Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS  (Read 35154 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2007, 01:10:16 PM »

Today is the 59th Wedding Anniversary of my parents.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »

And if they don't - I'll bet you would be frequently browsing the aisles of that particular pharmacy!  ;)
:o  :o :o :o :o :o
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2007, 01:12:50 PM »

Today is the 59th Wedding Anniversary of my parents.

Of your parents what?
“One thing’s universal,

singdaw

« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2007, 01:23:17 PM »

are you certain you don't mean SNARKIEST?

:o

Snarky is as snarky does.

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »

The theater that I spent the most time in when I was young was The Proctor Theatre.  It was about two blocks from our first place in Tacoma, and maybe a mile from the house where I spent most of my youth.  I started out going to the Saturday matinees.  When I reached junior high, I switched, along with most of my friends, to the the Friday evening show.  It seems like I went every Friday night, although I am sure that I didn't.  This was the theater where I almost froze to death standing line for WIZARD OF OZ.  This is, also, the theater I went to the night that JFK was assasinated; and also the theater I was trapped in when the Columbus Day wind storm struck Tacoma without warning.

The only picture I could find was this one, when the theater was still called The Blue Mouse.  It is called that again now.  The photo may be old, but you do get to see Tomovoz's first automobile parked in front.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #275 on: September 25, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »

Could that have been THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE rather than THE SWORD IN THE STONE? I can't imagine Radio City Music Hall playing a 1963 film in 1977, even if it was Disney animated film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #276 on: September 25, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »

are you certain you don't mean SNARKIEST?

THANK YOU, td!   Finally....someone who doesn't think it's ME....

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2007, 01:26:42 PM »

Since I've just gotten on, I don't know if this site has been cited:
http://cinematreasures.org/

YEs, excellent site.  I've enjoyed reading what folks have said about my hometown...and I've contributed a few memories, as well.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »

The only picture I could find was this one, when the theater was still called The Blue Mouse.  It is called that again now.  The photo may be old, but you do get to see Tomovoz's first automobile parked in front.

Did he used to give you rides in it?  Or did you have to trudge one mile through the snow to get to the theater?

And what is the "story" abut that Columbus Day wind storm?????

Matt H.

« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2007, 01:32:13 PM »

I had a marvelous afternoon of relaxed viewing where I wasn't in a rush to finish anything, and just watched what I wanted.

I began with the new 50th Anniversary DVD of FUNNY FACE (comes out next Tuesday). Those who love the movie will be thrilled with this new transfer. Unlike the last one which was grainy and had excessive edge enhancement and contrast, this is silky smooth with superb color. I noticed only one little color problem and that happened in "He Loves and She Loves" due to that diffusion used to soften the picture. Astaire's sweater right at the end of the number seems to flicker a bit. Otherwise, the DVD handles all the sophisticated lighting amazingly well. That bistro number has all that smoke and many different colored lights, and the DVD was rock solid with all of it.

And I don't have to tell you how the fashion shoot sequence goes: sheer heaven on earth! Is this among the best movie musicals ever made? You bet it is!

FJL

« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2007, 01:33:35 PM »

Following up on Jose's post, my favorite Karen headline comes from AOL:

Say Hello To Karen
Tropical Storm Forms in Atlantic

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »

Back from a matinee of "The Brain." The audience was quite receptive, and we had an interesting mix of folk: Mr Kevin Spirtas, Jonathan Rayson who was cast as Fred but left the show for surgery, our casting man Michael Cassara, our beautiful blogger Juliana Hansen, Liz Callaway and husband Dan Foster, my friends Cathie and Alice who loved it and lauged at every joke, my best friend from college Matthew, and the wonderful DR Miss Karen.  I thought it went quite well, but I'll leave that to BK and Miss Karen.

My date for tomorrow's performance is our DR Jason! I ended up with an extra ticket so I posted a bulletin on MySpace this morning, and Jason's message was waiting for me when I got back.

I turned in the first 120 measures of the Plaza piece, and I've got 170 to write, so I'm off to work.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2007, 01:34:44 PM »

I also watched the two new documentaries on the disc. One was about Givenchy and the other was about how Paris played another main character in the film.

bk will be ecstatic to learn that one of his all-time favorites, Dr. Drew Casper, is one of the two talking heads in the Paris featurette.

Matt H.

« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2007, 01:36:45 PM »

After I finished with FUNNY FACE, I put in disc four of BONES and watched another episode on it. This was the one which featured murders which were patterned after the murder's in Temperance's best selling book. I remember at the time that I guessed the murderer's identity wrong then, and I didn't remember who it was this time either and geussed wrong again. Excellent episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »

When I go back down, I'll be starting on the DVD box set of CRIMINAL MINDS, season 2. That also came today along with CSI: NY, season 3.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »

Topic of the Day:  I've never been to a "movie palace," that I know of.  And I'd never heard of the term "grindhouse" until the recent movie came out. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »

Last night's ratings:

DANCING WITH THE STARS won the night in total viewers, not unexpected.

