Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN A HURRY  (Read 69122 times)

MBarnum

Re:NOTES IN A HURRY
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »

MBarnum, are you still in LA?  When do you come home?  I have a question for you.  Have you ever interviewed Ty Hardin?

I am now home. I am catching up. I have never interviewed Ty Hardin. But I have talked to him on the phone a few times.

singdaw

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2007, 05:51:28 PM »

DR George, please PM me your snail mail address.  I am going to attempt to tape the Angels in America opera for you.

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

Hi I'm watching TAR, Playing with my cats and surfing....going to sign off for a little while

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #213 on: April 29, 2007, 05:55:04 PM »

This afternoon I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #214 on: April 29, 2007, 05:56:56 PM »

This confused me. Did we take a wrong turn somehow?

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #215 on: April 29, 2007, 06:05:33 PM »

For dear DR Jose --  I know that you are at a concert, or dinner, or a walk around NYC this evening.  But I wish I was there, and we could have dinner, and then walk to the good pie shop !  That would be a fun relaxing time.

And.... I could then blame you a little !  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #216 on: April 29, 2007, 06:06:51 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!

Well, once I got to the box office window at Carnegie Hall, the women behind the window informed me that all they had left were obstructed view seats.  Hmm...  Well, I said, OK.  Then she noticed that she could get me an obstructed view seat in the Second Tier instead of in the top balcony, so, I took it.  And, boy, was I glad I did!

I ended up in Box 60, which is house left, and close to the stage.  And, as it turned out, I basically ended up right behind Maurizio Pollini's right shoulder.  And since the "piano nerd" is still very much alive in me, it was a perfect seat.  I had a great view of the piano keyboard, and of Mr. Pollini's hands.  And even the seats were comfortable - they were basically raised stools.  And as for being "obstructed view", well, the only real obstruction was the woman sitting in front of me, but once I adjusted my chair, I had a very clear view of the stage.

The program was wonderful.  An all Chopin first half, and Debussy and Boulez in the second half.  And it turned out to be the Second Book of the Debussy Etudes he was playing, not the Preludes - I guess I misread the listing.  The Etudes are some of my favorite pieces.

All in all, it was a very satisfying program.  Mr. Pollini's playing has been labeled "aristocratic" by many people.  For some people that's a plus, for others that's a minus.  Some people appreciate the reserve in his playing, others wish for some more fire and color.  For today's program, I thought it was just right.  His virtuosity is unquestionable, but he never shows off.  It all seems very easy for him.  But the music-making was very good.  Very good.

As I had suspected, a bunch of audience members bailed before - and during(!) - the Boulez Second Piano Sonata.  I will admit that it's not a "tuneful" score, but I've always appreciated it's compositional structure, and the demands it makes on the pianists technique and imagination.  -And having a bird's eye view of Mr. Pollini's hands as they navigated the keyboard was awesome.

And after he finished the Boulez, he treated the audience to five(!) encores, one of which was another Chopin Ballade (the G minor) - most definitely not a "little post-recital ditty".  He was very generous.

And then came the CD signing...
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

« Reply #217 on: April 29, 2007, 06:08:20 PM »

It's no fun here in Allentown.... Maybe I'll just blame the whole area for everything. !

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #218 on: April 29, 2007, 06:13:48 PM »

Jose-I enjoyed reading about the concert and the pleasure it gave you. :D

MBarnum

« Reply #219 on: April 29, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »

My DVR recorded some wonderful movies whilst I was away...EMERGENCY HOSPITAL, THE INTERNS, THE NEW INTERNS.

Tonight I must watch last weeks Survivor and tonight's TAR and Desperate Housewives (BTW I met one of the cast members this weekend).

singdaw

« Reply #220 on: April 29, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »

It's no fun here in Allentown

Well, no, Allentown is not exactly the hotspot of the world.

I have fond memories of my grandfather giving me a driving lesson in an abandoned parking lot in Allentown!

MusicGuy

« Reply #221 on: April 29, 2007, 06:16:09 PM »

Hey there.... Mr. PianoSJose....the concert sounds like it was a good time.  And the vantage point of your seat must have been great!

I once got to sit 2 rows back, and 2 seats to the left of the keyboard for a Horowitz concert.  He had the most fascinating and (at times) strange hand technique to me.  But DAMN, did it make a lot of pretty fantastic music!

Go have some dessert for me........there's nothing good here in Allentown.  :(

singdaw

« Reply #222 on: April 29, 2007, 06:16:40 PM »

Desperate Housewives (BTW I met one of the cast members this weekend).

Jesse Metcalf?   :o

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #223 on: April 29, 2007, 06:16:40 PM »

Hi Cilla.... Hi Edi. !  :)

Hiya, handsome!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #224 on: April 29, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »

I keep hearing Billy Joel's voice in my head.

MBarnum

« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »

I barely made my flight today. I had thought that my flight wasn't until 1:15 pm...but that was the time of the flights arrival in Portland! My flight was actually at 11:00 am...and I discoverd this factoid at exactly 9:45 am, as I was catching up on HHW and sipping my morning coffee in my hotel room!

With 1 hour and 15 minutes till my flight was to leave you never saw one person move so fast!

