Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WELL, DEAR READERS  (Read 82448 times)

Ginny

Re:WELL, DEAR READERS
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »

And, The World in a City:  Traveling the Globe through the Neighborhoods of the New New York, due out in September:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:26:45 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »

Perhaps we should ask about people's first PROP plane flight.
Ewww!!!

Well, my first was uneventful, on the second the pilot crashed and totaled the plane, on my fourth I totaled the plane.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:02 AM »

Had this morning's casting conversation and we'll see how today goes.  Our latest offer for Joyce really wanted to do it, but has an eighteen month old baby and just couldn't work out those issues.  We're moving on to another today.

I'm amazed at how difficult it is to get the leads. I would think that many people would jump at the chance to do a NY show.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2007, 10:31:26 AM »

Well, my blue silk pantaloons are at the dryer...

Can't you buy some new ones in Brooklyn?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »

First Plane Ride:  Columbia SC to Orlando FL in June 1970, going from Fort Jackson SC (military indoctrination center) to Recruit Training Command Orlando (Navy boot camp).

First Train Ride:  Naples, Italy to Vicenza, Italy with changeovers in Rome and Bologna -- March 1973 (going from Navy Support Activity, Naples, my host command, to Vicenza, Italy, my designated duty station (Southern European Broadcasting, the Armed Forces Radio Network HQS in Italy).

First Ship Ride:  Corinth, Greece to Rimini, Italy in August 1975, leaving Greece where I had been assigned in Athens to return to Italy where I would be assigned to Naples for a tour of duty.   The ship was an auto carrier.  I drove into a hold and parked.  The trip took a day and a half (two overnights).  Interesting.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »

DR Cillaliz - I didn't realize your castle had a belfry.  ;)

My parents had friends who bought an old house back when I was a kid. After they bought it they had a party and I've never forgotten the rhyme on the invitations

There are bats in the belfrey,
The celler's full of mice,
Come inspect our lemon
The beer will be on ice.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »

Can't you buy some new ones in Brooklyn?

Tsk.  No!  It's August, you see, and all the blue silk pantaloons are long gone.  He could find some pink ones and some chartreuse ones, but they probably wouldn't show as well during auditions.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »

TOD:

First train ride: We moved from Ohio to New Orleans on the train when my father began his career with the public health service.

Shortly after we arrived, we all came down with the flu and my GaGa took the train down from Oiho to take care of us all.

First plane ride: After New Oreleans, we moved to Seattle. It was too far to drive home to Ohio for Christmas, so my mother and brother and I flew to Ohio.

One the plane was Jim Whittaker, the first American to climb Mt. Everest. He autographed the book I'd brought along, something I'm sure I had to get rid of on one of our many moves.

First boat ride: The ferry from Seattle to Vancouver Island. Butchart Gardens and the smell of tulips---I'll never forget that!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2007, 10:37:48 AM »

Der B, I didn't actually live in Perryville, but it was right next to Perrypoint, MD where my father was stationed. It was a big VA Hospital and my father ran the pharmaceutical depot. We used to love to drive the fork lifts around after hours!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2007, 10:38:24 AM »

Well, my first was uneventful, on the second the pilot crashed and totaled the plane, on my fourth I totaled the plane.

der Brucer

While still a novice traveller I flew in a prop over the English Channel. I was quite nervous. So much turbulence! Then, several years ago, I had to fly in props over Texas. OMG! Talk about a white-knuckle ride! I asked the flight attendant about it later and she said that it was always this way in summer, something to do with the winds. I'll take a large plane any day!

Edisaurus

« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »

Maybe DR Elmore will get home in time to watch the rest of THE CLOSER at 10PM...

Edisaurus

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »

My favorite train ride (I've taken a lot through Europe) was the Eurostar from London to Paris with my DH. Lovely scenery and almost as quick as flying there!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »

And DER BRUCER, what are your feelings about flying these days? Any trepidation?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »

My favorite train ride (I've taken a lot through Europe) was the Eurostar from London to Paris with my DH. Lovely scenery and almost as quick as flying there!

Ferry across the Channel?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2007, 10:40:33 AM »

My first PROP plane flight:  Hmmm....I'm not sure about the dates.  It was sometime in 1976, IIRC.  I was in "Come Blow Your Horn" at Caserma Ederle (in Vicenza, Italy).  The director was station manager of the radio station to which I was assigned.  The commander of the Southern European Task Force (SETAF) (Army command in charge of Army and Air Force facilities in Italy, Greece and Turkey) asked my boss if he could arrange to "tour" the military sites of SETAF with the play.  We had a two-week tour.  All the military got special leave (i.e. it didn't cost us any personal leave time) and TDY (temporary duty allowance).  The SETAF commander sent us out in two PROP planes with pilots/co-pilots.  We were a merry band of travelers.  I was afforded an opportunity to sit in co-pilot's seat and take the controls as we neared Mt. Olympus.  It was quite a THRILL.

