Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WILTED  (Read 64890 times)

Cillaliz

Re:WILTED
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »

Julie (and Ginny),

I, like Noel, love the neighborhood. It's like stepping back in time to walk on Irving Place. I recently finished reading the Jack Finney book, Time and Again (which our own FJL's Skip musicalized) and much of it takes place in a brownstone on 19th and Irving Place. The entire neighborhood, including

The Players Club

at 16 Gramercy Park is so special. Walking there on a quiet spring morning or a snowy afternoon, with the flakes drifting down into Gramercy Park is just lovely.

I've been to a couple receptions at The Players Club.  It is a very interesting place and a very cool neighborhood

Julie

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2007, 11:18:16 AM »

And After Beautification:

Miss Blue Moon is a real beauty.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2007, 11:20:31 AM »

...Jack Finney book, Time and Again (which our own FJL's Skip musicalized)

Oh! Where have I been? Time and Again is one of my favorite books (and its sequel) - I didn't know the Corgi Brothers had musicalized it. I'm still hoping for a film!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Julie

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2007, 11:22:14 AM »

Thanks for the info on 71 Irving Place, Ben.  Looks great.  I've had brunch next door at Friend of a Farmer a few times, although not recently.  It's a great block.  The official Gramercy Park block - surrounding the actual park where the Players Club is located, is quite beautiful, and a very desirable address in the City.  An apartment there comes with it's own key to the Park - very exclusive.

Julie

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »

Off to clean the theatre and have ONE MORE rehearsal before we open tomorrow.....

Everyone stay cool.

It is now 91 degrees here heading for 97!

Final rehearsal vibes to JRand. The photos are wonderful.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2007, 11:24:25 AM »

[shadow=glow,width,#characters, wide] Happy Birthday, derBrucer! [/shadow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2007, 11:25:03 AM »

Cilla:

The poltical manipulators at about screwing Iowa:

NH is moving their primary to January, which might shove Iowa's back to New Years Day!

At this rate, we might awaken to a headline that says:

Presidential election was held yesterday!

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2007, 11:25:44 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] And a very merry UNbirthday to the rest of you![/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2007, 11:30:25 AM »

Oh! Where have I been? Time and Again is one of my favorite books (and its sequel) - I didn't know the Corgi Brothers had musicalized it. I'm still hoping for a film!

der Brucer

I didn't see the production. I only heard after the fact that Skip had written the music and lyrics for a production at The Old Globe in CA and Manhattan Theatre Club here in New York (in 2001). Here is the cast and crew for the MTC production:

TIME AND AGAIN
Book by Jack Viertel
Based on a book by Jack Finney
Additional story material by James Hart
Music and lyrics by Walter Edgar Kennon
Directed by Susan H. Schulman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cast: Laura Benanti (Julia Charbonneau)
Lewis Cleale (Si Morley)
Melissa Rain Anderson (Bessie)
Ann Arvia (Mrs. Carmody)
Jeff Edgerton (Felix Tiltzer)
Eric Michael Gillett (Edward Carmody)
Gregg Goodbrod (Young Doctor)
Christopher Innvar (Jake Pickering)
Patricia Kilgarriff (Aunt Evie)
Joseph Kolinski (Trolleyman)
George Masswohl (Mr. Harriman)
David McCallum (E E. Danziger and Cyrus Hogue)
Julia Murney (Kate Mancuso)
Amy Walsh (Clarisse)
Lauren Ward (Emily Hogue)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sets: Derek McLane
Costumes: Catherine Zuber
Lighting: Ken Billington
Sound: Brian Ronan
Music director: Kevin Stites
Fight director: Rick Sordelet
Choreography: Rob Ashford
Running Time: 2 hours, plus 15 minute intermission
Manhattan Theatre Club (in association with Musical Theatre Works)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »

REPORT: LIBERIAN ONCE CHARGED WITH CHILD RAPE REARRESTED

You book-pushers are so bad!

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2007, 11:38:47 AM »

THank you Ginny...

He has not found a tenure track job yet but will be working at NDSU as an instructor this year until he finds something.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2007, 11:38:48 AM »

Der Brucer - Skip wrote the songs for teh musical Time and Again (he was going by the name Walter then).  The reviews at the Old Globe in San Diego were promising but not ideal, so it took several years to get to Manhattan Theatre Club in NYC, where the reception was (to say the least) much less promising overall.