HEROES won the night in ratings for ages 18-49, the rating the advertisers look at the most carefully.

JOURNEYMAN and THE BACHELOR had just about the same sized audience, but THE BACHELOR had the bigger lead-in and blew it. CSI: MIAMI won the hour but with a significantly smaller audience than last season.

CHUCK finshed second in the time period to DANCING WITH THE STARS.

Matt H.

« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2007, 02:03:41 PM »

I'm heading back down to watch an episode of CRIMINAL MINDS and then last night's CSI: MIAMI.

WBBL.

singdaw

« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »

When I reached junior high, I switched

Well, that explains a lot...

;)

singdaw

« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2007, 02:15:21 PM »

Thanks for the Brain report, DR elmore3003.  Looking forward to hearing from others in attendance this afternoon.

singdaw

« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2007, 02:16:38 PM »

***CONGRATULATIONS***
to DR JRand57's parents on their milestone!

singdaw

« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2007, 02:20:20 PM »

Congratulations to Dawn Upshaw on her MacArthur Genius grant!

singdaw

« Reply #292 on: September 25, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »

Finally....someone who doesn't think it's ME....

They love me...they really love me!

;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #293 on: September 25, 2007, 02:22:28 PM »

Did he used to give you rides in it?  Or did you have to trudge one mile through the snow to get to the theater?

And what is the "story" abut that Columbus Day wind storm?????

The story sounds a lot more interesting than it is when I retell it; but it was pretty frightening for a 12 year old kid.  On Friday, October 12, 1962 there was a big wind storm that had hit Portland, Oregon that afternoon.   I remember hearing it being talked about on the evening news while I was eating dinner, but weather forecasting back then was a bit archaic.  So, my mom headed off to a meeting at church and I headed to the Proctor to see whatever was on the latest double bill.

About half way through the first feature, the film stopped and all the lights went out, except for the emergency lights.  It didn't seem like that big a deal, since the power went out a lot back then.  After about five minutes, with lots of whistling and clapping by us; the owner, Mr. Spencer, got up on stage and announced that there was a huge storm outside, that the power would probably remain off all evening, and that no one was allowed to leave the theater until they had contacted their parents on the box office telephone, and had arranged for a ride home.

Well, the word storm didn't sound very scary, but the fact that Mr. Spencer was going to let anyone use the box office telephone meant that we were really in crisis mode.  We ran up to the lobby, but the doors were barred and there was already a line at the box office to use the phone.  My friends and I ran upstairs to the Men's Room lobby where there windows that looked out on the street.  Sure enough, there was the  biggest storm I had ever seen raging outside, complete with signs, and limbs of trees, and garbage cans flying down the street.  

A little while later, I heard Mr. Spencer calling my name.  My mother and her friend had arrived from the canceled church meeting, and had stopped to pick me up.  I was released to my mother, although none of my friends were allowed to leave with me because they hadn't yet called their parents.  The drive home consisted of dodging downed power lines and falling trees.  It seemed like it took forever, even though we were only about a mile from the house.

Sadly (for me), our power was restored by morning, although some of friends from school had to survive for over a week with no power.  Although the stories of cold showers in the morning and having to cuddle in bed with your sister at night to stay warm sounded horrible, the idea of barbecue every night for dinner sounded really exciting to me.

Wikidedia has some interesting information on the storm.  It was even larger than the storm they called The Perfect Storm.  It was also called "The Big Blow" and not because I was in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm

“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #294 on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »

Back from our matinee and having a post-show drink.  All those lovely folks elmore mentioned were indeed there, along with Emily Skinner, Scott and Barbara Siegel and others.  We had a little less than half-a-house (would have been sold out in most of the smaller venues), but they were a good group.  The show was a little low energy for my taste, but a good one nonetheless.  A key moving light's bulb was out - I guess it never occurs to anyone to let people know such things so that it can be replaced.  It best be by tomorrow's show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #295 on: September 25, 2007, 02:27:57 PM »

Actually neither of the Grindhouse features did well in Europe.  The film was pretty much a bust everywhere.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #296 on: September 25, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »

DR SWW - sounds like you need a second DVR!

I have a DVR from Comcast that can record two different shows at the same time, and I've seriously been thinking about getting another one.  I have a DVR and a plain digital cable box.  If I swap the cable box for a DVR, it's only another $5 a month.  I can definitely afford that. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2007, 02:52:01 PM »

The story sounds a lot more interesting than it is when I retell it;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day_Storm

Now THAT's a story!  Thanks for your personal recollections AND the wikipedia link!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #298 on: September 25, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »

That's a scary storm story, TCB.

I've been in one Cat 1 hurricane, and we had a microburst overhead last summer. That's the worst I've ever been in.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #299 on: September 25, 2007, 03:15:50 PM »

The Webinar was actually pretty cool this afternoon. I just locked the office door, the sound is on the telephone and the powerpoint and handouts are on the computer. You can print them all off and listen.  There was even a 30 minute Q and A with some very good questions.  
I will definitely do that again
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up