Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: UP IN ARMS  (Read 41221 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:UP IN ARMS
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2007, 07:56:02 PM »

Why is life always so full of tough decisions?  I just got an e-mail telling me that I won a choice of $5,000.00 or five free ringtones!  Who can make a  choice like that???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »

I just spoke to Ron Raines; I gather that Jerry Hadley has died.

How very tragic.
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2007, 07:57:08 PM »

Of course we welcome the rare visits by 'roos to the garden.

When they do visit, do get grey or red roos? Do you get Wallabies also?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #303 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »

Condolences to freinds and family of Jerry Hadley

Also condolences to freinds and family of Lady Bird Johnson
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #304 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:39 PM »

Vibes to all who need them...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2007, 08:04:32 PM »

It is too darn hot!  The temperatrue in Tacoma today topped out at somewhere over 100 degrees.  We rarely get those temperatures in the Puget Sound region.  The cats and I are suffering, oh yes, we are suffering.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2007, 08:07:14 PM »

Cooling vibes for TCB, Angel & Nicky.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »

Cooling vibes for TCB, Angel & Nicky.

Thanks, Jane.

Love,

Angel and Nicky
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #308 on: July 11, 2007, 08:14:33 PM »

Will we never get to page nine?

Sooner than you might think!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #309 on: July 11, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »

A bar of virtual - and therefore no calorie - chocolate to anyone who can tell me who that woman is. You've all heard her very distinctive voice, I'm sure, either in movies (in particular a 1959 offering) or TV - even radio! And there's a reason why she's looking so... --I can't say the word or I'll give it away -- here.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Cillaliz

« Reply #310 on: July 11, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »

Our heat went away for awhile...last night was a record low 50 degrees. Tonight's low will be 58...but by the weekend it will start getting hot again

Matt H.

« Reply #311 on: July 11, 2007, 08:17:18 PM »

I knew Lady Bird was alive because I had been reading earlier in the week that she was ill and very low, not expected to live out the week, so reading about her passing was no surprise for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #312 on: July 11, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »

Thanks for mentioning IVAN'S CHILDHOOD, DR MATTH. It sounds interesting. Where did you hear about it? I had not.

It's a review copy though I was familiar with the director from SOLARIS (which the fairly recent remake with George Clooney was based on).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #313 on: July 11, 2007, 08:21:28 PM »

Angel and Nicky  :D

'night

Matt H.

« Reply #314 on: July 11, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »

I began the evening watching all of the bonus features on the IVAN'S CHILDHOOD disc. There was an analysis/appreciation of the film by Vida Johnson, and interview with the actor who played the character Ivan when he was a child, and an interview with the cinematographer (and there are breathtaking images in the film.)

There was no commentary, and this is a film, going into and out of dreams as it does, which might have benefitted from a commentary.

Matt H.

« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »

Next, I watched another MURDER SHE WROTE episode, another Jessica-less story though this one was a full-fledged murder mystery that Jessica could easily have been placed into. Story of the murder of a network exec bent on canceling a big network hit because he doesn't like it. Among the guest stars were Dwayne Hickman, Diana Canova, Talia Balsam (wasn't she once Mrs. George Clooney?), and Tim Thomerson.

Matt H.

« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2007, 08:31:46 PM »

Next up was JESSE JAMES, a very enjoyable western that somehow makes Jesse almost an admirable hero! Power and Henry Fonda are both at the height of their attractiveness (Fonda's blue eyes come through very well), and I enjoyed the wonderful character actors: Randolph Scott, John Carradine, Donald Meek, Slim Summerville, even Lon Chaney, Jr.

Alas, the transfer was variable. No clean up was done so there are speckles and minor damage throughout. There were a couple of places where the colors suffer from misregistration, and a soft scene or two. Some of it looked gorgeous, however, so I'm glad to have it.

Matt H.

« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »

And RESCUE ME had a fun-filled hour. Lots of jokes, some nice tender moments, and a harrowing fire where they get lost in the building. And Tommy's going to have a male stalker so that looks like fun, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #318 on: July 11, 2007, 08:34:35 PM »

I didn't get to last night's MY LIFE ON THE D-LIST today, but that's the first thing I'll watch tomorrow. There's one more MURDER SHE WROTE episode on the current disc in the player (another Jessica-less story!). and then I'll decide if I want to waste time on THE BIG CUBE or go for something not in the Cult boxes.

Matt H.

« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2007, 08:40:43 PM »

I have some writing to take care of, and then it'll be downstairs to bed.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #320 on: July 11, 2007, 08:52:18 PM »

Cooling vibes to TCB, ANgel and Nicky!

3DDiffusion

« Reply #321 on: July 11, 2007, 09:02:46 PM »

I have no musical knowledge or talent (though I know what I like).

Can anyone tell me what instruments are used in playing the Saint theme (the theme from the Roger Moore Saint), especially that high pitched series of notes - penny whistle?