Here's the Variety review from the Old Globe.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117905328.html?categoryid=31&cs=1&query=walter+edgar

Jennifer

« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »

I'm curious what those who watch BIG BROTHER think of the banner plane!

Btw (live feed comment), looks like amber's comments have caused quite a stir. Will CBS air them?

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »

Blue Moon is gorgeous!

FJL

« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »

And here's Ken Mandelbaum's review of the New York production of Skip's musical of Time and Again:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=4675

Brantley in the Times was even more negative then Mandelbaum, so I hope no one has the bad taste to post Brantley's review here!  :)

But here's Mandelbaum's discussion of the differences between San Diego and NYC:

Time Tries Again
by Ken Mandelbaum

Review: TIME AND AGAIN

For those like myself who can't resist staring at old photographs of New York and longing to actually be back there, Jack Finney's novel Time and Again is pretty much irresistible.

But there's a catch to adapting it to another medium. The novel has a nifty plot, involving advertising illustrator Si Morley, who, both out of a fascination for sights and styles of earlier times and a desire to solve a mystery in his girlfriend's family, joins an experimental government project on time travel that sends him back to Manhattan in 1882. But just as important as the plot is the book's vivid evocation of New York in that era, the lengthily detailed descriptions bolstered by photo illustrations. The latter third of the novel is action-packed suspense and boasts a tour-de-force section describing a conflagration and its aftermath.

Because of this, the novel is perhaps a more natural property for film than the stage; a movie might be able to recreate the period in a way no theatrical production could. But even a film couldn't capture the first-person voice of the novel, which allows us to see things in both eras through Si's viewpoint and perceptive commentary.

The stage life of the musical version by Jack Viertel (book) and Walter Edgar Kennon (music and lyrics) extends back to readings in 1993, but the show had its official premiere in 1996 at San Diego's Old Globe, directed by Jack O'Brien (The Full Monty), starring Howard McGillin and Rebecca Luker, and announced for an opening at the Martin Beck Theatre. The Old Globe version made a number of significant alterations to its source. To cite just a couple: While the mystery that provokes Si's journey belonged in the novel to Kate, at the Old Globe it involved Si's grandfather. In the San Diego show, villain Jake Pickering dies in the fire, while in the novel he lives to assume the identity of the man he was blackmailing.

But for the most part, the Old Globe version was faithful to the novel's action, and the result was, if not disastrous, plodding and overloaded with plot. The reason why the musical didn't vanish at that point was that, in addition to the appeal of its source, the show came to life on a number of occasions thanks to some ravishing songs, most notably a duet for the two women in Si's life, "Who Are You Anyway?," and the near-title song ("Time and Time Again"), the kind of soaring love duet for which one searches in vain in contemporary opera.

After further development in workshop, Time and Again is at last having its New York premiere at Manhattan Theatre Club's intimate City Center Stage II, and that's part of the problem with the current production. Kennon's score is old-fashioned, lush, and full-bodied, the sort of thing that demands what it had at the Old Globe, an orchestra boasting 20 musicians. While the music has for the MTC version been attractively arranged for two pianos, it's a score that cries out for the full orchestration that would match the kind of operatic singing required of several of the principals.

Ten of the songs heard at the Old Globe have been retained, with three or four new ones introduced. But the score has undergone far less alteration than the book: While the new Time and Again retains the central time travel theme, the blackmail plot, and other elements from the novel, it features what is in many respects a new story that deviates sharply from the source. Si is now a partner with Kate in an ad agency, his recent promotion owed to the campaign he created for a new fragrance, its logo the haunting face of a 19th century woman. Where Si once agreed to his journey in order to uncover the story behind a mysterious letter, he's now persuaded to journey back when government scientist Dr. Danziger produces a portrait of the same woman's face, drawn a century ago by none other than Si himself. The face in the portrait will, of course, come to life as heroine Julia, the woman he meets and falls in love with during his trip to the past.

With more echoes of Brigadoon and Portrait of Jennie than before, the new version is also much more interested in the social conditions of the earlier era, with Julia, demure at the Old Globe, now more complex and assertive, a fighter for civil rights and women's suffrage, a believer in democracy as symbolized by the Statue of Liberty, but pragmatic about her economic status and the choices she must make because of it. (One charming Old Globe song, "Fairy-Tale Life," is gone, as it wouldn't have fit the new Julia.) Wholly new characters include the operetta soubrette who is Dr. Danziger's grandmother, thus explaining his possession of the old portrait. (Note that the program credits James Hart with "additional story material," although Hart gets no program bio.)

