Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FAIRY PIPER  (Read 82159 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE FAIRY PIPER
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2007, 12:13:37 PM »

*Alas, someone near and dear to me dressed up as a lawn jockey for Halloween one year.  Needless to say, it was a very questionable choice of costume.

Took his costuming cues from Prince Harry!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2007, 12:20:31 PM »

MAJOR CRIME BUSTS IN PHILLY!

PHILADELPHIA  —  They never saw it coming.

City inspectors shut down more than a dozen psychics, astrologers and tarot-card readers after learning about a decades-old state law that bans fortune telling for profit.

Inspectors did not make arrests or issue fines, "but they will if these people try to return to work," said Dominic E. Verdi, deputy commissioner of the city Department of Licenses and Inspections.

Verdi said the law, on the books for more than 30 years, makes fortunetelling "for gain or lucre" a third-degree misdemeanor.

der Brucer

Isn't "Lucre" a BK singer?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »

??? Does Greg know? :-X

For the dog...and for my viewing entertainment!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:54 PM »

Edisaurus

« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2007, 12:33:31 PM »

I think we know a couple of those people

What??? I am allowed to blather on about SACCO AND VANZETTI (opening May 4th in Wilmington (DerB and SWW), Lake Worth Florida (Michael Shayne) and San Francisco (Ron Pulliam) and we have to learn about this from PLAYBILL??

Seriously, break a leg, Rodz and T-Punk! Very cool!!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2007, 12:34:23 PM »

Time to hit the road and prep for the wedding of Greg's brother. I'm DJing---wonder if there's anyway to power my iPod nano if it runs out of juice?

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2007, 12:36:11 PM »

I just had an interesting call. Turns out that I won't be officing at the Orpheum after all.  I was supposed to get a lease today, but the leasing agent called to tell me that they have an offer on the building (sounds like an owner/tenant  which would be great for downtown) and that they can't lease any space for 90 days.  Since I'm opening in 60 that's a problem.  the funny thing is it upset the leasing agent more than it upset me.  I've had a feeling that this wasn't going to happen, can't explain it, but it's been bugging me.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »

The good news is I look at space in the building next door on Monday.  The space is around the same size, but is on the sky-walk (much better exposure) and includes high speed internet.  It's also an old building (historic register eligible, not sure if it's listed) but the office itself sounds a lot nicer and I'll get to pick out new paint and carpet that they will have installed in time for me to move in July 1.  It has windows looking out on the same street as the other space.  
This building is full of lawyers, so that's good too.  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:41:00 PM by Cillaliz »

singdaw

« Reply #188 on: April 27, 2007, 12:42:26 PM »

Sorry to hear that, DR Cillaliz, but it sounds like there are very good alternative prospects.

Reminds me that we haven't heard from DR elmore3003 about his office hunting recently.

singdaw

« Reply #189 on: April 27, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »

I'm DJing
There are entirely too many DRs who have multiple and varied talents!  :)
It's rather intimidating.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2007, 12:45:36 PM »

Thanks. I think it's a good thing, actually, and for some reason I had a feeling this may happen.  About a week or two ago I went to the leasing office in the building I'm going to see to ask about space, but no one was there.  I decided not to pursue it then because I had given my word to the Orpheum.  I'm a little relieved.  It was funny, the leasing agent said she'd had a stomach ache all morning thinking about telling me.  I was comforting her!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:46:15 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2007, 12:47:45 PM »

Think I'll have a miraculous recovery and see what I can see of the space from the sky walk...oh, didn't I mention I'm home sick this afternoon  

singdaw

« Reply #192 on: April 27, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »

Pierrot, a macaroon!  I cannot LIVE without a macaroon.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #193 on: April 27, 2007, 12:50:16 PM »

Cilla-GOOD OFFICE VIBES!

Ginny

« Reply #194 on: April 27, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »

Yay - telephone reference for the duration of the workday (90 minutes, but who's counting?).

DR Cillaliz - hope everything turns out OK with the office thing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #195 on: April 27, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »

I am in denial and avoiding even THINKING about this whole issue...   :)

AND I am anxiously awaiting DR der Brucer's report on the BBC Planet Earth series on DVD.

