Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOSE KNOWS  (Read 66841 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE NOSE KNOWS
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2007, 08:16:53 AM »

I understand there are more gasp out loud moments to come in the show's remaining episodes this season.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »

I have never seen American Idol, thus I have no opinion of it. And I have not paid very much attention to American or European pop music over the last 15 years so wouldn't know what effect this show has or could have on it.

On the other hand I do have the CD for the top ten singers on Indian Idol...and I rather liked most of the songs and singers on it.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2007, 08:19:56 AM »

Page Four Viktor Krum Dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2007, 08:21:16 AM »

I am sure I have had bad restaurant experiences, but none really come to mind. Maybe I am just easy to please. Or simple. Or simple minded...that is what Elmore keeps telling me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2007, 08:21:33 AM »

Is anyone here bothered by OJ Simpson being told to leave a restaurant in Kentucky, because the owner was offended by OJ Simpson being OJ Simpson?

Is anyone here bothered by Paris Hilton being told she has a reservation in the clink?  Or is her asking her fans to petition Governor Arnold to give her a pardon more bothersome?

Just wondering.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2007, 08:23:25 AM »

I need to head downstairs now so I can clean up for my lunch out with friends.

WBBL.

Jennifer

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »

re: last night's LOST

SPOILERS

I have not read any other comments yet. But i just want to say i found last night's show very interesting.

Most of the previous backstories have been either slightly boring or not really that relevant to the story. But this one was incredible.

I will say that juliet and jack's declaration was extremely predictable.  However i was completely shock by what ben did to locke at the end.  And since i don't read spoilers or watch previews i had absolutely no idea. Now i am wondering if locke will be gone or what (please don't spoil this if you know).

Great show!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:26:44 AM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »

Good Morning!

Whew! (my watch cry), I guess I did sleep in today, but I'm up.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2007, 08:41:19 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I've had some less than ideal restaurant experiences, but nothing truly terrible.  Both my parents are in the food service industry, so I guess I was brought up with more of an understanding of what could possibly go wrong at a restaurant, and why.  Conversely, I also know when I walk into a place that I will probably not end up having a good meal there... And then I walk to another place.

...And I have no problem leaving a "deserving" tip, for better or worse (service).
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Another pretty day here - we'll see how hot it gets.  The house to the north of me sold a few months ago - workers arrived early this morning and are quite noisy - I hope they're only doing minor work.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2007, 08:55:47 AM »

Oh!....  But, I do have one "fond" memory restaurant memory from my childhood...

My mom is a registered dietitian, and she was frequently called upon to head out of town for various conferences and seminars.  There was an annual one down in Virginia Beach, and my parents would end up making it a mini-vacation for the family since it was just a little over a  three hour drive from Fairfax.  So...

We had settled into our booth at Pizza Hut, and placed our order with our waitress.  And then we waited for our food.  And waited.  And waited.

And while we were waiting, we noticed that our waitress was talking with some friends at a table on the other side of the restaurant.  And talking.  And talking.

Then we noticed that our pizza had come out of the oven, and was set out ready to be delivered to our table.  And it sat there.  And sat there.  And she was still talking.  And talking.  And we waited.  And waited.

Oh!

-Here's your pizza.  Is there anything...

Then my mom gently interrupted her, "Excuse me, but we saw that our order came out of the oven over ten minutes ago, and we would like for our order to be remade.  We would like a fresh pizza."

Oh...

So, after ten minutes, we had a hot, fresh out of the oven pizza on our table.  Along with some surprisingly attentive service for the remainder of our meal.

Once we were all done, we stacked our plates and sorted the silverware - something my mom always made us do ??? - "Mom, we're not at home?!?!"  Then the bill came.  My mom took the bill, left just enough cash to cover the amount, then took out one of her "Better Eating" pamphlets from her conference bag.  She wrote, "YOUR TIP" on it.  And we left the restaurant.

Go Mom!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2007, 08:58:17 AM »

DR Ben - Be sure to bring back some of those Key Lime Coconut Patties!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »

DR TCB - Hmm... What flavor Chapstick is this?

;)

Great story.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »

Der Brucer wants to get on the computer.  Bye, for now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2007, 09:00:55 AM »

Thanks, DRs elmore3003 and JoseSPiano, for sharing your thoughts on the Follies last evening!

You're welcome, DR singdaw.  I just hope I didn't say too much as it were.  I really did have a good time last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2007, 09:11:21 AM »

Thursday greetings!  I think I logged on a long time ago, but forgot to post.  Think it's time for a weekend - I'm really running on empty.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2007, 09:11:42 AM »

Hmm... Thunderstorms this afternoon... and tonight... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »

So...

