Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HUMID TIMES THREE  (Read 62613 times)

Cillaliz

Re:HUMID TIMES THREE
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2007, 04:34:44 PM »

DR Cillaliz - hope you feel better after some comfort food.  I'm about to go home, too, in 100o weather that they say feels like 113o  :P

It's supposed to stay in the 90's until next Wednesday.

Enough to make anybody sick.

Thanks DR Ginny. I think it's a combination of the weather, working until I'm exhausted, not sleeping well and well just everything.  I didn't have any goofy dreams this afternoon and hopefully I won't tonight.  I sort of feel like I may be getting a cold, so I'm taking Airborne. Hopefully that will help.

The chicken and noodles was great.  I had one of those roasted chickens from the grocery store a week or two ago and had frozen all the left over chicken. So I used that, frozen egg noodles, chicken broth, frozen peas and some spices. I let it simmer until it was just like I wanted it and boy was it good.   Now I have left overs. I'll have a little more later and will have it to take to the office tomorrow.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2007, 04:35:26 PM »

In other news...

It really didn't feel that bad outside while I was walking around.  Yes, it was hot and humid, but it didn't feel as bad as the news reports were making it out to be.  Then again, maybe I'm still thawing out from being in the audition studio yesterday. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »

Then I headed on down to Union Square to pick up some things at Trader Joe's.  Well, I found out that they don't carry what I was looking for, and they were out of the other things I was thinking of picking up.  So, I headed back uptown to Whole Foods... Which was also out of what I was looking for... So, I just headed on back to the apartment.  And here I am.
Trader Joe's is not known for stocking sailors.  Sorry.  (Dunno about Whole Foods.)

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2007, 04:35:36 PM »

I'll need to catch up later!

Car service day and a movie whilst we wait - "La Vie En Rose"

I'm going to see that on the 19th

Cillaliz

« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »

Cilla-Don't get sick vibes!

Thanks Jane

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2007, 04:39:03 PM »

If it doesn't cool down tonight, I may be sleeping in the loft area, presuming THAT A/C works.  It's unbearable right now.  

Am awaiting a response from the owner to see if there's a reset button I'm not seeing or what to do - I checked the circuit breaker but they're all on, and everything else in the bedroom is working fine.  Terrible.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2007, 04:40:50 PM »

I've got all the ingredients that I need for der Brucer's birthday dinner tomorrow.

Leg of lamb, to be roasted.

Beets, also to be roasted.

Cute little grape tomatoes, to be made into a side dish.

Cute little Yukon Gold potatoes, to be roasted.

And rosemary, scallions, garlic, mint.  I couldn't find any fresh oregano, will have to cope with dried.

Tonight, I'm taking it easy with a pizza shell and lots of veggies to top it.  Although I may get the beets and tomatoes prepped in advance.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2007, 04:41:15 PM »

Jose, as you may have surmised from my posts, I'm severely less than thrilled about our guy and have, in fact, had a long meeting about what he's doing with our general managers, who are majorly pissed right now.  I"m probably going to let them deal with him from now on.  As to tomorrow, I know we start the dance stuff at ten-thirty at Ripley-Grier and if I remember correctly, they're going to use the CD for those auditions, as the room they booked has no piano.  So, your original call time (I presume around noon) is probably good and we're probably in the same room at Pearl.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »

Jose, as you may have surmised from my posts, I'm severely less than thrilled about our guy and have, in fact, had a long meeting about what he's doing with our general managers, who are majorly pissed right now.  I"m probably going to let them deal with him from now on.  As to tomorrow, I know we start the dance stuff at ten-thirty at Ripley-Grier and if I remember correctly, they're going to use the CD for those auditions, as the room they booked has no piano.  So, your original call time (I presume around noon) is probably good and we're probably in the same room at Pearl.

Well, unless I hear, otherwise, I'll see you at Noon.  I know nuthink, and you know nuthink.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »

Lots of people at the store were talking about the weather today.