Some of this is for the better; it's nice that Si now has a more romantic motivation for his journey. But the show remains overplotted, the first half hour still discouraging. As at the Old Globe, the experiment is set up too hastily; where the novel had the luxury of expending many pages describing its modus operandi, it must be taken care of in minutes here, so we never fully buy into it.

In addition to depriving the score of its richness, the new production--with a cast of 15 in a small playing area with the audience on three sides--can't compete with the Old Globe version, much less the novel, in terms of conveying the reality of the past. While director Susan H. Schulman supplies a fairly intricate staging for such a limited space and the sets (Derek McLane) and costumes (Catherine Zuber) are attractive given the budget, one isn't transported the first time Si manages the trick of leaving the present, or when Si brings Julia with him into the modern world.

But no show with as many lovely songs can be a washout, and in addition to the duets noted above, there are big, aria-like outbursts ("Who Would Have Thought It?") and quieter things ("She Dies") for Si; fine numbers for the heroine ("What of Love?," "I Know This House"); a creepy musical scene ("Carrara Marble") for the villain and his victim; and some adept pastiche for the musical show in which the actress is appearing.

With Joseph Kolinski the only holdover from the Old Globe, the cast works hard, with a fair amount of doubling. Laura Benanti is an enchanting singing actress; if the role of Julia doesn't allow her to cut loose and have fun as she did in The Sound of Music or Wonderful Town, she's a pleasure to watch, a leading lady here to stay. In the demanding role of Si, Lewis Cleale is at times stiff or nerdy, but is mostly appealing and in good voice.

I can't seem to get enough of Julia Murney's singing. If her third consecutive Manhattan Theatre Club musical doesn't give her nearly as much to sing as The Wild Party (what show ever will?), it offers more than she had in A Class Act, and her duet with Benanti on "Who Are You Anyway?" is the evening's high point. As Kate, Murney shines in her good solo ("The Right Look") and demonstrates a flair for delivering a droll remark, winning exit applause for her final one.

Lauren Ward is at her most aggressive, but it's appropriate for the role of the actress. As Pickering, it's nice to see Christopher Innvar (Floyd Collins) in good voice again after a bad patch that saw him depart prematurely from A New Brain. David McCallum does about as well as possible in the dual role of Danziger and Ward's father, and the veteran actor can even sing a little.

Time and Again is a worthy attempt at a traditional book musical with a score often unashamedly in the operetta mode. I wish I could say that, after so many years of development, it has now found satisfying form. But it's a musical that really requires a sizable production, rather than this chamber mounting. If the result is respectable and worth seeing just for the best of the musical numbers, the piece remains uncomfortable and unfulfilled. Time and Again is in something of its own time warp, between the fuller but unnecessarily dutiful Old Globe version and the more original but undernourished MTC one. Perhaps Finney's novel should have been a movie.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:01:55 PM by FJL »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2007, 11:46:47 AM »

I am back at work from my morning dance call for The Brain. It was quickly apparent to me that I was in a bit over my head with the dancing. Since I knew there was no way I was going to be able to pick up the routine as quickly as everyone was moving, I just relaxed and had fun, trying to learn as much as I could. There were some amazing dancers, and of course cute, sweaty boys.  What more could a girl ask for on a Wednesday morning?!

Ginny

« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »

DR TPunk - you have a great attitude!  How's your cough?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »

DR TPunk - you have a great attitude!  How's your cough?

Thanks Ginny! The cough is about the same. I still haven't had a successful night of sleep. I had a brain flash at about 4:30AM and realized that my "cold" started about the same time that I began watching the kittens Helter and Skelter- I tried using my inhaler and that actually helped... I can't believe I hadn't made the connection until now but I guess that the lack of sleep has dulled my brain.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »

(he was going by the name Walter then).

(I'll omit the Walter/Wendy bit)

Gee - all amateurs:

Starring:
Howard McGillin
Rebecca Luker

Choreography, Kathleen Marshall

Imagine bankrolling that group in NYC today!

The themes certainly lend themselves to lush musicality, but the necessary plot machinations must make things difficult. Much of the charm of the novel is in it's detailed recreation of early-times NYC.

Having done Time and Again, maybe Skip should try musicalizing Caleb Carr's The Alienist! - there's a challenge!

Thanx for the link.

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »

I'm curious what those who watch BIG BROTHER think of the banner plane!

Btw (live feed comment), looks like amber's comments have caused quite a stir. Will CBS air them?