Any help appreciated!
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Jason

« Reply #322 on: July 11, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »

Very sad news about Mr. Hadley. :(

What a day this has been... DR Jose and I enjoyed a loverly lunch at the Brooklyn Diner on 57th St. before we "experienced" Patti LuPone in Gypsy, which was one of the most moving, wonderful theatrical experiences I've ever had. I literally found myself crying during the show without even knowing why I was crying - I was simply overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I know she has her detractors, but Ms. LuPone was absolutely stunning in the role. Her "Everything's Coming Up Roses" was glorious and terrifying and very understated for Patti. Jose and I both had to take a couple of moments, wipe our eyes and take a few deep breaths to recover from it. Truly wonderful. And "Rose's Turn...?" Wow! I can't even describe it. I've seen many Roses. Most of the major ones, actually, either live or on film, and I really can't stress how impressive Patti's performance was. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it before in my life, and I mean that in the best possible way. She got a standing ovation after "Rose's Turn," which some people would blow off as being standard practice nowadays, but she truly earned it. She took my breath away.

Another great surprise was Laura Benanti's portrayal of Louise. I generally find Ms. Benanti's voice to be beautiful, but her acting quite bland. Not today! I don't know what she and Arthur Laurents had to do to pull that performance out of her, but it was brilliant. To quote Jose, this was the first time I didn't find "Little Lamb" to be boring. And the dressing room fight leading into "Rose's Turn" was very intense and beautifully acted.

Boyd Gaines was quite wonderful, as well, bringing a je ne sais quoi to the role of Herbie that one rarely finds. He was really great and really held his own with Patti. The rest of the supporting cast was fantastic, too...especially the three strippers. Marilyn Craskey gave the most understated performance as Ms. Electra I've ever seen and totally walked away with that number.

And then there's Tony Yazbeck, recently of DR Jose's A Chorus Line. His "All I Need Is the Girl" was the best sung and danced version I've ever experienced. And he's gorgeous. And Ms. Benanti was really wonderful in that scene, too...quite moving.

It's amazing to see the difference between the Sam Mendes (Bernadette Peters) production three years ago and Mr. Laurents' staging now. Mr. Mendes is a fine director and I loved his take on the show, but Mr. Laurents knows this show like the back of his hand (hell, he wrote it!) and his attention to detail and nuance really made me realize the difference between very good and excellent direction.

Anyway, that's my take on Gypsy. I was emotionally exhausted by the end of it, but I cannot wait to see it again...and again...and (hopefully) again. :)

(I even loved it so much I actually paid full price for merchandise!!!)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:51:49 PM by Jason »

FJL

« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2007, 09:36:58 PM »

Jason or Jose - Did I miss it or did Patti LuPone not sing "Hold your hats and Hallelujah/Mama's gonna show it to ya" during Rose's Turn at the matinee this afternoon?  Unless I was hallucinating, it felt like a line or two was missing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #324 on: July 11, 2007, 09:39:15 PM »

Good Evening!

As for Gypsy - What DR Jason just said!

And more!  It truly is "event theatre".  Yes, Patti Lupone is the star of the show, but I'd have to say the true star of the show is Arthur Laurents, the playwright, and Arthur Laurents, the director.  He really has brought a fresh spin to his own piece.  It's not another remounting of his original.  I'm going to have to sit down with my script and score and see where some of the cuts and additions - all minor - were/are.

And as for Patti LuPone, she's in incredible voice right now.  -And I gather with some of the more operatic work she's been doing lately, that she's really been taking care of her instrument.  A truly thrilling, awesome and at time frightening performance.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: July 11, 2007, 09:39:47 PM »

You were there today too DR FJL?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #326 on: July 11, 2007, 09:40:29 PM »

Jason or Jose - Did I miss it or did Patti LuPone not sing "Hold your hats and Hallelujah/Mama's gonna show it to ya" during Rose's Turn at the matinee this afternoon?  Unless I was hallucinating, it felt like a line or two was missing.

That section was, indeed, cut. I noticed its absence, but just barely.

Miss Karen

« Reply #327 on: July 11, 2007, 09:40:54 PM »

Hiddy-ho, everybody! Can someone please give a quick synopsis/overview of the postings from the past few days to catch me up?  I haven't a clew (bk reference) what's been the buzz on HHW.  You're errant and truant for a minute, and you're fresh out of luck...  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #328 on: July 11, 2007, 09:41:43 PM »

Oh - And I liked it so much, that I went ahead and saw it again tonight.  :)

And it was still amazing.

And, best of all, when I was standing in line at the box office, someone came up giving away a Galery seat, so... I guess I was meant to see it again tonight.

*And the Gallery seats really aren't that bad, and they're only $25.  -Just make sure to get something in the second row and back, otherwise, the rail gets in your line of vision.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #329 on: July 11, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »

Yeah, I thought I had mentioned that the other day, that I might not see you there because we were on different floors of the theater.  Or did I imagine that I said that???
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up