Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BRAVO AND THE RASPBERRY  (Read 91843 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE BRAVO AND THE RASPBERRY
« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2007, 02:37:15 PM »

Will we never get to page nine?

I'm sure it's coming right up!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »

Oops! Can't do a Harry Potter page dance yet. I haven't hooked up my printer/scanner to the new computer, so I'll owe the site a HP pic.

Matt H.

« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »

What will DR MattH say to that?......

I came up with something. . . .

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »

Oh, I won't be in NY.  Can you email me so I know what the surprise is? :o :)

Jane, I doubt that I'll be in NY, either--it looks like I'll have a major schedule conflict. But I'll be happy to tell you once I tell Miss karen.

Miss Karen

« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »

DR Elmo ~ What are you doing on here? Shouldn't you be getting all dolled up for tonight's Bukowsical opening?  Give Book-Key a bug hug from his mother. Wish I could be there to go with you ... and lock one of those actors in the bathroom just prior... I'm only kidding (as she adjusts the halo perched on the pair of little horns atop her smiling face)

Miss Karen

« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »

Jane, I doubt that I'll be in NY, either--it looks like I'll have a major schedule conflict.

Well, that's no fun  :'( -- we'll just have to unconflict it...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2007, 02:41:44 PM »

True to form I put on a DVD and fell asleep for about twenty minutes - then got a call from our very own Mr. Kevin Spirtas, and we had a nice chat.  Then I went back and watched what I'd slept through, and now I'm hooked on the film.

Miss Karen

« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »

But I'll be happy to tell you once I tell Miss karen.

Tell, tell -- even if you get unconflicted and get to NYC, I can pretend to be surprised (I'm very good at pretending stuff) ...

Matt H.

« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »

I began my afternoon viewing by finishing THE HOUSE OF FEAR which I had started last night. Just as good as always, and the restored DVDs continue to look just wonderful compared to the lousy copies I used to suffer through.

Matt H.

« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »

Next, I put in another Rathbone/Holmes film - THE SCARLET CLAW. This DVD had a five minute discussion on restoring the Holmes films to DVD. It could have been three times longer than it was, but I still enjoyed seeing it again.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #250 on: August 11, 2007, 02:45:01 PM »

All of that sluggish start-up loading and updating seems to be over with, and now it's operating beautifully. Very fast and very smooth. I'm going to enjoy using this computer.

DR MATTH is MUCH better with electronics than I am.   ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »

And I then started THE SCARLET CLAW but with the audio commentary track on. I had listened to this once before, but it's a very enjoyable track as the commentator identifies all of the supporting and even bit players and talks about their links to other Holmes films. Quite interesting and well researched and delivered.

Miss Karen

« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2007, 02:46:05 PM »

Hey speaking of Bukowsical opening, didn't our most E and T DR Naomi at one point say he had tickets to it?  If you see him, DR ELmo, ask him what the hay is going on -- our posting totals are way below average without him...

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2007, 02:46:22 PM »

DR MATTH is MUCH better with electronics than I am.   ;)

Not better, just more patient (for awhile anyway).

Miss Karen

« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2007, 02:48:28 PM »

Oh look, FiFiLePew is back.  You just missed Francois -- he was on a little earlier -- and we were discussing Pepe ...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:52:19 PM by Miss Karen »

Miss Karen

« Reply #255 on: August 11, 2007, 02:52:03 PM »

I came up with something. . . .

We can always pretend ... as my folks told me I always said when I was little in my heavy Texas drawl, we can:

"plike" (play like)

Jennifer

« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2007, 02:53:07 PM »

Vibes to DD Bosco and cason. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miss Karen

« Reply #257 on: August 11, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »

Enough stalling, I simply must get on to some projects. I just couldn't seem to keep from returning to HHW today -- like a moth to the flame. (And of course I'm trying to fill in for DR ColeSlaw,-- big shoes, I know, which there is no way I can fill, but I'm compelled to do what little I can) ...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: August 11, 2007, 03:02:53 PM »

Not better, just more patient (for awhile anyway).

Not just more patient.

Part of my problem, aside from not being mechanically-inclined, is that I spent many years in software. That's SOFTware, not hardware. I'm from the old days, when software got debugged and there was at least an attempt at hardcopy documentation. I am appalled at some of the stuff that Microsoft releases. There's just no excuse for it. They have the money, they have the resources. They choose to release software that hasn't been fully tested or debugged. This is a business decision. I also have major design issues with their products. Software doesn't have to be so difficult to use. As a former programmer and software designer, when I have a problem I at least have a clue where to start. I really feel for the non-savvy users. I just don't have much tolerance for poor quality anymore and I don't feel that a computer user should have to know a great deal about their system; it should be easy.

