Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO POOPED TO POP  (Read 80413 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:TOO POOPED TO POP
« Reply #180 on: April 25, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »

My question of the day:  I have always capitalized the I when writing Internet.  Is that correct?  If so, why?  If not, why?  What is the most used form today?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »

TCB-GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO YOU AND THE SWEET KIDS! [/b] [/size]

Jane

« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2007, 11:20:40 AM »

Last night's photos were all wonderful! :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOEY!

Jane

« Reply #183 on: April 25, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »

Thank you to FJL, Jose, Ginny, and anyone else I may have missed, for the good  vibes.  However, please don't waste their power on me.  There are a lot of others here (Keith's mother, Dakota's dad, elmore vs. the macbeth's, Jane's travel, MusicGuy and MBarnum's travel, etc., etc., etc.) that need them more than I do.  

I will, however, gladly accept them for Angel and Nicky.

I'm sure we all have plenty of room in our hearts for all of these good vibes :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: April 25, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »

Back from my walk.

Most exhilarating.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2007, 11:36:50 AM »

My question of the day:  I have always capitalized the I when writing Internet.  Is that correct?  If so, why?  If not, why?  What is the most used form today?

According to one of the definitions on Dictionary.com:

Internet networking
(Note: capital "I"). The Internet is the largest internet (with a small "i") in the world. It is a three level hierarchy composed of backbone networks, mid-level networks, and stub networks. These include commercial (.com or .co), university (.ac or .edu) and other research networks (.org, .net) and military (.mil) networks and span many different physical networks around the world with various protocols, chiefly the Internet Protocol.
Until the advent of the World-Wide Web in 1990, the Internet was almost entirely unknown outside universities and corporate research departments and was accessed mostly via command line interfaces such as telnet and FTP. Since then it has grown to become an almost-ubiquitous aspect of modern information systems, becoming highly commercial and a widely accepted medium for all sort of customer relations such as advertising, brand building, and online sales and services. Its original spirit of cooperation and freedom have, to a great extent, survived this explosive transformation with the result that the vast majority of information available on the Internet is free of charge.
While the web (primarily in the form of HTML and HTTP) is the best known aspect of the Internet, there are many other protocols in use, supporting applications such as electronic mail, Usenet, chat, remote login, and file transfer.
There were 20,242 unique commercial domains registered with InterNIC in September 1994, 10% more than in August 1994. In 1996 there were over 100 Internet access providers in the US and a few in the UK (e.g. the BBC Networking Club, Demon, PIPEX).
There are several bodies associated with the running of the Internet, including the Internet Architecture Board, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, the Internet Engineering and Planning Group, Internet Engineering Steering Group, and the Internet Society.
See also NYsernet, EUNet.
The Internet Index - statistics about the Internet.
(2000-02-21)

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2007 Denis Howe
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »

Ron-Lucky you.  I want an exhilarating walk too.

George

« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »

And the term comes from 1986, "the linked computer networks of the U.S. Defense Department," shortened from internetwork, from inter- + network.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2007, 11:39:14 AM »

JRAND,

From my friend Dave, the UFO-watcher:

I was flying a single engine plane from
Columbus Ohio to the southern tip of Florida.  The incident occurred at
night.  Distances are very hard to judge at night so I really don't know how
close 'it' was.  It appeared as a very bright light moving on a path
parallel to ours.  We tried to report it to air traffic control but could
not communicate.  Our communications returned only after it had disappeared.
I don't really remember how long it was with us, but I will guess several
minutes at least.

Jane

« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »

Jeanne-Interesting.

singdaw

« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »

I want an exhilarating walk too.

So does Sherlock!    :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: April 25, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »

Depending on what you define as a UFO???

Aliens no....

Flying cows, yes
Unidentified flying objects sailing through the air at some unsuspecting person yes.... However they are later identified as things ranging from rubberbands to clothes to food...

BTW, any rumours of me being involved in food fights are wildly exaggerated!

Strangest flying object.....  Cow dung!

Oh, my, DAKOTA. You do live an interesting life!

Jane

« Reply #192 on: April 25, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »

Singdaw he sure does.  I'm still in my pajamas because as soon as I get dressed to leave he gets very excited. :'(

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: April 25, 2007, 11:48:13 AM »

Always works, DR GINNY.  Especially if you add "Now!!"

