Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NOSE KNOWS  (Read 66913 times)

Ginny

Re:THE NOSE KNOWS
« Reply #150 on: May 10, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »

They had it catalogued as a fiction book in the general reading area. They classified it as a Science fiction book.

Oh, those cataloguers!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

Will we never get to page seven?

singdaw

« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2007, 12:45:03 PM »

Frances Farmer:
Fanny Farmer:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »

Welcome sixteen GUESTS.  Who are you people?

FJL

« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2007, 12:46:34 PM »

I have nothing to add to the conversation about bad meals in restaurants.  Except to say that Burger King has been consistently disappointing in terms of the meal being served cold.  And as we've been through, a burger is not a dish best served cold.

FJL

« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

Nor are chicken fries, for that matter, best served cold.

singdaw

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2007, 12:49:03 PM »

Here are some of the GUESTS:

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »

Is anyone here bothered by OJ Simpson being told to leave a restaurant in Kentucky, because the owner was offended by OJ Simpson being OJ Simpson?

Is anyone here bothered by Paris Hilton being told she has a reservation in the clink?  Or is her asking her fans to petition Governor Arnold to give her a pardon more bothersome?

Just wondering.

I am not bothered at all. And I don't really even think either item is newsworthy.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »

TOD:

I have several nasty restaurant experiences.

One happened when I was still living in Grand Forks when my friend Maureen and I went to the local Perkins restaurant. It was later in the evening and rather empty.  There was only about 4 people besides us. They seated us and we waited.... and waited.... and waited for service. There was a couple that came  in after we did and they got served promptly. We waited around for about 30 minutes with growing irritation and decided to go elsewhere. Just as we were leaving, they said they were just coming to serve us. I told the Jerk that it was too late and we were going elsewhere. The jerk then proceeded to tell us that they did not serve lesbians. Needless to say I took HIS NAME, his super's name and I called the owner the next day and he got an earful. To this day I will not step foot in a Perkins because of that. I was offended by his insinuation.

My other one has to do with a slightly better restaurant in FArgo and I was interested in having a lo-cal pasta salad they had on special and I was asking about the the salad dressing and  if it had any aspartame in it. I was asking due to an allergy I have to it. The young lady serving me blew up and said it was a rude question to ask and stormed off. Apparently the owner of the restaurant was in and came over to tend to the matter and quickly answered my question. She was not happy with the waitress and had difficulties with her in the past but felt my question was appropriate due to having health issues. The manager gave me my meal free. Since that incident I have never had trouble with that restaurant. Actually the owner is always happy to see me! She did fire the waitress that gave me trouble.

I have had less than pleasant experiences with McD and Burger King and have been completely turned off of those places. I actually prefer a nice little mom and pop restaurant at times or even going to the grocery store deli and picking up a hardroll or two and some meat and cheese slices and having a picnic somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:56:15 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »

I cannot think of bad restaurant experiences.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2007, 01:00:06 PM »

So, in the mail today is a copy of a letter from our insurance company to a hospital asking for more documentation on my recent hospital stay.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:02 PM »

So, in the mail today is a copy of a letter from our insurance company to a hospital asking for more documentation on my recent hospital stay.

I like what a friend of mine did.... When she had a baby about two years ago in NYC, her hubby took a picture in the hospital room holding the baby withe a date stamp in the corner of the picture.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »

I shall now be on my way to Farmer's Market.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2007, 01:15:29 PM »

DRMATTH was It's All  Relative that Doctor show with Winkler and Channing?  I liked that too.

DR DtM - you may end up with SIX cd's!

No, DR JRand. You're thinking of last season's OUT OF PRACTICE which I also loved (and I don't think CBS ever telecast all of the episodes it had.)

IT'S ALL RELATIVE was the ABC comedy from two or three years ago with Christopher Sieber and John Benjamin Hickey as the gay couple whose daughter was marrying a bar owner's son. Harriet Sansom Harris played the mother of the son.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »

Will we never get to page seven?

Sure.

