washington, DC, that night handled those boxes.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:41:05 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »

It's so nice when men appreciate mature women!

It sure is.  :)

There were loads of great looking women at my reunion.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »

DR Elmore:  Stop messing with the idiots.  Get your ducks lined up and take them to Small Claims Court.

The only competency question marks are clearly coming from THEM.

Your dad obviously knew well enough how ill-equipped and devious your brother (i.e. MacBeth) would be.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:40:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2007, 10:36:23 AM »

There were loads of great looking women at my reunion.

DRs Jane and PennyO among them!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »

Oh elmore, good vibes.  You might need to send certified mail for important documents.

My friend’s father was in the hospital & since her brother coerced their father into giving him power of attorney, the brother refuses to let the doctors give any information to the rest of the family.  This includes my friend’s daughter who is a doctor.

Jane

« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2007, 10:43:21 AM »

Ginny you are sweet.

Ginny

« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »

Off to get my haircut and do some other errands.

Bye for now!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »

That recent Quentin Tarantino movie GRINDHOUSE was a joke as far as being a throw-back to exploitation movies.  How could an exploitation movie cost as much to make, feature a cast like that and be so expensively publicized?  

The real joke is that the Meyer and Corman movies were a fraction of the budget and made a heck of a lot more cash.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »

Ah, families...

Ya gotta love 'em.

:)

singdaw

« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »

A play is like a dinner for six with Mozart playing, says Graciela Daniele.  A musical is like a chaotic Italian family dinner for 20, in the summer, at the beach.

!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »

DR Elmore, it royally sucks about how your family is behaving.  Keep things at a business level with them and bitch about them to us.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »

Keith’s brother has his faults, but he is honest & has integrity.  We have been back and forth on the phone & communicating while their mother is in the hospital.

He called us this morning after a difficult conversation with her & was upset she wasn’t making sense & accusing him of something last night that, of course, never happened.

We had a nice talk with her today about an hour later & got it all straightened out.  She had had a very realistic night mare.  I suspect the nurse was adjusting the IV & Mom was struggling.  In her imagination, and without her hearing aids on, she thought the nurses were laughing while hurting her & Keith’s brother was just watching.  

For once the brother’s aversion to hospitals worked to his advantage, it was easy to convince Mom that he was not there, would never stand by while someone abused her.  With that knowledge it was easier to convince her that the rest was a bad dream, or night terror.  It helps that she has found the nurses to be very nice

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2007, 10:56:06 AM »

WHACKOS FROM THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT

WASHINGTON POST

Saving the Earth: The Biodiesel Bus Blog
Sunday, April 22, 2007; D01

Singer Sheryl Crow and environmentalist Laurie David have been traveling across America on a two-week Stop Global Warming College Tour, which winds up today at George Washington University. Crow and David (co-producer of the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" and wife of "Curb Your Enthusiasm's" Larry David) have been touting their cause and chronicling their travels in a rather idiosyncratic blog. Here, on Earth Day, are a few excerpts:
Crow (4/19, Springfield, Tenn.): I have spent the better part of this tour trying to come up with easy ways for us all to become a part of the solution to global warming. Although my ideas are in the earliest stages of development, they are, in my mind, worth investigating. One of my favorites is in the area of forest conservation which we heavily rely on for oxygen. I propose a limitation be put on how many squares of toilet paper can be used in any one sitting. Now, I don't want to rob any law-abiding American of his or her God-given rights, but I think we are an industrious enough people that we can make it work with only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where 2 to 3 could be required.

Crow (4/19): I also like the idea of not using paper napkins, which happen to be made from virgin wood and represent the height of wastefulness. I have designed a clothing line that has what's called a "dining sleeve." The sleeve is detachable and can be replaced with another "dining sleeve," after usage. The design will offer the "diner" the convenience of wiping his mouth on his sleeve rather than throwing out yet another barely used paper product. I think this idea could also translate quite well to those suffering with an annoying head cold.
The cure is worse than the disease!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

singdaw

« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2007, 10:59:41 AM »

DR George, this song is also on Philip Quast: Live from the Donmar.

And of course, another song from The Glorious Ones, "Opposite You," is featured on Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley's duets album.

Jane

« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2007, 10:59:48 AM »

LOL-but she does have a point.  I'm sure if people were a bit more conservative with their use of toilet paper....every bit helps.

Jane

« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2007, 11:01:09 AM »

I should have stated, conservative with good quality paper.  Some of that stuff out there is almost useless unless a whole wad of the stuff is used. ;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »

Travel vibes to the fellas!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2007, 11:04:03 AM »

I should have stated, conservative with good quality paper.  Some of that stuff out there is almost useless unless a whole wad of the stuff is used. ;D

Thanks for the "descriptive" clarification!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »

Yes, the coprophilic and scatologic reign supreme today here at HHW! :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:45 AM »

I heard on the radio this morning that Karl Rove was at some function with Sheryl Crow and that they had a rather interesting verbal exchange.

Here is the STORY I found on it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:08:47 AM by Ron Pulliam »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:16 AM »

Your dad obviously knew well enough how ill-equipped and devious your brother (i.e. MacBeth) would be.

After 5 July 2006, he had no illusions at all!

DR MattH, have you checked out this site?

http://www.sho.com/site/tudors/home.do
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #174 on: April 23, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »

LOL-but she does have a point.  I'm sure if people were a bit more conservative with their use of toilet paper....every bit helps.

And women use more than men! So global warming is the Women's fault!

The entire problem of tree-loss due to paper consumption is easily remedied with replanting.

Paper products are bio-degradable.

Ms Crow's rediculous "dinner sleeve" suggestion would require laundering and all the energy that entails.

Want to reduce the use of fossil fuels - then stop using hot water! (A national ban on chain-saws, power mowers, and leaf blowers would help!)

Wonder if Ms Crow uses launderable sanitary napkins?

"BAN PAPER PRODUCTS" - try that slogan in rural Oregon!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #175 on: April 23, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »

Ron & DerBrucer  ;D ;D

Jane

« Reply #176 on: April 23, 2007, 11:16:09 AM »

elmore, how sad the date is forever in your brain.  I prefer to rid my mind of unhappy dates.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: April 23, 2007, 11:18:04 AM »

RE:  Last night's AMAZIN' RACE

***  SPOILERS   ***

I was surprised that it was Danny and Oswald who the Blondies made the Yield deal with, but then, really, who else could it have been?  But again, I'm surprised about the angst D&O put themselves through about the deal.  All that talk about Karma!  The Yield is a part of the game!  Do these people get upset about collecting rent money when they play Monopoly?

Didn't it seem that the editing was a little skewed against the Blondies?  The slightly catty remark to Mirna when she pulled up to the tall building ("Your hair looks nice!") and then showing the two of them going up to Eric & Danielle at the mat and blatantly lying about the Yield deal.  Mirna and Schmirna were shown to be only bitchy towards each other (well, Mirna was piling it on Charla, anyway...)

And it wasn't much of a leg last night, either.  Just the Detour, the Roadblock and then the Pit Stop.  But at least for once there wasn't an airport involved...

But what really yanked my chain last night was it being another non-elimination round.  I don't remember there ever being more than three non-elims in a race before.  It does make me suspicious of the producers manipulating the outcome as the race plays out.  And yeah--what would have happened if Eric and Danielle had come in last?  I guess we will never have the answer to that one.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #178 on: April 23, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »

The drywall man is finished. Now to the tileman!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »

DR Laura-congratulations on the completion of one more stage of the remodeling.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up