If I saw a UFO I think I'd NEED to use a convenience!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: April 25, 2007, 12:03:37 PM »

So it sounds like the capital I that I've always used is correct.  Is it what most people use, though?  I use it a lot in the new book, and I think I'll leave it the way I did it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »

Bruce,
I concur with most of what George's reference says. The Internet was actually called the ARPAnet for many years, after ARPA, the Advanced Research Projects Agency IIRC. (Der B, do you recall?) At that time it was private, but provided a means to communicate and pass files among the various Naval labs and many universities.

I have always capitalized the I. However, if you consult a number of style manuals on a given word or usage you will often find a divergence--each purporting to be the correct form. When I was manager of a technical publishing group my technical editor and I put together a style guide for our group, just so we'd have consistency. For your purposes, I'd say choose the form you prefer, then stick with it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:37 PM »

As for what most people use, you'll find little consistency. I have friends in Canada who call it the "'net". George's reference distinguishes between what we all think of as the Internet and other internets. From that standpoint, capitalize the "I".

George

« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2007, 12:10:28 PM »

So it sounds like the capital I that I've always used is correct.  Is it what most people use, though?  I use it a lot in the new book, and I think I'll leave it the way I did it.

I personally have always used the capital I for Internet, also. :)

Ben

« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2007, 12:13:33 PM »

I'm not most people but that's what I use. I think you're correct. You are your own style manual since you work for yourself. The Chicago Manual of Style says it it correct to capitalize Internet. If they do it in Chicago, you can do it in Los Angeles

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: April 25, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »

Any time I try to write Internet without the capital letter, Spell Check jumps all over me.  Of course, Spell Check also tells me that I am spelling my last name wrong; so, what do they know?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2007, 12:24:42 PM »

More HHW Hollywood photos:

Two of the nicest (DR Karen was on her best behavior!) HHWers...DR Karen and DR Cason (don't forget to watch his episode of THE OFFICE tomorrow night!)

George

« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »

TCB, you can always (should be able to) add your name to your spell check so that it knows that your name is spelled correctly. :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »

I really thought LaKisha was far and away the worst one last night.

She seems to have had a steady fall from "the one to beat" to now.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2007, 12:28:05 PM »

BK welcomes DR Adrianna Patti to the table. Before you all say " Hey, get a room," really, BK welcomed everyone to the table this way last night. In fact you should see the hickey he gave DR MusicGuy.

Jane

« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »

DR Jose, I don’t think Craig or I could hope with his knowingly driving without a license, or insurance, unless it was an emergency.  I will drive as far as I can, if we have to stop then at least we will be that much closer to our destination in the morning.  What time does it get dark back east these days?  I have to drive through the mountains!!  I will probably get carsick even if I’m driving.  How far into the drive do we reach the mountains, and when do we get out of them?

We need to get to Pittsburgh as quickly as possible to find him housing around the school.  It won’t be easy with a dog & I expect many of the places will be taken by then.  We need to try and find a doggie day care, hopefully get him a driver’s permit, etc.  I’m very anxious to get there & don’t look forward to even one more hotel.  If I can’t make it we will stop along the way.

Thanks for all you help.  I like knowing what I have gotten myself into.

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »

Here is the entire continget having various and sundried and lively conversations. The photo was taken by the most amazingly handsome staff person you ever laid eyes on (who I kept trying to get a photograph of until he wisely decided he had best get the camera away from me by suggesting he take a picture of our group)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »

Ron-Lucky you.  I want an exhilarating walk too.

Hie thee to a walking path!   :)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »

DR elmore I am very proud of you for skipping dessert last night.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »

Here is the entire continget having various and sundried and lively conversations. The photo was taken by the most amazingly handsome staff person you ever laid eyes on (who I kept trying to get a photograph of until he wisely decided he had best get the camera away from me by suggesting he take a picture of our group)
.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/12/00A/2B/5E/15/44/+9e1qzXBvuugg8r4wETXb4nEkFBYSx300300.jpg[/img]

Did you get through the evening with your virtue "intact"?  

;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 12:34:56 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »

TCB, you can always (should be able to) add your name to your spell check so that it knows that your name is spelled correctly. :)

Oh, I know, George; but I enjoy the abuse.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up