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2007, 01:20:02 PM »

I watched MEDIUM first when I got in from lunch (while also fielding two lengthy phone calls). Loved the show, but I, too, guessed who Debra was before the reveal so it wasn't a surprise. I did, however, feel sorry for poor naive Allison for putting all her trust in this friendly stranger.

I really loved the DEAL OR NO DEAL sequence.

I don't mind the story arcs when the story necessitates them. We've also got Joe's agonizing decision about Diotech going on at the same time.

But there haven't been THAT many MEDIUM stories that couldn't be self-contained.

I have to say that there was a ratings drop last week, and if there was one last night, they may not try any more of these lengthy story arcs next season.

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2007, 01:21:38 PM »

Next came CSI: NY and the resolution of the three episode story arc with Joey Lawrence. Mac was on the hotseat for much of the show, but I loved how it all turned out.

The murder story this week had to do with a body found in a man's washroom and blood belonging to tennis player John McEnroe at the scene. McEnroe played himself and another character in the story, and very well, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2007, 01:23:35 PM »

I put in the 1999 and the 2007 versions of THE THIRD MAN on DVD and did some A/B comparisons between the two of them. I couldn't see a penny's worth of difference in either of them, so unless one was aching for the few extras added to the new set, I wouldn't bother upgrading.

In fact, the older one has a soundtrack that hasn't been amped to the skies and which I actually prefer.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2007, 01:25:01 PM »

I also began listening to film professor Dana Polan's analysis of the film. I much preferred it to the conversation on the movie between Soderbergh and Gilroy on the alternature commentary track.

I understand, however, that a more intellectual discussion of the film will not be for all tastes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »

Ahh....I am mixing my sit coms....

Frances and Fanny were often confused.....with each other.....by name, anyway.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »

MR BK is that SKY film available in a Region One edition?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2007, 01:27:35 PM »

Jeff Ruby, the restauranteur who confronted O. J. Simpson, is somewhat of a Cincinnati-area celebrity.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2007, 02:06:05 PM »

TOD: The Rainbow Room, bar none, a total disaster and shameful disgrace.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2007, 02:07:08 PM »

Throw Fannie Flagg in there and the mix-ups begin anew!

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:12 PM »

Heading down now to make a start on the second disc of special features on THE THIRD MAN.

WBBL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2007, 02:52:54 PM »

I am sure I have had bad restaurant experiences, but none really come to mind. Maybe I am just easy to please. Or simple. Or simple minded...that is what Elmore keeps telling me.

Simple minded sounds so cruel, DR MBarnum.  I prefer to think of you as clueless.

DR Jose just left.  The man's a genius.  No matter how much I kick him around, I'm so grateful to have him as a friend and colleague.  He just zipped through chord changes on a lead sheet I've been working on, and I couldn't have finished it without him.  I say, vive le Jose!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2007, 02:56:10 PM »

Is anyone here bothered by OJ Simpson being told to leave a restaurant in Kentucky, because the owner was offended by OJ Simpson being OJ Simpson?

Is anyone here bothered by Paris Hilton being told she has a reservation in the clink?  Or is her asking her fans to petition Governor Arnold to give her a pardon more bothersome?

Just wondering.

I think a restaurant owner has the right to refuse service to anyone he wants, and I agree with him: Mr Simpson is a killer with whom I too have no urge to associate.

As to celebutramp Hilton, I think she should be put to sleep for the good of mankind and to keep the lowering national intelligence level up.  If Ahnuld seriously cosiders pardoning the moron, he's even dumber than I already think he is.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2007, 03:07:12 PM »

I would bare OJ also if I had a restaurant. I applaud him. I have a word that describes him that is not even polite to put on the board

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2007, 03:08:33 PM »

And now, off to dinner with the Library of Congress crew.

DR Singdaw, let me ask Liz if she knows the song first.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2007, 03:11:02 PM »

IMHO, I think Paris is a spoiled little brat that needs to wake up and smell the coffee.... or what ever she smells
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up