Would you like one of these?

A Sweet So Sour: Kool-Aid Dills

A gallon jar of pickles sits near the register at Lee’s Washerette and Food Market, a mustard-colored cinder-block bunker on the western fringe of this Mississippi Delta town.

Those pickles were once mere dills. They were once green. Their exteriors remain pebbly, a reminder that long ago they began their lives on a farm, on the ground, as cucumbers.

But they now have an arresting color that combines green and garnet, and a bracing sour-sweet taste that they owe to a long marinade in cherry or tropical fruit or strawberry Kool-Aid.

Kool-Aid pickles violate tradition, maybe even propriety. Depending on your palate and perspective, they are either the worst thing to happen to pickles since plastic brining barrels or a brave new taste sensation to be celebrated.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2007, 09:17:06 AM »

-I just want to know if anyone has battered and deep-fried them.

;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:21:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2007, 09:17:11 AM »

TOD - I had such a bad experience at a local Starbucks a few years ago that, when I got to work, I called the toll-free customer service line.  The guy on the other end let me vent for a while, then he offered to send me a $20 gift card to compensate.  I said I'd be glad to accept the gift card, but I'd never set foot in that particular Starbucks again - and I haven't.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2007, 09:20:36 AM »

There are few other "taste sensations" described in the article:

"Dipping hot Cheetos in ice cream"
"Dill pickles impaled on peppermint sticks"
"[dipped] pickle spears in dry Kool-Aid mix"

Hmm... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2007, 09:44:29 AM »

-I just want to know if anyone has battered and deep-fried them.

;D

Well.... you know that somewhere in the "overall South" that it has already been done..... as a friend of mine from Alabama says.. "If you can get ahold of it, you can deep-fry it!"

MusicGuy

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »

And a good morning to the lovely assembled here.

And to dear Esteemed, stuffed-up and sneezy, but studly BK --  I also send you very big and soothing .......

~~~~~~~~~~~nose vibes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MusicGuy

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2007, 09:51:46 AM »

I better try to be a little productive......and go do a few work related things.

Play nice.....eat your vegetables ........ don't fight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »

Back from a jog.  As it turns out, it's not the house that's doing work, it's the gas company doing whatever it is they do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2007, 10:13:10 AM »

OK... I need to run a few errands and then head on over to DR elmore's abode.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16:53 AM »

Der Brucer has a doctor's appointment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2007, 10:24:52 AM »

I've had me a minor problem with Amazon.  Yesterday, I received an order that contained three CDs--all of which the covers were cracked to pieces within the cellophane.  I promptly went to the Returned Items site and filled out the request replacements form.  I packaged up the damaged CDs and dropped it off in my mail room (no postage required with the printed out label.)  

Last night I got an e-mail from an Amazon customer service rep saying they were sorry that I had a problem.  But this guy's idea of resolving my issue was to send me ONE empty CD case, which I should receive in two to three weeks.  Well, I sent a response back so quick that it made my own head swim.  I told the guy that I received THREE damaged CDs and that I had already sent them back and that I expect replacement copies pronto.  And so this morning I received a reply (from a different rep) apologizing for Amazon not fully understanding the issue and that replacements were on the way out.  And guess what?  I may keep the empty CD case that is also being sent to me free of charge!

Of course, I wouldn't doubt that I am going to be getting duplicate copies of the replacements and charged for at least one set of them.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »

re: last night's LOST

SPOILERS

I have not read any other comments yet. But i just want to say i found last night's show very interesting.

Very interesting, indeed.  We got some answers about the Others.  I now understand why they are so feral on one hand and yet have access to so much advanced technology (technology which they dangerously do not always understand.)  Also laid to rest is the idea that the Others have never killed.

I'm sure that Locke will heal quickly from the gun wound, just as he did last week from the bite on his hand from his father.

But now we have another new mystery with this Jacob.  What is he all about?  Is he technological or mystical in nature?  Does he have anything to do with the smoke monster?  I don't think we will learn anything new about him until the show comes back next January.  Arrrrrrgh!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2007, 10:43:30 AM »

TOD:

I've only been to Denny's a few times, but one of my worst restaurant experiences was at one. I had to wait and wait for my meal, only to learn it had been sitting a while and not brought to the table. When I received it it was, of course, completely cold. When I complained to the manager he rolled his eyes, said something about the restaurant being busy, and suggested I try something from the steam table/buffet instead so I could get it quickly. I wasn't in a rush, I simply wanted hot food in a reasonable time.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up