Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITULAR ME  (Read 30814 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE TITULAR ME
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2007, 11:43:10 AM »

It's the same show.  And the pursuit of funding is on-going and seemingly impossible.  In my heart of hearts, I truly believe that the day will come in which my producer and/or NYMF calls and tells me I don't have enough money raised for Such Good Friends to be in the Festival.

But, since that day hasn't come yet, we proceed, doing all the things we need to do to open on September 28 at the Julia Miles.

I've been having a series of long and intense meetings with the director, in which we go over every beat of the show, questioning how things strike the audience (Frank Loesser punched a leading lady once, so I worry about striking my audience.) and that leads to tons of rewriting.  Old (favorite) songs are thrown out; new songs are written, and I hope they're even better.

Also, the casting process has begun, using my dear wife Joy's firm, which has cast more NYMF shows than anybody, so they know what's what and who's who.

The producer and the director are busy finding the able people who'll do all the things we'll need done, like set designing, costumes, lights, tech direct, publicity, etc.

Fred, Such Good Friends is a completely original show, and has nothing to do with the novel about adultery by Lois Gould or the film Otto Preminger made of it.  I wrote book, music and lyrics completely from scratch.

It's about three funny pals who are putting on a Berle- or Caesar-like variety show in the early days of live TV.  They know each other so well, they're able to avoid all sorts of only-because-it's-live calamities.  You could say it's the same milieu as Laughter on the 23rd Floor and My Favorite Year, but far more serious and emotional.  If you know the musicals that most people don't, I drew a lot of inspiration from Top Banana and Two on the Aisle.

The Such Good Friends URL,

http://www.nymf.org/Show-74.html

is remarkably similar to the one for BK's show,

http://www.nymf.org/Show-704.html

Could it be NYMF knows we're Such Good Friends?

Thank you, DR NOEL, for the explanation. Out of curiosity, who or what (organizations) usually funds such things?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2007, 12:30:17 PM »

Break-a-leg vibrations to DRs Boo-Key and Jorge!

Thanks!  Tonight starts our four-performance weekend!  Two shows on Sunday!  WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??  Who goes to a show on a Sunday night starting at 8:00 PM?  Well, actually...my family is going to go then, so I guess it's okay.

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »

Just found out that what I thought was a mistake in the NYMF contract regarding the "participation fee" (we thought it was $500, while the contract says $5,000), is not, in fact, a mistake.  I cannot believe it, actually.  The New Link shows pay $500 and the Invited shows pay $5K (none of this is clear at all on their site, and the exec director basically admitted that).  The difference is that New Link shows split box-office from dollar one with NYMF, whereas Invited shows make back the 5K, and THEN split 50-50 with NYMF.  

What is unclear is whether the acceptance fee comes out of the 15K we're allowed to spend on the production (cannot spend one penny more - the actors are on top of the 15K).  I can't believe it would be, but then if it's not, that means we have to raise yet more dough - and that's going to be a big problem, as five thousand bucks is not an insignificant amount.  I'll await more explanation from them and the figure out how to proceed.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2007, 12:56:53 PM »

What is unclear is whether the acceptance fee comes out of the 15K we're allowed to spend on the production (cannot spend one penny more - the actors are on top of the 15K).  I can't believe it would be, but then if it's not, that means we have to raise yet more dough - and that's going to be a big problem, as five thousand bucks is not an insignificant amount.  I'll await more explanation from them and the figure out how to proceed.

Dear BK - ......Hmmmmmmm....??  It certainly does make one ponder.  And wonder about how "nigh" the time really is?   ???  Good and positive vibes are certainly being dispatched in your direction.....

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~ production ~~~~ production ~~~~[/move]

MusicGuy

« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2007, 12:57:51 PM »

Hi Sandra......... UNDERPANTS.....

MusicGuy

« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2007, 12:59:09 PM »

......and now, back to work... (I'm filling in for Dino at the Piano!)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2007, 01:06:04 PM »

Vibes for baby Gabe!

Cough be gone vibes to DR JRand!

Organizing show vibes for Bruce & Noel!

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2007, 01:06:29 PM »

Thanks Jane.

Jane

« Reply #188 on: July 06, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »

MBarnum-Good news about your mother-continued healing vibes!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #189 on: July 06, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »

RE: yesterday's copyright issues and copying...I often will make what are considered back-up copies of DVDs which I have been known to share with others...however, I would not ever copy a legit release for resale.

As for grey market items...well, I have no problem purchasing grey market DVDrs of movies and vintage tv shows that companies like Universal, etc. can't seem to feel the need to release...some of these studios have a plethora of classic and not so classic films from the 30s, 40s, and 50s sitting in dusty warehouses...and by gosh I want to see these movies! So when collectors who have transferred their 16 mmm collections or old to DVD want to offer them up for sale...well, I am all over that! And I feel no guilt. And if Universal should ever decide it is time to release some of their more obscure B movies...well, I will be the first in line to buy their product!

I feel the same way. I would never make an illegal copy of something that's available for purchase that would rob rights holders of their rightful money.

However, when things go out of print or aren't offered at all, and I have a chance to get a copy of it by whatever means, I will take it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #190 on: July 06, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »

3D-I'm enjoying your website.  8)

Did you do any of the artwork?

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2007, 01:24:14 PM »

It was hot as blue blazes when I was out on my errands earlier today. Just stifling.

