Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: MY LIDS ARE HEAVY  (Read 91223 times)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
Re:MY LIDS ARE HEAVY
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2007, 08:15:05 AM »

And now, I have to be productive for awhile.  I have about 3 or 4 things I need to get done as early as possible today.

TTFN

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2007, 08:16:29 AM »

Oh, and WHEEEEE ..... I flipped a page all by myself !

..... HOO _ HAY _ SLAM THE DOOR.... I JUST FLIPPED THE PAGE TO FOUR !!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2007, 08:20:39 AM »

Some favorite testimony:

CLERK:  Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Velma Kelly:  And then some!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »

TOD -

Presumed Innocent
Legal Eagles
The Paper Chase
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »

A couple of Lucy courtrooms:

Lucy:  What's this?
Ricky:  It's our on-rehears' and spon-tan-ee-uss testi-mahny.
Lucy:  And we don't need a lawyer?

Lucy's testimony in charades when they sue Danny Williams and family in the Lucy-Desi comedy hour.

Lucy acting as her own lawyer on The Lucy Show.
Viv: (on the stand) Well....you and I....
Lucy:  Hold it!  Would you please tell the court who "you" is....
Viv:  I is Vivian Bagley.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2007, 08:25:27 AM »

I don't have an oatmeal bowl.  I'm eating leftover pizza, the true breakfast of champions.  Yummers.

Easy for him to say - I have the living room mess to clean up!

Those of you who have been taking careful notes remember that yesterday I kept the dogs on a diet because I was too lazy to go shopping before picking up Woody at 5. Well, I fetched the Wrangler, we kibble shopped at Wal-Mart and then Mr. "My Feet Hurt" wanted to go get a take out pizza, which we did. (We did take out becasue the dogs love Pizza night at home).

In our absense, the dogs went foraging and when we returned, the living room was strewn with trash!

See next post for the result!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2007, 08:29:25 AM »

Patient Pooches Ponder Pizza

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2007, 08:37:32 AM »

I love those pictures!!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2007, 08:42:52 AM »

Oh, I like PRESUMED INNOCENT, too.

I also liked JAGGED EDGE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2007, 08:43:13 AM »

Off to get lunch started.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2007, 08:50:54 AM »

TOD:

Most of the already-named films, plus

SUSPECT
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2007, 08:51:59 AM »

Does LEGALLY BLONDE:  THE MUSICAL count as a courtroom drama?

Not any more than the MOVIE "Legally Blonde" upon which the musical is based.

Both are "comedies" rather than "dramas."

But I HEAR YA!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2007, 08:56:59 AM »

Re: last night's HEROES

SPOILERS

I actually didn't think it was as good as past weeks have been. I did really enjoy mohinder and molly.  And i like watching peter and claire AND hiro and ando.  But i found myself slightly bored.  The end was good (it always is).  But i just didn't feel like anything substantial was happening.

I felt the same way, except I didn't care for the Mohinder and Molly stuff--it felt forced and false to me.  And I was kind of disappointed to learn that Nathan's mother is part of the conspiracy--I was hoping that she was working against the company in some capacity or other.  And the stuff with Skylar and his mother played out too quickly (and besides, I already knew that it was going to end badly between them through this week's article in Entertainment Weekly, though they had it in reverse!)

I just don't get that DL is willing to live or even be in the same room with Jessica or even work with her to find Mica.  And the chameleon woman who kidnapped Mica also has mind-bending powers?  How suddenly convenient.

I also couldn't understand how Nathan would allow Claire to remain in his house just as the rest of his family is arriving.  How does he explain her to his wife?  And wasn't there some kind of urgency a few episodes back to get Claire out of the country?  The same thing with Peter's worriment about going nuclear--why doesn't he just leave the city?  And what happened to the Invisible Man?  