Not one person was doing anything about it, of course.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2007, 04:49:06 PM »

These "dancers" are cracking me up!  -On "The Singing Bee", that is.  I think they just have three or four sets of moves, and they just rotate through them.  Slowly if it's a ballad.  Fast if it's an up-tempo. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »

bk - Have you unplugged and re-plugged the A/C unit?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2007, 04:51:17 PM »

Oh.. They're called "The Honey Bees".  -Gag me with a spoon.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2007, 05:01:45 PM »

Dear DR SWoody,

Please post your recipe for roasted beets.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

FJL

« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »

DR Laura is within a stone's throw of 6000.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: August 07, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »

I believe he sleeps with it under his pillow.

That isn't yoga either, Silly Mikey!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »

Hmmmmmmm.  I got a phone message asking me to bring the "Brain Tap" dance music!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2007, 05:17:02 PM »

Hmmmmmmm.  I got a phone message asking me to bring the "Brain Tap" dance music!

Hmmmmmmm..
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2007, 05:19:44 PM »

Dear DR SWoody,

Please post your recipe for roasted beets.
Not really a recipe, more along the lines of a method.

After cutting off the leaves to about 1 inch from the beets, I drizzle them with oil, add a little salt (kosher), and wrap them in foil.  I then place them in a 400 oven and let them roast for about an hour or so, until tender.  Just how long depends on the size of the beets, of course (the bunch I picked up today has one beet that is absolutely huge, so that one will take longer).

I let them cool a little bit, then rub the skins off the beets with paper towels.  The beets can then be sliced, diced, and dressed as you like.  I usually add a bit of butter and vineger, but orange juice is a good complement as well.

I think roasting them works better than boiling, since boiling saps away some of the flavor.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2007, 05:20:49 PM »

Thank you, DR SWoody. It sounds delish.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2007, 05:21:06 PM »

Everybody hum!

Hmmmmm.  Hmmmmm.  Hmmmmm-mmmm-mmmm-mmmm-mmmmm!

(Uh, maybe next time we should have someone pick a key, so we can all hum together.   :-\)

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #261 on: August 07, 2007, 05:21:58 PM »

Some of us aren't even really on any key.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2007, 05:25:54 PM »

Time for me to get to the kitchen.  Have a good time, all.

Ginny

« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »

Just loaded up a Bloomingdale's box with the contents of the storage drawer in the old stove.  I didn't want them to haul it away tomorrow with all my Farberware cookware still in it!  Not to mention the cast iron skillet I "inherited" when my best grad school friend and her then-husband left Ann Arbor to move back to California.  It's been "ripening" for 34 years and is just the way I like it!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 06:48:29 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2007, 06:29:53 PM »

OK, flights are booked.  DH Richard and I are scheduled to arrive at LaGuardia about 11am on Saturday, September 29, which should put us into the City by early afternoon.

Here's the goofy thing:  We're about the same distance from Dayton and Cincinnati airports.  By flying Dayton/Cincinnati/LGA we're spending $80 less apiece than Cincinnati/LGA.  And it's the same flight out of Cincinnati either way  ::)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »

Noel, is your DW Joy helping out with your casting or is Geoff doing it himself?

Joy has contributed at a couple of our meetings, and held my hand through many hours of EPAs, but she's far too busy casting other shows (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels et al.) and, besides, Such Good Friends is not the sort of show she specializes in.  It's what Geoff specializes in.  That's how it works in offices: one casting associate with too much on the plate, hands project off to a more experienced casting associate who has the time to handle it.  Is there any other way?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2007, 07:47:23 PM »

Served how:

Steamed, broiled, baked?

Butter and cracked black pepper?
Healthy squeeze of lemon?
A nice dose of good Balsamic vinegar?
Gated good parmesan cheese?

Boiled, mashed, with melted Velveeta >:(

Outer, bitter leaves peeled off. Stems cut off. Cut in half with olive oil and spices brushed over them and then baked in a convection oven until CARMELIZED. Oh so goooood!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »

Is that the way a southern lady treats expensive millinery?

And her nice lady-like gloves are latex ;D

der Brucer

PS I think you're coverin' up!

I imagine it wasn't expensive, plus she took her hat off in the boat, and they went to commercial and there was a considerable amount of time that would have lapsed, so I think her hat went into the purse.

Look at the opening scene again and you'll see her put the hat in her purse.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2007, 07:50:33 PM »

Why such a slow evening here at haineshisway.com?  Most unseemly.  The apartment owner called and gave me a suggestion for the AC unit, and it worked, so I've got air again.

Edisaurus

« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »

What is fried beavertail?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up