I think the banner planes ought to be allowed just as long as EVERYone gets a chance to be skewered.

Of all the liars in the house, Eric is the least offensive since his lies are dictated by America via Big Brother.  Amber is another story...but even she pales compared to self-righteous hypocrite Evil Dick.

As for Amber's live feed comments....I think the rest of the house ought to hear what she said to Jameka.  And I think Jameka should confide in others about it.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2007, 12:15:56 PM »

Alrightee, I must get some work done. Toodles!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »

REPORT: LIBERIAN ONCE CHARGED WITH CHILD RAPE REARRESTED

You book-pushers are so bad!

der Brucer

Very funny, derBrucer.  I kept looking at the headline and thinking it raad "Lesbian" instead of "Liberian" and trying to figure out what makes a "Lesbian" a book-pusher.

Then I figgered it out.  And then I looked at the story.  And then I laughed.

I have good days and I have bad days.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2007, 12:22:21 PM »

Wow. The NYC storm is on our local news.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »

And here's Ken Mandelbaum's review of the New York production of Skip's musical of Time and Again:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=4675

Sounds like we need to dump the book (keep a "based on an idea by" link if necessary) and providea less complex plot to support the score. Aim for a minimalist set and save the budget for musicians.

Had my PowerBall win Saturday been for more that the tickets cost, I could be a willing Angel!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 12:27:08 PM by DERBRUCER »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:23 PM »

Miss Blue Moon is lovely!  Thanks for the pics!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2007, 12:26:30 PM »

I have good days and I have bad days.
Oh, don't we all :D

der Brucer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2007, 12:33:45 PM »

DR Noel, I would be interested in finding an independent coffee shop near the Wellington (@57 & 7th I think). This is one of our first requirements whenever we stay somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2007, 12:34:50 PM »

Der B---I just loaded the new episode of THE CLOSER and Kyra is again wearing her floppy white hat to the crime scene, so she didn't leave it on the boat as you had feared!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »

For those of you who think NYC is glamorous, I am back home from what has been a hellish lousy day of maneuvering.  I got the the subway at 9:50 am to find it packed and to be told they were only running to 34th Street.  That was okay since that was the stop I wanted, only the fucking trains weren't running.  Every bus running down Broadway was like a sardine can and anyone who could drive had a car so the traffic on Broadway, which I walked down to 63rd Street, was a a standstill.  The asshole MTA, which is clearly prepared to do two things - not deal with an emergency situation and raise fares for continual pathetic service - hadn't enough buses to cope so I sat on a parkbench at 63rd and Broadway for an hour.  First three No. 7 buses, all jammed stopped,  Then an empty No. 7 drove by with a sign saying something crappy like "wait for the next."

Finally, after seeing none for over 30 minutes, four No. 104 buses, all jam packed, arrived together as if afraid to not travel in herds.  I decided to cross over to Lincoln Center and take a No. 9 bus to find a huge crowd waiting and every No. 9,which seemed to arrive every 15 minutes or so, completely packed.  At 11:45 I decided to see how the subway was looking and the train that arrived seemed nearly empty.  I arrived at the auditions at about noon.

After the auditions, I figuredthe crisis was over so I walked to 42nd Street with Adam, the choreographer, where I missed a local train, which was clearly packed because the congestion on the platform was ridiculous.  What the hell is the MTA doing?  So I went back upstairs after waiting and sweating too long for trains that were clearly not running, but at the 42nd Street bus stop for the 104, there was a crowd and not a bus in sight.  I walked to 8th Avenue to hail a cab, waiting for a good 10 minutes or longer and a young lady stepped out in front of me and hailed the cab waiting for the light.  Thew asshole driver stopped for her, I complained, and when she said the equivalent of "tough tittie" to me, I told her explicitly where to shove the cab along with the horse she rode in on.

I walked down Eighth Avenue to 40th Street and caught a cab.  It took me around 75 minutes to get back.  I will not be going back downtown tonight for any Hainsie/Kimlet gathering till I know that everything is once again running on some semblance of a schedule.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »

RE: Big Brother

I am so rooting for Eric to stay...I really, really dislike Evil Dick...I end up liking Jessica more and more each week.

I miss Nick and Mike.

Everytime Amber cries in the diary room (which appears to be every time she is in the diary room) I just laugh... I can't help it...it is almost likea running gag or something. She is sweet person, I think.

PS: I don't get the live feed so I avoid any discussion of that due to not wanting to see any spoilers (not that it would be a catastrophe or anything, however).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up