Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 82441 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WELL, DEAR READERS
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:59:56 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes bespoke tidily, and now it is time for you to post until the well, dear cows come home.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:13:01 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:00:46 AM »

And the word of the day is: INTERCALARY!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:38:17 AM »

Post # 2!!  Huzzah!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:39:48 AM »

And now, something that has absolutely nothing to do with neither the Topic of the Day nor the Word of the Day:  Tonight, I'm going to see Young[/b][/u] Frankenstein[/u][/b], the new musical by Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan!!  I can't wait! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:20:24 AM »

***SAFE & EASY TRAVEL VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR elmore3003!

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 01:26:01 AM »

What he said DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:30:35 AM »

TOTD:
Trains:
my first long distance (as in over night) train jounrey was from Melbourne to Sydney and then on further to my Woy Woy (a Spike Milligan reference).
It would have been about 1951. Our States at that time had different railway gauges and the border meant a change of train.  It was quite exciting to have a sleeping compartment on the train. The train ride onwards north of Sydney was quite wonderful - it was the first time I have travelled through tunnels!  There are no railway unnels in my home state.
Since then I have travelled around much of Europe by train, have crossed this continent and also crossed Canada from Toronto to Vancouver.

I like train travel.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 01:33:42 AM »

My first (and only major) journey by ship was from Melbourne to London via the Panama Canal back in 1973.  (Not sailing ship in 1873!). It was an interesting experience but as I am not a particularly social person, I spend much time reading. My best memories are of the ports of call rather than the journey itself.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »

My first aeroplane was in about 1970 - to Tasmania.
My first major journey by air was returning from London in 1973.

I do not like plane journeys at all.  The 24+ hour flights I have taken from Melbourne to New York and from Melbourne to London have never been pleasant experiences for me. I do prefer to fly with Qantas Airlines. I would rather not fly British Airways and my experience with internal USA flights, did not give me much confidence!

I do not enjoy watching movies on planes (and now will not do it). I try and lose myself in not too demanding reading. Best journey was when I was able to enjoy the "Tales Of the City" books.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:04:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  The alarm at 3:50 am was not a pleasant experience, but I am all set to get on a train and visit the Library of Congress.

I have nothing to report but my being E&T all day.

Howdy, DR tomovoz!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 02:06:32 AM »

Hiya Larry.
James Thurber 1957

singdaw

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 02:11:59 AM »

Such distinguished gentlemen, and so early in the morning!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 02:14:43 AM »

If you wish to download and save NPR's one-hour bio of Jule Styne, Let Me Entertain You -The Songs of Jule Styne, you can do so HERE.  

Warning:  it does take about half an hour with a broadband connection.

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 03:53:08 AM »

Good morning! Boy did I have a rude awakening.  I have been thinking for over a week that I have a bat in the house.  Boo has been literally climbing the windows and was doing that before I went to sleep last night.  Well, we had a bat...I say "had" because by the time I woke up, grabbed the butterfly net and ran to the hallway where I heard the cats and the screeching of the bat...the cats had attacked the bat and it was laying on the floor close to death.   That's the good news...the bad news is there was bat blood on the floor, on the walls, on the cupboard door and even on the ceiling!!!

Needless to say I'm up and not going back to sleep.  I have cleaned up the mess, put the dead bat in a plastic bag, sealed it and put it in the garage.  

The cats weren't happy that I took their prey, but I did praise them and give them treats.   Today I will call the guy who guaranteed me that I wouldn't have any bats getting into the house.  Hopefully he can seal things up again.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:54:29 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 03:59:45 AM »

When I expressed concern about a bat biting the cats last year, he was one of the people who assured me that cats can really do a number on bats.  Guess he was right.

BTW, the butterfly net would have worked great if the cats hadn't gotten the bat. I used it to get rid of the bat, so I had to wash it out too. I will keep it handy in the bedroom just in case

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 04:04:02 AM »

I think I'm finally calming down.  I let out a scream, but only one before grabbing the net and saying out loud "I KNEW it" While I don't promote killing bats, I have to admit I'm glad to know the cats can do it and will do it.   I think Boo was the prime mover in the hunt.  I didn't see any blood on either cat. I am hoping they weren't bitten. I don't think so. They did just have their rabies shot, so if they were bitten they should be ok,.

Cillaliz

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 04:07:32 AM »

TOD - I grew up near a lake so I don't remember my first boat ride. I'm sure I was very little.

I think my first plane ride was when I was in 8th grade and my dad and I flew from Sioux Falls, SD to LAX on Western Airlines where we went to Disneyland and then rented a car and drove to Palm Springs where we stayed with my grandparents for a week or so and then drove them in their car back to their home in Iowa.

I do remember going up in a small plane with my dad when he was looking at something for work. (he's a lawyer too) I don't think it was before the trip to LA.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:11:02 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 04:10:11 AM »

Train trip - I've never been on an overnight passenger train. I don't remember my first train trip...perhaps when I was in high school and road the subway.

Cillaliz

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 04:11:29 AM »

Good morning Ben and Hello Tomovoz

Ben

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 04:15:59 AM »

Morning Cil and Tom.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 04:16:22 AM »

Wow, Bats!!!

Ben

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 04:16:57 AM »

My first plane trip was at 17 as a high school junior on my school trip to New York City and Washington, DC.

Tomovoz

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 04:27:22 AM »

Goodmorning DR Ben and DR Batwoman.

nice reminder of how lucky Oz is to not have rabies on the continent at all
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 04:42:54 AM »

Here I was all worried about getting up in time to get to an 8:00 AM breakfast gathering and here I am, dressed, almost ready to go and it's only 6:35, lol   I must be bats!

Cillaliz

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 04:45:39 AM »

Another recall from products made in China.  This time I think it's kids jewelry, not totally clear, but it makes me want to just stay away from anything made in China

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 04:49:32 AM »

I remember an old joke about a priest having problems ridding his church of bats. His friend the minister from a nearby church said he had solved the problem.

Just like the human congregation - baptise them and they don't come back again until they are nearly ready to meet their maker.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 04:49:51 AM »

Hello DR TCB.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 04:50:55 AM »

Tomorrow I am visiting to Zoo.  I shall be truant from HHW for much of the day.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:32 AM »

My first (and only major) journey by ship was from Melbourne to London via the Panama Canal back in 1973.  (Not sailing ship in 1873!). It was an interesting experience but as I am not a particularly social person, I spend much time reading. My best memories are of the ports of call rather than the journey itself.

"but as I am not a particularly social person"

Not a social person?  Mr. Oz how can you say that?  You are charming, witty, and urbane.  Not to mention the fact that both you and Colin are a joy to be around.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 04:56:43 AM »

Only when I'm with family DR TCB.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up