Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: WE'RE ON OUR WAY  (Read 115647 times)

singdaw

Re:WE'RE ON OUR WAY
« Reply #480 on: August 24, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »

DR François, you can share vignettes from your thrilling life with us anytime!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:04:41 PM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #481 on: August 24, 2007, 08:08:06 PM »

And, boy, is that Chris Evans easy on the eyes.

THIS Chris Evans?

François

« Reply #482 on: August 24, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »

Well... In the interest of "equal time"... And since I was in the neighborhood earlier this evening...

TOO MANY KEE'S CHOCOLATES and we ALL look like that!! :o :o ;)

François

« Reply #483 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09:28 PM »

THIS Chris Evans?

You mean there's more than one like that?!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #484 on: August 24, 2007, 08:09:58 PM »

Glad you had a fun day today, DR Jose.  You've worked very hard lately and deserve some fun!  Do you have to work on your birthday?

Right now, I'm not scheduled for any pit work this Sunday.  Which is OK.  However, I'm still not sure exactly what I want to do this Sunday.  I had checked to see if Steve could make it up to NYC this weekend, but he's swamped right now with a recording project for the Richmond Men's Chorus.  My friend, Andy, may come up Sunday, but I'm not counting on it due to some recent health issues that have affected his bank account.  :-\  So...

I've actually just been thinking of having a nice quiet day all to myself.  Just let things happen as they happen.  Meet up with people throughout the day.  -I'm also thinking of heading down to Richmond to see my folks and my nieces and nephew too.  Heck, I'll only be turning 39.  I'll save the big party for next year when I turn 39 again.  ;)

*I will say, the one notion that I think I may end up going with is just to spend the day doing things here in New York City that I have yet to do here in New York City: Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge... Take the Staten Island Ferry...  Go inside The Cathedral of St. John the Divine...  Ride the Carousel in Central Park...  Try to get a table at Rao's ;)... etc., etc., etc.  And then I'd couple that by taking a picture every hour on the hour - probably more often - just to document the day.

We'll see what other ideas come into my head over the next 36 hours.
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #485 on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:23 PM »

DR François, you can share vignettes from your thrilling life with us anytime!

Gee... you sure like to suffer! ;)

singdaw

« Reply #486 on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:39 PM »

DR François - No offense, but...Are you sure Florence isn't a man in drag?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #487 on: August 24, 2007, 08:10:59 PM »

But, now, I'm doing laundry.  Exciting, huh?
Make Your Own Luck.

François

François

« Reply #489 on: August 24, 2007, 08:14:35 PM »

DR François - No offense, but...Are you sure Florence isn't a man in drag?

Hummm... Florence is the author... but the pic is of Soeur Sourire (Debbie Reynolds to you) the real one who committed suicide some time ago!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #490 on: August 24, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - That sounds lovely.  And the Cathedral of St. John the Divine is definitely worth taking in...but you might want to wait.  The nave is completely closed off at the moment - still renovating after that horrible fire a few years back that so damaged the pipe organ.  You can only view the crossing, the choir, and the altar at the moment.  The crossing is still pretty impressive.  To give you an idea of the scale of the building, the Statue of Liberty would fit inside it!

François

« Reply #491 on: August 24, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »

You know:

"Dominique, nique, nique!"..... The Singing Nun!

singdaw

« Reply #492 on: August 24, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

Hummm... Florence is the author... but the pic is of Soeur Sourire (Debbie Reynolds to you) the real one who committed suicide some time ago!  :)

Spoo!  Didn't figure out it was a book cover.  Don't I feel dumb?!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #493 on: August 24, 2007, 08:17:16 PM »

bk - Glad to hear you have your Fred.  *Now you better hope that Shuler Hensley and James Barbour stay healthy while they're working on their current projects since Rob seems to be on speed-dial when either of them needs to be replaced.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #494 on: August 24, 2007, 08:17:59 PM »

But she still looks like a man in drag.

François

« Reply #495 on: August 24, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »

Don't I feel dumb?!

Welcome to the club! :)

François

« Reply #496 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »

But she still looks like a man in drag.

Well... she was a lesbian.... does this explain that?! Of course not, but...

She looks even "worse" now! :o

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #497 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »

Matt, when I first moved to the East Coast one of the ways I coped with the weather was to do a most of my errands in spring and fall. Obviously, that only works for certain things, but I'd really stock up on all I could so that I could avoid the hot, humid summer errand runs and the treacherous roads of winter. I know some people from the East thought it silly, but I had as much trouble as you with the humidity. Being in cars is the worst, I think, because there's so much glass.