There's just been too many holes in this show lately.  And compared to the richly textured and layered storytelling that's been going on in LOST, HEROES has been sorely lacking.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »

Last night, DR George said:Yeah, we burned our fingers on this and the Thingmakers and the Easy Bake Ovens, but we all lived to tell about it.  

The wussy kids today, though--the only injury they have to worry about is carpel tunnel syndrome or text messaging thumb stress!  Bah!  These kids wouldn't know a good time if it hit them in the head!

Which is exactly what happened to us when we played with Time Bomb!  And we liked it!

I don't remember having a time machine, but we made Creepy Crawlers and had an Easy Bake oven.   We got burned too.  How else is a kid supposed to learn not to touch hot things?

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2007, 09:07:29 AM »

Does LEGALLY BLONDE:  THE MUSICAL count as a courtroom drama?

Don't know, but the movie certainly has a great courtroom scene.  You go girl!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2007, 09:07:51 AM »

My brothers had a Strange Change....game that is.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »

Hmmm....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2007, 09:09:51 AM »

I felt the same way, except I didn't care for the Mohinder and Molly stuff--it felt forced and false to me.  And I was kind of disappointed to learn that Nathan's mother is part of the conspiracy--I was hoping that she was working against the company in some capacity or other.  And the stuff with Skylar and his mother played out too quickly (and besides, I already knew that it was going to end badly between them through this week's article in Entertainment Weekly, though they had it in reverse!)

I just don't get that DL is willing to live or even be in the same room with Jessica or even work with her to find Mica.  And the chameleon woman who kidnapped Mica also has mind-bending powers?  How suddenly convenient.

I also couldn't understand how Nathan would allow Claire to remain in his house just as the rest of his family is arriving.  How does he explain her to his wife?  And wasn't there some kind of urgency a few episodes back to get Claire out of the country?  The same thing with Peter's worriment about going nuclear--why doesn't he just leave the city?  And what happened to the Invisible Man?  

There's just been too many holes in this show lately.  And compared to the richly textured and layered storytelling that's been going on in LOST, HEROES has been sorely lacking.

Totally DISagree with the both of you.

Every episode reveals more information about the story's characters and motivations.

The "Silar" arc is VERY revealing, IMO.  It offers a glimpse into the nature of his sociopathic rages.

Why does D.L. stay with "Jessica"?  He stays because she's "pretending" to be Nikki...and mostly because of Micah, who LOVES  his mother and doesn't want to be away from her.  I know that D.L. is aware of the dual identity, but I don't think he knows that Nikki is trapped, so to speak, and that Jessica pretends to "be" Nikki.

The hour moves so quickly that the show seems to be over just moments after it starts....for me.  They cannot possibly track each and every "Heroes" character in each episode, either.  The "invisible man" was rather adamant about not wanting to associate with anyone. Several episodes back, he got paranoid when Peter was interacting with others like them and he decided Peter wasn't respecting their "arrangement."   The invisible man then "disappeared", so to speak.  I'm certain they'll bring him back at some point.

As for Nathan's mother -- wow!  Have you missed the episodes she's been in?  She could teach Angela Lansbury's "The Manchurian Candidate" mother a thing or two.  She's a totally manipulative and wholly controlling person (I'll bet you thought I was going to say "bitch" here, dintcha!).  Sure, she wants to protect Claire, her granddaughter, just like Nathan, Claire's biological father, was trying to do all her life.  The entire family has "powers", including the mom, if I'm not mistaken.  Just don't know what hers are yet.

As for Peter...the time has not arrived yet when he will "blow up" the city.  He remains in New York because it's his home, it's where others of his kind are, and, I suspect, because he really hopes he can find a way to undo what hasn't yet happened.  He knows absolutely that "the future", as painted by the now-decesased artist, CAN be changed/altered....it's all part of the "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" imagery/message that started everything up in the first place.

I'm not at all sure what you mean, Dan, about mindbending powers of the woman who can shape-shift.  Can you elaborate?  If you are referring to Micah's attempt to escape, only to find himself back in the same room, I'm not certain "she" did that.  I was thinking more along the lines of its being a Linderman arrangement.  