Fortunately my hotel was right across the street from the Burbank airport, and the car rental return was at the airport.

Unfortunately I had no time to fill up the gas tank of the car before returning it and it was on empty. Alamo charges $6.99 a gallon they have to fill it...ouch!

Edisaurus

« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2007, 06:19:32 PM »

Will we never get to page eight?  Just finished Lonely Are The Brave, and shall now watch The List Of Adrian Messenger.

I can't hear this title without thinking of the Get Smart episode: The Mess of Adrian Listenger.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2007, 06:20:36 PM »

I keep hearing Billy Joel's voice in my head.

But do you answer back?   :)

MBarnum

« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »

Jesse Metcalf?   :o

Sadley, poor Jesse is in rehab these days.

I met Ernie Hudson, who played the detective that was investigating the various and sundried murders.

He is hoping someone else will be murdered soon so that his recurring role will occur again! LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »

As for the CD signing...

First of all, the line was long(!!!!!).  And I admired Mr. Pollini's continuing generosity with his time.  He had basically played a three hour recital, and now he was signing CDs for at least another hour.  Even the ushers were surprised at how many people stayed for the signing.  -The Gift Shop had even sold out of CDs!

Secondly... In front of me, there was a gentleman who turned out to be quite "entertaining".  From what I could gather, he graduated from some Ivy League college.  He's a composer.  He had just been released from some academic position.  And he thought the Boulez was the equivalent of a "teeth extraction", and thought the only reason Pollini played five encores was to "purge the guilt" from subjecting the audience to such a piece.  Hmm...  Oh, and I believe he uses words such as "bourgeoisie", "ephemera", "Capitalist" and "redeeming social value" when he orders his coffee at Starbucks each morning.  ;)  Like I said, he was "entertaining".

Of course, I had wanted to "correct" him, but I believe he loved hearing himself speak, and I think he liked being listened to too.  We did talk a little about current musical trends... He blamed the popularity of country music for George Bush's presidency.  And he wondered if the term "rock'n'roll" was still relevant today since hip-hop and country were so prevalent.  Alas, it also became clear that he did not listen to any "current" music, and when I had to tell him what one of the encores was - one of the Liszt Transcendental Etudes - well... All I could think of was, "Bitter...  Party of One."

But, again, he was entertaining.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2007, 06:22:48 PM »

For dear DR Jose --  I know that you are at a concert, or dinner, or a walk around NYC this evening.  But I wish I was there, and we could have dinner, and then walk to the good pie shop !

Greg and I walked past the little pie shop and could smell the pies cooking, which whetted our appetites for the wonderful brunch FJL and Skip had waiting for us.

But as we were passing it, a drunk guy came lurching towards us and then vomited on the ground, barely missing us! The allure of the pie shop suddenly dispersed.  :-\

singdaw

« Reply #231 on: April 29, 2007, 06:25:07 PM »

DR MusicGuy, I had an opportunity to hear Ken Cowan play a dedicatory recital today.  Alas, I felt tired, so decided to continue my laundry duty instead.

singdaw

« Reply #232 on: April 29, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »

DR JoseSPiano...

What, exactly, was Mr. Pollini's reaction when you asked him to sign your Dixie Chicks CD?

MusicGuy

« Reply #233 on: April 29, 2007, 06:28:55 PM »

DR MusicGuy, I had an opportunity to hear Ken Cowan play a dedicatory recital today.  Alas, I felt tired, so decided to continue my laundry duty instead.

Well, you missed a real treat.  Ken is a really musical player, and technically extremely gifted.  He is also a hell of a nice person, cute as all get out, and I'm happy to have him as a friend.  He has such a good sense of humor, and such a secure sense of himself, that I tease him unmercifully about running away together.

Unfortunately, he happens to prefer short, thin, oriental females with long dark hair.  I'm afraid that is just too big of an order....:)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2007, 06:30:27 PM »

And I have to say, that I'm constantly amazed at how disorganized the Box Office/Lobby area is at Carnegie Hall.  It seems like there's only one usher to "help" everyone one out.  There were three box office windows open today, but only one was open for sales, and the other two were for reservations.  However, one of the reservation windows was behind a column, and the sales window was for current and future events.  Meanwhile, there are six ushers in each stairwell just standing there.  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2007, 06:32:27 PM »

DR Danise - Thanks for the continued updates.  And I'm glad your Mom got to spend some time with Bear.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »

I had a fine supper at the Outback Restaurant not too far from West New York in New Jersey with Dear friend Lesli. Hardly any weigt, i mean wait - very unusual for a Sunday late afternoon, but by the time we left the restaurant the place was totally packed.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »

I just had Cracker Jacks- the prize is a sticker

I usually get a tattoo.:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2007, 06:34:53 PM »

I had a fine supper at the Outback Restaurant...with Dear friend Lesli.

Don't let it end, Dear Friend!

That's good.  I don't believe Outback takes reservations.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:38:41 PM by singdaw »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »

N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!  Today is the first day in the last two weeks that I have not had "NOW" stuck in my head - until now (oh damn, now I said it again).

What's wrong with "Now"?  Have you been rehearsing to play Frederick in A Little Night Music?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up