My first Helicopter Ride:  During the same trip, we went to one remote site in Turkey in helicopters.

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2007, 10:41:56 AM »

More book review reading for me today - here's one due out in October that may interest some:

This looks interesting. My 5th and 6th grade teacher (he went from one grade to the other) and neighbor at the lake was in the service with Charles Schulz. He used to tell us stories about him. I don't remember them but I remember hearing them

Edisaurus

« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2007, 10:44:13 AM »

Ferry across the Channel?

The "Chunnel"---underwater tunnel. A little scary, at first!

Ginny

« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »

And one for DR MBarnum:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2007, 10:53:35 AM »

And another for DR MBarnum:

singdaw

« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »

The "Chunnel"---underwater tunnel. A little scary, at first!

The last time I was in London, I used my free day to hop the Chunnel to Paris for a magical 18 hours - my first time there.  Must get back!

Ginny

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »

And one for DR Edi, Sacco and Vanzetti: The Men, the Murders, and the Judgment of Mankind, by Bruce Watson:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 11:06:00 AM by Ginny »

Edisaurus

« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2007, 11:06:38 AM »

And one for DR Edi:

Thank you, Ginny!

and just as a reminder, this DVD comes out next week!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2007, 11:11:41 AM »

TOD

What was the first time you were on a plane:

1958 - Flew from Baltimore to Boston on a turbo-prop (Went to BC to represent Annapolis in a Forensics competition - won a trophy for my pairing of The Hollowmen with an excerpt from The Secret Sharer).

Train - circa 1954 - Philadelphia to Boston (My Boy Scout leader took me for the weekend - and the answer to the question is YES!)

Boat - well, I guess the paddle boats on Saylor's Lake in the Poconos don't count, so the next boat trip was in 1956 when I crewed on a Navy Ship from Philadelphia to Provincetown Mass (YES, again).

Boat wise I've been to Canada, Greenland, Cuba, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Malta, Crete, Greece, Turkey, Japan, Viet Nam (actually a helo trip from ship to share), Hong Kong, Philippines, Hawaii, Panama, Jamaica, Columbia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Bermuda, and lots of Caribbean spots.

Air travel adds England, Holland, Austria, Switzerland and East Germany to the list.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »

While still a novice traveller I flew in a prop over the English Channel. I was quite nervous. So much turbulence! Then, several years ago, I had to fly in props over Texas. OMG! Talk about a white-knuckle ride! I asked the flight attendant about it later and she said that it was always this way in summer, something to do with the winds. I'll take a large plane any day!

When I was working for Howard and the Navy was picking up the bills, I used to regularly use an 8 seat commuter prop to go from Ontario Airport to LA, then Jet to Providence RI, then a four-seater prop from there to Newport - it was really fun!

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »

Good morning! Boy did I have a rude awakening.  I have been thinking for over a week that I have a bat in the house.  Boo has been literally climbing the windows and was doing that before I went to sleep last night.  Well, we had a bat...I say "had" because by the time I woke up, grabbed the butterfly net and ran to the hallway where I heard the cats and the screeching of the bat...the cats had attacked the bat and it was laying on the floor close to death.   That's the good news...the bad news is there was bat blood on the floor, on the walls, on the cupboard door and even on the ceiling!!!

Needless to say I'm up and not going back to sleep.  I have cleaned up the mess, put the dead bat in a plastic bag, sealed it and put it in the garage.  

The cats weren't happy that I took their prey, but I did praise them and give them treats.   Today I will call the guy who guaranteed me that I wouldn't have any bats getting into the house.  Hopefully he can seal things up again.

That's so weird!  My friend Kim (we were in Cannibal! The Musical together) e-mailed me last night that SHE had a bat in her house last night, too!  Fortunately, she and her husband were able to get the bat outside without any injuries to her, her husband, their kid or the bat. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2007, 11:21:03 AM »

And DER BRUCER, what are your feelings about flying these days? Any trepidation?

I love flying as long as there are no scheduled aircraft carrier landings (my first crash, or I am not expected to pilot the plane (my second misadventure).

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »

And I can't wait for your report!!!

Neither can I!!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »

One of my fondest boat memories is from about 10 years ago.  My DH and I and another couple traveled the canals in the Netherlands in a small rented boat for about a week and half.  We slept on the boat in marinas to save money.  We didn't travel very fast, but we sure saw the country from a different perspective!

singdaw

« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »

- and the answer to the question is YES!)

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »

Does anyone find this as frightening as anything you've ever seen in your lifetime?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up