Very wise. Unfortunately, these are errands that can't be helped: grocery shopping, post office mailings, etc. I am not one for motoring around in the car to pass the time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #498 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - That sounds lovely.  And the Cathedral of St. John the Divine is definitely worth taking in...but you might want to wait.  The nave is completely closed off at the moment - still renovating after that horrible fire a few years back that so damaged the pipe organ.  You can only view the crossing, the choir, and the altar at the moment.  The crossing is still pretty impressive.  To give you an idea of the scale of the building, the Statue of Liberty would fit inside it!

I've walked around the Cathedral many times, and that little fountain/sculpture garden always fascinates me.

If anything, I could go to Mass.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #499 on: August 24, 2007, 08:20:53 PM »

Singers like James Barbour and Ron Raines make me green with envy with their seemingly freakishly wide ranges!  Baritenors with surprisingly high extensions.

singdaw

« Reply #500 on: August 24, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »

If anything, I could go to Mass.

Oh, it's too late for you, honey.   ;)

François

« Reply #501 on: August 24, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »

the Singing Nun
Soeur Sourire

The Singing Nun was Jeanine Deckers (born Jeanne-Paule Marie Deckers; October 17 1933 – March 29 1985), a member (as Sister Luc Gabriel) of the Dominican Fichermont Convent in Belgium.

Popular in the convent for her music, she was encouraged by the other nuns to record an album in 1963. One song from that album, Dominique, soared to the top of the charts in the United States. Overnight, the Dominican nun was an international celebrity with the stage name of Soeur Sourire (Sister Smile). She gave concerts and appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964.

In 1966, a movie called The Singing Nun was made about her, starring Debbie Reynolds in the title role — Deckers rejected the film as "fictional".

As the 1960s progressed, Deckers stopped performing in favor of a more rigorous devotional life. In 1967, she left to pursue her musical career, though most of her earnings went to the convent. Despite her renewed musical emphasis, Deckers gradually faded into obscurity, possibly because of her own disdain for fame: her second album, released in 1967, was titled I Am Not a Star in Heaven.

Although she was deeply religious, she was also increasingly critical of the Roman Catholic Church's conservatism and eventually became an advocate of birth control. She also agreed with John Lennon's statements about Jesus in 1966. In 1967, she recorded a song entitled Glory Be to God for the Golden Pill — a paean to contraception — under the name Luc Dominique. It was as big a flop as Dominique had been a success.

Her musical career over, Deckers opened a school for autistic children in Belgium with her companion of ten years, Annie Pécher. In the early 1980s, the Belgian government claimed that she owed back taxes; she countered that the money was given to the convent and therefore exempt from taxes. Lacking any receipt to prove her donations to the convent and her religious order, Deckers ran into the heaviest of financial problems. One last attempt to resume her singing career failed in 1982. She and Pécher both died by an overdose of barbiturates and alcohol, and were buried together.

singdaw

« Reply #502 on: August 24, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »

This Chris Evans?

THAT'S the ticket!   :o

Matt H.

« Reply #503 on: August 24, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »

If the show is a hit & renewed I'm sure it will be on again.

The renewal for MAD MEN hasn't been annoucned yet, but it seems to be all but certain. It's the biggest series hit AMC has ever had.

François

« Reply #504 on: August 24, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »

Singers like James Barbour and Ron Raines make me green with envy with their seemingly freakishly wide ranges!  Baritenors with surprisingly high extensions.

Don't forget the one and only Anthony Warlow!

singdaw

« Reply #505 on: August 24, 2007, 08:25:34 PM »

Thanks, DR François - I had missed out on that strange, sad bit of pop culture.

singdaw

« Reply #506 on: August 24, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »

Don't forget the one and only Anthony Warlow!

Indeed!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #507 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:10 PM »

DR François, do you know if those concert clips of Anthony that you linked to some time back on YouTube are available commerically?

Matt H.

« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2007, 08:27:11 PM »

In an effort to shrink the amount of space VHS tapes take up, my DH figured out how to do this very thing. I was so impressed!
I can do it pretty easily, but have just been too lazy to think about it when free time makes itself known to me, so the stacks of them that I have remain on shelves taking up WAY too much space.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:28:43 PM by Matt H. »

singdaw

« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2007, 08:29:28 PM »

Never mind; I just checked.  The YouTube clips must have come from a televised concert.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21   Go Up