But I could be wrong...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 09:27:08 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2007, 09:10:50 AM »

We got burned too.  How else is a kid supposed to learn not to touch hot things?
;D

As my HS Chemistry teacher was so fond of saying:

HOT glass looks just like COLD glass!

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »

TOD- My favs have already been named.  I love My Cousin Vinnie.  That is often used in "how to do cross examination" lectures.  He does a great cross

singdaw

« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2007, 09:12:19 AM »

DR der Brucer....

Love, love, love those doggie pizza pictures.  I am convinced that domestic animals instinctively know how to make themselves look most cute when there's food in the balance!

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2007, 09:13:59 AM »

Better do a little more work before I go get a haircut and get 1/2 a crunchy cow sandwich to go.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2007, 09:14:05 AM »

The New Mannerists

Mannerists in general are not compelled primarily by subject matter and the films of the New Mannerists are not ‘about’ things in the way that other films are. That is one of the things I find so remarkable about Coppola’s 'Marie Antoinette'. There are few subjects of world history as fraught with content and meaning as the French Revolution. It's a minefield one is expected to come to with strong positions and the goods to back them up. Coppola lets the camera drift around in scene after scene where we learn next to nothing about the events of the day. We simply see daily life as it unfolds.

Even when the Revolution itself begins to occur—a prime opportunity for drama and narrative arc—it does so in an oddly stilted way, as a kind of non sequitur. Mendelsohn criticizes the movie for precisely this reason. He writes,

"The final silent image in this movie, so filled as it is with striking and suggestive images, tells you more about Coppola, and perhaps our own historical moment, than it could possibly tell you about Marie Antoinette. It's a mournful shot of the Queen's state bedchamber at Versailles, ransacked by the revolutionary mob the night before the Queen and her family were forced to leave, its glittering chandeliers askew, its exquisite boiseries cracked and mangled. You'd never guess from this that men's lives—those of the Queen's guards—were also destroyed in that violence; their severed heads, stuck on pikes, were gleefully paraded before the procession bearing the royal family to Paris. But Coppola forlornly catalogs only the ruined bric-a-brac. As with the teenaged girls for whom she has such sympathy, her worst imagination of disaster, it would seem, is a messy bedroom."
It is as if Coppola is not up to the serious events of the adult world and thus her movie must be a mockery of those events and that world. But that is not the truth that Coppola’s movie is after. Viewed from Marie Antoinette's perspective, from her 'inner experience', there was no other way for the French Revolution to come about than as a non sequitur whose immediate result is best portrayed as a messy bedroom. To me, that scene in the messy bedroom is lovely, disturbing…true.

And a neat comment posted to the article:

To all the reviewers who felt that M.A. left them wanting something of more substance:

Let them eat popcorn!

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2007, 09:14:06 AM »

I love My Cousin Vinnie.

Imagine you're a deer...

:D

Not a gazelle, mind you.  A deer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2007, 09:14:24 AM »

Is it not true, DR CILLA LIZ - that the attorney doing the cross examination cannot bring up anything that was NOT covered in the direct?

singdaw

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2007, 09:15:40 AM »

a crunchy cow sandwich

Details, please?

:)

FJL

« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2007, 09:15:59 AM »

Was it on a Tv sitcom that a witness turned to the judge and exclaimed "Who are you to judge me?"  I've always liked that court moment.

FJL

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2007, 09:16:58 AM »

NIGHT COURT, maybe?  

DERBRUCER

« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »

I am convinced that domestic animals instinctively know how to make themselves look most cute when there's food in the balance!

And learn that good behavior is rewarded! They all sit very patiently while we eat, knowing that at the end - the crust is THEIRS!

(Once I inadvertantly started eating my crust and Buster got all excited and fidgetty.)

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »

I saw a courtroom drama go on for hours over a shoplifted glue pen.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up