However, in the last ten minutes, a cloud bank has moved overhead (too bad it's not raining pennies from heaven - hahaha; there is no groaning allowed at HHW.com).

Jane

« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »

Happy Birthday Andrea, wherever you are. :)

Jane

« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2007, 01:28:26 PM »

From Ron's last post I thought he might be taking the rest of the week off from work.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »

I began my afternoon entertainment with a MURDER SHE WROTE episode, one of my favorites from Season 6. In this one, the story begins with Jessica pointing the accusing finger at the killer (a woman who she says has murdered her husband). As the episode develops, it looks as if Jessica has made a mistake an accused the wrong person whereby she is threatened by a lawsuit. It's an intricate puzzle and one I didn't guess correctly the first time the episode aired.

Guest stars included Elliott Gould, Susan Blakeley, Barbara Parkins, and Paul Gleason.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »

I watched one more MURDER SHE WROTE episode, another of those Jessica-less stories that featured Ken Howard as a former pro football player who's become a private eye. He inherits a very smart, trained poodle from a friend who dies, and the two of them are off to solve the mystery. Not bad by any means, but these stories are never as good as the actual mysteries with Jessica. I'll bet the MURDER SHE WROTE writing staff felt these crime dramas were like a busman's holiday compared to the mystery plots they had to dream up for the regular show.

Gues stars in addition to Ken Howard were Max Baer, Tim Reid, and Susan Anton.

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2007, 01:36:17 PM »

Then I spent a marvelous 111 minutes with Billy Wilder's bile-on-top-of-acid drama ACE IN THE HOLE. I can see why folks wouldn't have gone to this back in the early 1950s. Everyone's a louse, it paints a negative picture of almost every institution it can, and the main character's end is so prolonged and ugly that it seems endless arriving.

With all our knowledge today of how crooked so many institutions actually are, the story seems astoundingly prescient. Paramount could give this thing away in 1951, not even with a title change to THE BIG CARNIVAL, and it's funny that rather than release this themselves they've given Criterion the rights to the DVD release.

And the transfer is just breathtaking, among the best black and white flat transfers I've ever seen.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »

ACE IN THE HOLE is a two disc set, so I'll probably be watching some of the special features later tonight. I'll have to watch some more MURDER SHE WROTE, of course.

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2007, 01:44:48 PM »

It's 90 degrees and the temp is rising. I still feel kind of yuck from last night and I have laundry to do and some cleaning before I head to the lake tomorrow, so I think Paul Simon will have to sing his 3 or 4 songs without me.   I'm sure he'll manage somehow....

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2007, 01:45:29 PM »

THe thought of standing in the sun and heat for 2 hours just doesn't sound too appealing right now

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »

The good news is that I made a deal with the general manager/line producer that I really wanted.  We both compromised, and I think having a real pro like him is going to make this journey so much less stressful, as he deals with everything - theater, sound, lighting, NYMF, unions, contracts, and all that stuff.

The bad or at least difficult news is that we have to raise 5K more - it thankfull doesn't come out of the production budget, but it's got to come from somewhere.  Yes, we get it back from box-office receipts before we have to start the split, so I know we'll at least get the money back, but it's just so hard, especially when a) you're not expecting it, and b) it comes at you so damn quickly.

George

« Reply #201 on: July 06, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »

Thanks all on the congrats...the plan is that my nephew will take a test in one of his college courses today and then go pick up mother and son at the hospital.  We're hoping Gabe get's the ok to go home...vibes could be helpful for this..

~~~Test Vibes for Cillaliz's Nephew!!~~~

~~~Vibes that Gabe Gets to Go Home!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #202 on: July 06, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »

Mom seems to be recovering nicely in ICU. I don't know when she will be released. Likely this weekend.

~~~Continued Vibes for MBarnum's Mom!!~~~

George

« Reply #203 on: July 06, 2007, 02:00:51 PM »

I'm sure it's on Netflix.  There should also be a contest on for this production from Spoleto: how many phallic symbols can you find?

I couldn't find it on Netflix, but Amazon had a listing for it.  Unfortunately, it says that it "Usually ships within 5 to 7 weeks," which usually means that it more than likely will cancel. :-\

« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 02:01:32 PM by George »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2007, 02:04:32 PM »

Rexy appears to have declared war on Artaxerxes.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »

How cold is cold, DR TOMOVOZ, in the Land of Oz?
12 degrees C was the top I think here.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »

I couldn't find it on Netflix, but Amazon had a listing for it.  Unfortunately, it says that it "Usually ships within 5 to 7 weeks," which usually means that it more than likely will cancel. :-\

It's also available from Barnes & Noble, the Metropolitan Opera Shop.

http://www.metoperafamily.org/shop/index.aspx
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2007, 02:12:06 PM »

I also sent Netflix a request to stock it.  There are too few Vivaldi operas on DVD!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

3DDiffusion

« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2007, 02:16:50 PM »

3D-I'm enjoying your website.  8)

Did you do any of the artwork?

Thanks, Jane.

No, I have no artistic talent at all. Or musical talent.  :'(  I can write a bit.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

3DDiffusion

« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »

The bad or at least difficult news is that we have to raise 5K more - it thankfull doesn't come out of the production budget, but it's got to come from somewhere.

Sell shares in the production here!  Everyone who contributes gets their money back and a name in the program...
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up