END OF RANT.

Do I sound like BK or something?

Der Brucer may disagree with me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #259 on: August 11, 2007, 03:04:59 PM »

I'm just bidin' my time, 'cause that's the kind of guy I'm.  Just perused an unfinished copy of the NYMF program and must say that The Brain has the smallest ad in there - which actually kind of baffles me, given the cries of money woes.  Had I known we were the smallest, I might have popped for the next size, which is what everyone seems to have done.  Oh, well - no one tells you these things, then there's no way to know, is there?  Well, we'll  just have to be the little show that could.

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: August 11, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »

Voting ends today for the 2008 Big Read title.  Should I vote for:

Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas

OR

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

OR

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver?

I really enjoyed Water for Elephants. I haven't read the others

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: August 11, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »

Good morning dear DR Ciwwa ..... I guess I hadn't realized that you were a "fellow" Prius driver.  I'm on my second one now, and I've never had a car that I liked any better, as far as performance, solidness, quiet insulation, no problems, and of course mileage.

I wonder if any other H/Ks or DRs are also in the Prius fraternity (or sorority, if you prefer) ?

I'm on my second Prius too. I had a 2002 that I drove for 2 1/2 years before I decided to trade up to the new body style.  I loved the old one, but this one is better for me, I like the hatchback

Matt H.

« Reply #262 on: August 11, 2007, 03:14:28 PM »

Not just more patient.

Part of my problem, aside from not being mechanically-inclined, is that I spent many years in software. That's SOFTware, not hardware. I'm from the old days, when software got debugged and there was at least an attempt at hardcopy documentation. I am appalled at some of the stuff that Microsoft releases. There's just no excuse for it. They have the money, they have the resources. They choose to release software that hasn't been fully tested or debugged. This is a business decision. I also have major design issues with their products. Software doesn't have to be so difficult to use. As a former programmer and software designer, when I have a problem I at least have a clue where to start. I really feel for the non-savvy users. I just don't have much tolerance for poor quality anymore and I don't feel that a computer user should have to know a great deal about their system; it should be easy.

END OF RANT.

Do I sound like BK or something?

Der Brucer may disagree with me.

Well, you're speaking from a much more knowledgeable position than I'm in. I have somehow managed to be self-taught in the various electronics I like, and things have worked for me with a slight learning curve. I do marvel how programs keep getting bigger and bigger (in terms of space needed to load and use) instead of making them sleeker and effecient. The answer always seems to be: just add more memory and a larger hard drive. Well, I don't like that! Consequently, I rarely buy any new software for these computers. I use what I already have and just keep putting it back on each computer I buy.

For example, I use Word 2000. I don't have the complete Office suite. I don't need those other components. Word 2000 works beautifully for me, and it's been added to every computer I've owned since I bought/upgraded it.

Matt H.

« Reply #263 on: August 11, 2007, 03:15:22 PM »

Now, I'm going to log off and see if I can't add my printer/scanner to this computer. Hopefully, it's going to be plug and play.

WBBL.

Tomovoz

« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »

DR Jeanne - "Hustle" is indeed a delightful romp with characters you want to see win.  The whole premsise of conning those who deserve it - is great.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #265 on: August 11, 2007, 03:17:27 PM »

Ohh...

And would there be the possibility of a HHW Brunch on Monday, October 1?  Depending upon when everyone is heading out.

Would love to but we head out in the morning

Tomovoz

« Reply #266 on: August 11, 2007, 03:18:45 PM »

DR François - many of our fellow DRs are so young they would not even know the son of Allan Jones.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #267 on: August 11, 2007, 03:18:54 PM »

I bought a new computer last year and was so annoyed at all the "kinks" that I went back to using my old one. The new one now sits in a box, shoved aside. Who has time to deinstall all that cr*p? I think I'll buy an Apple.

I have 2 vista computers at the office.  They can be annoying at times, but you can turn off most of the annoying features

Cillaliz

« Reply #268 on: August 11, 2007, 03:20:12 PM »

LOL, DR Miss Karen!  I was just wondering if anyone else had HHW dreams - I'm so relieved to find out I'm not the only one!

BTW, fall is my favorite season, too.  May I join the sorority?

I love the fall

Tomovoz

« Reply #269 on: August 11, 2007, 03:21:26 PM »

I associate Pedro more With Mr Tauber and Mr Schmidt.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17   Go Up