I can tell you that the two high def versions of this series on disc - the HD-DVD version and the Blu-ray version - have been deemed reference quality video material in every review that I've read. I've watched some of it on Dicovery HD Theater, but HD is so compressed on cable that I know the high def discs would be even more spectacular.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #196 on: April 27, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »

Good vibes to DR Danise and mom. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DR Cillaliz, I'm sorry about what happened. But glad that you are sort of glad.  I think you are taking it very well. I would have been livid.  To string you along when you had an agreement seems so wrong.  I get why the woman felt ill having to tell you.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #197 on: April 27, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Well, it looks like everything is working out.  And for the better too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »

I have had a very 0busy Friday afternoon. I did my usual errands (ATM, post office, grocery store), and when I got home and was putting away the groceries, the phone rang. My friend Hal gave himself an HD-DVD player for his birthday this week and after trying and trying, he couldn't get it hooked into his system, so he called me to help.

Naturally, not having worked with an HD-DVD player before, I was anxious to play with it, so I headed on over. A couple of cables and some reconfiguration of his receiver, and we were good to go.

The Toshiba HD-DVD is a fantastic upconversion standard DVD player which is all he could use it for right now, but I also took him to the HD-DVD page at Amazon where he could order some high def movies to play on it. I said he planned on getting several once he could sit down and make up his mind.

This new version of the Toshiba HD-DVD player just came out a couple of months ago, and it's much sleeker and more elegant than the clunky first generation model that came out last year. I'm sure he's going to love having it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »

And now it is time for me to head to Grand Central.  Normally, I would catch the train at 125th Street, but since it is Friday and rush hour/peak care time, I have a feeling I'd be standing for most if not all of the trip up to Westport if I boarded at 125th.   -The train up yesterday was packed!

And with the crappy weather and all that - whatever "that" is - I believe I'm going to leave my laptop here at the apartment for the next couple of hours.  If anything happens in the meantime, I can always post from the computers in the Green Room.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2007, 01:22:45 PM »

After I got home and fixed lunch, I sat down to eat and watch last night's SMALLVILLE. A pretty good episode with Lex and Clark buried in underground tunnels and Clark mostly helpless due to kryptonite being in the underground tunnel.

Tense episode and some good exchanges between the two one-time friends, but once again, I'm amazed at SO MUCH kryptonite that is used in this series. There was never this much in the comics when I was reading them decades ago.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »

Next, I watched the string of NBC comedies, all of which had outstanding nights.

MY NAME IS EARL had Earl going back to school and finding out how difficult it is to try to teach students who were jackasses just as he was when he went to school. Some very funny stuff there.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »

I certainly saw DR Cason on THE OFFICE, and I also laughed loud and long at the wild episode that had the workers trying to do damage control when some obscene water marks on their paper products got distributed all around the area. Just one hilarious scene after another with all of the regulars.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »

OH...

DR Danise - Just in case you happen to have a chance to check in here...

I know that you are asking for VIBES, and they are most definitely heading your way from all of us here, but I just want you to know that you are probably much "stronger" than you think you are.  With all that you've been through the past few years with your mother - and with yourself - I'm confident you will make it through this understandably difficult time.  Heck, anyone who can come to New York City for the first time, and manage to have a good time and make some good friends in the process is most definitely "strong".  *And you even "survived" my Eating and Walking and Eating and Walking Tour!

We are all here for you.  And we will be here for you.  But we also know that you will be there for your mother during this time.  Just remember to let yourself cry.  And breathe.  And don't feel bad if you take a few moments to take care of yourself.

~~~~~VIBES~~~~~VIBES~~~~~VIBES~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2007, 01:27:14 PM »

30 ROCK had guest stars Elaine Stritch (as Alec Baldwin's mother) and Sean Hayes (as Kenneth the NBC page's brother) stealing part of the show, but Alec Baldwin still landed front and center with probably his Emmy-winning submission episode right here, the season finale.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »

I'm glad the office situation is working out, Cillaliz.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: April 27, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »

SCRUBS had a good one too as Keri Russell guest starred as one of Elliott's sorority sisters back for a visit. The janitor was his usual hilarious self roller-blading in the kid's ward playing a ghost to scare the kids into not being messy. A great night of comedy on NBC last night.

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »

I began MY GAL SAL, but only got about 15 minutes in. Rita Hayworth hasn't yet made her entrance. Carol Landis is the one snuggling up to Victor Mature in the early part of the picture.

Matt H.

« Reply #208 on: April 27, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »

I still have SUPERNATURAL left to watch from last night's line-up. I was very surprised being gone as I was this afternoon that I was able to get through some much of what I recorded last night.

FJL

« Reply #209 on: April 27, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »

Cilla - Maybe I'm imagining things (not the first time that's happened) - but wasn't there a day a few weeks ago when you said you had gone to the leasing agent wanting to get the paperwork finalized, and they acted surprised that you wanted to get it done so early?  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up